Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gromit posted:

I submitted a bunch of exploration data at Bava as a part of the community goal (the first one I've ever tried) and then went off for a long trip out to nowhere. I've just now got back to the station where I got the CG - how do I know what I got for that data? Is there anything I need to do to finalise the process?

After the CG ends it will remain in your Transactions tab with completion details until the reward is collected. However, the reward will automatically be collected and delivered to you after two weeks, so now you don't need to do anything but it's too late to see what you earned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Ugh, these assassination / theft missions are annoying as hell. I've rarely managed to find my mission target. I'm scanning the nav beacon when I get to the system, and going to the area where the mission update tells me to go. I'll spend the entire ~30 minute window of opportunity scanning 20-30 ships, but the guy NEVER shows up!

I've also tried flying to within 15 Ls of the planet to see if that spawns the target (similar to flying close to the planet to spawn a USS for salvage missions). Again, no dice. This doubly sucks because I'm trying to get in good with the Eurybia Blue Mafia to unlock an engineer and all they have are assassination and theft missions.

How do I find my targets? All the advice I'm finding is way outdated. :(

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dolemite posted:

Ugh, these assassination / theft missions are annoying as hell. I've rarely managed to find my mission target. I'm scanning the nav beacon when I get to the system, and going to the area where the mission update tells me to go. I'll spend the entire ~30 minute window of opportunity scanning 20-30 ships, but the guy NEVER shows up!

I've also tried flying to within 15 Ls of the planet to see if that spawns the target (similar to flying close to the planet to spawn a USS for salvage missions). Again, no dice. This doubly sucks because I'm trying to get in good with the Eurybia Blue Mafia to unlock an engineer and all they have are assassination and theft missions.

How do I find my targets? All the advice I'm finding is way outdated. :(

Best advice: don't do assassination / theft missions.

I'm not even being flippant here — they remain broken as gently caress. Even when they feel like working, they're horrible. Recycle the board to get something else, even if it takes 20 tries.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Does anyone know off hand what barnacles aren't shattered or guarded by a star destroyer? I tried looking around but could only really find listings of all of them and the 2 that I know off hand are already broke to poo poo when you get there.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why are the rewards for the Federation side higher than the rewards for the Empire side?

Oh yeah, :frontear: predetermines the winner in player driven events.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Does anyone know off hand what barnacles aren't shattered or guarded by a star destroyer? I tried looking around but could only really find listings of all of them and the 2 that I know off hand are already broke to poo poo when you get there.

I did two collect special cargo missions from NPCs I had to hunt down and get their cargo. I scan the nav beacon, actually find them, and each in turn I pop their cargo hatch and neither actually had the cargo I was supposed to collect. loving abandoned both missions.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

I did two collect special cargo missions from NPCs I had to hunt down and get their cargo. I scan the nav beacon, actually find them, and each in turn I pop their cargo hatch and neither actually had the cargo I was supposed to collect. loving abandoned both missions.

Neither hatch breakers nor cargo hatch damage will cause a ship to jettison its entire cargo at once. It probably had the cargo but you just didnt make it drop it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Main Paineframe posted:

After the CG ends it will remain in your Transactions tab with completion details until the reward is collected. However, the reward will automatically be collected and delivered to you after two weeks, so now you don't need to do anything but it's too late to see what you earned.

Ahh, this must be what happened. I don't really keep track of how much money I have, but it looks like maybe I got handed 8 million or something (so top 25% looking at the rewards list online).
Thanks for that info.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Main Paineframe posted:

Neither hatch breakers nor cargo hatch damage will cause a ship to jettison its entire cargo at once. It probably had the cargo but you just didnt make it drop it.

Well literally how the hell then.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You use *multiple* hatchbreakers. Don't shoot the hatch. It'll seem like it's working a bit, cause at certain breakpoints it makes them dump a bit of cargo, but once it breaks it'll never open again. Use hatchbreaker limpets.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
How do I get access to our/your lovely discord server?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

Well literally how the hell then.

Do the thing multiple times, over and over. An A-rank hatchbreaker module will cause the target to drop 5-10 items of cargo per limpet, so if the target has more than 5 tons of cargo and the thing you want doesn't come out with the first limpet, you just have to use another one. And another. And another. Bring plenty of limpets, as it's not unusual for trader ships to carry a hundred-plus tons of useless worthless crap in addition to whatever you want from them.

