Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Humphreys posted:

Oh, the two copies I have say 4:3 and 16:9 on alternate sides. Both copies however are opposite on which side. They don't say 'this side up' though.

Same but with other DVDs, but then coincidentally in another thread someone linked a YouTube video for one particular review, and the review right after it had a DVD that did it properly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxpPf-smO4&feature=youtu.be&t=10m43s I don't know what the hell Penny Serenade is but it's "this side up" for it :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

A childhood relic I'm beginning to feel like I'll never see again is the collection of edutainment games they had on the computers at my primary school. They were a bunch of Acorns, not sure what model, running RISC OS I guess? The ones that stick out in my mind are Arcventure, which was half archaeology dig sim and half isometric time travel adventure kinda stuff; an Around The World In 80 Days game that worked like a CYOA mixed in with puzzles based around maths and general knowledge; another called Aztec (?) that functioned similarly but was all about being thrown back in time in central America and looking for a way back to the future; and this other science themed one where you arrive on an empty space station and have to figure out what's been going on. Other than Arcventure, which I feel like I've mentioned on SA before, there's very little information on them online so I guess they had a limited release, like they were only sold directly to school or something? Every now and then I trawl romsites looking for some sign of them and I always come up short :(

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I looked for a hotel management sim called "Parkside Hotel" for years. My computer class in junior high school had it and we played it every day. I cannot find even a screen shot of it online, so I know your pain.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Humphreys posted:

Oh, the two copies I have say 4:3 and 16:9 on alternate sides. Both copies however are opposite on which side. They don't say 'this side up' though.

I have the Exorcist on DVD and one side is the theatrical cut and the other is the loving horrible 'Version You've Never Seen'. I 'm an idiot and can never remember which side is meant to be up (IIRC you put the label of the one you want facing down). More than once I was tricked and not realised I was watching the poo poo version until later, but now I remember that there's a shot of the house at the beginning that only appears on the poo poo version, so I can swap over quickly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just write on the lovely side with a sharpie so you know which one not to watch.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Just write on the lovely side with a sharpie so you know which one not to watch.

But that means I have to put the disc in, confirm that it's the lovely side, take it out immediately and write on it else I'll forget to do it and also I already said I'm an idiot jfc

(That is a good idea though it's not like it's worth anything in terms of resale value so may as well)

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
why did they even make 4:3 movies their own dvd

why didn't they just use the 16:9 movie stream and cut off the sides as an option on the disk? im guessing early dvd hardware couldn't do that. i mean you'd probably lose video quality but i doubt anyone watching a 4:3 movie is really going to notice or care

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
4x3 isn't just zoomed, the term pan and scan exists for a reason - the center of the 4x3 shifts around the original frame to the left or right, sometimes even moving during a held shot which really screws with your brain since a camera physically moving would have paralax and presumably focus changes happening during the movement

First example i could find without snobbery/interviews over-explaining everything:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ETGfeSim1K4

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Aug 15, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
And I think DVDs are a fixed resolution and get stretched for widescreen, so you'd end up with lower than DVD resolution horizontally.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sentient Data posted:

4x3 isn't just zoomed, the term pan and scan exists for a reason - the center of the 4x3 shifts around the original frame to the left or right, sometimes even moving during a held shot which really screws with your brain since a camera physically moving would have paralax and presumably focus changes happening during the movement

First example i could find without snobbery/interviews over-explaining everything:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ETGfeSim1K4

yeah i know

why doesn't it just use the 16:9 video stream and just show the viewer on the screen whats inside the box

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Because the DVD standard is little more than the menu system and "play this MPEG file"; there's no way they could have told the player to do that.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I remember watching Ghostbusters on VHS to death, then when I got the DVD (my first DVD, Blu Ray and Digital Download) I was like "holy poo poo, you can see Egon in this scene!" Widescreen blew my mind.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Flipperwaldt posted:

Welcome to 2012!

When I woke up this morning, my primary display was in sleep mode and my secondary was my new primary. At 3:30am last night (while I was asleep and my computer was idle), my Nvidia drivers crashed and recovered about a dozen times in a row, followed by a total failure, resulting in it falling back to the default Microsoft display driver.

