Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is best in life?
This poll is closed.
Idols 44 15.22%
Baps 77 26.64%
Robots 72 24.91%
3d 38 13.15%
Touhous 58 20.07%
Total: 289 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

General Dog posted:

I'm generally not an anime guy, but a friend recommended Death Note to me so I binged through it on Netflix before it expires at the end of the month. The chess game aspect was fun enough and kept me watching the next episode and the one after that, but overall I thought it wasn't very good. Am I wrong?

Death Note is definitely pretty severely flawed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

General Dog posted:

I'm generally not an anime guy, but a friend recommended Death Note to me so I binged through it on Netflix before it expires at the end of the month. The chess game aspect was fun enough and kept me watching the next episode and the one after that, but overall I thought it wasn't very good. Am I wrong?

You suck rear end and so does Death Note

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So the girlfriend is R. Dorothy Wayneright?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

General Dog posted:

Death Note gets way worse after L dies. I haven't watched it in a long time though and I enjoyed it back then.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DoubleDonut posted:

Death Note is definitely pretty severely flawed

It seems like it might have been better if there was some point in the series where Light seemed remotely sympathetic, or at least like someone you'd ever want to spend time with, rather than jumping straight to supervillain within like the first 2 episodes.

Droyer posted:

Death Note gets way worse after L dies. I haven't watched it in a long time though and I enjoyed it back then.

Yeah, killing the only interesting character and replacing him with a Scrappy-Doo version of himself for the last third of the series is also a strange choice.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 15, 2016

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

General Dog posted:

It seems like it might have been better if there was some point in the series where Light seemed remotely sympathetic, or at least like someone you'd ever want to spend time with, rather than jumping straight to supervillain within like the first 2 episodes.

That hasn't stopped internet people from having long, tedious arguments about whether Light is justified or not

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

That hasn't stopped internet people from having long, tedious arguments about whether Light is justified or not

Has anything ever stopped internet people from having long, tedious arguments about anything?

I'm gonna say no.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Motto posted:

what exactly do you guys mean by dead/dying then?

"Gets less fan works than kancolle"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Death Note anime was really well directed, albeit rather silly at times, and the core premise is good, but the writing really wilts the further in you get.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

Funny, because the show isn't really interested in that question at all. Death Note- the rules are made up and the lives don't matter.

Anyway thanks, I know you guys probably aren't interested in rehashing what I'm sure are played out arguments over a 10 year old show, just wanted to see what the consensus was.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

z0glin Warchief posted:

Has anything ever stopped internet people from having long, tedious arguments about anything?

I'm gonna say no.
What's your opinion on emission and conjuration?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

General Dog posted:

Funny, because the show isn't really interested in that question at all.

Anyway thanks, I know you guys probably aren't interested in rehashing what I'm sure are played out arguments over a 10 year old show, just wanted to see what the consensus was.

Don't worry, we'll have them all again when the live-action version starring Willem Dafoe is released

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lets try to determine which nen categories other posters would belong to

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
If there's one thing I'm an expert on, it's emissions

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

knorth would be a manipulator probably

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Woah.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

If there's one thing I'm an expert on, it's emissions

OTHER.POSTERS.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

z0glin Warchief posted:

I'm gonna say no.

Actually,

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

maybe ibram would be a trasnmuter?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

General Dog posted:

Funny, because the show isn't really interested in that question at all. Death Note- the rules are made up and the lives don't matter.

What kind of fiction do you normally like? We might be able to give you some good anime recommendations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

does having a big av remove your ability to have text

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

not really, i think it was more just kancolle came in as touhou was starting to fade and took the same spot. it didn't directly lead to touhou dying, it just happened to be the next part of the cycle.

and touhou still gets tons of doujins and doujin games and remix cds and stuff

it's interesting too because industry-spawned stuff like kancolle and granblue will probably be more ephemeral, which means lots of cool and different things to look forward to. It's like touhou hosted a breeding ground of cool artists and IPs and now Zun can just kick back on his chair and drink a beer as he watches his children grow up, literally and figuratively

and then crank out another game where reimu boards the magic school bus and deflates an incident in Cirno's appendix

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

So a rabbit made a very powerfully enemy today.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Droyer posted:

What kind of fiction do you normally like? We might be able to give you some good anime recommendations.

I might watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood since I watched the original series when it was airing on Adult Swim 10 years ago, but beyond that I think I'm retiring from anime.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

What's your opinion on emission and conjuration?

Thank you for keying me into yet another eternal debate that I had been blissfully unaware of until now.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Stairmaster posted:

lets try to determine which nen categories other posters would belong to

Stairmaster posted:

knorth would be a manipulator probably

I don't know what this means but okay?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

General Dog posted:

I might watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood since I watched the original series when it was airing on Adult Swim 10 years ago, but beyond that I think I'm retiring from anime.

Shame, there's other stuff that's not shonen out there to dig into.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

does having a big av remove your ability to have text

No, a big AV is just an image uploaded the the SA servers that you put in [img] tags in the text field. You can put normal text after

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thinking of picking up Yuru Yuri to fill the time I had been spending on Tanaka-kun now that I've finished Tanaka. How fanservicey is YY? If I watch on the train, am I at risk for randos looking over my shoulder and getting a facefull of anime rear end or w/e?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Thinking of picking up Yuru Yuri to fill the time I had been spending on Tanaka-kun now that I've finished Tanaka. How fanservicey is YY? If I watch on the train, am I at risk for randos looking over my shoulder and getting a facefull of anime rear end or w/e?

there is no anime rear end in yuru yuri, the anime about middle schoolers

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Spiritus Nox posted:

Zero percent fanservicey

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
however, there is a part where one character forces the main character to kiss her

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Space Flower posted:

it's interesting too because industry-spawned stuff like kancolle and granblue will probably be more ephemeral, which means lots of cool and different things to look forward to. It's like touhou hosted a breeding ground of cool artists and IPs and now Zun can just kick back on his chair and drink a beer as he watches his children grow up, literally and figuratively

and then crank out another game where reimu boards the magic school bus and deflates an incident in Cirno's appendix

Yeah, I don't think any of the big franchises of now will be celebrating a 20th anniversary like touhou did. Seems like things come and go much faster these days

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

do we live in an era of darkness

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that said, yuru yuri s1 and s2 are very fun comedies and i highly recommend watching up to nachuyachumi because the ovas and season 3 are some of the most chill, cute and fun sol stuff ever made, even if they're less focused on comedy than s1 and s2

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

there is no anime rear end in yuru yuri, the anime about middle schoolers

Excellent. Forgot it was a middle school show.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

do we live in an era of darkness

Yes

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Someone might get a faceful of this specific scene but I think that's okay

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i wish i could buy that kyoko avatar i want

maybe for my birthday, it'll be a birthday present yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

The Colonel posted:

however, there is a part where one character forces the main character to kiss her

also, the older sister

• Locked thread