Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I'd just like to say that the Mekanism v9 turbine generator is awesome. BR turbines have a very hard limit of 28k rf/t (by default config) using the maximum of 80 blades/32 ludicrite blocks for coils. AdvGen gas turbines also have a maximum of 25k rf/t. Which means between that and going for the Mekanism fusion reactor/Draconic Evolution nonsense, your only recourse is just making more of them.

Mekanism turbines, however, output power based on how much steam you put into them with an efficiency that is determined by the number of blades/coils, but with a cap that's basically impossible to reach. I've currently got the kind of BR actively cooled reactor I use for BR turbines, a 7x7x3 external dimension reactor with 8 fuel rods, efficiently outputting about 2.1 b/t. This, feeding into a mid-sized Mekanism turbine (8 blades, something like 5x5x10) is outputting 25k rf/t, without the need for ludicrite blocks or anything. All I'd need to do to up my power is add layers to my reactor to increase its output, because as it is it's maximum output is 1.64 MRF/t.

Unfortunately making sufficient steam for it outside of a BR reactor/actively cooled Mekanism fusion reactor is a bit of a pain in the rear end. Huuuuge thermoelectric steam boiler with fuelwood heat generators piped onto it burning coal. :effort:

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Wait whaaaat. So I guess setting up a Mekanism turbine for a fusion reactor wouldn't be as hard as I thought it would. How big of a turbine would you need to handle 4000B/t though... I currently have a reactor with injection rate 90, putting out 9M rf/t and I forget the exact B/t of steam it would output if I used water cooling but it was in the thousands.

Since Mana fabricators use a million RF/t you actually have a use for power levels that high.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure if this is the absolute maximum in efficiency/flow rate but this tutorial video shows his turbine having a maximum flow rate of 1296 B/T, but with an actual flow rate of 32 B/T producing 1.27 MRF/t, off of an actively cooled (but not tricked out) fusion reactor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u5AeiYYPlE

Oh yeah, Mekanism turbine doesn't need to spool up to the right speed like a BR turbine. I've now got an EnderIO Power Monitor turning my reactor on when my batteries need to be filled, since the reactor can just heat up, fill the turbine's tanks with some steam, then turn back off.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 15, 2016

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, I'm not looking for a hidden doorway, I'm looking for something that will look imposing and large, like an ancient doorway, that can retract slowly, like you'd see in an Indiana Jones movie or something. I can't remember why we got rid of Tmechworks(which is what had the drawbridge I mentioned earlier, not Immersive Integration). Maybe I should look at that again...

Or just suck it up and use Malisis Door, I dunno.

We removed it because so few people used them, and I hosed it up in my sand castle in my dim, which caused me to CtD every time I went near that one block. Though, that was coupled with the wireless redstone thingy. The drawbridges themselves worked fine.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I watch Ethos modded Minecraft lets play and in episode 7 he was using a mod called Pistronics to make drawbridges and doors.
Never used it but another option for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMhMcvBVAxw

https://mods.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/237211-pistronics-2

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am just skimming things on my phone, but it looks like the big packs are up and kicking in 1.10. Is it time to start putting everything together?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, you should start on 1.10 BFSR.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

Yes, you should start on 1.10 BFSR.

I just pulled down some random modpack that has something like 99 things in it. The drat thing was a slide show until I took my chunk distance down to 3 chunks. God drat. I'll just start scuttling poo poo out of it and see if I find something that was culpable. That wasn't reassuring though.

Update: Who knows what it was, but I flattened out some of the stuff I didn't recognize, and it perked right back up. However, CoFH hasn't updated to 1.10.2 at all; I was foiled in a Google search for "CoFH 1.10.2" since I guess there was a CoFH version 1.10.2, not a CoFH version for Minecraft 1.10.2. I used that to override all the oregen, which was a big boon in BFSR.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 15, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I have no idea what the big differences are between the various versions (like what's different between 1.7 and 1.8?) but I do know that I most likely won't play any version that doesn't have Thaumcraft and Botania because at this point it is just so inescapably part of my Minecraft experience.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just pulled down some random modpack that has something like 99 things in it. The drat thing was a slide show until I took my chunk distance down to 3 chunks. God drat. I'll just start scuttling poo poo out of it and see if I find something that was culpable. That wasn't reassuring though.

