Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I remembered a side scroller shooter ps1 where it was two kids who get sucked? into a book and they fly on a flying vacuum to kill monster version of fairy tale characters.

It was a japanese game and I remember the art being really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Kyuin

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Trying to recall a game from my childhood; it was from the old Atari age, but I'm thinking it was on the Coleco Vision? I don't really remember any of this game except that...I think you were a key, or you had to get a key. And if you waited too long, a monster would come and get you and it had scary music. I know this is super vague, but it's one of those things that I can't recall any of the details but if I see it or hear it, it'll fill in all the gaps.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Venture? You're a smiley face with a bow, and I could understand a child interpreting that as some kind of key thing. The other details mostly fit.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
I could also see it being "Adventure" for the regular Atari.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Adventure was my first thought, but no! It was Venture. Oh maaaan this video is pummeling me with nostalgia. One of the ROOMS is shaped like a key, agh, that I remember. Oh, the sounds! The music!

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Venture loving ruled. Still love that game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BallisticClipboard posted:

One was on a demo disk. It was a racing game but everyone was on skates and skateboards. I think it was a 989 Studios but I might associate them with every sports game on the PS1.

The "Xtreme" series of games were made by 989, so you might be thinking of 2Xtreme or 3Xtreme.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I am trying to remember the name of an old kid's horror game for the pc/mac. You were trapped in a mansion and had to find around 13 keys before the 13th hour (or something spooky to that effect). Each room of the house had a different minigame you could play for a key (or an item to later get a key) and monsters would randomly wander the mouse giving different effects. Like if you fed one, you got a key, if you found an angry one it would distort the scream and make you cry and hide under the bed. It was a pixel art game where there were still scenes that you would click on.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Donkringel posted:

I am trying to remember the name of an old kid's horror game for the pc/mac. You were trapped in a mansion and had to find around 13 keys before the 13th hour (or something spooky to that effect). Each room of the house had a different minigame you could play for a key (or an item to later get a key) and monsters would randomly wander the mouse giving different effects. Like if you fed one, you got a key, if you found an angry one it would distort the scream and make you cry and hide under the bed. It was a pixel art game where there were still scenes that you would click on.

I've never actually played, but I dug through the list of horror games on wikipedia for the right platforms and time period.

It could be Uninvited?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The 7th Guest? It fits about as well as Uninvited.

Maybe Hugo's House of Horrors, though I didn't actually play that I just remember the name and it being fairly popular.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm not the question-asker, but I can guarantee that it's not Uninvited or Hugo's House of Horrors, played the hell out of both of those.

I don't suppose it could be one of the Dare to Dream games, could it?

Palette swap
Mar 29, 2010

"There is a professional misconduct hearing over here with your name on it"
I've been trying to remember a couple of games.
First one was from a PC demo disc from 96-97. It was a first person mech game. In one of the missions you had a demolition expert squad mate that you sent to blow tower on top of some hills. The rest of the missions were solo and I remember the enemy/buildings info showed on the HUD and the more damage you took, the less accurate it was.
Second one from the same disc was an FPS, you select from unique alien races that started with different loadouts and begin in an ancient looking city (that last part might be wrong).
Third one is a PSX fighting game, it's cartoony and there's a guy that fights using a vacuum cleaner and that all I remember.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Palette swap posted:

First one was from a PC demo disc from 96-97. It was a first person mech game. In one of the missions you had a demolition expert squad mate that you sent to blow tower on top of some hills. The rest of the missions were solo and I remember the enemy/buildings info showed on the HUD and the more damage you took, the less accurate it was.

MechWarrior 2? Or, if it was power armour and not mechs as such, Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri?

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Donkringel posted:

The Ultimate Haunted House?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Palette swap posted:

Second one from the same disc was an FPS, you select from unique alien races that started with different loadouts and begin in an ancient looking city (that last part might be wrong).
Third one is a PSX fighting game, it's cartoony and there's a guy that fights using a vacuum cleaner and that all I remember.

Shogo and Shattered Steel fit the time frame and I think they had unique demos like Half-Life's Uplink.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Palette swap posted:

That has to be Slap Happy Rhythm Busters. That character's name is Trash

Palette swap
Mar 29, 2010

"There is a professional misconduct hearing over here with your name on it"

ToxicFrog posted:

MechWarrior 2? Or, if it was power armour and not mechs as such, Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri?
It is Terra Nova, those were indeed power armors but otherwise it's exactly as I remember it.

Hakkesshu posted:

That has to be Slap Happy Rhythm Busters. That character's name is Trash
Yes, that's the one! Thank you both guys, now to get them.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Thank you! Thats it!

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

duckfarts posted:

The only ps1 hover board games I can find are streak hover board racing and psybadek

Zaodai posted:

The "Xtreme" series of games were made by 989, so you might be thinking of 2Xtreme or 3Xtreme.

