Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sits on Pilster posted:

That's pretty crazy. 2016s or 2017s? I'm only seeing 2017s at Dallas dealers and still a ways away from $14k.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Year=2016&Log=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Sits on Pilster posted:

Proposed Budget: $12,000 (if used) - $16,000 (if new, see below)

New or Used: Leaning towards used because value but I can get good deals on new Fords and Hyundais through my work. $16k round about for a new base 2016 Focus, maybe $17k for a new base 2016 Elantra.

Body Style: Compact but not sub-compact. Elantra, Focus, Corolla, etc.

How will you be using the car?: Wife's daily driver. Mostly around town/doing errands. Lowish annual mileage, I would expect. We have a 1 year old.

What aspects are most important to you?

- Not huge
- Backup camera
- Reliability
- Safety
- A/C for hellish Texas summers

Where does she live?

Dallas, TX

Misc.

Wife test drove a new Focus and it was fine. Tiny backup camera being standard was a big plus - that's the only "extra" she cares about. Believe 2015 was the first model year for the Focus that had this. I may be able to convince her to forego a backup camera as long as the car is easy to see out the back of. Taking a serious look at the previous model year of Focuses, Elantras and Fortes for this reason and would be interested in people's thoughts about these cars, and maybe some others I haven't considered.

The only thing I do in this thread is remind people that the ford focus/fiesta powershift automatic transmission is a piece of poo poo, so watch out for the old model focuses. However, supposedly the new transmission isn't as bad.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ammanas posted:

Am i totally wrong about hyundai? In the 90s and early 2000s it was a lovely budget car. Mid 2000s they got their poo poo together and were building genuine competitive-with-japan sedans at a slightly lower price and a great warranty.

Now it seems like its a strictly value brand again, to be avoided.

Yes. They sucked until like 2010 and now are fine, if a bit numb to drive. Same with Kia.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sits on Pilster posted:

Proposed Budget: $12,000 (if used) - $16,000 (if new, see below)

New or Used: Leaning towards used because value but I can get good deals on new Fords and Hyundais through my work. $16k round about for a new base 2016 Focus, maybe $17k for a new base 2016 Elantra.

Body Style: Compact but not sub-compact. Elantra, Focus, Corolla, etc.

How will you be using the car?: Wife's daily driver. Mostly around town/doing errands. Lowish annual mileage, I would expect. We have a 1 year old.

What aspects are most important to you?

- Not huge
- Backup camera
- Reliability
- Safety
- A/C for hellish Texas summers

Where does she live?

Dallas, TX

Misc.

Wife test drove a new Focus and it was fine. Tiny backup camera being standard was a big plus - that's the only "extra" she cares about. Believe 2015 was the first model year for the Focus that had this. I may be able to convince her to forego a backup camera as long as the car is easy to see out the back of. Taking a serious look at the previous model year of Focuses, Elantras and Fortes for this reason and would be interested in people's thoughts about these cars, and maybe some others I haven't considered.

Is a used Prius out of the question? Enjoying the one I bought 2 months ago.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

IOwnCalculus posted:

Shopping by payment is a horrible idea because it's a great way for dealers to really gently caress you over. You need to back that into an actual total transaction amount. Figure out a realistic interest rate you can get on a car loan, and a loan term that's realistic for the age of car you're likely to buy. Some math from that will tell you what loan amount you can get for that payment. Add your down payment and that is the total out-the-door price you should be shopping for and negotiating on.

All wheel drive doesn't really impact whether you need snow tires or not. Turning and stopping are more important than accelerating, and neither of those care whether you have two driven wheels or four. On top of that I have a hard time thinking of cars that truly "do not handle well in bad weather", outside of high-powered sports cars with low ground clearance, which are almost certainly out of your budget anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

IOC is correct. Don't shop on payment. Even ignoring interest rate, there's a difference between $180/mo for 36 mos and $180/mo for 72 mos. The $ you save from not paying the Northern New England Subaru tax will store your winter tires at a tire place for decades. I'm in down town by God Boston and my annual changeover is like $160 including storage for the year. When I lived in VT it was like $60.

