Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah its fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Sounds way more natural than anything in Skyrim.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

I uh, don't really see what's "loving excruciating" about any of the voice acting in the trailer?
The opening monologue has the cadence of a text to speech program...

At first I thought it was text to speech.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Upmarket Mango posted:

Sounds way more natural than anything in Skyrim.
Yeah, they're definitely giving Max von Sydow a run for his money there :rolleyes:

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Tbh I don't think Sydow was all that good in this game. Now if you were using whoever voiced Paarthurnax as an example I'd be right with you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ajkalan posted:

Tbh I don't think Sydow was all that good in this game. Now if you were using whoever voiced Paarthurnax as an example I'd be right with you.

Bethesda pays a lot of money to give great actors nothing to work with.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sydow at his very worst is still better than Microsoft David. :mmmhmm:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The English VA work for Enderal is kind of hit and miss, but overall from the first ~8 hours or so of it it's still leaps and bounds better than Skyrim's.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Opinions wildly differ on the voice acting quality of any game/movie/cartoon. Two people can hear a line and one can think its garbage and the other might think its genius.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Opinions wildly differ on the voice acting quality of any game/movie/cartoon. Two people can hear a line and one can think its garbage and the other might think its genius.

we call those latter people "english as second language learners"

no but actually enderal's voice acting past the weird/bad intro is pretty great

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Mortimer posted:

It's not just that - to some extent it is truly subjective. Although there is such a thing as bad voice acting, you'd be hard pressed to get people to agree on what it is.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ajkalan posted:

Paarthunax, fantastically, is voiced by Mario

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mortimer posted:

Artmoor is living proof that having English as your first language does not mean your voice acting is necessarily any better than someone for whom English is a second language.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Do I just need the base game or do I need the DLCs as well to install nehrim 2.0?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Do I just need the base game or do I need the DLCs as well to install nehrim 2.0?

Just the base game.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

FutonForensic posted:

Just the base game.

Yessssssss

How good is this poo poo? I remember playing nehrim for hours on end just going from one massive dungeon to the next looking for sets of armor and weapons.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Yessssssss

How good is this poo poo? I remember playing nehrim for hours on end just going from one massive dungeon to the next looking for sets of armor and weapons.

I'm not that far in, but if you like Nehrim, you should like this.

I don't know how I feel about the Magic Fever mechanic, but it does encourage me to eat more food, and it's not that punishing anyway. I've also encountered a fair bit of untranslated incidental dialogue, though it's not as bad as Nehrim was, and it's possible that may be patched out.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Does it work with Sky UI? I think that's the one mod I simply couldn't live without.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It is SkyUI. They built their own interface.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

enderal is real fuckin good so far.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Edit wrong thread .

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 15, 2016

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Squeegy posted:

It is SkyUI. They built their own interface.

:monocle: I did not know that! Super cool. I'm going to check this out later today.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mortimer posted:

So it isn't just me then, because it was starting to get a bit Emperor's New Clothes in here. The later stuff in the trailer is actually much better, that first monologue though... sheesh.

I admit "loving excruciating" was a tad hyperbolic, but frankly so is "better than anything in Skyrim". I was just replying in kind.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah like I said, it's very hit and miss. At one moment you'll have a long lore dump chat with a guy and it will sound totally natural, and the next some poo poo kid will yell something at you and you'll want to throw your headphones across the room.

Bob NewSCART posted:

The hidden 100 Runes of Power (or whatever they are called) are back, as are set equipment. The dungeon and world design feels very similar to Nehrim in general so if you're looking for more of that, you're gonna get it.
It's feeling kind of easy so far on whatever is the default difficulty (Adept?), which is odd because when the German release came out everyone was complaining about how hard it was. Maybe they tweaked the starter areas since then though, I dunno.

FutonForensic posted:

I don't know how I feel about the Magic Fever mechanic, but it does encourage me to eat more food, and it's not that punishing anyway. I've also encountered a fair bit of untranslated incidental dialogue, though it's not as bad as Nehrim was, and it's possible that may be patched out.

Yeah there's a bunch of untranslated stuff around randomly, including some obvious stuff (like 'Steal', and the message when you spend a Memory Point). I'm kind of okay with the Fever mechanic so far, because like you said it gives Food a real purpose, without resorting to a hunger system even. But it does seem a little odd and gamey that certain things build it up and certain other things don't, like the basic Heal Self spell increases it but stealing life from enemies does not? And I think brewed potions don't raise it but common ones found in the world do? I dunno.

The only other major thing I don't like about it is that you have to Meditate to spend your Memory points, which involves two load screens and just seems kinda unnecessary. I'm starting to feel like I should relocate the game install to my SSD but I don't honestly remember how much that helps for this game. You don't do it very often though, so whatever. Going to have to go through and figure out what to tweak for graphics settings again anyway, I tend to average like 30FPS outdoors right now but I just threw it on Ultra to get started.

Also Fire Arrows are awesome and seem kinda ridiculous.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
I'm really enjoying Enderal so far. Are there any performance improving mods/tweaks that will work with it? If so any recommendations? Right now I'm running completely vanilla but performance isn't very good consistently.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Should there be a new thread just for Enderal?

