Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Or get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I haven't played in a while but I look forward to seeing if the new server update makes it harder for hanzos, roadhogs and junkrats to instagib me after blinks/recalls/ults/disappearing behind walls

strong bird
May 12, 2009

:flag:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Protip if you care about your rank: Play solo. Goons are fun and your friends are fun but unless you actually suck or all of your friends are pro and operate as a well oiled machine you'll go way further solo queuing.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

Where do people get the lore from with this game? The character pages on the official website don't say anything about their backstories, and there doesn't seem to be much explicit in-game.

The online comics give a lot of background,
So do the cinematics,
The collectors source book also has a lot of lore.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also I'm pretty sure that the official website does have character bios, or at least it did at one point.

Yep, just checked. On each hero's page there's a tab for story, just click that.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Verranicus posted:

Protip if you care about your rank: Play solo. Goons are fun and your friends are fun but unless you actually suck or all of your friends are pro and operate as a well oiled machine you'll go way further solo queuing.

I've found this to be more or less true. Being better than the solo player on the opposing team, over enough games, seems to be the easiest way for me to rank up.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I went from 40 to 54 in a stack of 3 close friends. If you communicate and work together often with the other your stack there is an advantage over solo queuing. Your objective is to gel together better than the other stack of 3. Your skill level is going to be about the same so your cooperation has to be better. It also means you always have control over enough roles to make sure your team is always well formed. Never have to choose between only tank and only healer.

I found queuing with goons to be all the disadvantage of solo queue with playing against organized teams.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

play Zarya

Zarya can deal damage. She can save teammates from their own stupidity. She can compensate for bad aim by making all the enemies stand still. She can shield herself. She can heal herself by stepping around a corner for a few seconds. She is custom-made for carrying.

Now I'm entirely willing to accept the possibility that I'm bad at Zarya but my experience is that she's a bad solo carry unless you can count on your team to be aggressive (which won't happen until you climb out of the 50s anyway). You don't need your teammates to be good, but you do need them to be out there doing things. If they're corner-peeking Hanamura and don't follow a tank in, your energy building is cut by more than half and you can't be the barbarian queen that carries the plebs to victory.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If they're corner-peeking Hanamura and don't follow a tank in, your energy building is cut by more than half and you can't be the barbarian queen that carries the plebs to victory.

This was my team in solo comp yesterday every time I tried to play Zarya. I'd bubble a road hog as he went for a corner where their entire team was stacked on Hollywood and he'd peek, long shot and zip back behind me.

:negative:

Did manage go from 42 to 50 this weekend (original placement was 47).

Solo comp up to groups of 3 is the way to go. Loading up a 6 man is suicide unless you're all competent enough to work together.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Cornerwatch :smug:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Verranicus posted:

Starting to wonder if this is true after doing competitive with coworkers last night and waking up to a bunch of texts (from one guy) about how we lost because maybe my healing wasn't good enough :q:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

Starting to wonder if this is true after doing competitive with coworkers last night and waking up to a bunch of texts (from one guy) about how we lost because maybe my healing wasn't good enough :q:

It's entirely true.

When comp first rolled out I thought it was best to goon group or group with friends in premade 6-man teams to steamroll comp. Nope. Not unless you know each other and how the other person/people play so that you can work well together. Switching to running solo or duo comp sessions saw my rank increase become a real thing.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Rule of Goon baby.
We don't win things by skill, we do it by numbers.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Commoners posted:

It would be cool if the Bastion announcement was a new foresty map + Sombra.

i really hope they don't pull some kind of "this bastion video was actually a secret sombra reveal the whole time!!" because then nobody will shut up about sombra and all i want is a video about my friend bastion :smith:

there's obviously gonna be some stupid sombra ARG hidden code in it, because they are doing that with all of their videos right now, but i don't want it to overshadow the whole thing.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Has anyone seen any tangible benefit from upgrading their system? Specifically, have any of you been playing on a lower end system and then upgrade and notice an actual MMR or rank gain? The reason I ask is back when I played Quake 1 an upgraded system could make a huge difference. In overwatch the net code seems to give benefits to lower end machines and poor connections.

