Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Despite my better judgement, I went to go see this with my son. I thought it was pretty entertaining, and would like to see the characters again. I'm not sure how I felt about the Joker, but I didn't hate home despite how annoying I have found Leto discussing the Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
$500M worldwide.

I don't think DC/WB is going to give even half of a gently caress about bad reviews. Especially when the BR drops this fall.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rhyno posted:

$500M worldwide.

I don't think DC/WB is going to give even half of a gently caress about bad reviews. Especially when the BR drops this fall.

Yeah, honestly it's looking around what a Phase 1 MCU film would make, which is pretty much where they're at right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

computer parts posted:

Yeah, honestly it's looking around what a Phase 1 MCU film would make, which is pretty much where they're at right now.

Batman V Superman's worldwide gross was like $875M and that isn't even counting the insane amount of merchandise that they sold or the BR that set a sales record the first week it was out. I can't deny the films have flaws but WB isn't sweating in the slightest.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

$500M worldwide.

Wasn't the break even 700+ world wide or 300+ domestic though?

Really if you want to know how WB feels about it compare their box office numbers to Disneys. Disney is killing it this year, WB has got to be greatly disappointed.

Looks like ~$4.5Bil for Disney vs. ~$2.7Bil for WB if I'm reading it right from Boxofficemojo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

axelord posted:

Wasn't the break even 700+ world wide or 300+ domestic though?

Really if you want to know how WB feels about it compare their box office numbers to Disneys. Disney is killing it this year, WB has got to be greatly disappointed.

Looks like ~$4.5Bil for Disney vs. ~$2.7Bil for WB if I'm reading it right from Boxofficemojo

Where did those break even numbers come from? I've seen vastly different quotes every time it's brought up. And Geoff Johns is on record saying that they're not basing their expectations on how much Marvel is making as Marvel has an 8 year head start on a shared universe.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Where did those break even numbers come from? I've seen vastly different quotes every time it's brought up. And Geoff Johns is on record saying that they're not basing their expectations on how much Marvel is making as Marvel has an 8 year head start on a shared universe.

I don't remember exactly saw someone post it I think. When the talk that WB had written off the movie and were going to be happy to make up cost. Maybe that article about the 2 different cuts of the film? Sorry not sure

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhyno posted:

The break even numbers came from the THR article about the hidden drama behind the film: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

quote:

Even on the day of the premiere, one insider fretted about whether Suicide Squad would mirror BvS' huge opening and weak legs. Another veteran says the goal is survival: "The movie's got to do $750 million, $800 million to break even. If they get anywhere close to that, they'll consider it a win."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ah yes, unnamed sources. Just like that letter claiming to be from a former WB exec that dropped the other day.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

teagone posted:

The break even numbers came from the THR article about the hidden drama behind the film: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

In the context of the article, that sounds like the amount of money they expected to make from it, not the amount that it actually costs to make.

And yeah, unknown sources to add on top of that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhyno posted:

Ah yes, unnamed sources. Just like that letter claiming to be from a former WB exec that dropped the other day.

I agree, just playing the messenger. Unnamed or veteran source citations are complete BS to me unless proven.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Saw this today and was really disappointed. I will have to watch it again because I went into it with expectations that I think were implied by the trailers.

I thought this was going to be about the squad being organized to take down the Joker. The trailers I watched made it look like Joker was the villain. Obviously that is not the case.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Budget wise it's right in line with the lower-tier MCU Phase 2 stuff, and seems like it's on track to make just below that level of money (minus what it would have made in China unfortunately). If WB was swinging for 800 million on their first non-Superman/Batman shared universe that seems just insane.

I don't think it's unfair to compare to Marvel since they have literally a decade of data on what certain properties make on what budget. But it looks to be exactly in line with what those films are budgeted at and gross, so its weird that people seem to be setting it up as a failure unless it does significantly better than Marvel at the same exact stage in the process.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Batman V Superman was never an Avengers. As the second film in the series, it corresponds with Hulk 2 (and obviously surpassed that one).