Prius with snow tires fits the bill quite nicely.

Thanks for the input! I'm definitely going to do some budgeting, though I think I could afford, say, $11,000 over several years. I make about $30k/year right now, split most bills with my girlfriend, have a very good credit score, and I'm pretty frugal. I think I could definitely get a used Prius without breaking the bank. My boss drives a Prius so I'm going to ask if I can take it on a drive and feel it out. I also forgot about our neglected storage space (god knows what's in there) so I should be able to keep the snow tires there. Even though part of me balks at that, I'm a notorious procrastinator and I just know I'll wait til after the first storm to get the tires on.

Is there any specific model of the Prius I should avoid or seek out? Is there any reason I *shouldn't* go with a Subaru, which was what I was originally thinking?

Thanks in advance for the help, I really appreciate it!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Sits on Pilster posted:

That's pretty crazy. 2016s or 2017s? I'm only seeing 2017s at Dallas dealers and still a ways away from $14k.

Yes Hyundai does some aggressive discounting. I actually picked up a new Accent rental this morning and was surprised by how much I like it. I have no doubt you could find an Elantra for 14 or less if not local look around. Download the cars.com app

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Proposed Budget: No more than $20K, maybe $22-23k if I absolutely have to.
New or Used: New would be nice, but prefer CPO or a well-maintained used car.
Body Style: Leaning towards hatchback, but the configuration doesn't matter too much.
How will you be using the car?: 90% work commute, 30 miles a day (~5 miles street), 5 days a week. Rare 200-300 mile weekend vacation run.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? A solid A/C system (desert dweller) and cruise control are priority #1. I want native bluetooth support (calls and audio) from the head unit, and would like to have the option for SiriusXM, if I ever go that route. Onboard nav/CarPlay/AndroidAuto would be nice, but not required.
Where do I live? Las Vegas, NV
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, "fun", utility

Misc:
For the last 12 years, I've been daily driving my fairly reliable 1991 Miata. The car is still mechanically sound (engine/transmission still problem free), and it's just recently passed 250k and 25 years of life. I'm looking into getting a newer DD with a few more creature comforts, and a few less old car rattles! I am open to both selling/trading the car for whatever pennies it's worth, or preferably holding onto it and making it a sort of restoration project. In the past, I owned a 2007 Honda Fit, and have considered a second gen. I've been eyeing the Fiesta ST, the BRZ/FRS, and a Mazda 3 as replacements, and have floated the idea of something from Hyundai/Kia.

I just hope whatever I end up buying will last me another dozen years like my Miata.

Thanks in advance!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

porkswordonboard posted:

Thanks for the input! I'm definitely going to do some budgeting, though I think I could afford, say, $11,000 over several years. I make about $30k/year right now, split most bills with my girlfriend, have a very good credit score, and I'm pretty frugal. I think I could definitely get a used Prius without breaking the bank. My boss drives a Prius so I'm going to ask if I can take it on a drive and feel it out. I also forgot about our neglected storage space (god knows what's in there) so I should be able to keep the snow tires there. Even though part of me balks at that, I'm a notorious procrastinator and I just know I'll wait til after the first storm to get the tires on.

Is there any specific model of the Prius I should avoid or seek out? Is there any reason I *shouldn't* go with a Subaru, which was what I was originally thinking?

Thanks in advance for the help, I really appreciate it!

The reason to not go Subaru is higher cost (fuel economy, running cost, etc) versus a Prius, and less car (higher mileage, worse condition) for the same money due to the Northern New England Subaru Tax. Ten grand worth of Prius gets you a pretty good example that you can drive for a decade.

Just set a date to do the changeover. I do mine by 11/1 and 5/1 respectively.