Welcome to 2016 Nvidia drivers on Windows 10!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The era of "Hells yeah, can't wait to watch this movi- gently caress I got the full screen version" was my personal holocaust. The fact that they called it "full screen" pissed me off so much because people thought it meant that wide screen cut the top and bottom off the movie. "I get full screen because I want to watch the whole movie."

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
The edutainment chat reminds me of when I'd spend summers at the public library in my city, playing Carmen Sandiego and idly poking around the library database using green screen PCs.

Also I had totally forgotten but we did a project in... middle school? Which involved building a city in SimCity 1 for the PC, in teams. Too bad we couldn't bring in SNES SimCity, best version.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Cojawfee posted:

The era of "Hells yeah, can't wait to watch this movi- gently caress I got the full screen version" was my personal holocaust. The fact that they called it "full screen" pissed me off so much because people thought it meant that wide screen cut the top and bottom off the movie. "I get full screen because I want to watch the whole movie."

Not as bad but I just had a similar experience where I bought a DVD by accident instead of a Blu-Ray :negative:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A lot of the distaste for widescreen came from VHS. VHS only has one aspect ratio, so the black bars were just part of the signal and you'd end up with like 300 lines of resolution. This differs from DVD where the signal is stretched horizontally for widescreen so you get the full resolution.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
This reminded me, i had tape of Ghostbusters recorded off some tv channel in the 80s and it was letterboxed with the letterboxes not black but in the stations colors. Wonder if they did that for every movie back then but Im also surprised letterboxed movies on 80s ota tv was a thing

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I have Spider-Man 2 in full screen format DVD and it never really bothered me that much

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Cojawfee posted:

It depends on the movie, but with movies that were shot using Super 35 or open matte, you actually would get more image information.

Granted, the movie wasn't framed with that in mind, so you'd end up with a lot of extra headroom that the director never intended or things that were supposed to be framed out still showing up, like some random dude's arm in Keanu Reeve's cubicle in The Matrix.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Last Chance posted:

I have Spider-Man 2 in full screen format DVD and it never really bothered me that much

That's hosed up and you should never admit to something like that IRL

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Instant Sunrise posted:

It depends on the movie, but with movies that were shot using Super 35 or open matte, you actually would get more image information.

Granted, the movie wasn't framed with that in mind, so you'd end up with a lot of extra headroom that the director never intended or things that were supposed to be framed out still showing up, like some random dude's arm in Keanu Reeve's cubicle in The Matrix.

Kubrick shot with both framings in mind.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Germstore posted:

Kubrick shot with both framings in mind.

Insert 30 page derail about the helicopter shadow in The Shining

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

The worst thing was during the late 90s when widescreen TVs weren't a thing yet but widescreen DVDs and LDs (and even tapes) were becoming popular as premium editions for home viewing.

So until HDTV and widescreen and flatscreen TVs started to reach affordable price levels, there was this period when it was basically impossible to have a "proper" viewing experience of a "proper" theatrical movie. Letterboxing was the best you'd get.

And this led to weird people online who would run personal crusades against what they perceived as "censorship", i.e. they thought letterboxing was a conspiracy by some shadowy and undefined force who wanted to cut off the tops and bottoms of all movies and black out parts of your rightfully paid-for TV screen for no good reason. Bernard Farber was the king of this anti-letterboxing "movement", such as it was, and maybe in reality it was just him and an incredible sense of motivation to get the word out:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt.movies.hitchcock/Ztz27lE8dzg/awq8BnVpTg4J

He had one of those long and rambling conspiracy-nutcase sites that appealed with great fervor for consumers to resist the "letterschlocking" of movies. He would spam thousands of newsgroups daily with his URL and his diatribes—this went on for years—and if anyone tried to argue with him he would accuse them of being part of the conspiracy and in favor of the flagrant censorship of movies. You could email him or you could set up your own site in opposition to his and all he'd do is post your message in his "pro-censorship idiots" section.

http://www.listology.com/story/widescreen-vs-yokelvision

He even wove HDTV into his theory, once it started gaining popularity, claiming that this new format was "pro-letterboxing" and that it was designed to contribute to censorship by making it impossible to show the top and bottom of the picture frame, because it wouldn't even have them!

"Have you ever actually been to a movie theater?" you could ask. "Have you ever noticed how movies are wider than a TV? Do you know what an aspect ratio is?" —But that's way deeper than his argument ever even ran. His whole thing was that he paid for the whole height of a TV, dammit, and he wanted it all filled with movie. Directors' "original vision" be damned.

