Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

coyo7e posted:

I would go against PoT because it's kind of like saying "okay cool I heard about crime drama so I'm gonna marathon Breaking Bad start to finish". It starts rough, and then just rapidly gets uglier and uglier. I never got to book 3 so though just like finishing the last season of BB within 2 years of first watching it thought so.. Maybe ya'll wanna start with 48 Hours or Police Academy or Kuffs or something first, ya know?

PoT gets progressively worse during the series. The first book is all about the protagonist being over the top evil, which I just couldn't take seriously the way it was written. At least the first book was kinda original in this way and when Jorg stops being evil the series loses what little it had and ends up as medieval Fallout with magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen

mdemone posted:

They've been a guilty pleasure for years, but I lost my paperbacks. Glad to hear they're in ebook format now, I'd never been able to track down a decent electronic copy.

Don't read them.

Say what you want but the last one stayed in my heart since I read it at fourteen years old - I still remember the absolutely batshit setting stuff and the sweet relationship between the two marines and the oh my god I am going to buy these right now.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Dragged The Big Book of Science Fiction home from the post office. After I nearly killed a small child with it by accident I set it down on my table and started reading. It's a colossal effort in every way and it even has two different stories named The Star (one by Wells, one by Clarke).

I'd recommend the e-book. It's even more ginormous than my Zones of Thought duology. I think the only other book I own that comes close is written by Eric Hobsbawm.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I think it says a lot about these books that I read this entire article and I still can't tell if it's an elaborate April Fool's joke from the long-distant Internet past.

And that's coming from someone who owns the METAL GEAR SOLID novelization.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Antti posted:

Dragged The Big Book of Science Fiction home from the post office. After I nearly killed a small child with it by accident I set it down on my table and started reading.

I'm a bit of the way through it now (into the 1950s; the stories are sorten chronologically) and it's great.

Almost died laughing at the end of that Edmond Hamilton story. Huge space opera thing set hundreds of thousands of years into the future, one of the characters is a female navigator -- incredibly progressive for a story from 1929, the only way you'd notice is by the use of female pronouns, she's just as competent and tough as the men and as effective at fighting intergalactic tentacle monsters. But when the enemy is beaten and it's time for R&R she naturally heads off to a beatuy salon, AS is ever the way of her gender.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Groke posted:

I'm a bit of the way through it now (into the 1950s; the stories are sorten chronologically) and it's great.

Almost died laughing at the end of that Edmond Hamilton story. Huge space opera thing set hundreds of thousands of years into the future, one of the characters is a female navigator -- incredibly progressive for a story from 1929, the only way you'd notice is by the use of female pronouns, she's just as competent and tough as the men and as effective at fighting intergalactic tentacle monsters. But when the enemy is beaten and it's time for R&R she naturally heads off to a beatuy salon, AS is ever the way of her gender.

This is how Theodore Sturgeon stories make me feel. Dames still love their crazy hairdryers!

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Are you saying women aren't allowed to like going to beauty salons? That military women must be butch or something?

Disgusting

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

WarLocke posted:

I googled those books because I'm with this guy, 'Harry Dresden but a woman' was enough to sell me.

Someone please tell me all the stuff about her being mated to a beast god (presumably the lion on all the covers?) isn't as awful as it sounds?

Tried the first few after reading the praise here, and while most of the thread says "Nah, it's not that bad", I found it to be pretty much unbearable. He's every terrible alpha were-beast cliche rolled into one and their whole relationship makes the series pretty dreadful. It's a shame, too, because the world is great and the lead character is solid except for the horrible 'mate of the alpha-super-lion' bullshit. Literally everything about the lion guy is bad trashy paranormal romance stuff, and if you cut him the books would be so much better(and also about 50% shorter). Returned for a refund. Blech.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

the_homemaster posted:

Are you saying women aren't allowed to like going to beauty salons? That military women must be butch or something?

Disgusting

To explain the joke, it was funny because it was presented in the author's voice as something all women naturally do even hundreds of thousands of years in the future, regardless of how much human culture might otherwise have changed. Just a one-sentence concentration of :biotruths: outta nowhere.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the_homemaster posted:

Disgusting

Actually I'm saying that

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I'm like halfway through the second Laundry book, and I'm enjoying it. However, I feel like I'm not...nerdy enough? To get half the poo poo they talk about.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I'm like halfway through the second Laundry book, and I'm enjoying it. However, I feel like I'm not...nerdy enough? To get half the poo poo they talk about.