It's the same with shooting the cargo hatch. Each hatch malfunction causes the target to drop a few units of cargo, so once you have them below the malfunction threshold, you just have to lightly poke their cargo hatch over and over and over again with your weakest weapon, trying to trigger more malfunctions, until you get what you want or their hatch is destroyed. Since you can't get anything more from a target once their cargo hatch is totally destroyed, hatch-shooting is more limited than using limpets, so hatchbreaker systems are the preferred piracy technique if you want something specific.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

T-t-t-thargoids?!

And those two news items are official, by the way. There's no commander name attached, which means it's pure Frontier, baby.

No, not Thargoids, unless FDev is playing games with their streamers.

DJTruthsayer visited the FDev offices back in late June or early July (I believe it was DJTruthsayer, I could be misremembering) and part of the info that was given to them that was not covered by NDA and allowed to be released was that Thargoids would not be making a comeback to this iteration of the Elite universe. Aliens, yes, but not the Thargoids specifically.

Of course, with all things ED and Fdev, take it with a grain of salt.

EvilElmo posted:

How do I get access to our/your lovely discord server?

PGS Thread OP has instructions.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Why couldn't they make the hatch breaker limpets let you choose what to eject from the cargo scanner menu. Or just make the ships drop the mission cargo when damaged/disabled.

LCL-Dead posted:

DJTruthsayer visited the FDev offices back in late June or early July (I believe it was DJTruthsayer, I could be misremembering) and part of the info that was given to them that was not covered by NDA and allowed to be released was that Thargoids would not be making a comeback to this iteration of the Elite universe. Aliens, yes, but not the Thargoids specifically.

If they wanted to say "No Thargoids", Braben would probably come out and said it himself.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Either they're playing games with their streamers, or they're playing games with the rest of the playerbase by posting lore contradicting the info they gave those streamers.

To be honest, it could be the streamers just misinterpreted the info they were given. Wouldn't be the first time something like this happened. :shrug:

Edit:

It just dawned on me Elite needed the foundation of ships being able to launch fighters to make Thargoid drone-ships possible. Maybe the info meant "not in 2.1"?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Rectus posted:

If they wanted to say "No Thargoids", Braben would probably come out and said it himself.
I haven't seen anything about this at all. In DJTruthsayer's interview with Michael Brookes, Brookes seems to imply that Thargoids will be in game at some point.

quote:

Can Thargoids pull ships out of Frameshift?
MB: Well you'll have to find out.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Look it up yourself, or give me time when I get off of work to go back and find it.

Word was from Braben himself, not another employee, and what better way to get it out than through an ED streamer with a good following?

The Galnet reports and crash sites around the game are hinting at "something" attacking, but none of the clues point to ships being ripped out of witchspace and attacked. It points to them being attacked in-system by an overpowering force.

Braben said that aliens were coming. Drone use wouldn't be limited strictly to Thargoids.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That'd be helpful, because I can't find anyone explicitly saying "no Thargoids". I can't even find a reference to anyone saying that.

First I've ever heard of it tbh.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

That'd be helpful, because I can't find anyone explicitly saying "no Thargoids". I can't even find a reference to anyone saying that.

First I've ever heard of it tbh.

I'll look into digging it up tonight. It's one of the streams leading up to his move, where he was seeking donations to help fund the relocation.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
How's the planetary exploration in Horizons, is it a Fun Thing or necessary boredom on your path to obtaining ship upgrades?

Also an even dumber question - does a yoke work in any way for this game? I've got a flight stick but also a yoke and :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Ledenko posted:

How's the planetary exploration in Horizons, is it a Fun Thing or necessary boredom on your path to obtaining ship upgrades?

Yes.

Just travelling around on the surface of strange planets has its own appeal, if you're into that kind of thing. It can get a bit same:y in terms of what you encounter, so it's more a matter of experiencing the variety of planets — from getting silly amounts of air on low-gravit planets, to trying not to tip over and explode on high-g ones, to getting to the top of that mountain just because it's there.