I can't find his site in the wayback machine, which is probably just as well because god drat it made me mad once upon a time. Now of course I know the guy's either dead, an even more wacko nutjob about something even stupider, or it was all a really incredible troll job.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Aix posted:

This reminded me, i had tape of Ghostbusters recorded off some tv channel in the 80s and it was letterboxed with the letterboxes not black but in the stations colors. Wonder if they did that for every movie back then but Im also surprised letterboxed movies on 80s ota tv was a thing

I've seen similar things when HD TV channels show SD broadcasts that are in fullscreen. ESPN does this a lot, either they'll have the station lettering, or an advertisement, and I've also seen where they mirror the edges of the actual broadcast and blur the hell out of it. I'd imagine that one is to give the vague appearance of a widescreen broadcast, or something.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The thing I sort of miss about DVD was when it first came out, there was the idea that every movie was going to have several language soundtracks and captions for you to choose from. I don't think I ever saw that happen consistently on anything. Sure, the English, French, Spanish and subtitles, but over at wiki I get the following info:

-DVDs can contain more than one channel of audio to go together with the video content, supporting a maximum of eight simultaneous audio tracks per video. This is most commonly used for different audio formats – DTS 5.1, AC-3 2.0 etc. – as well as for commentary and audio tracks in different languages.
-DVD Video may also include up to 32 subtitle or subpicture tracks. Subtitles are usually intended as a visual help for the deaf and hearing impaired and for translating dialogs.

I don't think I saw anything that had close to that on there, but it does seem like the older the DVD, the more they had.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I remember people talking about how concert DVDs would allow you to change angles so if you just wanted to watch the bass player the entire time, you could.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bonzo posted:

I remember people talking about how concert DVDs would allow you to change angles so if you just wanted to watch the bass player the entire time, you could.

This was the only DVD I remember having that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80dsyo2Ox-0

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Captain Yossarian posted:

That's hosed up and you should never admit to something like that IRL

Watching movies in 4:3 on a 16:9 screen is as dumb as people filming in portrait mode on their phones

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

EugeneJ posted:

Well I for one won't fall for that again.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Bonzo posted:

There were a few DVD releases that would use the angle feature for different language versions of scenes where there was a lot of text on the screen. Like the opening crawl in Star Wars.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
there were some dvds with gimmick extra features that popped up on the screen that let you watch extra scenes in context with a time on the main track (u could turn it off)

it was a neat gimmick but not on austin powers: goldmember

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

I'm still mad Jeff K isn't real

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

nigga crab pollock posted:

there were some dvds with gimmick extra features that popped up on the screen that let you watch extra scenes in context with a time on the main track (u could turn it off)

it was a neat gimmick but not on austin powers: goldmember

That was Infinifilm, I remember hearing about it quite a bit only to have it disappear from the face of the Earth

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Deadeye Dick posted:

I'm still mad Jeff K isn't real

were Jeff K and leetlikejeffk the same person?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

nigga crab pollock posted:

I think The Matrix had this thing where a white rabbit would appear on screen and would trigger producer commentary or something if you click it.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
My wife got me excited about a LOTR trilogy night, seeing as she had them all on DVD, but it turned out they were the 'fullscreen' edition. Why does that even exist, seriously.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

EugeneJ posted:

Did not know that bass riff was that cool.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Mak0rz posted:

I think The Matrix had this thing where a white rabbit would appear on screen and would trigger producer commentary or something if you click it.

LOST did this with the commentary tracks. The plane blew up and then you could push a button to see a small featurette on filming the scene.

X-Files season 1 did this in a few episodes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Data Graham posted:

The worst thing was during the late 90s when widescreen TVs weren't a thing yet but widescreen DVDs and LDs (and even tapes) were becoming popular as premium editions for home viewing.

So until HDTV and widescreen and flatscreen TVs started to reach affordable price levels, there was this period when it was basically impossible to have a "proper" viewing experience of a "proper" theatrical movie. Letterboxing was the best you'd get.

I don't know if this is just a really rare feature or it was something that only a single model of TV did ever, but one of my dad's friends had a TV where you could hit a button and it'd readjust the electron gun to only scan a 16:9 area of the screen. Combine with an anamorphic widescreen DVD or LD and you had real, 480 line widescreen on a normally 4:3 TV.