Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

he didn't post it at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CelticPredator posted:

he didn't post it at all

The fact he didn't post it makes him a fraud.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Maybe an Aliens coloring book will help everyone relax?

I mean, you know if I hadn't made fun of him for it, he'd be posting about how it was already pre-ordered, and we'd get to look forward to the in-depth review when he takes scans of his colored pages and corrects any plot contradictions it might have from the movies ("This coloring book says Apone and Ripley were best friends who share everything when the movie made them passing work acquaintances at best!").

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

oldpainless posted:

The fact he didn't post it makes him a fraud.

Actually I did post it, I linked it at the end of an earlier post. :v:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 14, 2016

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jesus christ will both of you just loving shut up already with this poo poo.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Alien thread has changed. I have altered the course of things. Nothing will ever be the same again.

There is no going back to the way things were.

Maybe it was fate. Maybe it was always destined to change.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

adorable.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

Actually I did post it, I linked it at the end of an earlier post. :v:

I've noticed that you consistently deploy these toychat & images of merchandise as a way to keep others at a distance, effectively punishing them for "taking you seriously as a person." :)

Like you are not posting such as the 'Operation Aliens Board Game" because people will find it really interesting, but specifically because they won't find it interesting. It almost looks like communication, but the actual message is "leave me alone, don't talk to me. :)" Like the ideal state would be for everyone to stop communication altogether and just post mutually unread links to Amazon webstores. :)

It's an abuse of that poor happy-face emoticon.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've noticed that you consistently deploy these toychat & images of merchandise as a way to keep others at a distance, effectively punishing them for "taking you seriously as a person." :)

Like you are not posting such as the 'Operation Aliens Board Game" because people will find it really interesting, but specifically because they won't find it interesting. It almost looks like communication, but the actual message is "leave me alone, don't talk to me. :)" Like the ideal state would be for everyone to stop communication altogether and just post mutually unread links to Amazon webstores. :)

Considering the PMs I got from people asking "is that board game real, and where can I get it?", I'm going to guess you're pretty off the mark.

Stick to film analysis; psychoanalysis isn't your strong suit. ;)

Actual movie chat:

Rumors are trickling in that Alien: Covenant may tackle the topic of the Engineers' gods/creators, an idea Shaw tossed around in Prometheus. I'm really interested to see where they go with that if it pans out, almost more so than I am to see a capital-A Alien back on-screen (and Ridley Scott confirmed that that's happening).
With Ridley Scott using the Alien creature again, I'm curious to see how he handles it. It can be argued that a lot of the ties to "Alien" in Prometheus were due to (prudent, understandable) studio marketing - it's almost always easier and more profitable to work from an existing franchise because you have a pre-built audience base to buy your tickets. You could replace all overt, direct references to Alien in Prometheus with something generic and the movie would have been largely unchanged, and I think critical reactions may have been a bit more forgiving because audiences and critics wouldn't have been benchmarking it against Alien right out of the gate.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Scott plays it in Covenant, if he's going to try and somehow recapture the lightning in a bottle that made Alien scary (and I'd argue that it can be done - Alien Isolation pulled it off), or if he's going to flip expectations and change up the Alien somehow.

I'd be pretty okay with either one, really.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Those PMs aren't a conversation. They're asking you info they could get off an Amazon review site. You might as well be Google or a Wikipedia page at that point.

Also you're not discussing the movie. You're getting hyped about hoping your favorite action figure shows up in the next Alien movie.

Back to trading card chat. :)

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Prometheus 3 can then be about the Engineers' engineers' engineers, and so forth, a never-ending matryoshka doll of taller, paler, angrier creators.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

adorable.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 15, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

He's doing that to annoy you, and it's working.

Often you really deserve each other, the moment someone can't make sense of your argument or identifies that you are willfully ignoring text, out comes the petulant, imperious trolling and Zizekposting. This is tiresome even when you are right, and it certainly doesn't help that thanks to your unwillingness to talk any direction but down and a small group of cheerleaders, every thread is an inevitable countdown until it becomes about you and your posting.