Suicide Squad corresponds with Iron Man 2, in more ways than one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Batman V Superman was never an Avengers. As the second film in the series, it corresponds with Hulk 2 (and obviously surpassed that one).

SMG just said that Don Cheadle and Will Smith look alike.

RACIST.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Wait, there was a Hulk 2? Oh, you probably mean the Ed Norton one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

I agree, just playing the messenger. Unnamed or veteran source citations are complete BS to me unless proven.

I'm starting to get on board with these unnamed sources. Especially after Fantastic Four and Ghostbusters. The guy who leaked the GB plot was right on the money. Minus a few small, tiny details.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

People can't really call bullshit on Hollywood accounting and also actually buy that any quoted number is actually true when it comes to "breaking even". Especially on big movies, where the revenue stream isn't based solely on the film's box office, and even sometimes where box office is a sliver of the real returns.

Suicide Squad is successful in that it broke hard into two demographics that I doubt Warner Bros really expected as much as it got and are not the "traditional" audience for superhero flicks - minorities across the board and teenage girls especially - who will now probably show up for a Squad 2 and wherever else these characters (particularly Deadshot and Harley) show up in the DC universe. 41% of the opening weekend audience for SS was black or hispanic (and they dug it a lot - 81% said they loved it), and 46% of the opening night's audience was women, with the age of course skewing younger due to the source material on both ends. Squad essentially did about as well as Deadpool did with women. And so far as anyone has been able to tell, these are the people who kept coming back through the week and have the movie floating to above $200 million domestic over a week and change.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The further removed I get from having seen Suicide Squad, the more I feel that Diablo was the standout character for me.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
You know what would be a good double-feature with this? The '97 Spawn.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess but Christ...

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Other good movies to double feature with this:
Mystery Men
Chappie
Robocop 2

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I Before E posted:

Mystery Men
Chappie
Robocop 2

Please don't bring a timeless classic like RoboCop 2 in to this.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Please don't bring a timeless classic like RoboCop 2 in to this.

Uh Mystery Men is also a timeless classic and history will shine brighter on Chappie as time goes on, much like Suicide Squad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think Chappie's legacy will only get worse. It's a movie while watching, I could tell very few people can tolerate it.

I love it though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

I think Chappie's legacy will only get worse. It's a movie while watching, I could tell very few people can tolerate it.

I love it though.

It's odd, I had the exact opposite reaction to Chappie. I have no problem loving movies while also seeing and understanding aspects that people wouldn't care for at all. I was baffled by the reception Chappie got.

Speaking of Ayer, Fury gave me the same reaction.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

I love it though.

I saw the movie looking for robot centered dialog, I got a South African punk band yelling for 2 hours.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Harley is apparently getting her own film with a few other female DC characters thrown in.

Saw this Friday and all I really wanted was Harley Quinn The Movie. Ended up enjoying it. If they've got a real Harley Quinn the movie in the works I'll be there opening weekend.

Wasn't really feeling Marilyn Manson Joker, but didn't ruin the movie for me or anything.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

The further removed I get from having seen Suicide Squad, the more I feel that Diablo was the standout character for me.

Well he does have the only real character arc in the whole movie

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Saw this last night, we both really liked it despite the fact that large chunks of the movie made absolutely no sense. It was very fun and we really wanna see the "full" version with all the cut dialogue.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought the script missed a big opportunity with him. He was fighting the Enchantress, a magic-using mythological figure, and his religion or belief system heritage could have played into the story. Instead of just, "They have powers, I have powers too!" Like, they seemed to be vaguely Egyptian looking, and Diablo could have called upon or derived power from some similar Mayan or Aztec pantheon.
I realize this isn't a big deal with such a fast moving sloppy action flick but I would prefer superhero movies to be a little more than punch punch shoot shoot zap zap.

But then I thought that entire 'archeology' plot angle came and went at the convenience of the action line. Similar to the end of Ghostbusters, I was left wondering "where did The Enchantress and her brother go when they were dispatched by the Suicide Squad?", that is, the Squad (or an archeologist with them) should have re-captured them using incantations to trap them back in spirit bottles because now they're still on the loose. (And why would an ancient Enchantress need a CGI machine at all but that's just a nitpick I suppose).