Update: Who knows what it was, but I flattened out some of the stuff I didn't recognize, and it perked right back up. However, CoFH hasn't updated to 1.10.2 at all; I was foiled in a Google search for "CoFH 1.10.2" since I guess there was a CoFH version 1.10.2, not a CoFH version for Minecraft 1.10.2. I used that to override all the oregen, which was a big boon in BFSR.

Rocko, if you are working on a new BFSR, you need to add Aura Cascade into the mix, its an interesting mid game power source (needs diamonds)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheresaJayne posted:

Rocko, if you are working on a new BFSR, you need to add Aura Cascade into the mix, its an interesting mid game power source (needs diamonds)

Aura Cascade is such a weird mod that I've seen thrown into other packs for no reason but for the sake of having another mod on the pile. I don't understand its point other than a novel proof of concept. 'Here, smelt your items by tossing them on the ground along with some coal for the red aura generator.' Just.. why?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

CoFH stuff is definitely not updated to 1.10.2 yet. At last report, they were working on an update to 1.9.4, and that update may be limited scope. There's no ETA or indication how far along things are yet.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Black Pants posted:

Aura Cascade is such a weird mod that I've seen thrown into other packs for no reason but for the sake of having another mod on the pile. I don't understand its point other than a novel proof of concept. 'Here, smelt your items by tossing them on the ground along with some coal for the red aura generator.' Just.. why?

Its actually quite clever rather than making your machines and power on the same level you have to think vertically - how do you get the power up how can you get the best return for low power input?

what i would like to see is a proper water system, so you can have rivers flowing into a reservoir then flowing downhill powering a series of water wheels or turbines
then step up/down transformers, AC and DC power like real life so the youngsters can actually learn how power actually works -
imagine it - pylons running the length of the MC world

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are there any mods in 1.10.2 to change oregen? BFSR just isn't the same unless it's practically 50% rock and 50% ore.

I also seriously hope AE2 does get an update, or a whole lot of stuff I did in the beta will become useless. I don't think anybody even has done the crazy stuff at the end. There are alternatives popping up, but I was particularly using spatial storage for shenanigans. I do not look forward to having to move that to another model.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Black Pants posted:

Unfortunately making sufficient steam for it outside of a BR reactor/actively cooled Mekanism fusion reactor is a bit of a pain in the rear end. Huuuuge thermoelectric steam boiler with fuelwood heat generators piped onto it burning coal. :effort:

An MFR Steam Boiler outputs 400mb/t of Steam as long as it has water and its internal temperature is above 100C. You can maintain a temperature of ~106C by drip-feeding a boiler 1 coal/charcoal every 20 seconds. (If you just stock the boiler full of coal, it will heat up more and consume the fuel faster.) Still requires some building, but it's simpler than building BR reactors and very cheap on fuel.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Well that's Blightfall finally done! The cleaning bit was pretty tedious but I got it over with in the end...Course now I'm without a good modpack to play anymore, does anyone here have any suggestions?

Barring that I do have an idea for a modpack of my own, however I'm not sure if people would enjoy an exploration based modpack in the style of a metroidvania game...Including setting the player into Adventure Mode for the majority of the pack except in very specific areas, though I heard Adventure Mode isn't really that popular?

Krakatoah fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 15, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Main problem with adventure mode is it focuses on the weakest part of the game. Minecraft has garbage combat and clunky movement. Without the ability to be creating with building neat stuff or the satisfaction of working towards crafting cool stuff, it's just not that exciting.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

in 1.7.10, are there any interesting ways of mass converting something into something else that isn't via ProjectE/Equivalent Exchange? I'm doing... well, it's more of a thought exercise, and I'm just wondering what's available, since I can't think of anything outside of ProjectE for converting something into something completely different.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 15, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Matter Overdrive? The description of it sounds rather grognardy but it appears to take the applied energistics route; instead of building a network and patterns to auto-craft a complex object from a series of steps, you build a network and scanned patterns to convert a your stored pool of liquid/gas 'Matter' into your desired result.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
Botania has the Alchemy Catalyst. When placed under a mana pool, it lets you drop certain items into the pool and get a different item back out, e.g. Redstone <> Glowstone. The default list of recipes is fairly short, but it's easily configurable with MineTweaker.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Fullthrottle Alchemist deconstructs items into their elements. You research new items when deconstructing. Then use the elements to build the new items.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

neogeo0823 posted:

in 1.7.10, are there any interesting ways of mass converting something into something else that isn't via ProjectE/Equivalent Exchange? I'm doing... well, it's more of a thought exercise, and I'm just wondering what's available, since I can't think of anything outside of ProjectE for converting something into something completely different.

