Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

With a new season of 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown already started with 2 episodes, a brand new Big Fat Quiz Of Everything coming on Monday, Would I Lie To You starting again soon, and a new season of QI starting without Stephen Fry as host anymore I would really like a panel show thread. Or even just a British TV thread in general :11tea:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

drunken officeparty posted:

Or even just a British TV thread in general :11tea:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3345654

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Thanks, didn't notice that thread. But just giving it a quick skimming through they don't really talk about the panel shows :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But Robot Wars is on

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

drunken officeparty posted:

Thanks, didn't notice that thread. But just giving it a quick skimming through they don't really talk about the panel shows :(

Sean giving Roisin electric shocks is a highlight too!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

The Americans is absolutely ahistorical

Yeah, I knew that it mostly was, but its treatment of the Reagan assassination attempt was really good. It made me think it was going to coopt more historical events as plot points.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

cheerfullydrab posted:

I've always been fascinated why half the posts in every Americans thread, every season, are exactly this. I'm not criticizing, it's just funny how it's something in so many poster's heads.

For someone who, in spite of her "husband"'s coming around to America and realization that "it's not so bad here" and occasional desire to get out from under the watchful eye of the :ussr:, Elizabeth remains determined to push The Cause to its full potential and to make the USSR the most powerful country in the world to give the finger to those decadent Americans with their cable TV and video games and reliable electricity and robots which deliver mail :argh:. It's understandable given it's what she knows and cares about to the point of seeming obsession and even delusion- the episode where she's disgusted that the submarine plans they stole to send to the Russians only to have the thing be a death trap because the US knew they'd take the bait is almost comical because "How DARE they do that to our brave sailors?". She's surprised the enemy allowed them to steal phony intelligence?

I'm curious as to what the writers do to pay it off. Does Elizabeth find some sort of peace in that "Well, we tried"? Does she collapse onto the floor, inconsolable and throwing poo poo around the room in absolute horror that the infallible Soviet Union collapsed like a cheap tent? Does she go out in the garage, fire up the car with the door closed, and roll the driver window down with a hose connected to the exhaust? For a character who seems like a highly navigated loose cannon, it'll be fun to see how she takes it. You kind of know Paige will be relieved, Philip will be alright with it, and Henry will be playing Super Mario Bros 3 the whole time.

That's how I see it, anyway.

e- Spoiler tagged Paige.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 13, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm curious as to what the writers do to pay it off. Does Elizabeth find some sort of peace in that "Well, we tried"? Does she collapse onto the floor, inconsolable and throwing poo poo around the room in absolute horror that the infallible Soviet Union collapsed like a cheap tent? Does she go out in the garage, fire up the car with the door closed, and roll the driver window down with a hose connected to the exhaust? For a character who seems like a highly navigated loose cannon, it'll be fun to see how she takes it. You kind of know Paige will be relieved, Philip will be alright with it, and Henry will be playing Super Mario Bros 3 the whole time.

She gets a phone call informing her that there is still more work to do, and the very last shot of the series reveals that the man on the other end of the line is Vladimir Putin. :haw:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 13, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

She gets a phone call informing her that there is still more work to do, and the very last shot of the series reveals that the man on the other end of the line is Vladimir Putin. :haw:

"Thank you... MISTER PRESIDENT."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What the gently caress is even Man Seeking Woman. I just finished the first episode and what the gently caress am I watching? Is this a dream? :psyduck:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MiddleOne posted:

What the gently caress is even Man Seeking Woman. I just finished the first episode and what the gently caress am I watching? Is this a dream? :psyduck:

BAZINGA

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

"Thank you... MISTER PRESIDENT."

"This is good, isn't it?" muses an aged one-eyed Keri Russell as she lights a cigar in front of her dying daughter.

The Americans 2: The Patriots

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Guy Mann posted:

"This is good, isn't it?" muses an aged one-eyed Keri Russell as she lights a cigar in front of her dying daughter.

The Americans 2: The Patriots

A WEAPON TO SURPASS STAR WARS

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I knew Frank Langella was in the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo! I KNEW IT!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

The best thing about Man Seeking Woman is all that stuff is actually happening. It is not a fantasy aside.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Punished Paige

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Man Seeking Woman is great (especially the 2 Woman Seeking Man episodes they did), but it really depends on your tolerance of Jay Baruchel. Thankfully he mostly gets poo poo on by everyone around him so it's a pretty good watch.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Duke posted:

Man Seeking Woman is great (especially the 2 Woman Seeking Man episodes they did), but it really depends on your tolerance of Jay Baruchel. Thankfully he mostly gets poo poo on by everyone around him so it's a pretty good watch.

I wouldn't even be watching the show if I didn't enjoy him so much in This Is The End.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MiddleOne posted:

Tried a couple episodes and didn't like it. Baruchel wasn't funny in Goon, either.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

The best thing about Man Seeking Woman is all that stuff is actually happening. It is not a fantasy aside.