Which components give the most tangible benefits?
On my definite list is upgrading my HDD to a SDD. I'm going to upgrade my monitor as well.
I'm upgrading anyways to be able to play newer games in higher resolutions at better settings for single player games. Just wondering what kind of a difference a person's system makes in this game.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I imagine a *sync monitor would be the biggest change in terms of the steady FPS. But if you can get something that runs 60+ consistently, you'd be fine too, I guess.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I need to do CPU and RAM upgrades but I doubt I'd see much of an in-game performance boost with those. They're more for streaming capabilities and video editing than anything else.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

cosmicjim posted:

Has anyone seen any tangible benefit from upgrading their system? Specifically, have any of you been playing on a lower end system and then upgrade and notice an actual MMR or rank gain? The reason I ask is back when I played Quake 1 an upgraded system could make a huge difference. In overwatch the net code seems to give benefits to lower end machines and poor connections.

Which components give the most tangible benefits?
On my definite list is upgrading my HDD to a SDD. I'm going to upgrade my monitor as well.
I'm upgrading anyways to be able to play newer games in higher resolutions at better settings for single player games. Just wondering what kind of a difference a person's system makes in this game.

I upgraded my cpu from i3 to i5 and saw the best improvement

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
As long as your computer is capable of maintaining a steady frame rate equal to your monitor's refresh rate in the middle of a busy firefight it shouldn't make any difference to how well you play.

If you're willing to turn everything way down you can probably do that on pretty weak hardware.

EDIT: I've seen people swear that uncapping the frame rate and letting their graphics card churn out 250-300 fps helps them aim better, but that sounds like a placebo effect thing to me.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 15, 2016

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ufarn posted:

I imagine a *sync monitor would be the biggest change in terms of the steady FPS. But if you can get something that runs 60+ consistently, you'd be fine too, I guess.

Yeah, a 144Hz monitor and a framerate to match makes a huge difference, from what I've read.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I used to think 60fps was all anyone needed but after hearing multiple pros swear by 144hz, I knuckled under and got one. Wow, the difference really is night and day.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Can someone explain why this framerate = monitor refresh matters? My monitor is just 60Hz, but i have everything turned down so i get a pretty constant 100 or so in big fights with everything happening. Is it even worth it to do that, or can i turn some settings up a little bit to make things pretty?

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

No, actually. I would hate to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!
Grimey Drawer

pakman posted:

Can someone explain why this framerate = monitor refresh matters? My monitor is just 60Hz, but i have everything turned down so i get a pretty constant 100 or so in big fights with everything happening. Is it even worth it to do that, or can i turn some settings up a little bit to make things pretty?

The monitor only shows a new thing 60 times a second if you have a 60hz monitor, so you won't actually see anything different. The frames just get dumped. If you have a 144hz monitor, that number goes up to 144 fps.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
It really is night and day. I'm aggressively mediocre and still noticed an immediate difference.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Office Sheep posted:

I went from 40 to 54 in a stack of 3 close friends. If you communicate and work together often with the other your stack there is an advantage over solo queuing. Your objective is to gel together better than the other stack of 3. Your skill level is going to be about the same so your cooperation has to be better. It also means you always have control over enough roles to make sure your team is always well formed. Never have to choose between only tank and only healer.

I found queuing with goons to be all the disadvantage of solo queue with playing against organized teams.

I've haven't had an nissue forming a balanced team in comp in weeks, people tend to lock in tanks and healers without needing to be asked. Maybe it's being above 60 and it's worse at lower ranks, but I'd still say solo queue is more consistently better for ranking up than with friends.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
There's a video out there where some guy breaks down the feedback numbers in the more advanced network / hardware display graph that's in-game.

If what he says is true, the game simulation itself is tied to frame rate, so the game moves just that much quicker when you're rocking a higher FPS and higher FPS capable monitor. The lower your FPS, the slower certain response times were, despite logical thought.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Benq 2411z is the monitor I'm about to pull the trigger on. It's a 24" TN panel. I first looked in the SA monitor mega thread and got the impression buying anything other than an $800 IPS panel monitor would give me AIDS. I looked at what pros were using and most of them were using $250-$270 144hz TN panel monitors. The IPS improves viewing angles and color shifting which neither is vital to competitive gaming and more important for video viewing experience as a tv replacement.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I got a 144hz monitor a month ago and it's really loving nice, like cream compared to 1% milk

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

cosmicjim posted:

Benq 2411z is the monitor I'm about to pull the trigger on. It's a 24" TN panel. I first looked in the SA monitor mega thread and got the impression buying anything other than an $800 IPS panel monitor would give me AIDS. I looked at what pros were using and most of them were using $250-$270 144hz TN panel monitors. The IPS improves viewing angles and color shifting which neither is vital to competitive gaming and more important for video viewing experience as a tv replacement.
Don't forget to look on Benq's refurb website. http://www.benqdirect.com/xl2411z-refurb.html Usually a good $50+ cheaper than Amazon and just as good. I saved almost $100 buying refurb there ($240) vs like $330 off Amazon.

