Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

The Schwa posted:

so you're the problem

its true sorry about your houses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

fartmanteau posted:

its true sorry about your houses

hard to be mad about the housing crisis from over here tbh

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

as a homeowner/stupid peace of poo poo, what crisis?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

As a homeowner in a region without crazy house price inflation it is a problem.

Seriously more should be done to balance the country and encourage some economic activity in the regions. But that would require actual leadership and work so it will never happen.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I love my affordable home and copious amounts of land

Shame there are not many cool jobs around here but w/e

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, my job is based in Auckland and is unlikely as hell to shift, except maybe from Ellerslie to Penrose.

I wish it'd shift to Napier or something, like my dad's did :(

Hell, even Wellington would be okay. At least I could grab an apartment with enough happening around it that I could get laid once in a while.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Ultra fast broadband to the regions will change everything :iamafag:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I could probably move my job to Wellington but then I'd be living in loving Wellington.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Wellington owns

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah I fail to see a problem with that. I can't imagine living anywhere else in NZ at this point in my life, maaaaybe Chch but only because I have a lot of friends and family there. Auckland sucks and anywhere else would be too small for my liking.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Auckland is actually real cool and it's even better now that it's making old people sad about owning land.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah, my job is based in Auckland and is unlikely as hell to shift, except maybe from Ellerslie to Penrose.

:smith::hf::smith:
Ellerslie is a bit poo poo. It's one redeeming feature is that it's only 45 minutes bus ride from my house rather than the 80+ that it took to get to Queen Street.

Oh, and there are decent pies to help with my long-term suicide-by-cholesterol attempt.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, it's about 40 mins by train from Papatoetoe - I usually just take my own lunch though.

At least I have VDSL here - War Thunder err day.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I do a 10 minute commute every day. It rules.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Wellington would own if the nightlife wasn't 90% based around dumb vomiting 18 year olds, boring 30-something suits talking about IPAs, and drunk bogans from Masterton having a night out in the 'big smoke'.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Wellington would own if the nightlife wasn't 90% based around dumb vomiting 18 year olds, boring 30-something suits talking about IPAs, and drunk bogans from Masterton having a night out in the 'big smoke'.

Who else is there in this country?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

El Pollo Blanco posted:

What other type of nightlife is there?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Dancing, I presume.

I can't dance for poo poo, though. No co-ordination.

I wouldn't mind poker clubs where you gamble for chump change, drink medium whiskey and shoot the poo poo.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Did someone mention craft beer??

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

El Pollo Blanco posted:

try getting off Courtenay, my dude

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

I wouldn't mind poker clubs where you gamble for chump change, drink medium whiskey and shoot the poo poo.
I think that's called your garage.

Not that I would know about owning one.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I enjoyed my time in wellington. It was fun. I liked attending those football matches playef by yhe team that was owned by that bankrupt dude who dealt all the blow allegedly

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

The Schwa posted:

try getting off Courtenay, my dude

I still have to experience Courtenay place to get on or off Courtenay place

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

But I much prefer my life in the country. 20 minute drive to work 30km away in the city. An acceptable job. Good school for the kids. Quiet. Anonymous. Copper based Adsl. No cellphone coverage. Obly the ACT and green party can be bothered to pester you during election season cos they are that desperate for the party vote. It's my kiwi dream.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

anyone who buys coke in Wellington is an idiot with more money than sense

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Alright so I guess Ill get on the ground floor of this nonsense:

https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/bills-and-laws/bills-proposed-laws/document/00DBHOH_BILL69715_1/new-zealand-intelligence-and-security-bill
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill/government/2016/0158/latest/DLM6920823.html?src=qs

What feels like a rolling ball of mud over the last 4-5 years is now culminating in The One True piece of legislation to rule it all- a NZ Intelligence and Security Bill that will combine a lot of functions and officially expand the GCSB's function to gather intelligence on New Zealander's albeit with a "Triple-lock" warrant of three people directly appointed by/in the favour of the Prime Minister.

Despite being adamant about the big picture of these issues, namely the expansion of New Zealand's surveillance network and its inter-connectedness to intelligence sharing and other global relationships (Read: The USA can step back a little please) I am just as loving exhausted of tinfoil and fact-less paranoia about this topic as anyone else.

I do plan to write a detailed submission to the select committee but not sure how much I will try to organise/debate this time around

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 15, 2016

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Great it's another security bill.