For the ship upgrades, it's mostly fine since you get more for each pickup these days, but once you get to the top tiers, the elements needed will become increasingly annoying to get hold of in any kind of volume. Then again, at that point, the salvaged materials will become annoying to get hold of too, so it's not really unique to the planetary exploration stuff.

quote:

Also an even dumber question - does a yoke work in any way for this game? I've got a flight stick but also a yoke and :v:

If it offers regular axes that you can detect and assign in most games, then it should work in E:D too — it's not limited to just accepting input from a single device (or it wouldn't be able to use more complicated HOTAS setups). If it's just a regular HID-compliant game controller, it should be fine.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Thanks! I tried NMS and it didn't itch that planet exploration itch, maybe ED can do it a bit better.

Tippis posted:

If it offers regular axes that you can detect and assign in most games, then it should work in E:D too — it's not limited to just accepting input from a single device (or it wouldn't be able to use more complicated HOTAS setups). If it's just a regular HID-compliant game controller, it should be fine.

I know there aren't any technical limitations, I'm curious how it works for the actual flying. If I wasn't lazy I'd try it myself, but it's a pretty big obstacle. I'm gonna go ahead with "it works but not the best idea" based on how many hits the question gets on google.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ledenko posted:

Thanks! I tried NMS and it didn't itch that planet exploration itch, maybe ED can do it a bit better.
Honestly, if NMS isn't scratching the itch Elite probably won't at the moment either.

Elite's explorable planets are strictly barren airless rocks right now. We don't even have an eta on other stuff. I'd guess they'll put in atmospheres and liquids next, but even that probably won't be until next year. Actual life is anyone's guess

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Oh man that is a super helpful thing to know. I took off after the last CG and forgot I had to go collect my 2 million space bucks. I'm over 10,000ly away now and I figured I'd have to make the trek back before then current CG ends because that seemed fair in my my by how the rules of this game could work. I'm pleased to hear they will just fax me my money.

- changing topics -
Marco Qwent, nobody likes you. All I want is some level 5 thruster mods. Did I mind picking up 3x Soontill Relics to please Elvira Martuuk and engineer up to rank 3 to get your name? Not at all. Did I enjoy doing 500 goddamn missions for Sirius Corp, where one of out every five salvage missions you sent me on the mission objective never spawned after 20 minutes of circling the planet at various altitudes from 1Mm to 4ls, only to get the permit which then required me to do a delivery which revealed your location and that I didn't have 25 Modular Terminals because I didn't think that far ahead so I spent a whole day going station to station looking for them in mission rewards, then flew back to your stupid base that is aggravatingly far from the jump point and turned them in and ranked you up to 3.35 and left.

You'll never see me again Marco Qwent. All your upgrades are garbage. You took me nearly 20 hours of playtime to unlock. The only reason anyone ever comes to see you is to use you to get to Professor Palin and you should feel bad about yourself.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
To the guy doing the exploration in style, that Cutter is style. It's a sweet looking ship. Also, I sometimes forget the scale of the elite ships, but a Cutter is as bigger as a small - medium cruise ship.

I like flying around in my shiny new Python. I don't think In would explore with it, but I like the idea of it. A stripped down one can make 25 ly, I wonder how much a level 3 or so upgrade would improve that. I'm not sure I want to grind to 5.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MoraleHazard posted:

To the guy doing the exploration in style, that Cutter is style. It's a sweet looking ship. Also, I sometimes forget the scale of the elite ships, but a Cutter is as bigger as a small - medium cruise ship.

I like flying around in my shiny new Python. I don't think In would explore with it, but I like the idea of it. A stripped down one can make 25 ly, I wonder how much a level 3 or so upgrade would improve that. I'm not sure I want to grind to 5.

Go for 5 — getting through both grades 3 and 4 on FSD mods requires fairly simple materials. I'd suggest Faster Boot Sequence to get past grade 3 and FSD range to get through grade 4 — the only rare:ish material you'd need is 3× Selenium, which is easy enough to find.

e: Unless you mean you want to avoid the grind for the grade-5 upgrade itself, in which case… yeah. Those Chemical Manipulators can be annoyingly elusive at times.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 15, 2016

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Merope 5c is still around.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Merope 5c is still around.

