Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Nope. It's a harmless word, but the manosphere has weaponized it to the point where I second guess myself when I use it.

The big difference is whether you use it as an adjective or a noun. If you see someone referring to "females" or calling an individual "a female" then they're pretty much always some kind of MRA/MGTOW/PUA/etc. Used as an adjective it's generally just to include both adults and children, like if you say "female players generally choose female avatars in games that allow the option" then that's probably not indicative of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

The big difference is whether you use it as an adjective or a noun. If you see someone referring to "females" or calling an individual "a female" then they're pretty much always some kind of MRA/MGTOW/PUA/etc. Used as an adjective it's generally just to include both adults and children, like if you say "female players generally choose female avatars in games that allow the option" then that's probably not indicative of anything.

To expand on this, using it as a noun is also okay if you're discussing sexual dimorphism but that only really applies to biology or anthropology.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Intoluene posted:

To expand on this, using it as a noun is also okay if you're discussing sexual dimorphism but that only really applies to biology or anthropology.

It's basically used to give a faux-anthropologic shine to their misogyny.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

It's basically used to give a faux-anthropologic shine to their misogyny.

Pretty much, yeah. Trying to sound smarter but really, it's just a dogwhistle.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Better watch out when you go into any FEEEEEMALE neighborhoods !!!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Pot Of Shoe posted:

Currently on the front page of imgur.com which is the premier spot for people who "used to love black people, but"

http://imgur.com/gallery/Fx6As

quote:

TonyTheGeek5 pts7h
Here's how it works: with white people, you have the normal ppl and the rednecks. With black people, you have the normal ppl and the thugs.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Fun idea: take the racist imgur frontpage poo poo, replace all mentions of minorities with "females" and post them and see how many of them still agree

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

It's kinda odd for me because when I was in high school, I was taught the other way around. My social studies teacher would insist that female was the proper neutral term because the word women had the same connotations among misogynists that female does now. poo poo like "women, amirite? :rolleyes:"

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

In my professional work environment female is used almost exclusively to avoid the condescension of ladies or women.

loving neckbeards.

E. sweet new thread title too

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Racism is over, we have a black president!
Except, he doesn't think we should have a black president?
Or he's saying we shouldn't?
I don't even loving know.
Edit: He's still goin

Metrofreak has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Aug 14, 2016

Admiral_Cola
Jan 11, 2012

Idiots on Social Media: Problem solving habits bleed into the rest of my life.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Remember when Pokémon was simple and not pandering to tumblr?

(gently caress you 9gag I should know better than browse your poo poo).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BigglesSWE posted:

The thing I don't get is, even if you think that's all bullshit, why do you even care? If you think someone saying they're transgender is equivalent to saying they're Martian, who gives a poo poo?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

Two spirit? That's a different anime.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'm the mate to female

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The font on that Pokemon thing is so lovely I read BUTCH as BLITCH

Byzantine posted:

Two spirit? That's a different anime.

:colbert:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

This is loving sickening. There are very few things in this world more unrepentantly callous and small-minded than not giving a poo poo about consistent pixel ratios.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

How is FTM different from female to male? Is it not just an abbreviation for the phrase?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

How is FTM different from female to male? Is it not just an abbreviation for the phrase?

The image creator doesn't know anything about gender identity? Color me surprised.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Guys this transgendered person wants to be called by his transitioned pronoun! I bet he wants us to start calling people Otherkin and Xe and poo poo too! World is falling apart Aaaah!

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Biplane posted:

I'm the mate to female
matezoned again

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hardcordion posted:

The image creator doesn't know anything about gender identity? Color me surprised.