There's MineChem, which is pretty cool for a certain type of nerd. (me)

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are there any mods in 1.10.2 to change oregen? BFSR just isn't the same unless it's practically 50% rock and 50% ore.
I think you are looking for Substratum or maybe Orespawn.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

bigperm posted:

I think you are looking for Substratum or maybe Orespawn.
LOL Orespawn it is! It looks like it literally uses the CoFH oregen JSON format.

I wonder if I can convince them to take in the code I wanted to push to CoFH core so I could make mini nether fortress dungeons in The Nether. Skyboy wouldn't take my patch because it didn't fulfill his limited vision for those oregen overrides. :(

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I want to make custom mobs for Minecraft forge, what would be a good basic modeler in which to do that? It looks like Techne hasn't updated in two years and that was what I experimented with ages ago.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It looks like I don't have CoFH mods nor Galacticraft for 1.10.2, so that would lead to a really crappy Baby's First Space Race. I mean, no moon rocket... kind of a problem. Also missing is Artifice due to needing CoFHCore, and Natura. It looks like Natura's a dead turd, which is sad for me because I considered bloodwood a great resource and sufficiently challenging to get.

I did play with orespawn, and I was able to roughly transfer over some oregen settings. The JSON format is not identical to the CoFH one. So I didn't have to restart Minecraft a gajillion times from typos in configuration, I wrote a JSON transformer for the oregen rules I wrote before. I think I can have it translate the ore names I was using from thermal expansion in the Mekanism ones; that should ramp up the oregen rates.

Does anybody know which mod bundles the Realistic terrain generator in 1.10.2? I think there's a release of it I could just install, but I saw it in the mod pack I butchered as an option without having that specific mod installed. I'm thinking maybe it was Biomes o' Plenty. I whacked that too and Forestry. I don't really have an assitch against BoP, but I personally do think it made things a little too busy.

I have to also drop in Enchiridion (I hope) and HQM. I added Veinminer, but I have to configure it to do sand, among others.

There are a few things I kept in from the pack I butchered. I'm assuming the Ruins mod is adding crazy dungeons now, or is that something else? I've seen it before. There is some various structure on the surface that descends into a very common dungeon layout that stems out in four directions from a common pillar. I've found the dungeon stuff to be really weak; the loot is especially bad. However, it's become my new favorite place to set up a base. I tend to just plug up the dungeon, wall off the surface structure, and then descend when I need more room. A bit of bushwhacking, and I have myself a nice starting interior for an underground base.

Are any goons at this point assembling a 1.10.2, or did I stumble into this? I wasn't planning to release anything anytime soon.

Edit: I'm assuming the JourneyMap Patreon spam when you start a new world and open the JourneyMap GUI will stop all the butthurt about people putting it in their packs--rather than every single person specifically going online to download it and bring in the tasty AdFly bucks. And by "tasty," I mean "non-existent."

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Mzbundifund posted:

Main problem with adventure mode is it focuses on the weakest part of the game. Minecraft has garbage combat and clunky movement. Without the ability to be creating with building neat stuff or the satisfaction of working towards crafting cool stuff, it's just not that exciting.

So unless I do an absolute ton of modding or something happens to the combat and movement it sounds like trying to execute the idea I do have wouldn't be really worth it? I could try to alter it but the reason I wanted to use Adventure Mode was due to wanting to use custom built maps with secrets hidden away that the player wouldn't be able to access immediately until they got a certain ability/tool to reach it...Everyone being able to just circumvent the majority of these obstacles with stacks of dirt would make the whole idea redundant, I can understand why people would think the combat is bad though...At the endgame of my Blightfall playthrough a lot of combat was basically me just left clicking in the general direction of an enemy and my heavily enchanted Excalibur would mince them whilst also healing me...nevermind my also heavily enchanted Ichorcloth armor ensuring that the only way I'd die would be from me deciding to swallow a mining laser.

Maybe I should have an area where the player is free to build with the blocks/mods that they've unlocked so far? Then they can create the tools they need to further progress/explore in the Adventure Mode portion of the modpack and gather more resources getting stronger as they go, they could also craft items/teach the mods to NPCs who in return will assist the player with tasks that they need help with....Like teaching your band of NPCs how to use thaumaturgy would result in a daily income of vis/essentia/research points/items and other similar benefits.