I got a XL2430T and while I can say it's a nice improvement--things are definitely more fluid, don't expect to suddenly start being that much helpful unless you're already good/trying to improve and feel more limited by technical delays. I definitely noticed a little bit of improvement and every little advantage is definitely helpful while trying as hard as you can. Think of it more like... protein powder. It's good+helpful when you're actually working out but don't expect sick gains by just drinking protein powder while sedentary.

But yeah, there aren't really any good 144 IPS monitors (unless it's some insane price range). If you're coming from a decent IPS going back down to a TN, be prepared for a noticeble drop in color and angle but as you mentioned that's not that vital to competitive gaming but will be a bit worse when playing something singleplayer like Doom or something. Not that TNs are bad per sebut you'll find colors are pretty washy.

So adjust expectations there as well and be prepared to spend a good hour or so dicking with brightness and gamma and digital vibrance and poo poo so it isn't insanely bright and washed out (took me awhile to set up my XL2430T because it was likes staring into a white hot sun)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ehud posted:

it is, solo queue is better for ranked than going in as a big group. if you don't want to lose every game, 5-6 man groups will screw you every time unless you're like cloud9 or something. even small groups can keep you from where you'd naturally plateau unless your whole group is around the same skill level since everyone has a point where the skill difference makes it impossible for them to contribute anymore

the problem with this is that solo queue is not as fun as playing with your friends, which is why I hardly ever do it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

if you queue with just 1-2 friends it will still match you versus solo queuers so that's probably the optimal way to play ranked.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
is there a professional / semi-pro / popular twitch player named Fishscale?

Guy popped into one of my comp matches last night and the other two in his group eventually got to the point where they were asking me and someone else, "You don't know who he is?!"

"No..."

Most annoying group of people I've encountered in comp so far.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

New Dev update talking about Season 2.

https://youtu.be/Nqh8tnHhIjg

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Now I'm entirely willing to accept the possibility that I'm bad at Zarya but my experience is that she's a bad solo carry unless you can count on your team to be aggressive (which won't happen until you climb out of the 50s anyway). You don't need your teammates to be good, but you do need them to be out there doing things. If they're corner-peeking Hanamura and don't follow a tank in, your energy building is cut by more than half and you can't be the barbarian queen that carries the plebs to victory.

Getting shielded by Zarya encourages people to be more aggressive, if only subconsciously. The biggest thing that makes people mill around like idiots at the archway is fear of taking damage / getting isolated from the team. It might not even be conscious but shielding people helps make them unafraid.

Also, at the level where people are too bad to be properly aggressive, they also tend to suck at aiming and dodging and other mechanical skills, so you can play Zarya more aggressively yourself, which if you do well will inspire others to follow you.

Also sub-55 solo queue Hanamura on offense is just miserable bullshit, you're going to lose totally winnable games on offense due to lack of coordination all the time no matter who you play. Zarya's still a more versatile "do everything" choice than most of the characters in the game.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The graphic for getting shielded isn't very prominent so it's hard to tell when you actually get shielded. You also can't just be like "Oh I'm shielded lets go" because the duration isn't long enough for that. Lassiz has a Zarya tip on his stream that's fairly accurate. You need to find a team retard, the dumb rear end in a top hat who always over extends and needs to be bailed out. Genji's, Roadhogs, Reinhardts and to a lesser extent D.Va are excellent retard magnets.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

pakman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqh8tnHhIjg

These are all good things

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bolow posted:

The graphic for getting shielded isn't very prominent so it's hard to tell when you actually get shielded. You also can't just be like "Oh I'm shielded lets go" because the duration isn't long enough for that. Lassiz has a Zarya tip on his stream that's fairly accurate. You need to find a team retard, the dumb rear end in a top hat who always over extends and needs to be bailed out. Genji's, Roadhogs, Reinhardts and to a lesser extent D.Va are excellent retard magnets.

To clarify, I don't mean making someone think "oh I'm shielded, I should be more aggresive now"

I mean that, without even thinking about it, someone who keep miraculously not dying when they do "stupid" aggressive things will be more aggressive, which is good if aggression is what you need.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

pakman posted:

https://youtu.be/Nqh8tnHhIjg

I love that Blizzard is not afraid to say "this was wrong, here's why, so we're going to fix it this way"

No weasel words, no excuses.

I like these changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The whole video also seems to be a single unedited take. How often do you see that these days?