Also, which folder should I place mods I want to use with it, so far I just want the fallout4 style quick loot mod.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Also, which folder should I place mods I want to use with it, so far I just want the fallout4 style quick loot mod.

there is

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3786460&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Tell me if that works for you because I could sure use it too.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I do notice that I can use the SKSE Crash Fixes PLUGIN, with the alternate malloc system, and it seems to improve load times.

Edit: I have to be honest, I will never understand some people's hateful reaction to voice acting. My own personal feeling on it is "is it better than the original PSX resident evil? Then shut up."

Seriously, the amateur VAs we have these days are better than the professionals of 15-20 years ago. Let it go. (Stares intently at SolidSnakesBandana the whole time.)

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 15, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Edit: I have to be honest, I will never understand some people's hateful reaction to voice acting. My own personal feeling on it is "is it better than the original PSX resident evil? Then shut up."

Seriously, the amateur VAs we have these days are better than the professionals of 15-20 years ago. Let it go. (Stares intently at SolidSnakesBandana the whole time.)

it's mostly personal taste, clearly your VA-pain threshold is pretty high so you can enjoy every mod out there, congrats!

also that argument doesn't really hold any weight sorry bud

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Its not so much an argument as amusment at the "KILL IT! KILL IT!!!" attitude I see quite a bit around here.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Mmmm... Yes... Amateur modder voice actors are gems to be thankful for for sure...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-qh04qjvBA
I had to turn off the game and take a walk after meeting this girl for the first time :v: OTOH tho there are some seriously good VAs in the modding community, but when it's bad it's truly painful.

edit: it was also the sad moment where i discovered that most NPC added by that mod are essential

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 15, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Agents are GO! posted:

Wha? I didn't actually express an opinion on the voice acting. If you were wondering, I think its fine.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I tried throwing this in just now and it worked totally fine. They go right in your steam/Skyrim/Data folder as things normally do.

E: Actually not quite fine, the common stash doesn't seem to display with it correctly, but I'm guessing that's got something to do with it being a scripted container.
Also 'special' containers like digging spots will let you just quick loot them and skip the digging animation and such.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 16, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dongattack posted:

edit: it was also the sad moment where i discovered that most NPC added by that mod are essential

console commands fix a lot of problems. like disable. or kill.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Wha? I didn't actually express an opinion on the voice acting. If you were wondering, I think its fine.

I was mostly just poking fun. I remember you bitching about most quests mods here and in the FNV threads. (I remember it because I've made a mental note that if I can ever get my quest mod finished, I wanted you to be a beta tester because you'd tear it a new one where necessary.)

Also, I probably shouldn't poke fun as I just spent twenty minutes figuring out how to ditch Enderal's font for the original Skyrim font (screw games with fancy fonts.)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Mmmm... Yes... Amateur modder voice actors are gems to be thankful for for sure...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-qh04qjvBA
I had to turn off the game and take a walk after meeting this girl for the first time :v: OTOH tho there are some seriously good VAs in the modding community, but when it's bad it's truly painful.

Ugh the greatest problem with Immersive NPCs - why use one sentence when you can use ten?

"People are scared. From the moment they leave their house, nobody stops watching the sky."

vs

"People are scared. Women pace in their homes, too afraid to venture out for firewood. Men keep their weapons close and hand as if at any minute a fire breathing monster might swoop down to kill everyon - men - women - children. Fear engulfs the entire province, blanketing it like the winter snows, freezing to the bone. The harvest rots in the field because the farmers do not dare to gather it. The forest run dry of game as even the animals sense that something is amiss, and like the night sky come the dawn... :words:"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

"People are scared. Women pace in their homes, too afraid to venture out for firewood. Men keep their weapons close and hand as if at any minute a fire breathing monster might swoop down to kill everyon - men - women - children.

At this point the NPC wanders away while still talking, making it impossible to skip past the remainder of their dialogue.

quote:

Fear engulfs the entire province, blanketing it like the winter snows, freezing to the bone. The harvest rots in the field because the farmers do not dare to gather it. The forest run dry of game as even the animals sense that something is amiss, and like the night sky come the dawn... :words:"

Every goddamn person in Immersive NPCs.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I tried throwing this in just now and it worked totally fine. They go right in your steam/Skyrim/Data folder as things normally do.

E: Actually not quite fine, the common stash doesn't seem to display with it correctly, but I'm guessing that's got something to do with it being a scripted container.
Also 'special' containers like digging spots will let you just quick loot them and skip the digging animation and such.

I haven't gotten far enough to find a common stash, is it still usable?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Ugh the greatest problem with Immersive NPCs - why use one sentence when you can use ten?

"People are scared. From the moment they leave their house, nobody stops watching the sky."

vs

"People are scared. Women pace in their homes, too afraid to venture out for firewood. Men keep their weapons close and hand as if at any minute a fire breathing monster might swoop down to kill everyon - men - women - children. Fear engulfs the entire province, blanketing it like the winter snows, freezing to the bone. The harvest rots in the field because the farmers do not dare to gather it. The forest run dry of game as even the animals sense that something is amiss, and like the night sky come the dawn... :words:"

no see it's okay because it's better than PS1 era voice acting

stop complaining :corsair:

• Locked thread