Those things are also all over the entire nebula. I think there are at least two other systems close by with well-known barnacle sites.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

tooterfish posted:

Honestly, if NMS isn't scratching the itch Elite probably won't at the moment either.

Elite's explorable planets are strictly barren airless rocks right now. We don't even have an eta on other stuff. I'd guess they'll put in atmospheres and liquids next, but even that probably won't be until next year. Actual life is anyone's guess

Yeah I'd urge you to look what what "exploration" in ED actually is - it's umm...realistic?

I played both and NMS is what actually dragged me back into ED, but certainly not for the exploration aspect.

Exploration is something to do in ED when you need a break for hauling runs, it can be interesting but you have to have a fairly exotic set of interests to call it fun.

In short, if you've never played ED, you should, it's a better game now than it was at release, but exploration is probably and PvP are probably the greatest weaknesses of the game right now.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Tippis posted:

Go for 5 — getting through both grades 3 and 4 on FSD mods requires fairly simple materials. I'd suggest Faster Boot Sequence to get past grade 3 and FSD range to get through grade 4 — the only rare:ish material you'd need is 3× Selenium, which is easy enough to find.

e: Unless you mean you want to avoid the grind for the grade-5 upgrade itself, in which case… yeah. Those Chemical Manipulators can be annoyingly elusive at times.

Holy poo poo don't listen to this guy!

:siren: :siren: :siren: YOU CAN GET TO MAX RANK BY JUST SPAMMING THE RANK 1 UPGRADES! DON'T BOTHER CRAFTING UPGRADE RANKS 2-4 TO RANK UP! :siren: :siren: :siren:

Edit: The reason for this is that the Rank 1 upgrades all cost 1 of any number of very common, super easy to get materials (Carbon, Iron, Phosphorus, Sulphur). Sure, Going from Rank 4 -> Rank 5 will take something like 100+ crafts and that might seem like a lot, but you get 3x carbon/iron/whatever for each single one you pick up so it's not that bad.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 15, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

Look it up yourself, or give me time when I get off of work to go back and find it.

Word was from Braben himself, not another employee, and what better way to get it out than through an ED streamer with a good following?

The Galnet reports and crash sites around the game are hinting at "something" attacking, but none of the clues point to ships being ripped out of witchspace and attacked. It points to them being attacked in-system by an overpowering force.

Braben said that aliens were coming. Drone use wouldn't be limited strictly to Thargoids.

The DBE crash site I was tipped off to at Athena claimed they'd hit an anomaly that overloaded their FSD with no idea where they were. I took a look at the ship and it had scorch marks down both wings as if it had been lasered, plus the central engine was giving off a ton of smoke. Mostly intact, though, a bit of debris in the trail it carved behind it and obviously I couldn't see what it looked like underneath.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

Yeah I'd urge you to look what what "exploration" in ED actually is - it's umm...realistic?

I played both and NMS is what actually dragged me back into ED, but certainly not for the exploration aspect.

Exploration is something to do in ED when you need a break for hauling runs, it can be interesting but you have to have a fairly exotic set of interests to call it fun.

In short, if you've never played ED, you should, it's a better game now than it was at release, but exploration is probably and PvP are probably the greatest weaknesses of the game right now.

Oh no, I've played ED before, last time was around when Horizons was released, but I didn't have the money to buy it back then. I'm not gonna say ED can hold my interest for a long time, but the aspect of realistic-ish exploration intrigues me, plus I like how ED does spaceship flight. Plus I enjoy KSP and civilian flight sims so my interests might possibly fall into what ED has to offer.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

CapnBry posted:

- changing topics -
Marco Qwent, nobody likes you. All I want is some level 5 thruster mods. Did I mind picking up 3x Soontill Relics to please Elvira Martuuk and engineer up to rank 3 to get your name? Not at all. Did I enjoy doing 500 goddamn missions for Sirius Corp, where one of out every five salvage missions you sent me on the mission objective never spawned after 20 minutes of circling the planet at various altitudes from 1Mm to 4ls, only to get the permit which then required me to do a delivery which revealed your location and that I didn't have 25 Modular Terminals because I didn't think that far ahead so I spent a whole day going station to station looking for them in mission rewards, then flew back to your stupid base that is aggravatingly far from the jump point and turned them in and ranked you up to 3.35 and left.
The worstbest part is the 25 Modular Terminals specifically: missions give you 4 commodities so by being 25 instead of 24 you need to do one mission more after the previous rigamarole because :frontear: hatesloves us. :allears:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