Thanks you two. It was Streak Hoverboard Racing and 3Xtreme.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

This one goes back a ways. It was an old Commodore 64 game, and in it you were a white asterisk looking spaceship. It was a top down 2d shooter, and you could move in any direction with momentum, so that you had to build up speed as you moved. In the single player mode you shot in whatever direction you were facing, while in two player the second player was the gunner and he could shoot in whatever direction he wanted while the pilot controlled movement. The objective was to wipe out four starforts which were just green line drawn boxes with some fixed guns pointing out. There were also some enemy fighters that would periodically try to ram you. When you shot all the guns, including one difficult one inside a fort that you had to go into very carefully, the level reset and it was the same thing all over again except the guns and enemy fighters were a little faster.

It was a pretty crappy game, all things considered, but it was the first game me and my brothers ever got on the C64, so we played it to death until we finally got newer and better games like Blue Max, Archon, and Mail Order Monsters. But this crappy shooter was my very first video game and it bugs me that I can't remember what it was called.

Anybody remember this one?

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Survivor

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Strategy/adventure game, probably dating to the late 1990s.

The premise was that you were the captain of a starship that had been sent out from Earth to make alliances with other races, discover useful technologies, recover ancient artifacts, etcetera to try and build up Earth's ability to fend off an impending alien invasion. It was basically a game version of David Brin's Uplift series.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Bass Concert Hall posted:

The premise was that you were the captain of a starship that had been sent out from Earth to make alliances with other races, discover useful technologies, recover ancient artifacts, etcetera to try and build up Earth's ability to fend off an impending alien invasion. It was basically a game version of David Brin's Uplift series.

Doesn't fit exactly, but Reunion?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean it's not late 90s but it sounds exactly like Star Control 2.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

That's the one, thanks!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Adventure game from the 90's, graphics and gameplay similar to Fate of Atlantis, you play as a high school or college student guy, you have a love interest and you're kind of a dork. I remember in the shareware version one of the obstacles was that you had to argue with an arrogant jock in the school or something like that.

I clearly remember the first scene in the shareware version puts you in a park talking to your girlfriend about something, I think the title of the game was something like "Attack of the somethingsomething". It's not any Leisure Suit Larry game.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Shibawanko posted:

Adventure game from the 90's, graphics and gameplay similar to Fate of Atlantis, you play as a high school or college student guy, you have a love interest and you're kind of a dork. I remember in the shareware version one of the obstacles was that you had to argue with an arrogant jock in the school or something like that.

I clearly remember the first scene in the shareware version puts you in a park talking to your girlfriend about something, I think the title of the game was something like "Attack of the somethingsomething". It's not any Leisure Suit Larry game.

Day of the Tentacle?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pneub posted:

Day of the Tentacle?

No, the concept sounds similar but that's not the one. The graphics were less cartoony and more pixelated, basically like Fate of Atlantis.

Honestly it was probably a crappy game but I remember playing it for a while and then never hearing anything about it ever again.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Not Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders is it?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Not Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders is it?

No, it was even more obscure. I imagesearched for scummvm games but nothing seems familiar, it's somewhere deep inside the rear end in a top hat of gaming history and I hate that I can't remember the name of this dumb game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

No, it was even more obscure. I imagesearched for scummvm games but nothing seems familiar, it's somewhere deep inside the rear end in a top hat of gaming history and I hate that I can't remember the name of this dumb game.

It's not in a school, but maybe Flight of the Amazon Queen?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

That's definitely Igor: Objective Uikokahonia.

If not then it has some similarities to Teenagent or Nippon Safes, Inc or The Big Red Adventure although the graphics are more cartoony than you're describing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Shibawanko posted:

It wasn't Teenagent was it?

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean it's not late 90s but it sounds exactly like Star Control 2.

Same setup, different game (I think? It's probably been 20 years).

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Lightspeed or hyperspeed? Had the aliens and ship customisation except space sims.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Palette swap posted:

It is Terra Nova, those were indeed power armors but otherwise it's exactly as I remember it.

Yes, that's the one! Thank you both guys, now to get them.

Terra Nova is on GOG and works great in dosbox. It's probably Looking Glass's most obscure game, which is a shame, because it owns, terrible 90s FMVs and all.

Apparently their original plan was to combine the System Shock and Terra Nova engines to make something that could combine expansive, far-roaming outdoor power armour and vehicle sections with claustrophobic exploration of multi-level underground complexes, but somewhere along the way they got distracted and made Thief: The Dark Project instead. I can't really say that was a bad outcome, but I've always wondered what System Nova: Shock Force Centauri would have been like.

If you're misremembering the decade it might also be Star Control 2's spiritual predecessor Starflight.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

al-azad posted:

That's definitely Igor: Objective Uikokahonia.

That's it! The name was too wonky to remember.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Could it be Alien Legacy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I was watching a video on Youtube and I saw this charming fellow:

Who is that? I think it's from an SNES fighting game, but that could be way off base. Whoever it is is buried far far down in my brain.