This is also a BFC outpost so if you post your budget we can probably give you a good idea of what you can afford.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bentai posted:

Body Style: Leaning towards hatchback, but the configuration doesn't matter too much.
How will you be using the car?: 90% work commute, 30 miles a day (~5 miles street), 5 days a week. Rare 200-300 mile weekend vacation run.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? A solid A/C system (desert dweller) and cruise control are priority #1. I want native bluetooth support (calls and audio) from the head unit, and would like to have the option for SiriusXM, if I ever go that route. Onboard nav/CarPlay/AndroidAuto would be nice, but not required.

Misc:
For the last 12 years, I've been daily driving my fairly reliable 1991 Miata. The car is still mechanically sound (engine/transmission still problem free), and it's just recently passed 250k and 25 years of life. I'm looking into getting a newer DD with a few more creature comforts, and a few less old car rattles! I am open to both selling/trading the car for whatever pennies it's worth, or preferably holding onto it and making it a sort of restoration project. In the past, I owned a 2007 Honda Fit, and have considered a second gen. I've been eyeing the Fiesta ST, the BRZ/FRS, and a Mazda 3 as replacements, and have floated the idea of something from Hyundai/Kia.

I just hope whatever I end up buying will last me another dozen years like my Miata.

Thanks in advance!

Brand new Civic LX will come in under your number. If you hold out a couple months the hatchback will be available. Otherwise, Mazda3 checks the boxes. I'd hold the Miata, it's too high mileage to have much resale value. I do not find any of the new Kia's or Hyundais to be any fun to drive at all. Awful steering and bad suspension tuning.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

How bad of an idea would it be to get this Volvo S40 T5?

I'm looking for a reliable DD for reasonably cheap, but I'd like something a little weird and different. It's our family's only car though, so if the choices are weird and different but unreliable, I'd just get the civic I saw for roughly the same price.

Anything I should know about this? It's the T5 trim, so it's turbocharged with the 6sp manual. Seems like a bad idea to buy a 10 year old turboed car, but it's based on the Focus/Mazda3 platform, so at least the non-engine parts should be easily available.

I can do most repairs myself on my current car, but it's a very basic 4 cyl Focus. Not sure how well that knowledge would transfer to this.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Speaking from a mechanic, I've had nothing but misery in terms of parts prices and available diagnostic info for post-redblock Volvos. I could see owning one as a 'fun' car, but I wouldn't want one for a DD, especially with that many miles. The turbo/stick models are pretty fun to drive.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bentai posted:

Misc:

Thanks in advance!

I can't imagine trading in the Miata being worth it at all with that many miles. If you've got the space, for sure keep it.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Proposed Budget: $7500
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatchback, sedan, wagon or small SUV
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to work, 10 miles each way. Road trips of 50-200 miles each way once a month or so.
Where do I live? Southern Maine. Snow is obviously a factor but where I live, the plow crews are on it and the roads stay pretty clear.
What aspects are most important to you?Reliability, headroom (I'm 6'6"), decent in the snow.

Misc This car will primarily be for my girlfriend, who is from the city and hasn't owned a car before. She's got very little driving experience. She's drawn to lifted trucks and other impractical things that I won't be buying. Oh, yeah...it has to be an automatic and seat four, maybe five.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

Am i totally wrong about hyundai? In the 90s and early 2000s it was a lovely budget car. Mid 2000s they got their poo poo together and were building genuine competitive-with-japan sedans at a slightly lower price and a great warranty.

Now it seems like its a strictly value brand again, to be avoided.

I think that there is still a certain brand image they can't shake but the new Hyundais continually get very good reviews and are still better quality than the American products.

I'm really anxious to see how things go with the Genesis brand. I've had my 2015 3.8 AWD sedan for a little over a year now and it's been an amazing car so far.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TKIY posted:

and are still better quality than the American products.

This is not necessarily true from the tons of reviews I've read the past few months. Some are, some aren't.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Maybe things are swinging back then, when I was shopping there wasn't much to read out there that concerned me about Korean quality.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That doesn't follow. Their quality is fine and good and so is a lot of American stuff.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

That doesn't follow. Their quality is fine and good and so is a lot of American stuff.