Google stuff that confuses you and chase down references? It's not too late to nerd out!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It's not just that they make a lot of nerdy references (although being a major and varied nerd does help), it's that the tone of the first two Laundry books are almost unbearably nerdy in tone. It's not helped by the second book being the weakest in the series, in my opinion.

Anyway I'm not an ubernerd when it comes to tech stuff, so a lot of that and some of the british colloquialisms are lost on me.

Assuming you've read the first book, which is good, I'd advise sticking it out until at least the third book, Fuller Memorandum, which I think is the series's high mark (having not read the new one yet). That's when poo poo really starts to go down.

I'd probably rate the series like this:

Atrocity Archives- Good, great if only for the novelty of the whole concept
Jennifer Morgue- Bad
Fuller Memorandum- Great
Apocalypse Codex- Good, with some shades of greatness in there
Rhesus Chart- Good
Annihilation Score- OK
Nightmare Stacks- TBD

Side note: I didn't particularly care for any of the side stories except for Equoid, which is some of the best writing he's done in the series.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

A Proper Uppercut posted:

You may have already done this but if you like what Stross is doing with horror read his novella A Colder War. It doesn't have any of the humour, but hits all the same horror notes. I don't particularly like Stross, having read 3 Laundry Files books and Iron Sunrise, and tried Glasshouse, finding them at best kind of vaguely enjoyable, but A Colder War is flat out brilliant and one of the greatest cosmic horror works out there.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'd also recommend his short story "Missile Gap" which isn't as focused on horror but is really loving weird, especially when you consider the implications of what's revealed towards the end of the story.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Like much of genre fiction, his writing works better for me in shorter formats yeah.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Finished Dark Orbit last night by Carolyn Ives Gilman. Really enjoyed it. Reminded me of Blindsight in some ways (though without the constant looming cosmic horror). In particular, there's a long passage about sight and how much our brains do to 'invent' what we 'see' and how that alters our approach to how reality can be known in a fundamental way, despite sight being mostly an illusion.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm a third of the way through Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie.

It's loving awesome.

And Amazon shipped out my copy of The Obelisk Gate today.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Neurosis posted:

You may have already done this but if you like what Stross is doing with horror read his novella A Colder War. It doesn't have any of the humour, but hits all the same horror notes. I don't particularly like Stross, having read 3 Laundry Files books and Iron Sunrise, and tried Glasshouse, finding them at best kind of vaguely enjoyable, but A Colder War is flat out brilliant and one of the greatest cosmic horror works out there.

I read A Colder War a few months ago, and while good, I wouldn't say it was anything spectacular. Drip fed just enough information that I kept on reading but then never expanded on any of it.

Chronic Reagan
Oct 13, 2000

pictures of plastic men
Fun Shoe
Started reading Peter F. Hamilton's latest - 'The Abyss Beyond Dreams', which is continuing the Commonwealth / Void series. The mystery is causing me to turn pages, but I really struggled through the Void trilogy. And the characters introduced so far apparently subscribe to the 'Prometheus' school of scientific exploration. "What's this? Better stick my face in it." Pandora's Star & Judas Unchained are some of my favorite 'new space opera', but anything he's written since then hasn't really worked for me.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

e:NM

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Been reading Allen Steele's Coyote again, forgot how much I liked the series. The political stuff and stuff like "the Starship USS Jesse Helms" is hilarious to me, and it really isn't in your face past the initial opening of the first book.. And since there's a few dozen light years between earth and the planet Coyote, every time there's contact between the two planets, the government has completely flipped around again over the previous 100-200 years so you never know what to expect.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Someone read this and tell us all about it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Why the gently caress does the cover have a comma in it. And it's even in the wrong part of the name. Is his middle name "Wesley,"?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Antti posted:

Why the gently caress does the cover have a comma in it. And it's even in the wrong part of the name. Is his middle name "Wesley,"?
I am almost certain if you dig enough this is one of those Sovereign Citizen things like YOUR NAME IN ALL CAPS that somehow distinguishes you from the fake legal identity established by the federal government for you or whatever the gently caress. Probably read as something like "James Wesley, [of the family] Rawles," to distinguish him from "JAMES WESLEY RAWLES, federal government collateral for all the gold owed to China." In other words, 99.99999% chance of super duper crazy.