No one's so dense that they need it pointed out that a coloring book with a throbbing penis-monster on the cover isn't an attempt at levity at the expense of this.

And for that matter, people complain about CD outside of CD because we have a group of posters obsessed with making it a Philosophy 101 class and actively discourage any other kind of posting. Pretty much every other entertainment-focused forum manages to get to some choice meat on the subject matter without all this other bullshit.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Also you're not discussing the movie. You're getting hyped about hoping your favorite action figure shows up in the next Alien movie

zVxTeflon posted:

Jesus christ will both of you just loving shut up already with this poo poo.

Put me on ignore if my posts annoy you so, or at least make your posts funny or something.

Now this is more like it. :cheers:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

No one's so dense that they need it pointed out that a coloring book with a throbbing penis-monster on the cover isn't an attempt at levity at the expense of this.

The longest discussion before we started talking about pre-destiny themes/terminator/ripley was about trading cards.

It wasn't levity. It was an addict joking about shooting up.

Also keep in mind it was Groovelord making GBS threads on the discussion that started this detail. No one poo poo'd on you guys when you dumped your box of trading cards on the floor and got all excited to relive the third grade.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DID SOMEONE SAY ALIEN TOYS

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

The longest discussion before we started talking about pre-destiny themes/terminator/ripley was about trading cards.

It wasn't levity. It was an addict joking about shooting up.
Nah man, it's straight up levity, that's why I've been posting literally the goofiest, most nonsensical tie-in stuff I can think of. I post that stuff because this thread is Serious Business.

We're talking about a 35 year old multimedia franchise about penis rape monsters that has been thoroughly run into the ground and crossed over with superheroes and literally killed and resurrected its main character. If you can't stop and laugh about where the franchise has been and where it's going every once in a while, then I dunno man.

CelticPredator posted:

DID SOMEONE SAY ALIEN TOYS
Just you wait until the remakes of the old 90s Kenner stuff comes out.

No seriously though your lighting and photography is really cool, do you do it as a hobby?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kinda yeah. I basically just post everything here or on NECA's twitter where they ignore me half the time.

Half the fun of buying these useless pieces of plastic is taking pictures with them using the cheapest tech of all time. I like the craftyness of it. Like that background is just styrofoam, a bread box, and some extra pieces off of a dishwasher with a bunch of cheap dollar lights awkwardly stuffed into a corner.

I could get a better set up, but I enjoy the experimenting part of it. Playing with colors, smoke, ect.

bonus: catte

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
No gently caress you none of this is text

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

If you can't stop and laugh about where the franchise has been and where it's going every once in a while, then I dunno man.

Again, no one's saying you can't. Just because I call you an empty http://lmgtfy.com poster doesn't mean you can't keep posting links to Spaceballs Aliens the breakfast cereal, but on the same hand when some niceguy.txt goon starts trying to poo poo on the conversation, where are the posts condemning that? There aren't any because it's become a meme to poo poo on anything other than "I liked when my favorite character showed up" or "here are my critical opinions on the special fx of the movie" lines of thinking.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 15, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Again, no one's saying you can't. Just because I call you an empty http://lmgtfy.com poster doesn't mean you can't keep posting links to Spaceballs Aliens the breakfast cereal, but on the same hand when some niceguy.txt goon starts trying to poo poo on the conversation, where are the posts condemning that? There aren't any because it's become a meme to poo poo on anything other than "I liked when my favorite character showed up" or "here are my critical opinions on the special fx of the movie" lines of thinking.
Did you miss the part where I literally condemned what Groovelord was saying and outright supported and encouraged you and SMG's conversation?

We can have both silly toychat and deep meditations about the art of film in this thread, and again, I actively encourage it, even if I don't always personally engage in it.

