Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ka0 posted:

I wish I'd never sold my copies of pokemon blue, red, silver and the gba ones. They were all mint new and in crisp condition; Now I know if I ever want something similar back it's going to cost upwards of a couple of hundred bucks.

Welcome to the classic feeling of retro regret.

At some point, most of us has sold off various old games just to be able to buy more games (or for other things) and it's painful seeing that if you could sell it today, it would have been worth ten times more. Or that you just wish you still had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Picked up Mega Man Legends 2 this weekend. It's slightly :retrogames: to begin with but I felt I got a very fair deal, and the disc, case and manual are immaculate. Now I have all the MM PS1 US releases. In fact it completes most of the "major" stuff, now I'm just down to Battle Network, etc.

Ineffiable posted:

At some point, most of us has sold off various old games just to be able to buy more games (or for other things) and it's painful seeing that if you could sell it today, it would have been worth ten times more. Or that you just wish you still had it.
I started collecting again because I wanted a Saturn again, which as a kid I traded to Funcoland for an N64 which I never got the same enjoyment out of. This was like 4-5 years ago, so luckily I got all the games I wanted before the Saturn market got stupid.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I love when I randomly come across the Super Nintendo being mentioned in mainstream popular culture: http://teamcoco.com/video/celebrity-nudes-hacker-gets-hacked

_____!
May 2, 2004

d0s posted:

Agreed, it does suck. The 6-button pad I posted is way better. It's the pad that came with the model 2 and CDX

http://segaretro.org/Six_Button_Control_Pad_(Mega_Drive)

The six button you linked to? As everyone knows it is fantastic. I love it; I use one as my main Genesis pad. It feels like a smaller version of the good Saturn pad.

I also have this six button pad which is not fantastic. Lower quality plastic? Check. Awkward three button shape? Check. Hard edges to dig into your hands? Very check. At least it has turbo. That pad only comes out if I want to play co-op Streets of Rage 3 which obviously happens less than playing co-op Streets of Rage 2. That other six button pad looks like a dream compared to this one!

How a controller specifically for the Brazilian market released late in the console's life made it's way to a New Hampshire pawn shop is beyond me.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I love when I randomly come across the Super Nintendo being mentioned in mainstream popular culture: http://teamcoco.com/video/celebrity-nudes-hacker-gets-hacked

drat it Conan you're better than this, that is clearly a PS2 controller for the auto-erotic asphyxiation nor is the SNES yellow enough to be legit!:q:
edit regarding below:I didn't notice that but now I also see that the PS2 controller has a USB plug!

_____! fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 15, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

_____! posted:

drat it Conan you're better than this, that is clearly a PS2 controller for the auto-erotic asphyxiation nor is the SNES yellow enough to be legit!:q:

Also the power button is on

_____!
May 2, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Also the power button is on

I didn't notice that but the power has to be on to really get a great jack-job from a Super Nintendo. I also see that the PS2 controller has a USB plug.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

_____! posted:

edit regarding below:I didn't notice that but now I also see that the PS2 controller has a USB plug!

Excuse me, that's a PS3, controller. Please turn in your nerd card and leave the building.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

What are some good baseball games? I was playing Cal Ripken Jr on SNES last night, which I think controls well, but doesn't have real teams or stadiums.

Then I moved to Triple Play Gold on the genesis, which has real teams and ok controls.

Finally I jumped to MLB 2k13 on the PS3, which of course has incredible representations of the stadiums and even the fans wear different outfits representing their home team, but you need to take a course on the controls there. Way too much going on there. Compared to the other games I've mentioned this is like the difference between Daytona USA and Forza.

I remember Ken Griffey Jr. on the n64 being good, but I haven't played it in close to a decade, so I don't know of it holds up.

What's good with an mlb license and controls that you don't have to think about?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Base Wars. :colbert:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you're not just playing RBI Baseball on the NES then what are you doing with your life?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
RealSports Baseball

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think the weird conundrum with licensed sports games is their roster is only accurate as of when it was released, and maybe a little later for internet-enabled titles. But then maybe living in the past is a good thing if your team was awesome but then went to poo poo or even no longer exists (I think World Series 2K3 is the last baseball game which featured the Montreal Expos), I half-expect some people bitter about the most recent hockey trades are going to stick with NHL 16 forever. And then, of course, there are hacks of older games to update their rosters, most popular being various American Football games (especially Tecmo Super Bowl hacks on NES) as well as hacks of NHL 93 and 94.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I've got a Euro PS3 (stop right there hahaha) with RGB to BNC (retrogamingcables UK with a single sync, passive) and it's cranky when I try to stick it to my PVM which promises 750 lines or more, 1080p no, 1080i sort of resolves but no, 720p no, 576i is ugly, nut 576p while beautiful as hell gives me this:

Which is a game from Japanese PSN most likely running 480p so the peculiar middle is shifted a little to the side compared to 576p and what does that mean? Looking very close it's like a serious scan or sync problem that shifts every other line and extends the image horizontally, none of the settings have helped fix it, switching to SDI or component has not helped either. Do I need some sort of sync-box between PS3 and RGB-BNC cable? Not too expensive?