Ah my mistake, I read it to mean the other way around.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Q-sixtysix posted:

How will you be using the car?: Commuting to work, 10 miles each way. Road trips of 50-200 miles each way once a month or so.
Where do I live? Southern Maine. Snow is obviously a factor but where I live, the plow crews are on it and the roads stay pretty clear.
What aspects are most important to you?Reliability, headroom (I'm 6'6"), decent in the snow.

Misc This car will primarily be for my girlfriend, who is from the city and hasn't owned a car before. She's got very little driving experience. She's drawn to lifted trucks and other impractical things that I won't be buying. Oh, yeah...it has to be an automatic and seat four, maybe five.

pppppppppppppppppppppppprrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssssssssssssss

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Priuses are great and all, but the headroom is dicey for very tall people. If you don't fit(ha) in a Prius, try a Fit. Similar low TCO, fantastic reliability, tons of room, more fun to drive, a little worse mileage. I cross-shopped both of them a couple years ago.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Q-sixtysix posted:

Post just screams small CUV to me. A little higher seating position, which I know my wife is a fan of. Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, not sure if the newer Escape's are available in that price range yet. I'd lean Honda personally, those CR-V's are great cars.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Proposed Budget: $5k-$10k, willing to stretch to $15k for the right car
Body Style: Small hatchback
How will you be using the car?: 20 mile commute, occasional longer trips.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Aux port/bluetooth is important, everything else I could take or leave
What aspects are most important to you? I can do my own work, but I'm not a mechanic, so ease of maintainability/cost of parts matter. Small car, but versatility to haul stuff. Good MPG, but we don't drive enough to pay a premium for it. I tend to favor domestics due to cheaper parts, but not a zealot.
Why not a Prius?: We don't drive enough for the MPG to matter. The reliability is nice, but I'd like something that is at least a little tiny bit fun to drive, and we both prefer manuals. It's probably the right car in a pure min/max kind of way, and that is normally the way I think about this, but I'd like to be just a little bit less practical. Only a little bit though.

I posted something similar to the above a year ago, but we ended up sticking with the car we have. It's at 200k now, and getting closer to the end. I know what advice is generally given to people in this situation (not least of all because I've asked this question before).

I'm looking at Mazda2, Mazda3 (2012+ for the Skyactiv engine. Out of my budget mostly, but in the stretch), Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus (2012+ for the redesign), Honda Fit. Maybe a Prius if we decide to go for automatics. Maybe a GTI, but I'm not sold on their reliability.

I'm still looking for cars to add to the test drive list, but I'm primarily making this post to specifically ask about the infotainment systems of these cars. I have a tiny bit of experience with SYNC, but I'm hoping someone can speak to the ease of use of some of the systems in my price range (i.e. several years old). I've heard Mazda's is not very good, SYNC is fine, but MyFordTouch is bad, and I know nothing about Honda's. That could all be really out of date though, and it's not based on much. I'm going to some dealers to test drive, but I'd love some feedback on this specifically. I've heard Chevy's is good, but I'm not sure if they have a good small hatchback in my price range. Thanks!

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 15, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Out of what you're looking at the Mazda 3 is the most enjoyable to drive, and has fine reliability.

edit: I forgot to say that I can't speak towards a Mazda 3 prior to 2014, but the infotainment system in the 2014+ is fine. Probably the best amongst it's competitors, but I'm not positive about that.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 15, 2016

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Proposed Budget: < $10k
Body Style: Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: 10ish mile commute, 2-3 a month weekend road trips during the summer, over 100 miles round trip, minimum. Transporting a bike and/or kayak.
Where do I live? Northern MN.
What aspects are most important to you? Total cost of ownership, Reliability.
Misc: Really want to have a manual. I've been driving a 98 Escort for like 11 years (including doing pizza work, 160k miles) so anything with like, auto windows/cruise control/functional radio would be nice.