Krakatoah fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 16, 2016

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody know which mod bundles the Realistic terrain generator in 1.10.2? I think there's a release of it I could just install, but I saw it in the mod pack I butchered as an option without having that specific mod installed. I'm thinking maybe it was Biomes o' Plenty. I whacked that too and Forestry. I don't really have an assitch against BoP, but I personally do think it made things a little too busy.

It's probably Quark, which includes a "realistic" setting. Quark is also a must have mod for the most part.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
So I'm looking to build a hungry node containment cell so that I can get a huge node for CV. Any advice on building the cell?

Also does it eat the stabilizers and stuff? If so how do I hold it down long enough to crack it open.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Obsidian will not get eaten and I guess anything with greater hardness will not either. Stabilizers will get eaten, however, so if you're trying to eventually open it up for centi-vis use you're going to have to be quick when placing and activating. Once stable I believe it no longer attempts to suck everything in its vicinity.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Bring spare stabilizers and transducers. Lots of them.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Fortis posted:

It's probably Quark, which includes a "realistic" setting. Quark is also a must have mod for the most part.

Seems like it. I just went through the feature list and it was listed right there. I popped that one out because I didn't recognize it when I was flailing around in the mods folder originally.

New questions:
1. Is there something in JEI to dump item and block IDs? I am trying to figure out the block names for all of Mekanism's ores so I can boost its generation in lieu of not having thermal expansion ores. Also, I want to try to bump up loot.
2. Is there something like the old adventure mod that had all the castles and stuff? The thing I have here seems to be fixated on dungeons. I am looking at having more random structures to arbitrarily move into at the beginning of the game.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There are a few things I kept in from the pack I butchered. I'm assuming the Ruins mod is adding crazy dungeons now, or is that something else? I've seen it before. There is some various structure on the surface that descends into a very common dungeon layout that stems out in four directions from a common pillar. I've found the dungeon stuff to be really weak; the loot is especially bad. However, it's become my new favorite place to set up a base. I tend to just plug up the dungeon, wall off the surface structure, and then descend when I need more room. A bit of bushwhacking, and I have myself a nice starting interior for an underground base.

That's Roguelike Dungeons and the loot may be week, but it's fun content and the loot can be a useful jumpstart for finding some resources (e.g. cocoa beans) if you're having trouble finding it's specific spawn area.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are any goons at this point assembling a 1.10.2, or did I stumble into this? I wasn't planning to release anything anytime soon.

I made one in Curse Voice for my family, but haven't shared it. Works decently, with a few hiccups and I haven't done any of the Vein Miner or Ore Spawn configurations, just left vanilla.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Sage Grimm posted:

Obsidian will not get eaten and I guess anything with greater hardness will not either. Stabilizers will get eaten, however, so if you're trying to eventually open it up for centi-vis use you're going to have to be quick when placing and activating. Once stable I believe it no longer attempts to suck everything in its vicinity.

Magres posted:

Bring spare stabilizers and transducers. Lots of them.

Ok so would it be a wise idea to set up a CV system beforehand? I have about eleven other nodes I've snagged before thinking about the hungry one.

And if so, can I just set up a bunch of transducers and stabilizers for them? Or do the relays not work that way?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hey wow who gives a poo poo what I have to say but lmao
https://blog.twitch.tv/twitch-and-curse-8ae2b20acf91#.phaue9ufq

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Anyone else noticed lower FPS after the Anniversary update?
I could swear It has slowed my game down since then and it almost feels like I have mouse smoothing on even though that is turned off.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Hey wow who gives a poo poo what I have to say but lmao
https://blog.twitch.tv/twitch-and-curse-8ae2b20acf91#.phaue9ufq

Crazy, I would have thought that Twitch would be bought vs the other way around. Wonder how that'll pan out.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Falcon2001 posted:

Crazy, I would have thought that Twitch would be bought vs the other way around. Wonder how that'll pan out.

Twitch was bought by Amazon already.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

RaspberryCommie posted:

So I'm looking to build a hungry node containment cell so that I can get a huge node for CV. Any advice on building the cell?

Also does it eat the stabilizers and stuff? If so how do I hold it down long enough to crack it open.

Obsidian as said.

When it is time to cure it you have a few options.

1) a stack of stabilizers until you manage to get one that doesnt get eaten.

2) Drop wooden slabs on the top, equal exchange the obsidian to glass, then jar the node. Take it over to a tainted area and leave it until it changes from hungry to tainted. Jar it up again, or cardboardbox it (though you might beable to straight out cardboard box it first up) to where you want it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Cardboard boxing a node changes it to a random other node when you de-box it.