PS1 on the high res CD player screen is 100% flawless though, click to enlarge to engorge

e: None of what I google up makes sense. Seeing plenty people put PS3s into PVMs no problem even Euro PAL ones but not sure which iterations they've been on unless 480i/576i is what they've all gone on. Doesn't hurt the eyes as much as s-video 576i but I just want the best of it.. oh well

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 15, 2016

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Ineffiable posted:

I'm the anomaly because I kept most of my stuff in check. Yesterday I was looking at the most expensive retro games at GameStop, checking those prices against eBay prices, and was surprised that several of the more uncommon NES games I bought for next to nothing back from '98 - '02 are worth upwards of 5x to 10x what I initially bought them for. I guess I was also like the only person who probably bought their GameCube component cables from Nintendo's online store back when they actually had them in stock. I'm either super lucky or a financial wizard.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Excuse me, that's a PS3, controller. Please turn in your nerd card and leave the building.
:doh:
Anything made after 1995 looks the same to me. Back in my day controllers were rectangles!:corsair:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
So I have a question, I was thinking about the original SMB on the NES vs SMB3. How did they advance so far with only ~40 kilobytes of memory?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

So I have a question, I was thinking about the original SMB on the NES vs SMB3. How did they advance so far with only ~40 kilobytes of memory?

Mario 3 used a mapper chip that would split the program into 40KB banks so that the NES could address more than just that 40KB ROM.

SMB1 is almost procedurally generated in terms on how it stores its level data.

And for the record, the NES had 2 KB of system ram, and 2 KB of video ram. (plus some other, smaller memory caches on the PPU itself, and also cartridges themselves could add additional memory)

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
SMB1's design is kind of like sheet music or guitar tabs, or something. The instructions for building the level are there, but that's it. The level doesn't exist in its finished state anywhere but in the RAM and on screen.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

SMB1's design is kind of like sheet music or guitar tabs, or something. The instructions for building the level are there, but that's it. The level doesn't exist in its finished state anywhere but in the RAM and on screen.

Which is why if you do stupid cart swapping tricks to gently caress with the memory, you can generate new levels out of random garbage data

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

SMB1 is at least believable. The really unbelievable game is Super Mario World crammed into 512 kilobytes, loving how.

HMC
May 18, 2009

World 1-1 of Super Mario Bros, for reference (From Nathan Altice's book I Am Error):

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Yeah like the warp zones select the level you warp to by what number is drawn above the pipe you go down. Which is why the minus world bug works.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

HMC posted:

Nathan Altice's book I Am Error
This is such a great book, and everyone who wants to understand the NES/Famicom at a more technical level should read it.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Thanks for all the answers!!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

in japan the FMV in games were anime that was created specifically for the low color limit of systems like the PCE-CD, etc. I honestly don't think Sega really designed the system around the idea of using real life video at all, in the same way the PCE-CD was totally not made for it. I think sega of america got the idea that what people wanted was multimedia interactive movies and kinda promoted it as that despite it being actually really bad for that, but really pretty good at cartoons and better normal 2D games

Well you have to remember that there were a bunch of people like Digital Pictures who had invested money in shooting footage for "interactive movies" back in the 80s, on the presumption that some sort of VHS or Laserdisc based system would become popular and allow the things to actually come to homes. When Sega starts going around talking about how they were going to have a system capable of digital video available, those companies jumped on the chance to finally use all that footage.

Take Sewer Shark and Night Trap for instance: they were originally shot in 1987 for the never-hit-shelves "Control-Vision" VHS-based console: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control-Vision

The concept of that system was that on a standard VHS tape, they'd have encoded multiple simultaneous audio/video streams that could be switched between, as well as computer data that went alongside. It ended up being impractically expensive, so the footage mostly just sat around for 5 years until Sega came around talking up their new console, and it got re-transferred to the CD system.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

Take Sewer Shark and Night Trap for instance: they were originally shot in 1987 for the never-hit-shelves "Control-Vision" VHS-based console: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control-Vision

The concept of that system was that on a standard VHS tape, they'd have encoded multiple simultaneous audio/video streams that could be switched between, as well as computer data that went alongside. It ended up being impractically expensive, so the footage mostly just sat around for 5 years until Sega came around talking up their new console, and it got re-transferred to the CD system.