On Carsoup I see near me:
2014 Focus SE for $15k
2012 Fit for $11k
2008 Saturn Astra for $9k
2006 Scion TC for $6k (105k miles)
2005 Scion CA for 4.5k (52k miles)

e: There is a 2010 Toyota Prius II with like 77k miles on on it for 10k very close. Maybe I should just give up on the manual and just buy the driving appliance.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 15, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Domestic hatchback ideas:

1. Used Saturn Astra - I can't believe that I'm actually recommending this car but it was not too bad and has depreciated nicely. Not sure if it has an aux port. Parts availability might be a little suspect.
2. used/new Chevrolet Sonic - available with hatch and manual
3. Used Chevrolet HHR - if you can tolerate how it looks. It's not really a hatchback, either, more of a true wagon / breadvan.
4. Ford Focus/Fiesta, you already covered these.

comedy option: dodge caliber (DO NOT BUY A DODGE CALIBER)

anything before CarPlay/Android Auto sucks from an infotainment perspective other than hands free calling and simple audio playback, but they'll all have Aux in or USB in or BTA so you'll be fine for playback.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Proposed Budget: 40-50kish
New or Used: New or gently used/certified
Body Style: Small-Midsize SUV
How will you be using the car?: Commuting. Traversing the Rubicon trail Maybe traveling with a dog.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Yes
What aspects are most important to you? Style, comfort, ease of driving, current availability

The girlfriend and I are finally going car shopping for her in the next week or two. We're looking primarily at either the BMW X3 or a gently used Macan, but are open to pretty much any comparable small SUV that's currently available. I get the feeling this isn't the ideal time to buy a small SUV since the X3/Q5 are about to be replaced, but we're looking at getting something within the next month or two.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Leaving aside that they suck to drive, are Versas reliable?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Grumpwagon posted:

Leaving aside that they suck to drive, are Versas reliable?

Not the CVT ones. Nissan's CVTs need more preventative maintenance than conventional transmissions, and fail earlier and more often. If you found a manual one, that's a perfectly appropriate driving appliance as long as it's so cheap that any other car you could get for the price would be in far worse shape.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Residency Evil posted:

Proposed Budget: 40-50kish
New or Used: New or gently used/certified
Body Style: Small-Midsize SUV
How will you be using the car?: Commuting. Traversing the Rubicon trail Maybe traveling with a dog.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Yes
What aspects are most important to you? Style, comfort, ease of driving, current availability

The girlfriend and I are finally going car shopping for her in the next week or two. We're looking primarily at either the BMW X3 or a gently used Macan, but are open to pretty much any comparable small SUV that's currently available. I get the feeling this isn't the ideal time to buy a small SUV since the X3/Q5 are about to be replaced, but we're looking at getting something within the next month or two.

You open to leasing? The outgoing models might have some attractive lease deals right now.

I wasn't impressed with the X3, by the time I optioned an xDrive35i the drat thing was near 60 grand. It's almost insulting Nav and heated seats don't come standard on a 55,000 dollar BMW. The lease residual is pretty good though. Supposedly there are some good deals to be had on the Q5 right now as well. Both are pretty vehicles.

German cars aren't my thing, how do you feel about other cars in the segment like an Acura RDX, Lexus RX? Personally I would choose a loaded Ford Edge in the segment, but I'm a Ford person and prefer their vehicles. Just as much tech and features, not as polished, but no crazy German service/parts tax.