The DBE crash site I was tipped off to at Athena claimed they'd hit an anomaly that overloaded their FSD with no idea where they were. I took a look at the ship and it had scorch marks down both wings as if it had been lasered, plus the central engine was giving off a ton of smoke. Mostly intact, though, a bit of debris in the trail it carved behind it and obviously I couldn't see what it looked like underneath.

This is FDev.

Of all the mistakes they have made when setting up plot elements, do you really think they pulled that one off without a hitch and didn't just have some artist build up a crashed model of a DBE and scrape it onto the surface of a planet with no care as to the hows or whys of the damage markings?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

radintorov posted:

The worstbest part is the 25 Modular Terminals specifically: missions give you 4 commodities so by being 25 instead of 24 you need to do one mission more after the previous rigamarole because :frontear: hatesloves us. :allears:
haha Yes, also that they go for like 140 credits each if you sell them at the market.

Incoming mission critical update: "Hi, we gave you 2 days to do that mission and you're back at the station in under an hour but we're getting pretty impatient and will throw in an extra 75,000 credits if you can land and manage to get the mission screen to load in under 30 seconds". How about you just give me 750 credits worth of Modular Terminals instead and I will smash this Asp directly into your office window with the trade data in under 20 seconds? You can even keep the 400k base reward and just give me 4k worth of commodities! for I know you have tons of them I see them stacked behind your desk!

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
the thing about the commodities is that they are more likely to spawn/be rewarded if you know where to look. Modular Terminals are most commonly found in high tech economy systems undergoing a boom. Pharmaceutical Isolators are found in systems with the Outbreak state, etc etc.

It took me all of 30 minutes to get the 25 terminals I needed, because I knew where to go and what to look for.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

radintorov posted:

It took me a couple days to get the 25, and by that I mean I got 12 from three missions all at once at the start, then 16 from four all at once at the end. :cripes:

Never found any at a surface POI.

You can also get the Sirius permit by giving them 1-2M in exploration data, then doing a couple of courier missions to spawn the permit mission. If that's your thing. :shrug:

OH! I did find a bunch of chemical manipulators (grade 5 fsd) and conductive ceramics (grade 5 lightweight multi-cannon and grade 5 clean thrusters) from interdicting type-6/7/9s and blowing them up in an anarchy system if anyone needs those. :pirate:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
For mission types that basically require you to find a USS, is there really no way to find out where you're supposed to go besides aimlessly flying around the entire solar system? Can't count the number of missions I've abandoned because the systems are too big and I can't find anything.

I really don't understand why the mission text isn't more specific, like: "Search for [whatever] near [planet name] and [planet name] in [system]."

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Holy poo poo don't listen to this guy!

:siren: :siren: :siren: YOU CAN GET TO MAX RANK BY JUST SPAMMING THE RANK 1 UPGRADES! DON'T BOTHER CRAFTING UPGRADE RANKS 2-4 TO RANK UP! :siren: :siren: :siren:

Edit: The reason for this is that the Rank 1 upgrades all cost 1 of any number of very common, super easy to get materials (Carbon, Iron, Phosphorus, Sulphur). Sure, Going from Rank 4 -> Rank 5 will take something like 100+ crafts and that might seem like a lot, but you get 3x carbon/iron/whatever for each single one you pick up so it's not that bad.

Spamming a rank 1 upgrade takes way longer than working up through ranks 2-4. This was true even before the rebalance patch and should be even more true now that the rank 2-5 recipes are so much easier to feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Polo-Rican posted:

For mission types that basically require you to find a USS, is there really no way to find out where you're supposed to go besides aimlessly flying around the entire solar system? Can't count the number of missions I've abandoned because the systems are too big and I can't find anything.

Have you tried scanning the nav beacon in the system, or using a discovery scanner? Those usually tell you where you need to go after you use them. At least for the salvage missions.

• Locked thread