But seriously dawg, when I post things like my thoughts about what Covenant might bring to the table, and you instantly poo poo all over it as me trying to talk about action figures or whatever (like lolwut?), you aren't helping this thread either. You don't get to complain about one person making GBS threads on your conversation when you yourself actively shitpost about conversations no one is even having, like some sort of crazy person reading posts that only you can see.
It's clear you've got a huge problem with me and my posts, please put me on ignore so you don't have to see them rather than taking potshots at me every chance you get. Like I cannot figure out what you're trying to accomplish, and it just makes you come across as a belligerent rear end in a top hat incapable of contributing to a conversation.

It's a big thread and there's plenty of room for multiple conversations at once. If you want to talk about film theory and everything, please, post about it. Nobody here is going to stop you or make fun of you for it.
We just want you to extend the same courtesy, is all. :)

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
abesimpsonstripclub.gif

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

I liked when Apone said "Look into my eye" and he was holding his eyelid open with his middle finger, Apone is my favourite Aliens marine.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I wish Apone had more screen time.

Not just in Aliens either, I mean in every movie. Steel Magnolias. Silence of the Lambs. Casablanca. The Mothman Prophecies. Apone has a scene in all of them.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

ruddiger posted:

Those PMs aren't a conversation. They're asking you info they could get off an Amazon review site. You might as well be Google or a Wikipedia page at that point.

Also you're not discussing the movie. You're getting hyped about hoping your favorite action figure shows up in the next Alien movie.

Back to trading card chat. :)

I wasn't one of the "where did you get it," I was one of the "what do you think of it" as in "I am interested in what you, a giant fan of the franchise and fellow appreciator of the aborted Operation: Aliens marketing push, think of that very weird game."

Xeno is a genuinely nice guy and a legit expert in his wacky little area of interest which is probably why people in CD find him so threatening.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

oldpainless posted:

I wish Apone had more screen time.

Not just in Aliens either, I mean in every movie. Steel Magnolias. Silence of the Lambs. Casablanca. The Mothman Prophecies. Apone has a scene in all of them.
Now you're got me hoping that some fan with more free time than me can do a compilation video of Apone inserted into a hundred random movies. Edit it together like one of those "flat earth" conspiracy-theory YouTube videos, complete with a totally insane sounding narrator who genuinely seems to believe what he's saying.

"And here he is again! And AGAIN! And always with the middle finger to his eye... what does it mean, what does it mean? How has no one caught this before, wake up SHEEPLE."

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Ridley Scott is a weird director. Does he have a style? The Coen Brothers have a style, PT Anderson has a style, the Equilibrium guy has an awful but distinctive style. Ridley Scott made some of the most iconic movies in science fiction but I don't know what. Ridley Scott movie looks like. Maybe that's a cool and good thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ridley Scott jumps between two styles. One is very much in love with the mechanical and texture. That style tends to be more locked down. Less hand held, more dollies, stick shots, ect. Very well composed.
Then he has a handheld, gritty as gently caress style where it's very much run and gun. The shots feel looser, less locked down.

It's not quite as easy to point out as say, Sam Raimi or the Coen's, but it's there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDllUiq92I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1EeYB8Aog0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcic4JRu7Nw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YTIMGmZUr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoAzpa1x7jU

VS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCCp3z7Zz4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kG0wdacJb0

After looking I guess there's one more that's in the middle, where it's filled with weird editing tricks similar to Tony, but not quite as intense.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

General Battuta posted:

Ridley Scott is a weird director. Does he have a style? The Coen Brothers have a style, PT Anderson has a style, the Equilibrium guy has an awful but distinctive style. Ridley Scott made some of the most iconic movies in science fiction but I don't know what. Ridley Scott movie looks like. Maybe that's a cool and good thing.
This topic came up at one point in the Prometheus thread, and someone else had a good observation that he's a good "chameleon director": he can blend and change his style to match the times or genre, or to evoke a particular emotion (the chaotic handheld opening battle from 'Gladiator' vs, well, all the other action scenes in 'Gladiator', for example). 'Alien' (and to a large degree, Blade Runner) has a very tactile feel that's reminiscent of other similar 1970s sci-fi movies like Star Wars, Silent Running, The Black Hole, Logan's Run, Dark Star, etc. Meanwhile, 'Prometheus' has a very modern, "enhanced by CGI" feel that contemporary sci-fi movies tend to exhibit, like The Avengers. The Martian still sits weird with me because it almost feels more like a smaller-scope 'Interstellar', and it's certainly got a different feel than Prometheus or Alien do.

His brother's style seemed to come into its own later in his career, there's a definite difference between, say, 'The Last Boy Scout' and 'Top Gun' than there is with, well, any movie he made starring Denzel Washington (to use a wide brush).

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

He had more of a set visual style back in the day - Black Rain looks more like Alien and Blade Runner than it does his more recent movies, despite not being sci-fi.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

you'd be correct to say his style has evolved alongside cinema.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

General Battuta posted:

Ridley Scott is a weird director. Does he have a style? The Coen Brothers have a style, PT Anderson has a style, the Equilibrium guy has an awful but distinctive style. Ridley Scott made some of the most iconic movies in science fiction but I don't know what [a] Ridley Scott movie looks like. Maybe that's a cool and good thing.

His style is highly pictorial. Monochromatic colour schemes (often achieved through color timing), high-contrast lighting with rich shadow detail, emphasis of backlighting, motivated/diegetic light sources, atmospheric effects (smoke, fog, dust, and other particles), scenes obscured by reflective glass or lens flare, angular compositions, highly decentered compositions.... His films also tend to employ relatively fast, rhythmic cutting (especially between close-ups and wide shots). Lots of extreme close-ups. Ornate and intricate set design.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

And for that matter, people complain about CD outside of CD because we have a group of posters obsessed with making it a Philosophy 101 class and actively discourage any other kind of posting. Pretty much every other entertainment-focused forum manages to get to some choice meat on the subject matter without all this other bullshit.

I did not say anything about philosophy. I did not say anything against toychat either.

I said that toychat should not be abused - deployed to prevent discussion. It is certainly possible to write something interesting about the "Operation Aliens Board Game" (for example, how game mechanics generate a narrative that may or may not resemble that of the film(s) - that should be easy). But that does not happen, because toychat is deployed to prevent discussion. That is the form that toychat takes.

I have changed things. You are reacting to the changes I have made. But there is no stopping it now. There is no going back.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Excellent thoughts, thank you. I'd read the chameleon director post - but I think what really sticks with me are the atmospheric and light effects SMG points out. I guess when I think of Scott I think of the shots in Alien and Blade Runner that fill the screen with light behind fans or other oscillating sources. Prometheus has a motif of people passing through or emerging from holograms. It's like he's interested in what obscures gaze.

I wonder if he has some kind of industry record for filming Spacesuit Acting.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Celtic it is 5 AM but I promise to click on all those tomorrow!

Okay, veering into the intersection between toychat and cinematography: long before I ever saw and felt let down by Alien Resurrection, I played a lot of Aliens vs Predator 2. That game had a multiplayer map called "Auriga", set on the ship from Resurrection. I remember it being far more golden and oddly lit than the other maps, like a strange collusion of clinical brutalist and misty jungle. It really leapt out of the map lineup.

I remember wondering where it came from, and whether it was 'futuristic' - a map from some kind of phantasmagorial post-movies reality in which human existence and architecture had been permanently altered, made misty and organic like the underbelly of the derelict where Kane found the eggs. Like the people who built it no longer recognized a distinction between the technological and the biohorrific.

It was pretty weird and I'm sure if I looked it up it'd disappoint me. Game owned though.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

The Alien thread has changed. I have altered the course of things. Nothing will ever be the same again.

