Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I'm not sure why people are complaining so much about Skype for Business and Outlook. They work pretty damned well for large organizations; I can contact virtually anyone in a large company easily, check their schedules, find out their contact info, and find out who they work for. It's really useful and fairly intuitive.

What exactly do other utilities bring to the table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm not sure why people are complaining so much about Skype for Business and Outlook. They work pretty damned well for large organizations; I can contact virtually anyone in a large company easily, check their schedules, find out their contact info, and find out who they work for. It's really useful and fairly intuitive.

What exactly do other utilities bring to the table?

In my previous company we used Lync, and so far that's the only point of reference I have for inter company messaging. I haven't tried the newer version, Skype for Business.

Honestly, I thought it was pretty OK. I used it to ask questions from coworkers in other departments, and I preferred it to phone calls since I could just take my time searching for info, pasting it verbatim, etc.

I never tried the voice and video parts of the software, so if those are terrible I wouldn't know, but it seemed to work well as a simple messaging service.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Skype for Business is fine, I think everyone was just complaining because of the stupid name and because that's at least the third time it's renamed in recent times.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lync and Skype for Business are the sort of tools that are the reason Microsoft dominates office and government software in the same way Cisco dominates network switching gear: Boring but rock solid once configured, all while being heavily supported

From what I gather they can be a bit of a pain to set up but there is an army of people out there trained and certified to do it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pretty much, people tend to forget that Microsoft (amidst failures such as Bing, Kinect and Windows 8) still is the king of business side solutions of many kinds.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
They're one of the only companies willing to deal with the neverending shitshow of backwards compatibility. Apple won't even make Pages '14 open poo poo from Pages '09.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

MiddleOne posted:

Pretty much, people tend to forget that Microsoft (amidst failures such as Bing, Kinect and Windows 8) still is the king of business side solutions of many kinds.

However, because revenue must forever grow exponentially, Microsoft continues to try and fail (with things such as Bing, Kinect and Windows 8) to be a hip consumer brand that people like, in a market that's already somewhat saturated and full of people with pre-existing bad views on Microsoft.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

blowfish posted:

However, because revenue must forever grow exponentially, Microsoft continues to try and fail (with things such as Bing, Kinect and Windows 8) to be a hip consumer brand that people like, in a market that's already somewhat saturated and full of people with pre-existing bad views on Microsoft.

But people like Apple! They just need to copy some of the things Apple do and everyone will love Microsoft again!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

blowfish posted:

They should just go full Nestle/Pepsico and develop so many subsidiary brands that no one on earth has any chance of being aware of what actually is a product made by Microsoft anymore.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

But people like Apple! They just need to copy some of the things Apple do and everyone will love Microsoft again!

Hello, I'm a Mac.

Hello, I'm a PC.

*mac slips on banana peel*

MiddleOne posted:

They should just go full Nestle/Pepsico and develop so many subsidiary brands that no one on earth has any chance of being aware of what actually is a product made by Microsoft anymore.

That would be a good strategy, but some dumb exec will go apeshit about this dilution of ~brand identity~

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

blowfish posted:

That would be a good strategy, but some dumb exec will go apeshit about this dilution of ~brand identity~

https://wheany.com/ms-branding/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blowfish posted:

I don't think it's about endless growth, it's that diversification is never a bad strategy, especially when you have as much capital as they do.

When you just stick to what you're dominant in, you get Sears. No one thought they would ever be overtaken either.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

computer parts posted:

I don't think it's about endless growth, it's that diversification is never a bad strategy, especially when you have as much capital as they do.

When you just stick to what you're dominant in, you get Sears. No one thought they would ever be overtaken either.

Sears was suicide by libertarianism though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

computer parts posted:

You'd think so but that hasn't stopped Pepsico shareholders from fighting for years over whether to split the company's many arms. (despite them all being massively profitable) Finance is all about MMO-nerd levels of min-maxing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

It's not the best example, but probably the most recent one. Circuit City is another example because it failed to diversify, while Best Buy got in appliances and they're still hanging on somehow (albeit circling the drain because it's not quite enough).

Most likely, Enterprise customers will continue to heavily rely on Microsoft products. There is a significant possibility that one day they will not, and if that happens in even a minor aspect (e.g., moving off of Microsoft server products) it could be very devastating to the future of the company. Better to invest some money now, and even if it's done incompetently it's still a better use than just sitting in a bank.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 15, 2016

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

computer parts posted:

Circuit City is another example because it failed to diversify

But Circuit City did diversify and they're still around in the (then revolutionary) form of CarMax. For those of us old enough, you ever wonder what happened to Woolworths? Been to a Foot Locker store recently?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

hobbesmaster posted:

Sears was already on the downslope before he became CEO though, he just accelerated it to the grave.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EnergizerFellow posted:

But Circuit City did diversify and they're still around in the (then revolutionary) form of CarMax. For those of us old enough, you ever wonder what happened to Woolworths? Been to a Foot Locker store recently?
I did not know this and my mind is blown.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

But as middleone suggested diversifying into brands other than Microsoft and Windows would be better.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

blowfish posted:

But as middleone suggested diversifying into brands other than Microsoft and Windows would be better.