I'm not spending $4 on this book because it's corrupting my Amazon history enough just looking at the link, but I'm sure somebody will bite.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Antti posted:

Wikipedia posted:

On his book covers, in his signature, on his checks, in his blog, and as his legal name, he presents his name as "James Wesley, Rawles", using a comma to distinguish between his given and family names.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I love the endorsement from Bill B, ZeroGov forum member. I also love the concept of establishing a state with no taxes, no ID of any kind, and no army, in vicinity of South Sudan

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nakar posted:

I am almost certain if you dig enough this is one of those Sovereign Citizen things like YOUR NAME IN ALL CAPS that somehow distinguishes you from the fake legal identity established by the federal government for you or whatever the gently caress. Probably read as something like "James Wesley, [of the family] Rawles," to distinguish him from "JAMES WESLEY RAWLES, federal government collateral for all the gold owed to China." In other words, 99.99999% chance of super duper crazy.

I'm not spending $4 on this book because it's corrupting my Amazon history enough just looking at the link, but I'm sure somebody will bite.
it's free with kindle unlimited v:shobon:v and has a foreword by this guy whose self-bio claims he's "published in many places such as lewrockwell.com", said website has some great headlines, I haven't found one this weird since clashdaily.com

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 15, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Holy poo poo it is a SovCit thing isn't it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
definitely, these guys literally claim they're the libertarians other libertarians are too cowardly to be

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

coyo7e posted:

it's free with kindle unlimited v:shobon:v and has a foreword by this guy whose self-bio claims he's "published in many places such as lewrockwell.com", said website has some great headlines, I haven't found one this weird since clashdaily.com

Lew Rockwell's site is ultra-libertarian. Like I consider my libertarian leaning but that site is way beyond what I consider rational.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I'm tempted to get unlimited so I can read these without giving him money. Or maybe paying him US currency via Amazon would be joke's on him

Reminds me of the group trying to build their own sovereign citadel; complete with mspaint, home brew rpg style map: http://iiicitadel.com/about.html

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
They literally expect the liberals to come after them with torches and pitchforks and decided to build a castle? Holy poo poo

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

coyo7e posted:

Been reading Allen Steele's Coyote again, forgot how much I liked the series. The political stuff and stuff like "the Starship USS Jesse Helms" is hilarious to me, and it really isn't in your face past the initial opening of the first book.. And since there's a few dozen light years between earth and the planet Coyote, every time there's contact between the two planets, the government has completely flipped around again over the previous 100-200 years so you never know what to expect.

That's one of my favorite series. By the time I discovered it, the second and third book had come out. I was only halfway through Coyote before going out and buying them both.

The subsidiary novels are pretty good, too.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

FastestGunAlive posted:

Reminds me of the group trying to build their own sovereign citadel; complete with mspaint, home brew rpg style map: http://iiicitadel.com/about.html
I like how there's no hospital marked on that map, but they made sure to make space for an arms factory and firearms museum.

Certainly got their priorities straightened out there.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

tooterfish posted:

I like how there's no hospital marked on that map, but they made sure to make space for an arms factory and firearms museum.

The important thing to note is that their children will be educated not indoctrinated. :science:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tooterfish posted:

Medical care should be demand-based, and paid for via barter or gold only. Since there won't be any kind of regulatory body, any and everybody is the town doctor, all they need is a sharp knife, some clean towels and a boy scout handbook anyway.

I love that there's a Firearms Museum and a reflecting pool.. Like, Dude really wants to go look at some guns and then go outside and think on those guns good and hard for a while

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo...

quote:

About the Author
James Wesley, Rawles is a internationally recognized authority on family disaster preparedness and survivalism. He has been described by journalists as the "conscience of survivalism." Formerly a U.S. Army intelligence officer, Rawles is now a fiction and nonfiction author, as well as a rancher. Some of his his books have been translated into six languages. He is also a lecturer and the founder and Senior Editor of http://www.SurvivalBlog.com, the Internet's first blogs on preparedness that has enjoyed perennial popularity and now receives more than 320,000 unique visits per week. He and his family live at a remote self-sufficient ranch surrounded by National Forest lands that is is cryptically identified as located "somewhere west of the Rockies.

We've hit near peak crazy and that is just from the "about the author" section on the amazon page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'll... try.

I'm not promising how far I'll get... but drat it SA, I'll be your canary.

what have I done :ohdear: