Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

IAmTheRad posted:

One thing you should do with your refrigerator as well is make it a few degrees below freezing. I am going to use Celcius for this, as my everyday life I use Celcius. 0C = 32F.
I set my refrigerator to -10C. While it makes it harder to get to the -10, it makes it easier once the refrigerator hits that temperature to stay below freezing. When I set it to exactly 0, it will be harder for it to stay at 0, and will usually hover around the 1-2C mark. -10 makes sure that it will stay around -8, and thus always be freezing. Once it hits the proper temperature it uses less power than it takes to reach that temperature in the first place.

Do you have to be at freezing to refrigerate food? Does 40F not work to slow spoilage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bonds0097 posted:

Do you have to be at freezing to refrigerate food? Does 40F not work to slow spoilage?

Freezing ends spoilage forever, refrigeration just slows it down

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's a sharp limit as well, OC is frozen and 1C is refrigerated. There's no gradient between them.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

404notfound posted:

How do you survive on an ice sheet?

You can't play as tribal on a true ice sheet - no trees means no way to regulate temperature beyond geothermals until electricity. Picked traditional or rich guy.

First thing you'll want to locate a decently sized patch of gravel. Bonus points if it's near or on-top of a geothermal. Having a 10x10 room around a geothermal will raise the temperature inside significantly. Make sure to build your walls out of steel - you need that initial wood for cold snaps/solar flares for campfires, and to make production stations.

Next, create a growing zone and plant some potatoes around a sun lamp. You'll want to have a nutrient paste dispenser up and running before your first harvest. Depending on how cold your ice sheet is and whether or not you built on a geotherm, you'll need to make some heaters to taste. Stonecutting is a high priority - you'll want to eventually double (or triple) insulate your external base walls to prevent heat loss during cold snaps, and stone provides the best insulation factor. Making airgaps with a pair or trio of doors spaced 3 apart as the only exit will also help prevent heat loss.

Clothing is also incredibly important, so hunt whatever animal shows up and make parkas ASAP. This will be the only way to get anything done outside during winter. Once you get to hydroponics and have your food concerns taken care of, you can grow cotton to have a more reliable source of clothing.

If you find yourself running out of food, keep in mind that if your ice sheet is frozen year-round, meals can just be dug up out of the ground in the form of ex-raiders.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
It's better to freeze stuff. Your colonists don't see a difference between something at -10C and something that is at 20C when they put it in their mouth.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

IAmTheRad posted:

One thing you should do with your refrigerator as well is make it a few degrees below freezing. I am going to use Celcius for this, as my everyday life I use Celcius. 0C = 32F.
I set my refrigerator to -10C. While it makes it harder to get to the -10, it makes it easier once the refrigerator hits that temperature to stay below freezing. When I set it to exactly 0, it will be harder for it to stay at 0, and will usually hover around the 1-2C mark. -10 makes sure that it will stay around -8, and thus always be freezing. Once it hits the proper temperature it uses less power than it takes to reach that temperature in the first place.

I'm gonna add a tip someone else gave here earlier:

Use your freezer's heat exhaust as a heater for your colonist's rooms! Spacing can be an issue but you save so much energy and materials

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My current colony is meant to be a for- profit penal colony but so far I haven't gotten anybody that buys prisoners. Time to "send some people to Zolem" I guess :getin: .

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Away all Goats posted:

I'm gonna add a tip someone else gave here earlier:

Use your freezer's heat exhaust as a heater for your colonist's rooms! Spacing can be an issue but you save so much energy and materials

Why would you have a freezer on an ice sheet?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

diarmuidqq posted:

Build a firebreak.

That's fine for dealing with things catching fire near my base. My threat model here is things catching fire inside my base.