Huh, neat, it reminds me back in 2000 I visited my uncle who was a TV sound mixer, and his main workstation used a sort of hacked VHS standard (wasn't Betacam but true VHS) which included timecode data that he could scrub with, while the sound was all digital in his machine, because digital video was way too difficult for editing where it wasn't strictly required and since his job only needed the visuals as a rough guide the lower visual quality and degradation of VHS was a non-issue.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

What are some good baseball games? I was playing Cal Ripken Jr on SNES last night, which I think controls well, but doesn't have real teams or stadiums.

Then I moved to Triple Play Gold on the genesis, which has real teams and ok controls.

Finally I jumped to MLB 2k13 on the PS3, which of course has incredible representations of the stadiums and even the fans wear different outfits representing their home team, but you need to take a course on the controls there. Way too much going on there. Compared to the other games I've mentioned this is like the difference between Daytona USA and Forza.

I remember Ken Griffey Jr. on the n64 being good, but I haven't played it in close to a decade, so I don't know of it holds up.

What's good with an mlb license and controls that you don't have to think about?

Triple Play 99 is what I would suggest. It's got the framework of modern controls, but they're nowhere near as complex or fiddly as what they're like now, and every time you turn it on, you get a lecture on baseball history from Solid Snake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mcsn0M-1NM&t=11s

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shyduck posted:

Picked up Mega Man Legends 2 this weekend. It's slightly :retrogames: to begin with but I felt I got a very fair deal, and the disc, case and manual are immaculate. Now I have all the MM PS1 US releases. In fact it completes most of the "major" stuff, now I'm just down to Battle Network, etc.
I started collecting again because I wanted a Saturn again, which as a kid I traded to Funcoland for an N64 which I never got the same enjoyment out of. This was like 4-5 years ago, so luckily I got all the games I wanted before the Saturn market got stupid.

MML2 is one of my favourite games :allears:. If you haven't played before, take the time to thoroughly explore each set of Ruins before heading on to the next story location. Most have a secondary weapon development part in them somewhere, often in a crack in the wall.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I know there is another thread for retro computing, but I found this today at Goodwill (was trying to find a CRT monitor for a project I have).

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/765283526778490881

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

Triple Play 99 is what I would suggest. It's got the framework of modern controls, but they're nowhere near as complex or fiddly as what they're like now, and every time you turn it on, you get a lecture on baseball history from Solid Snake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mcsn0M-1NM&t=11s

Thanks! I'll have to give this a shot.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MrLonghair posted:

I've got a Euro PS3 (stop right there hahaha) with RGB to BNC (retrogamingcables UK with a single sync, passive) and it's cranky when I try to stick it to my PVM which promises 750 lines or more, 1080p no, 1080i sort of resolves but no, 720p no, 576i is ugly, nut 576p while beautiful as hell gives me this:

Which is a game from Japanese PSN most likely running 480p so the peculiar middle is shifted a little to the side compared to 576p and what does that mean? Looking very close it's like a serious scan or sync problem that shifts every other line and extends the image horizontally, none of the settings have helped fix it, switching to SDI or component has not helped either. Do I need some sort of sync-box between PS3 and RGB-BNC cable? Not too expensive?

PS1 on the high res CD player screen is 100% flawless though, click to enlarge to engorge

e: None of what I google up makes sense. Seeing plenty people put PS3s into PVMs no problem even Euro PAL ones but not sure which iterations they've been on unless 480i/576i is what they've all gone on. Doesn't hurt the eyes as much as s-video 576i but I just want the best of it.. oh well

In my experience, few PVMs support 480p and higher progressive scan modes. Are you sure that yours does? It's not impossible, but it is pretty drat uncommon, and I wouldn't particularly bet the house that it does. You appear to have a JVC BM-H1310SU. You can download a user manual here.

I also have a JVC monitor from about the same timeframe, and its manual specifically says that its SDI standard is SMPTE 259M, which tops out of 480i/576i apparently, so I wouldn't be surprised if your display is limited in the same fashion. The PVMs you might see with PS3s and the like hooked up are likely going to be later models like Sony's PVM20L5 or JVC's DT-V series, since those can potentially handle video frequencies more akin to what the PS3 and the like put out, rather than being limited to 1980s/1990s analog formats.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Minor question, but how do you check what on a N64 memory card? I got a used one today but have no clue how to see what on it. I saw mentions of "holding start when turning on the n64" but doesn't seem to work with a flashcart inserted.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The PVMs you might see with PS3s and the like hooked up are likely going to be later models like Sony's PVM20L5 or JVC's DT-V series, since those can potentially handle video frequencies more akin to what the PS3 and the like put out, rather than being limited to 1980s/1990s analog formats.

so what you're saying is I can hook up my PS3 to this thing? Hum. I never did try anything newer on it.

but if my 360 wants to play nice imma be playin' some mothafuckin' STGs

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 15, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dang, tried out the Gameboy I got a few years ago at a yard sale for five bucks, and while it still works (I got a copy of Tetris for testing) it has a few thick lines toward the bottom that cover up the screen. Probably not going to get a flashcart for this then, even through if I did get a Everdrive GB, I would just get a used Gameboy Color instead.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rirse posted:

Minor question, but how do you check what on a N64 memory card? I got a used one today but have no clue how to see what on it. I saw mentions of "holding start when turning on the n64" but doesn't seem to work with a flashcart inserted.