There is no going back to the way things were.

"I have altered the thread. Pray I do not alter it further."

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

His style is highly pictorial. Monochromatic colour schemes (often achieved through color timing), high-contrast lighting with rich shadow detail, emphasis of backlighting, motivated/diegetic light sources, atmospheric effects (smoke, fog, dust, and other particles), scenes obscured by reflective glass or lens flare, angular compositions, highly decentered compositions.... His films also tend to employ relatively fast, rhythmic cutting (especially between close-ups and wide shots). Lots of extreme close-ups. Ornate and intricate set design.
This is a good and interesting post. However, when I read that list of traits and compare it against Scott's filmography, I can only really match up certain traits to certain films, and then there's others that don't seem to fit it at all. Like maybe it's just been a long time since I watched them, but I don't remember a lot of atmospheric effects, reflective glass/lens flare, or ornate set design in movies like 'Body of Lies', 'American Gangster', 'Matchstick Men', 'Hannibal', or 'A Good Year'.
Then again I'd argue they're the ones that feel the least like "a Ridley Scott movie", so you could say that supports your point.

I said that toychat should not be abused - deployed to prevent discussion. It is certainly possible to write something interesting about the "Operation Aliens Board Game" (for example, how game mechanics generate a narrative that may or may not resemble that of the film(s) - that should be easy). But that does not happen, because toychat is deployed to prevent discussion. That is the form that toychat takes.
No, toychat sometimes takes a form of discussion you personally don't like; there's an important distinction there.

But if you want to talk about gameplay mechanics creating/not creating a narrative like the film, a better example to use is the Alien boardgame from 1979.
That link should take you directly to the instructions for the game, and here is another brief breakdown of the rules.
Now *I* know how the game does/doesn't recreate the film, and I actually posted about that exact thing much earlier in the thread, so I want to see what *your* thoughts on it are - I'll expand on your thoughts after you make them. :)

As for "Operation: Aliens", I've never played it (no, seriously). But if you genuinely wanted to talk about its gameplay mechanics compared to 'Aliens', I found a post that breaks the rules down enough where I could speak to that.

Alternately if you wanted to continue on philosophychat, another interesting question is why does the gameplay differ from the movie (and not just "because it's a different medium").

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've always said Ridley Scott is the King of the Journeyman Directors, which you can take as an insult or not depending on how you feel about it.

I hadn't liked anything he had done in many years but The Martian blindsided me by being really good.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

General Battuta posted:

Excellent thoughts, thank you. I'd read the chameleon director post - but I think what really sticks with me are the atmospheric and light effects SMG points out. I guess when I think of Scott I think of the shots in Alien and Blade Runner that fill the screen with light behind fans or other oscillating sources. Prometheus has a motif of people passing through or emerging from holograms. It's like he's interested in what obscures gaze.

I don't buy the chameleon thing. It's much more accurate to say that Scott is so influential that other films have become increasingly Scott-like. He actually hasn't changed his style enormously over the course of his career:

The top image is of Matt Damon eating a potato in The Martian, and the bottom is from Blade Runner. The lighting and composition are near-identical.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I agree with SMG, at least as much as I can without actually being able to explain why. There's something about the way Scott lights a scene that for me is very identifiable.

Would anyone else agree that Michael Bay was influenced by Scott? A few of his movies have had a similar feel, but again, I don't have the expertise to really explain why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

I agree with SMG, at least as much as I can without actually being able to explain why. There's something about the way Scott lights a scene that for me is very identifiable.

Would anyone else agree that Michael Bay was influenced by Scott? A few of his movies have had a similar feel, but again, I don't have the expertise to really explain why.

As I think about it, Bay's movies seem more similar to Tony Scott than Ridley; a lot of use of borderline blown-out, "hyper-real" lighting and contrast, frenetic editing to convey action.