I honestly can't figure out if it's a mocking image or a serious one. Because I can see people arguing for games to include every stated gender identity anyone could possibly dream up, but little touches make it seem kinda not that perspective.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

I honestly can't figure out if it's a mocking image or a serious one. Because I can see people arguing for games to include every stated gender identity anyone could possibly dream up, but little touches make it seem kinda not that perspective.
it's a mocking image.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Anyone who seriously wants that (and I personally wouldn't mind it) would probably go for a write-in option along with a choice between a few different sets of pronouns instead of trying to include a static list of every conceivable option.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

If it was serious it would probably just have "boy," "girl" and "other."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Apparently "Anarcho-Primitivists for Jill Stein" is a real page.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
pro tip for the record: most actual trans people don't identify as "a transgender"
mostly, trans people identify as male, female, or other
"trans" is not, itself, a gender
if you see it being used that way, the image was made to make fun of trans people, not by them.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Guest2553 posted:

In my professional work environment female is used almost exclusively to avoid the condescension of ladies or women.

loving neckbeards.

E. sweet new thread title too

I've gotten chewed out a few times here for using "female" in an appropriate context because goons can't understand the nuance of things. I'm a woman and a feminist. I know when female is an appropriate term vs. when misogynists use it to sound faux scientific about biotruths.

But yeah, fuckin neckbeards. They ruin everything.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

InediblePenguin posted:

pro tip for the record: most actual trans people don't identify as "a transgender"
mostly, trans people identify as male, female, or other
"trans" is not, itself, a gender
if you see it being used that way, the image was made to make fun of trans people, not by them.

Anecdotal, but in the real world every transgender person I've met has simply identified as male or female and until they told me I never would have known. Online I've been yelled at for not specifically calling someone a "transman" before. :shrug:

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Metrofreak posted:

Racism is over, we have a black president!
Except, he doesn't think we should have a black president?
Or he's saying we shouldn't?
I don't even loving know.
Edit: He's still goin

Incoherent statements and made up percentages to seem like statistics with no backings to make your racist statements sound reasonable. Where have I seen stuff like this before? Hmm

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Nuebot posted:

Anecdotal, but in the real world every transgender person I've met has simply identified as male or female and until they told me I never would have known. Online I've been yelled at for not specifically calling someone a "transman" before. :shrug:

Yeah it's crazy online. I have a lot of friends who are trans or non-binary and they're just completely normal people. Nobody throws a fit when they're misgendered, they'll politely correct the person if it's appropriate/if they care enough to do so. And I've never met anyone in the real world who demands to be referred to as... well, anything on this list. It's always either "they", "he" or "she".

If I had to guess though I'd say that the people who freak out or get really mad online are mostly kids who are still finding themselves. It sucks when your identity (gender or otherwise) is questioned. If you're mature you'll deal with it in a more appropriate way, if you're not you're probably gonna freak out and yell at people a lot. They'll grow out of it.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

BigglesSWE posted:

He lost his shins in Pokenam.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Someone in my storm chasers group is the complete opposite of everyone, every active severe storm thread she prays to Lord Jesus to stop the storm, whereas the rest of us are hoping it gets worse because that's where the fun is. I clicked on her profile, and she had posted some horrid photos of her dying roommate which I decided to edit because I was shocked. Majorly swollen and discoloured belly.

And then for something more lighthearted, it's Facebook who's the idiot this time.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/davidhadley1973/status/764908030345478148

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Picnic Princess posted:

Someone in my storm chasers group is the complete opposite of everyone, every active severe storm thread she prays to Lord Jesus to stop the storm, whereas the rest of us are hoping it gets worse because that's where the fun is. I clicked on her profile, and she had posted some horrid photos of her dying roommate which I decided to edit because I was shocked. Majorly swollen and discoloured belly.

And then for something more lighthearted, it's Facebook who's the idiot this time.

Wow, who would have thought a sausage could be so popular?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Despite the obvious that the EU doesn't compete collectively, aren't they still dealing with the aftermath of Brexit's "Oh god, I didn't actually want this to happen." voter base?

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

Fathis Munk posted:

This guy seems to get it, I linked him the forum post above :unsmith:

"Some people just want to be safe. Wanting to be safe is racist."
"Rape culture..."
"NOT ALL MEN!"

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Oh hey, I saw that House episode.

House pretended to discover parthenogenesis in a woman for a laugh because she cheated on her husband and they wanted a paternity test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

There's just so much I want to ask this person.