Use a game with a built in memory card manager. The "holding start" thing only works with games that have a memory card manager in them that will be activated that way.

Perfect Dark is reputed to have the best memory card manager, and you may be able to load that with the hold-start method when you load the game from your flashcart.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

xamphear posted:

This is such a great book, and everyone who wants to understand the NES/Famicom at a more technical level should read it.

Is it though? I have it and I read the first chapter but I was pretty put off by a bunch of technical inaccuracies and at least one gross fabrication:

The Famicom's 6502 clone was in a DIP40 package. The Z80 commonly came in a DIP40 package. All the examples of Z80 systems he gives use it in a DIP40 package. Die size really doesn't have anything to do with the size of the system. And if we're talking about the original Zilog Z80 versus the MOS 6502, I'm pretty sure the Z80's die was actually a bit smaller (I don't know what size the Ricoh 2A03 was). But again that's totally irrelevant to the overall size of the board and case.

There were other errors I can't remember now, maybe I'll read more later. I want to like the book but he is so confident and authoritative here even though he's just pulling stuff out of thin air that I have a hard time trusting him.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Use a game with a built in memory card manager. The "holding start" thing only works with games that have a memory card manager in them that will be activated that way.

Perfect Dark is reputed to have the best memory card manager, and you may be able to load that with the hold-start method when you load the game from your flashcart.

That worked. Ironically the only thing this card had was a Perfect Dark save.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Rirse posted:

Dang, tried out the Gameboy I got a few years ago at a yard sale for five bucks, and while it still works (I got a copy of Tetris for testing) it has a few thick lines toward the bottom that cover up the screen. Probably not going to get a flashcart for this then, even through if I did get a Everdrive GB, I would just get a used Gameboy Color instead.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can fix the gameboy. The ribbon cable to the display is notoriously lovely and the contacts get messed up on it. There's videos on YouTube for how to fix it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lime posted:

Is it though? I have it and I read the first chapter but I was pretty put off by a bunch of technical inaccuracies and at least one gross fabrication:

The Famicom's 6502 clone was in a DIP40 package. The Z80 commonly came in a DIP40 package. All the examples of Z80 systems he gives use it in a DIP40 package. Die size really doesn't have anything to do with the size of the system. And if we're talking about the original Zilog Z80 versus the MOS 6502, I'm pretty sure the Z80's die was actually a bit smaller (I don't know what size the Ricoh 2A03 was). But again that's totally irrelevant to the overall size of the board and case.

There were other errors I can't remember now, maybe I'll read more later. I want to like the book but he is so confident and authoritative here even though he's just pulling stuff out of thin air that I have a hard time trusting him.

Uh, dude, the modified 6502 used in the NES/Famicom used the same package to hold both the CPU and audio processing stuff, while the other systems he's comparing to had to put the sort of audio stuff that's inside the NES CPU package in completely separate chips onboard. Removing a small chip from the system board design means saving the space of not just the chip itself, but any extra traces it needed and so on. He seems to be skipping that this is the reason the smaller die for the CPU was helpful, but he's not incorrect that it allowed for a smaller/cheaper board and consequently a smaller overall console than other systems of the time could be done in.

Attempts to do the same CPU+sound on the same chip design with most Z80 core designs common at the time would have required a larger physical chip than the DIP40 packages used, which would have increased costs and thus lost much of the advantage of combining them.

Rirse posted:

That worked. Ironically the only thing this card had was a Perfect Dark save.

Good to hear that it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I also have a JVC monitor from about the same timeframe, and its manual specifically says that its SDI standard is SMPTE 259M, which tops out of 480i/576i apparently, so I wouldn't be surprised if your display is limited in the same fashion. The PVMs you might see with PS3s and the like hooked up are likely going to be later models like Sony's PVM20L5 or JVC's DT-V series, since those can potentially handle video frequencies more akin to what the PS3 and the like put out, rather than being limited to 1980s/1990s analog formats.

That would be it :ohdear: slowly gotten used to 576i over the evening but it's not pretty, I gotta get something 240p RGB stat

Caitlin posted:

so what you're saying is I can hook up my PS3 to this thing? Hum. I never did try anything newer on it.

but if my 360 wants to play nice imma be playin' some mothafuckin' STGs

RGB to BNC to urgh it's interlaced but oh so CRT-pretty :3::3::3:

Did a few hours of Demon's Souls, the interlacing hurts my eyes but it's so much better than anything

• Locked thread