In the most recent occurrence, a swarm of manhunting boomrats attacked, and while most of them were shot down at the edge of my base and were thus no threat, the survivors ran right past the defenders (despite being "manhunters") into the middle of the base and then stopped moving long enough to get shot, exploding next to my living quarters and instantly transforming it into a raging inferno beyond the ability of my colonists to manage. That is the kind of thing I'm trying to defend against.

As far as I can tell, I basically have three options:

- Stop them from reaching the base in the first place. Since they'll ignore the colonists who are actively shooting at people to go after my buildings, I'm not sure how to accomplish this. Strew lots of extra rubble around to make them move slower and give my colonists more time to shoot at them? Set up turrets to draw their attention? That requires turret research, though, which takes even longer than stonecutting.

- Make the base harder to set on fire. This means making it out of not-wood. I could mine it into a hillside (extremely slow), make it out of steel (but then I can't afford a power grid -- unless I mine lots of metal, in which case we're back to slow), or make it out of stone (which requires researching stonecutting and then cutting a shitload of stone, which is even slower than mining)! All of these options take at least a full season, and usually two, to get up and running, plus I then need to replace whatever I built in the interim out of wood -- because if I don't build anything, everyone goes crazy from being stuck in lovely tiny cells.

- Make fire easier to manage. Some kind of flame-retardant coating for the floors or walls (as far as I know, doesn't exist), firefighting tools (ditto) -- is there anything available early-game here that I'm missing?

Now that I've written all of that out, I think what I'm really asking here is "how do people get stone or metal construction off the ground early"? For my most recent game I just edited the start so that stonecutting starts out researched (come on, you can build photovoltaics out of scrap metal but can't pile rocks on top of each other?), but clearly other people are managing to put together stone or metal bases that are large enough for people to not snap before summer ends -- so how do you do it?

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Now that I've written all of that out, I think what I'm really asking here is "how do people get stone or metal construction off the ground early"? For my most recent game I just edited the start so that stonecutting starts out researched (come on, you can build photovoltaics out of scrap metal but can't pile rocks on top of each other?), but clearly other people are managing to put together stone or metal bases that are large enough for people to not snap before summer ends -- so how do you do it?

You can deconstruct the random walls and floors that spawn on maps for stone blocks. Also don't forget about setting up restricted zones so your people can hide away inside your settlement walls from manhunters

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Is there any easy way to stop trained animals from wandering between my hunting parties and what they're firing at?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Walton Simons posted:

Is there any easy way to stop trained animals from wandering between my hunting parties and what they're firing at?

I designate a zone for animals to chillax while I snipe dudes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Walton Simons posted:

Assign the animals to someone not hunting

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I legitimately believe this guy brought me bad luck. Everyone around him kept dying.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Baloogan posted:

don't stick your hospital next door to your slaughter house.

I put the morgue and incinerator just off my Medbay.

Access requires passing through the Medbay.

I've made a huge mistake.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I put the incinerator in by my stockpile so all the clothes don't need to be hauled for sale

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Best way I know to early-game fireproof your base is to build individual buildings and pave between them with the cheap concrete. If a fire starts one guy might lose his house, but the rest of the base is safe. Yes, concrete is ugly, but it's not very ugly, and just setting a couple tiny grow zones with a few rose bushes in it will more than offset any issues.

Panfilo posted:

My current colony is meant to be a for- profit penal colony but so far I haven't gotten anybody that buys prisoners. Time to "send some people to Zolem" I guess :getin: .

How do you handle all the bad prisoner sale thoughts?

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 15, 2016

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

Prepare Carefully, psychopaths only.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The AI really does not know how to deal with moats or moat like areas. Really needs to have a higher weight put on faster tiles.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This may be a dumb question, but how are you moving water around to make a moat?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

i'm playing on randy random after learning the basics and the game is really throwing everything at me with sieges after raids after exploding animal attacks, etc. it's a wonder i'm still running. i did lose some people to infection and as a result lost a lot of useful skills however. i have three prisoners but my social skill is too low. is there a way to make it easier to recruit them? like improving the jail quality or something?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

This may be a dumb question, but how are you moving water around to make a moat?