Overall the movie was fun to watch but formulaic with too many plot holes and undeveloped characters. And like precision, I look forward to seeing an extended DVD version that will hopefully fill in some gaps.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 15, 2016

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I wonder if people surprised they put a team of non-powered criminals and loons to fight "bad Superman" were surprised when Dick Cheney wasn't really interested in finding WMDs in Iraq after all.
The original comic sat next to Batman comics where Robin saved President Reagan from Iranian assassins on hand gliders, the idea of using bastards to beat bigger bastards and save hostages was still entertaining to public then. It would have been extremely naive and dishonest to portray Waller as anything but a ridiculous, incompetent monster in 2016.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bro Dad posted:

Well he does have the only real character arc in the whole movie

I guess that Deadshot's daughter also had an arc even though it almost completely happens off screen, she goes from "I still love my dad even though he does evil things" at the start to "Assassins are cool and awesome!" after he helps save the world.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Binary Logic posted:

I thought the script missed a big opportunity with him. He was fighting the Enchantress, a magic-using mythological figure, and his religion or belief system heritage could have played into the story. Instead of just, "They have powers, I have powers too!" Like, they seemed to be vaguely Egyptian looking, and Diablo could have called upon or derived power from some similar Mayan or Aztec pantheon.

I agree, Diablo was arguably the only metahuman on the team and a completely wasted opportunity. He had a good redemption arc going and had a kickass fight at the end, even if it only lasted about 15 seconds. The first thing that went through my head when he squared off against Incubus was that he was channeling Queztalcoatl or something but that didn't really lead into anything bigger.

And is it just me or does it feel like the Joker was more of a bit part than an actual role? He couldn't have had more than 3 minutes of screentime considering how much they tried marketing him. I think he had more footage in the trailers than he did in the actual movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

As Nero Danced posted:

And is it just me or does it feel like the Joker was more of a bit part than an actual role? He couldn't have had more than 3 minutes of screentime considering how much they tried marketing him. I think he had more footage in the trailers than he did in the actual movie.

A whole bunch of his scenes were shortened or removed altogether:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Binary Logic posted:

I realize this isn't a big deal with such a fast moving sloppy action flick but I would prefer superhero movies to be a little more than punch punch shoot shoot zap zap.

Uh? Diablo turned into a flaming skeleton dressed in traditional aztec garb, most likely an aztec god.

And as I pointed out before, Enchantress' headress was incredibly similar to the aztec' s Sun stone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I Before E posted:

Mystery Men
Chappie
Robocop 2

It's very Chappie, I agree.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I guess that Deadshot's daughter also had an arc even though it almost completely happens off screen, she goes from "I still love my dad even though he does evil things" at the start to "Assassins are cool and awesome!" after he helps save the world.

Assassin's Creed will hit record sales that year in Gotham.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Croc was the best character. End of story.

It set up a great math joke. Worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Stupid Dumb Bullshit Alternate Story Idea:
-Amanda Waller sets up Taskforce X
-In the opening credits montage we see them taking care of business as well as a number of team casualties during their previous missions
-She recruits Harley and Deadshot, the rest of the team are veteran members
-Joker Toxin set to be incinerated was instead sold on the black market by the CIA (insert cameo of DC gangster here, Penguin? Tobias Whale? Great White Shark?)
-Kasnian nationalists buy toxin along with a number of other supervillain tier weapons and mercenaries (insert cameos of C-list DC bad guys)
-Kasnian extremists take Kasnia in a coup with widespread use of the Joker Toxin
-Waller's fake mission is to disable the super-powered mercenaries, her real mission is to retrieve the Joker Toxin
-BUT her real REAL mission is to have Harley (who is immune to the toxin) lure the Joker to Kasnia to make it look like he was part of the super-mercenaries and that the toxin wasn't a fuckup by the United States

MacheteZombie posted:

Croc was the best character. End of story.

I really wish they gave him more to do. Loved him in the cartoon and here. I like low-key gangster cannibal Hulk.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 15, 2016

• Locked thread