Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nebalebadingdong posted:

yeah maybe they should send trucks to spray for these kinds of things?

Nah, we just need to rebuild a bunch more of these sorts of things and give the system more powers to commit people there so the mentally ill aren't stuck on the streets.

Probably a lot cheaper than the constant policing and property crime and assault related costs, jail doesn't help them either.

No one should be living on the streets or "forced" to turn to crime.
Are you homeless for economic reasons? Here's some very affordable housing and unemployment payments and educational/training resources.
Are you homeless because you're a drug addict and spending all your welfare money on drugs? Here's some very cheap housing that comes direct from your welfare payments, here's a bunch of programs to help addicts, here's forced treatment if your drug abuse constantly results in crime and violence.
Are you homeless because you're mentally ill? Here's a variety of free voluntary mental health resources, in-patient facilities, and forced treatment/institutionalization for people who will always be a danger to them selves and others.
Bam, streets cleaned up, crime reduced, human suffering reduced, and probably money overall saved in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Baronjutter posted:

Nah, we just need to rebuild a bunch more of these sorts of things and give the system more powers to commit people there so the mentally ill aren't stuck on the streets.

Probably a lot cheaper than the constant policing and property crime and assault related costs, jail doesn't help them either.

No one should be living on the streets or "forced" to turn to crime.
Are you homeless for economic reasons? Here's some very affordable housing and unemployment payments and educational/training resources.
Are you homeless because you're a drug addict and spending all your welfare money on drugs? Here's some very cheap housing that comes direct from your welfare payments, here's a bunch of programs to help addicts, here's forced treatment if your drug abuse constantly results in crime and violence.
Are you homeless because you're mentally ill? Here's a variety of free voluntary mental health resources, in-patient facilities, and forced treatment/institutionalization for people who will always be a danger to them selves and others.
Bam, streets cleaned up, crime reduced, human suffering reduced, and probably money overall saved in the long run.

All true, but it always comes up short...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Are_No_Children_Here

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice

Strudel Man posted:

Ironic as that image seems at first blush, it's a line for food and clothing at a relief station during the Great Ohio River Flood. If anything, the fact that such help was available is a sign of relative success.

Ehhhh close enough. Thanks for the tidbit though. I knew it wasn't a depression pic per se, but I was curious about the real story.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baronjutter posted:

Is that a panopticon? :stare:

The problem with giving 'the system' more powers to commit people is, well, everything that happened last time that the system had more powers to commit people. People go in and don't come out, abuse becomes rampant and systemic, and it gets used for political reasons or for any groups that the system just doesn't want to deal with on a level footing (homosexuals, uppity women, agitators) and gets turned into a tool for its own perpetuation.

Better welfare or universal basic income? Jobs programs? Cheap/free housing? A John Marks style end to prohibition? Walk-in voluntary counseling? Those all sound great. But I'm very uneasy about a return to mass institutionalization.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Guavanaut posted:

Is that a panopticon? :stare:

Nope, even if it kinda looks like one. Actually it's the Narrenturm (fool's tower) in Vienna which was commissioned by Emperor Joseph II in 1784 after stories came to light how monks wouldn't know what to do with their mentally ill brethren and just lock them away in literal underground dungeons. The Narrenturm wasn't all that better though, as the chains in the various cells demonstrate. It had already been made obsolete like ten years after completion because the late 18th century was when study into treatment of mental illness really started to take shape, and advances in this field soon meant that everybody knew that this was kinda hosed up. It was used for its original purpose until 1866, though. Today it houses a rad pathologic-anatomical museum which I can't recommend enough if you should ever find yourself in Vienna, it's the only museum I've ever been to where the guide began his tour with "Oh, and should you have to puke that's no biggie, barf bags are over here"

"The Madhouse" by Francisco Goya (1815/19)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Cannes, France: City's Mayor Bans Full-Body Burkini Swimsuits Due to Security Concerns
Mayor David Lisnard said the burkini is a "symbol of Islamic extremism" and the city is on high alert following the July 14 terrorist attack in Nice. A €38 fine is to be issued to those not complying.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If we are taking inspiration from 18th century social engineering efforts, we need more Fourierist Phalanxes.

Those proposed buildings not only displayed a Le-Corbusier-like obsession with containing self-sufficient communities in one enclosed multi-purpose urban unit, they also included theoretical guidelines for its occupants on matters of gender equality and sexual freedom before it became cool even among leftists.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Met posted:

Cannes, France: City's Mayor Bans Full-Body Burkini Swimsuits Due to Security Concerns
Mayor David Lisnard said the burkini is a "symbol of Islamic extremism" and the city is on high alert following the July 14 terrorist attack in Nice. A €38 fine is to be issued to those not complying.