You don't; it's basically a different floor added by a mod called More Vanilla Turrets. It's not impassable, it just changes the speed at which pawns travel on it to ~15%. It also takes forever to get a decent depth for the moat, the one pictured took me at least 2 or 3 seasons to complete.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 15, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Bought this today, and I've run two settlements so far.

My first, Pharyngula, was going well until a heatwave came along and killed off everyone except my doctor. The town "leader" had a pet warg that went insane when his master died, and he attacked the doctor. The doctor lived, but was badly wounded. I managed to bury all of her friends just in time for some pirates to show up, knock her out, and kidnap her.

Second settlement I named "Stab Town". It turned out to he a prescient name. Again, all was well. I was prepared for heatwaves and food spoilage this time thanks to the magic of :science:. I started in mountains, and tunneled out a sweet mountain fortress.

Then one of my settlers had a mental break, walked into the freezer, took her clothes off, and stayed there for three days. During this time, some raiders attacked and injured 3 of my other 4 settlers. So now hypothermia girl and the three defenders are in the infirmary. There's also one prisoner in the prison.

My main melee guy completely snaps and stabs everyone else in the infirmary to death/near death. He then heads into the prison and gets knocked out by the prisoner.

Pirates show up and burn my poo poo to the ground while carrying off everyone still squirming in pools of their own blood, while last uninjured settler hid in the research room.

According to the internet, part of the reason he snapped and killed everyone was that I didn't give him hardwood floors.

RIP Stab Town.

I love this game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

You don't; it's basically a different floor added by a mod called More Vanilla Turrets. It's not impassable, it just changes the speed at which pawns travel on it to ~15%. It also takes forever to get a decent depth for the moat, the one pictured took me at least 2 or 3 seasons to complete.

I'm not sure it's really the AI's fault it can't adapt to a mod. Naturally occurring moats of a scale you could actually use to protect a base are so unlikely it's not an issue that needs to be coded for.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

I'm not sure it's really the AI's fault it can't adapt to a mod. Naturally occurring moats of a scale you could actually use to protect a base are so unlikely it's not an issue that needs to be coded for.

Large amounts of mud or shallow water are prevalent enough in forest biomes that AI shouldn't really trudge through it unless they have to.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
loving hell. Finally had a colony that was going smoothly. I get to winter with 5 people, nobody going nuts, and a pack of 5 terriers joining up. So what a couple fires and beavers have decimated every tree on the map except in my enclave. We good.

Then a raid. No big deal just two guys with melee wepons... and shields. 2 guys get killed, another 2 go down in the fight but the attackers soundly defeated. A pacifist goes out to rescue the downed members and manages to get them to the med bay.

But yet, on the way to get medicine the pacifist sees a dead body, goes nuts and starts punching every dog in sight. After the third dog the pacifist goes down. Luckily, one of the downed fighters has healed enough to start walking again; the other regrettably dies.

Now with major infections in 5 different parts of their body, the pacifist dies. I think it was the left ear that got them.

Is this the end for the sole survivor of the worst colony on this god forsaken planet? Well yes. After a second raid is fended off thanks to a man hunting rhino, (the winter rhino being the most vicious of all the rhinos), an electrical spark incinerates the majority wooden homestead.

Rimworld.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

removing trees from outside your base is actually a sound strategy as it removes potential cover for raiders on re approach

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Mzbundifund posted:

I didn't even get to that point. A series of blights then toxic fallout wiped out my food supply and the collective hunger caused everybody to go berserk, murder and eat each other :stare:

Turns out it takes a lot of food to fees 9 colonists and 12 prisoners.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

should have put all the prisoners in a room and not fed them until you naturally arrived at a more manageable number of prisoners

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BBJoey posted:

should have put all the prisoners in a room and not fed them until you naturally arrived at a more manageable number of prisoners

This is why I wish my colony could install a Thunder dome. It would solve so many problems.