If you don't like security bills then I guess you just don't like freedom

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Jacobin posted:

Despite being adamant about the big picture of these issues, namely the expansion of New Zealand's surveillance network and its inter-connectedness to intelligence sharing and other global relationships (Read: The USA can step back a little please) I am just as loving exhausted of tinfoil and fact-less paranoia about this topic as anyone else.
It's not really tinfoil and fact-less paranoia to describe the GCSB as a monster leashed only by the prime minister that has routinely broken national laws and has been rewarded for doing so by having restraints removed and more cash poured into it.

It's a fact that it has provided its spy services to the police so that police can circumvent restrictions on their activities. It's a fact that it has used Five-Eyes connections to obtain material on New Zealanders that it is illegal for it gather itself. It's a fact that it has done this while supposedly under direct supervision by the Prime Minister, although of course he isn't involved in any of it but he sure is trustworthy to continue supervising and appointing its leaders. It's a fact that when the Prime Minister justified its existence by dozens of imminent terrorist threats it was directly monitoring there wasn't a single conviction resulting out of that monitoring.

It's a fact that it's already been used to attack the New Zealand enemies of a foreign dictatorship, it's a simple conclusion that expanding its powers and reducing its oversight (such as it is to begin with) will lead to it being used to attack the New Zealand enemies of local government.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Ghostlight posted:

It's not really tinfoil and fact-less paranoia to describe the GCSB as a monster leashed only by the prime minister that has routinely broken national laws and has been rewarded for doing so by having restraints removed and more cash poured into it.

It's a fact that it has provided its spy services to the police so that police can circumvent restrictions on their activities. It's a fact that it has used Five-Eyes connections to obtain material on New Zealanders that it is illegal for it gather itself. It's a fact that it has done this while supposedly under direct supervision by the Prime Minister, although of course he isn't involved in any of it but he sure is trustworthy to continue supervising and appointing its leaders. It's a fact that when the Prime Minister justified its existence by dozens of imminent terrorist threats it was directly monitoring there wasn't a single conviction resulting out of that monitoring.

It's a fact that it's already been used to attack the New Zealand enemies of a foreign dictatorship, it's a simple conclusion that expanding its powers and reducing its oversight (such as it is to begin with) will lead to it being used to attack the New Zealand enemies of local government.

In particular technical legal terms, I am concerned about this solidified law will overlap with the TICSA regulations on network operators i.e. your phone and internet providers, service providers for all kinds of things, Universities. This Bill and TICSA do not have the same definitions of National Security for one thing.

As it is I do not think there is really any practical ability for some technical person at an ISP or otherwise to really object or resist any measures they are instructed to do. I know security agencies are supposed to be secretive to most all but it becomes really bad when there really isn't any sort of barriers or pushback available to civilian entities caught up their activities.

When a civilian sector of society is totally expected to become a part of the states functioning you know, call it what you want yes thats not a good ideological outlook/doesn't have such great history. Specifically I mean instead of requiring issuing of warrants to access specific things from network operators, a class of person called a network operator is defined and their license to *be an operator* is dependent upon continuous compliance.

So yeah triple warrants may be needed but there is really less and less protection outside of those systems

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 15, 2016

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh look, the GCSB are gonna be immune to prosecution. This will not cause problems at all.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
Meanwhile in parliament

Stolen from Jacinda Ardern's FB

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I am just so fatigued with all this bullshit over the last few years. I don't really have any hope that any party can or will undo any of it, or that my supposed peers give a gently caress.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My takeaway on all of this is that all areas of NZ are terrible

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

klen dool posted:

I am just so fatigued with all this bullshit over the last few years. I don't really have any hope that any party can or will undo any of it, or that my supposed peers give a gently caress.

I thought we were your peers.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

We here, in Hawkes bay, have bacteria in the town supply.

Now I can smugly sit atop of my 120,000 litres of rain water :smugmrgw:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

So the kids in HNHS will be drinking poo poo alongside speaking it. Guess it was bound to compound sooner or later.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

We here, in Hawkes bay, have bacteria in the town supply.

Now I can smugly sit atop of my 120,000 litres of rain water :smugmrgw:

I'm going to be in the HB in a few weeks, should I avoid the tap water?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
It's best to avoid Hawke's Bay in general.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Just drink wine and enjoy the poker men hunting in the fabulous Hawkes Bay! Ft. a proposed dam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of poker men,

Do any of you have issues with the pokemon thing going on?

• Locked thread