Heard of Azure?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bird in a Blender posted:

Sears was already on the downslope before he became CEO though, he just accelerated it to the grave.

here's sears.txt on how exactly they hosed up before libertarian lord of the flies happened

quote:

Sears was started in the 1890's as a mail order business to compete against local general stores (think of all those westerns with "General Store" on one of the buildings - they were Sears competition). The guys Sears worked on railroads, and he saw all the middlemen tacking on markup as products moved west in the distribution chain until they go to the stores.

So he started a catalog, the famous Sears catalog in 1893. It was 300 pages, and had everything. Now think about this for a second. In 1893, you had a mail order catalog that sold pretty much everything that was for sale in 1893 - machinery, bikes, toys, dry goods, etc. Does this sound like another business you know?

So every year the catalog comes out, and after a few decades it becomes an American institution. For much of the population, the Sears catalog includes a decent quality, low cost version of every mass market nonperishable consumer product in the United States that wasn't a car (they did sell those at one point very early on. They also sold mobile homes too, up to the 1940's).

You could pick anything from the catalog, mail in your order with a check, and in a few days/weeks you'd get it. If you didn't like it, for any reason, Sears had a "satisfaction guaranteed" policy that you could return it at anytime for a full refund.

Now pay attention, because here's where it gets good.

In 1931, Sears starts an insurance company - Allstate. It buys financial investment firm Dean Witter and real estate broker Coldwell Banker in 1981. In 1984 it starts a joint venture with IBM called Prodigy, an online computer service, sort of a prototype AOL. In 1985, Sears launches a new major credit card, the Discover card. For the next eight years, the only credit card you can use at Sears is Discover.

At this time, the early 80's Sears is the largest retailer in the U.S.

By 1993, the 100th anniversary of the Sears Catalog, Sears had built up considerable goodwill in the mind of consumers. They weren't the lowest price, but they had what you needed at good prices and the service was second to none. They had real estate, insurance, financial planning, and all at good prices with top customer service.

This is 1993. In quite possibly the greatest example of corporate shortsightedness, Sears shut down it's mail-order business in a cost cutting measure. It spins off Allstate that same year, and soon dumps Dean Witter and Coldwell Banker.

In 1993, Sears had the most extensive and sophisticated mail-order retail operation on the planet and they closed it.

Two years later, Amazon.com launched, and was soon selling everything that sears sold through it's catalog. By the late-90's Walmart's push of low-cost China imports killed Sears retailing. Online banking takes off. Credit card use surges as mail order and retail purchases are shifted online.

Sears had its own computer network in 1993. They had access to IBM, they should have understood the power of the internet. All they had to do was shift the catalog online instead of killing it off, promising in store returns and the same Sears satisfaction guaranteed. Discover could have been the credit card of choice for security and protection online. Dean Witter could have been what Schwab, E-Trade and Ameritrade became. Back in the mid-late 90s when many people were hesitant to use credit cards online, Sears could have been a familiar face online.

Sears could have used the Catalog to create searscatalog.com or wishbook.com and owned online retailing, owned amazon's business, owned online brokerage and banking, but they blew their chances to save a few bucks in 1993. They could have made huge profits in the early 2000s real estate boom by leveraging that success with their real estate arm (imagine if Amazon sold houses).

By my estimates, Sears could have spent about $200 million in 1994-1996 to develop and promote retailing and financial services online, and they'd be reaping billions.

Sears could still be a huge American company today, instead of a historical footnote.

The lesson - arrogance and lack of vision. I look forward to the day in a few years when we can look back at the RIAA as a similar case study in lethargy, greed, and arrogance.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
drat you, beat me to Pastabagel.txt :argh:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Lync is good. Only problem is people who can't wait for an answer by email and keep sending me messages while i'm in a meeting.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

the randroid dismantling sears is hilarious but what really killed sears is the same thing that's killing most other department stores, nobody under age 40 shops at department stores anymore since it's easier to buy individual things when you want them off the internet rather than buying multiple things you want all in one efficient shopping trip

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here's sears.txt on how exactly they hosed up before libertarian lord of the flies happened

this isn't true though, sears always had online shopping. they were just wedded to a brick and mortar business model that emphasized in-store pickup. you can't really blame sears for not radically changing tack and becoming an online only entity like amazon or really tripling down on logistics like wal mart. most big american retail chains are in decline for reasons very similar to sears - failure to capture a young demographic and the general decline of in-person shopping

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 15, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

Prodigy, Discover Card, Allstate, Coldwell Banker, etc?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I really should refresh after going to lunch

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this isn't true though, sears always had online shopping. they were just wedded to a brick and mortar business model that emphasized in-store pickup. you can't really blame sears for not radically changing tack and becoming an online only entity like amazon or really tripling down on logistics like wal mart. most big american retail chains are in decline for reasons very similar to sears - failure to capture a young demographic and the general decline of in-person shopping

You miss the underlining irony in that Sears was Amazon literally 100 years before Amazon.