If you want a Macan, not much out there like it, I wish I could afford one. I would drive the poo poo out of a Macan Turbo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There's the new baby Cadillac SUV if that styling is more your ball game. I saw a GLC the other day and that looked fairly decent.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Proposed Budget: ~10K or less
Body Style: Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver in a small town.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, automatic transmission, heat & A/C.
Misc: I just moved to Billings, Montana from outside the country. I’ll be here for three years and am looking for a car that’s reliable and will keep me cool in the summer and warm in the winter. That’s pretty much it. Consumer Reports has the 07-09 Hyundai Sonatas as one of their picks for sedans under 10K, and I talked to the guy who has this listing locally:

https://billings.craigslist.org/cto/5736188856.html

He bought the car from a dealer about four years ago and has all the maintenance documentation. I’ve got a recommended local mechanic who can inspect it. As long as they say it’s fine it seems like it will fit the bill. Any advice?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Proposed Budget: 10-15k
Body Style: Hatchback or wagon
How will you be using the car?: My daily drive to work is under 10 miles round trip, but my other errands probably average out to more than 20 miles a day. Occasionally carry mountain bike and eventually tow a dirt bike trailer.
What aspects are most important to you?: Fun, manual, aux jack (or at least an easy to replace stereo), no more than 10 years old, basic maintenance that I can do in a driveway
Misc: If I was buying brand new, I would get a Focus ST, but I can't bring myself to have the payments of a $25K car. I'm not planning to buy until at least October when I get a raise, and by then I'll have about $5000 set aside for a down payment.

Here's my list of cars so far:
Mazda3
Focus
Golf I don't like VW's for no particular reason
V70?
Impreza

Comedy Options:
WRX wagon
Legacy GT wagon
1st Generation Speed3
(I think I would like any of those cars, but living in an area full of young military people, there's no way I'll find one that hasn't been hammered).

I'm leaning highly towards the Mazda right now, but are there any others I should be looking at? And are there any sites I should be checking aside from Craigslist, Autotrader, Edmunds, and Cars.com? I fully expect to drive a few hours to get a good deal, but I'd like to get a test drive somewhere close to home.

Deeters fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 18, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If you consider the comedy options, read up on the ej255/7. They can break with good owners.

I would argue my Mazda 2 is more fun to drive than a Mazda 3. It has no power and no real interior features (but has everything you listed) but it is tossable as hell. Manual only as the automatic makes the car suck.
It gets, hilariously, worse FE than the larger 3. You could get an early one for surprisingly close for your downpayment.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Having driven my grilfriend's Sonic and my other friend's Fiesta, I don't really want to get anything that small. I forgot to add in my post that I'd like to be able to put my mountain bike in the back, even if I have to fold the seats down. I can pull this off with my current old Camry. I'd also like to eventually pull a trailer with a single dirt bike on it.

I found Slow is Fast's (I think) thread about his LGT the last time I was thinking about them, and that pretty much cemented them as a comedy option.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You should be able to swing a used FoST for like sixteen.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Deeters posted:

Having driven my grilfriend's Sonic and my other friend's Fiesta, I don't really want to get anything that small. I forgot to add in my post that I'd like to be able to put my mountain bike in the back, even if I have to fold the seats down. I can pull this off with my current old Camry. I'd also like to eventually pull a trailer with a single dirt bike on it.

I found Slow is Fast's (I think) thread about his LGT the last time I was thinking about them, and that pretty much cemented them as a comedy option.

Far enough, but I can fit a 61cm traditional geometry road bike in the back with just taking off the front wheel and dropping the seats, so unless you're giant it should be fine.
Also, do any of those (besides the lgt) have a tow rating? Obviously doesn't need to be high, but I wouldn't tow without anything unless you like being found at fault in any accident.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The 2 I test drove was probably bigger inside than my sedan 3, but it was waaaay underpowered. I believe they still sell them new under the Scion badge but only in a sedan? In any case I don't think towing a trailer of any kind would be a good idea with one.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'll turn 40 in a couple of months and it looks like I'm headed for divorce. I'm looking for a mid-life crisis car. Something sporty. Budget $20k-$30k, maybe something 3-6 years old. Convertible is a plus (I mean, it's a mid-life crisis car, might as well). I like Corvette, Camaro, etc, but maybe something slightly less "slap-you-across-the-face mid-life crisis car" and something more "cool mid-life guy" car.

BMW Z4?

Suggestions?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Goondolences. Have you looked at the FRS/BRZ? Possibly a WRX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mustang GT convertible