Urgh. If you're going to pass a law about Burqas, you shuld mandate that they're all stylish as gently caress.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Met posted:

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

UrbicaMortis posted:

Urgh. If you're going to pass a law about Burqas, you shuld mandate that they're all stylish as gently caress.

Good that everything solid is still melting into air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK1A0od12CY

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

LosAngeles.jpg

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Forceholy posted:

LosAngeles.jpg

Actually that's Seattle:

e: and this is supposedly San Francisco:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Actually that's Seattle:

e: and this is supposedly San Francisco:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Nashville TN

Seems like the best use for these dumbfuck Tiny Houses

Chicago (where I live)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Chicago (where I live)

There used to be something of an organized pushback against that treatment of people in popular culture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfAPhJW5fOY

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Guavanaut posted:

There used to be something of an organized pushback against that treatment of people in popular culture.

Well, they loving failed

Birmingham AL

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Guavanaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZQEJblS6tI

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I didn't know which overpass that one was exactly, but there was no doubt in my mind I was looking at a seattle.jpg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYafV2dN6vg

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
São Paulo, Brazil

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Portland homeless. It's got a fence to give the homeless some semblance of privacy and is in the section of town with good access to all sorts of facilities.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Freakazoid_ posted:

I didn't know which overpass that one was exactly, but there was no doubt in my mind I was looking at a seattle.jpg.

Pretty sure that's South 5 to East 90 at top, West 90 carpool off-ramp at bottom. I probably painted those grey graffiti coverups on the concrete support as that was a part of my job for quite awhile. I still have nightmares about dirty needles and hobo poop.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Well, they loving failed
They did. Because they projected the failures of the people that they hated on the ones that they failed, and vice versa.

The easiest way to say 'gently caress you bums' without having any liability either way.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/CMsVBpW.gifv

e: the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoXDe8HxHBA

TeenageArchipelago fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 13, 2016

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/InternetPalace/status/764692108653371392

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
https://twitter.com/darth/status/764909300628099072

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
We're looking at some old KKK cartoons in USPOL, and this one I had to google some backstory on:

Apparently in the 20s or so, the Klan and other fellows went after some angle that convents were basically sex-palaces for priests, and that innocent Southern girls were being lured into them to be exploited, so were demanding government investigations into what sexy, sexy stuff was going on in convents.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Recently, Homeschoolers Anonymous was given access to a worksheet from The Institute of Basic Life Principles‘ training center. It is titled ”Why Did God Let A Four Year Old Boy Be Molested By A Fifteen Year Old Neighbor?’. The Institute of Basic Life Principles is run by Bill Gothard, who is currently facing a lawsuit for molestation, rape, and sexual harassment. The Institute of Basic Life Principles has many training centers around the world.

https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2016/08/09/gothard-explains-why-god-allows-child-molestation-part-i/

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Recently, Homeschoolers Anonymous was given access to a worksheet from The Institute of Basic Life Principles‘ training center. It is titled ”Why Did God Let A Four Year Old Boy Be Molested By A Fifteen Year Old Neighbor?’. The Institute of Basic Life Principles is run by Bill Gothard, who is currently facing a lawsuit for molestation, rape, and sexual harassment. The Institute of Basic Life Principles has many training centers around the world.

https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2016/08/09/gothard-explains-why-god-allows-child-molestation-part-i/

That it's victims' responsibility to get God's help or else they are guilty too is probably the most awful thing I have heard said about God yet and that's really saying something.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/764948378862096388

Plausible.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Two Men Debated Whether Female Athletes Should Wear Makeup

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

The guy on the left's toupee is hilarious, and both look like their wives haven't enjoyed sex with them since the Reagan administration, if that.

e: forgot to post a pic I'm sorry probate if you must, but first, a classic from the year 2000:

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 17, 2016

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
twitter is the new cool place for insane racist grandmas to post disturbing material

(where the hell does all the artifacting come from? do people copy/paste using phone screenshots?)

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

twitter is the new cool place for insane racist grandmas to post disturbing material

(where the hell does all the artifacting come from? do people copy/paste using phone screenshots?)

Do I look like I know what George Soros, Saul Alinsky, Agenda 21, or a Jay Peg is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db83ghj48w8

e: Actual non-bad non-phonepost content:

Former Aston Villa player Dalian Atkinson, who died in the early hours of Monday morning after being tasered by Mercia Police.

Police have stated that tasers are normally very safe unless used improperly or against people with health conditions.

Police have also stated that they responded to the call "after concerns were raised about the man's health."

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 15, 2016

• Locked thread