It is just an amusing footnote at this point of course.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Lync is good. Only problem is people who can't wait for an answer by email and keep sending me messages while i'm in a meeting.

Yes except that Lync actually sucks.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

You miss the underlining irony in that Sears was Amazon literally 100 years before Amazon.

thats not irony? they were just a giagantic general retailer who thrived on mail order. only recently has amazon started reselling various home goods, for the longest time amazon was just a bookseller

sears didn't fail for any extra special reason. retailers come and go based on shifts in buying patterns and technology. when was the last time you or anyone you know shopped at woolworths (aka foot locker)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

blugu64 posted:

Yes except that Lync actually sucks.

How, exactly? IM and videoconferencing works like you expect it to, screen sharing is effortless and let's you pass control easily, status indicators are automatically pulled from Exchange (but user-over-rideable), conversations save to Exchange if you want them to, and it integrates well with Cisco's IP telephone systems as well as webex. The interface is old but all that means is that you don't have to spend any time training people how to use it.

My only complaint about it is that it has emoticons which auto fill if you type in certain character combinations and it is really annoying having (b) turn into a beer when I'm trying to reference a subsection of a law.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thats not irony? they were just a giagantic general retailer who thrived on mail order.

Sears invented mail order. It was a completely different way of shopping that radically changed the way americans shopped.

Just like Amazon invented web shopping. It was a completely different way of shopping that radically changed the way americans shopped.

*I think neither were technically the first, but just like "amazon" is synonymous with internet shopping, the sears catalog was synonymous with mail order shopping.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Call me when I can order a house with prime shipping :colbert:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

blugu64 posted:

Call me when I can order a house with prime shipping :colbert:

Gingerbread or otherwise?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It was delivered a day late so I complained and got $5 in account credit. Going right to the mortgage!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

Sears invented mail order. It was a completely different way of shopping that radically changed the way americans shopped.

Just like Amazon invented web shopping. It was a completely different way of shopping that radically changed the way americans shopped.

*I think neither were technically the first, but just like "amazon" is synonymous with internet shopping, the sears catalog was synonymous with mail order shopping.

correct, sears didn't invent mail order, amazon didn't invent web shopping. they're just the biggest names, respectively. it's still not irony, it would be irony if sears invested heavily in web shopping to the point of damaging their business only to be defeated by amazon. as is, sears has the same problem that best buy, macy's, kmart, etc. so on have - people just aren't going to stores as much anymore, especially not in the middle of the market. you either have high end luxury(ish) brands or cheapo generic retailers like wal mart. great big general department stores aren't in fashion anymore unless you can compete on price

sears biggest problem isnt even their insane bad CEO, even if sears had a great CEO they'd still be declining because hardly anyone goes to department stores to get bedsheets, a new washer, some clothes for the kids, auto parts, and family reunion pictures all in the same trip in tyool 2016.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

computer parts posted:

It's not the best example, but probably the most recent one. Circuit City is another example because it failed to diversify, while Best Buy got in appliances and they're still hanging on somehow (albeit circling the drain because it's not quite enough).

Most likely, Enterprise customers will continue to heavily rely on Microsoft products. There is a significant possibility that one day they will not, and if that happens in even a minor aspect (e.g., moving off of Microsoft server products) it could be very devastating to the future of the company. Better to invest some money now, and even if it's done incompetently it's still a better use than just sitting in a bank.

Companies don't live forever. Instead of making extremely large investments to try to break into businesses they don't understand, Microsoft should consider just issuing dividends to shareholders. Of course, Wall Street would rather see big moves and unsustainable growth rather than a company making a steady, boring profit.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

hobbesmaster posted:

What I'd like to know is, what's this current "suicide by libertarianism" Sears is going through. That seems like a better story for this thread...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e_angst posted:

What I'd like to know is, what's this current "suicide by libertarianism" Sears is going through. That seems like a better story for this thread...

Its "old news" by now, but heres the good slate story that sums it all up.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

e_angst posted:

an ayn rand fanboy leveraged a buyout of kmart, which he then used to buy sears, and he merged the two companies. he then imposed a policy where all the sears department heads have to compete internally for resources (!) leading to a breakdown of interdepartmental teamwork within the same stores which is a super bad strategy when you're already facing tough competition and falling sales. he also forced the adoption of an in-house social network which he uses to pick fights anonymously with entry level sales clerks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

correct, sears didn't invent mail order, amazon didn't invent web shopping. they're just the biggest names, respectively. it's still not irony, it would be irony if sears invested heavily in web shopping to the point of damaging their business only to be defeated by amazon. as is, sears has the same problem that best buy, macy's, kmart, etc. so on have - people just aren't going to stores as much anymore, especially not in the middle of the market. you either have high end luxury(ish) brands or cheapo generic retailers like wal mart. great big general department stores aren't in fashion anymore unless you can compete on price

sears biggest problem isnt even their insane bad CEO, even if sears had a great CEO they'd still be declining because hardly anyone goes to department stores to get bedsheets, a new washer, some clothes for the kids, auto parts, and family reunion pictures all in the same trip in tyool 2016.

Thanks for defending ironys honor I appreciate it