His right hand just broke up with him. :psyboom:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man I just saw The Little Prince on Netflix and it's all sorts of wonderful. It's a shame Paramount canned its US release a year ago, but on the other hand I would've been bawling in the theater.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So The Americans is Meet The Applegates with Russians instead of giant insects?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So I just started The Americans based on this thread and I want to like it so much, but for two supposed elite ubertrained agents , goddamn does it get annoying when they do stupid poo poo for silly emotional reasons. Most recent example (S1E7): at the very end of the episode, Elizabeth asks Philip if something happened between him and Irina, and he lies about it, despite the truth *really not being so bad* (yeah they had sex, but he refused to leave with her)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like how every time they turn on the TV that Ronald Reagan is giving a speech.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ronald Reagan was basically a TV show.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I like how every time they turn on the TV that Ronald Reagan is giving a speech.
Accurate. This was also my favorite part of the second season of Fargo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Payndz posted:

So The Americans is Meet The Applegates with Russians instead of giant insects?

I generally compare it to Coneheads, personally.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dancer posted:

So I just started The Americans based on this thread and I want to like it so much, but for two supposed elite ubertrained agents , goddamn does it get annoying when they do stupid poo poo for silly emotional reasons. Most recent example (S1E7): at the very end of the episode, Elizabeth asks Philip if something happened between him and Irina, and he lies about it, despite the truth *really not being so bad* (yeah they had sex, but he refused to leave with her)

The whole "we're super spys but we have to pretend to be a loving family while banging everyone useful to the cause to sway them and whoops looks like some real emotions slipped in" is a recurring thing that constantly adds drama and tension to the character's lives. The intersection of "family" and "work" for the Jennings is almost as essential to the show as the spy drama because they passed the point of super elite training after having their second kid together and living the life for over a decade.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm only slightly farther along than that, but it's my assessment that Phillip is general weak and emotionally vulnerable. He is constantly protective of Elizabeth and Paige in an over the top masculine protector type of way, even when it's not necisarry or appropriate.

He may be a professional liar, but he's a huge noob at relationships. Neither of them has ever really had a stable meaningful relationship. They have both had a lot practice lying to people in pretend relationships.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

im now the proud owner of a copy of the MIRACLES box set

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snak posted:

I'm only slightly farther along than that, but it's my assessment that Phillip is general weak and emotionally vulnerable. He is constantly protective of Elizabeth and Paige in an over the top masculine protector type of way, even when it's not necisarry or appropriate.

He may be a professional liar, but he's a huge noob at relationships. Neither of them has ever really had a stable meaningful relationship. They have both had a lot practice lying to people in pretend relationships.
Yes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

includes SEVEN EPISODES NEVER AIRED IN AMERICA!!!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

in the pilot FATHER SKEET ULRICH gets a magic healer kid killed because he is a dumbass and drives in front of a train for literally no reason

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

in the pilot FATHER SKEET ULRICH gets a magic healer kid killed because he is a dumbass and drives in front of a train for literally no reason

What is it with Skeet Ulrich killed people by being a bad driver in pilots?

He kills 2 people in the first episode of Jericho because he isn't watching the road.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Later Skeet says, like, WHY WOULD GOD MAKE THIS HAPPEN but dude it's your own fault for being a lovely driver

Dancer
May 23, 2011

pentyne posted:

The whole "we're super spys but we have to pretend to be a loving family while banging everyone useful to the cause to sway them and whoops looks like some real emotions slipped in" is a recurring thing that constantly adds drama and tension to the character's lives. The intersection of "family" and "work" for the Jennings is almost as essential to the show as the spy drama because they passed the point of super elite training after having their second kid together and living the life for over a decade.

No no, I get that, and I'm super on board with it. I get that the family stuff with interpersonal drama is a major part of this show and it would be a different show without it. I'm just annoyed that it feels (to me at least) *so dumb* sometimes. That lie I mentioned being a prime example (which would you look at that, caused major drama in the next episode).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

corn in the bible posted:

Later Skeet says, like, WHY WOULD GOD MAKE THIS HAPPEN but dude it's your own fault for being a lovely driver

Basically my republican family and Trump.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dancer posted:

No no, I get that, and I'm super on board with it. I get that the family stuff with interpersonal drama is a major part of this show and it would be a different show without it. I'm just annoyed that it feels (to me at least) *so dumb* sometimes. That lie I mentioned being a prime example (which would you look at that, caused major drama in the next episode).

Yeah but, from his perspective, why wouldn't he lie about it? He has no reason to expect that he will be caught, because he does't know that Mags Bennett is playing them against each other for shits and giggles. And unlike all the times that they sleep with people as part of their job, he slept with another agent he was working with, not an asset. So he did it for him, not the mission. Unlike all the work they do, he was actually cheating if their relationship is supposed to be real.

edit: I think Phillip is stupid. Don't know if there's teams in this show, but I'm on team Elizabeth, because she's way more awesome than Phillip, but not without her own flaws.

I like both characters, though.

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 14, 2016

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Philip's wig game is much better though. I do agree with all points that Elizabeth's breakdown when the Soviet Union comes apart should be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, I'm announcing the results of the TV IV Awards in the TV IV IRC Channel. If you wanna join in, just click here: http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%2523satviv&server=irc.synirc.net

• Locked thread