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
PROTIP: If you're gonna put a pair of scyther arms on one of your colonists, put a joywire in him too. I just had a dude go berserk and slash the bejeezus out of 3 others before he was knocked out.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

ToadStyle posted:

PROTIP: If you're gonna put a pair of scyther arms on one of your colonists, put a joywire in him too. I just had a dude go berserk and slash the bejeezus out of 3 others before he was knocked out.

Hey this just happened to me too. Had a psychic drone that pushed em over the edge and when she snapped she got all but one of my critical people. The one she didn't get couldn't Doctor, so everyone else either bled out or died of infections within the next season.

I really shouldn't have put them on the hypersensitive neurotic colonist.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

There any good youtube tutorials or at least amusing series' you can recommend? Last time I played a game like this was Boatmurdered-era Dwarf Fortress and I'm not sure I have the patience for the sort anymore :v:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

There any good youtube tutorials or at least amusing series' you can recommend? Last time I played a game like this was Boatmurdered-era Dwarf Fortress and I'm not sure I have the patience for the sort anymore :v:

If you want good Rimworld entertainment Aavak has a good playthrough of the previous alpha here. Much of the details for that version and this one are the same. He has one for the latest version as well, but it's not complete yet and I generally prefer a complete playlist to see. He's very competent and explains most stuff, and you can learn how to manage units in a fight, manage work priorities, and things like that by watching it.

Also four minutes into episode 2 one of his colonists' fat volatile depressive mother comes running out of the wilderness wearing nothing but a hat and forcibly joins the colony.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 15, 2016

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Thanks for the animal safety tips, less wounded Alpacas from now on hopefully.

a7m2 posted:

i'm playing on randy random after learning the basics and the game is really throwing everything at me with sieges after raids after exploding animal attacks, etc. it's a wonder i'm still running. i did lose some people to infection and as a result lost a lot of useful skills however. i have three prisoners but my social skill is too low. is there a way to make it easier to recruit them? like improving the jail quality or something?

Giving them a better cell helps. By making the cell of one of my prisoners bigger, I got the recruit chance from about 1% to 2%, (my highest social skill is 3) which was enough. Flowers, art, cleanliness, nice furniture and just allowing time for your warden to build rapport also helps. Also check their mood to make sure they're not cold or anything. One of the icons in the bottom right lets you see room stats when you hover over it so you can see where you're falling down.

I've got an 85% recruitment hardness prisoner and even with a decent size cell with a stone floor and flowers I get 1% recruit chance on a good day. Managed to put together an artwork called Vomit No.9 to go in her cell and we'll see how that goes. I'd give her lots of nice things but infestations and raids destroyed 3 of my 5 turrets, I desperately need to get geothermal power coming in and I'm under toxic fallout so I'm urgently getting my indoor farming setup up and running before we run out of food so I'm a little busy for home improvement.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I just had 2 travelers passing by just as a raid was forming. Before I could even get there the raiders killed/downed all the travelers. Now as I'm about to get rid of these guys what do I do with the downed traveler?

Do I take a faction hit if I capture the traveler? I can of course rescue them but I could always use more people.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

One of my colonists was always idle, no matter what I set her to do. She'd just hang around in the kitchen eating, and then go to sleep with everyone else.

Eventually I figured out why this was. She has no arms. Well, I suppose that explains it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What a miserable sack of poo poo this guy is.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Freaksaus posted:

So I just had 2 travelers passing by just as a raid was forming. Before I could even get there the raiders killed/downed all the travelers. Now as I'm about to get rid of these guys what do I do with the downed traveler?

Do I take a faction hit if I capture the traveler? I can of course rescue them but I could always use more people.

yeah last time i did that I made the traders into enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Squeegy posted:

What a miserable sack of poo poo this guy is.

When the soul is worthless, the organs still have value!