Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Drowzee is a Unicorn in Atlanta.

Most of those have been from eggs.

Grimer is even rarer. I've seen 1, and that v was a hatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Cartouche posted:

We are not talking about rare high level mons. I have been having strings of break outs and runaways with nice throws on pidgeys that were green circles, and I have been getting high CP uncommon mons with a single normal ball. Breakouts I can handle, but the runaways after wasting berries and higher level balls on uncommons is broken.

edit: If it is an uncommon mon like a ponyta or growlithe I will use berries and better balls just because they are ones I have chosen to pursue/evolve. Eevees pretty much jump into my balls without me even thinking about it. Did I mention gently caress Eevees today yet?

Yea that's how rng works usually.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Spellman posted:

or evolved Pokemon

I have all but ceased even bothering with evolved ones unless it is a comically rare one or a spot I can fill in my pokedex. Not a one I have gotten in the past has had anywhere near worth beyond a piece of candy. Seriously, why is it uneveolved are worth just as much candy as a 1x or 2x evolved or a rare?

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I've probably seen more Drowsees in Chicago than I have Rattatas.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I've seen zero Grimers around Atlanta. My wife saw one.

Plenty of Koffings though. I'm sure that's not a coincidence.

Edit: I just remembered I even caught a wild Weezing outside my office. Air quality not so good!

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 15, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My 10km eggs so far (I'm level 23)

- Chansey
- Eevee
- Pinsir
- Eevee
- Pinsir
- Omanyte
- Eevee
- Electabuzz
- Pinsir

Could be worse, but could definitely be better. I'm just LOUSY with Pinsir Candies.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

pgnexus seems down :(

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

DizzyBum posted:

I've seen zero Grimers around Atlanta. My wife saw one.

Plenty of Koffings though. I'm sure that's not a coincidence.

Edit: I just remembered I even caught a wild Weezing outside my office. Air quality not so good!

I've only seen one Grimer ever in Springfield, MA. When it spawned I heard a few people walk past saying 'eh its only a grimer, that's not even a rare pokemon, I'm sure I'll get another chance to catch one'... Yeahh, good luck with that. Muk is definitely gonna take me a while.

Drowzee's all day long though!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Acadia National Park actually has a ton of gyms, but there is no service at most of them. Bar Harbor has like 5 gyms, was a nice little loop but very quick turnover with all the tourists piling in. Happy to stop over in NJ where I got 6 gyms between the highway and my parents' house that are still mine 12 hours later. Might actually get some decent bonuses for a day or two. Cities might be great for leveling up and catching, but they are poo poo for controlling gyms.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
My 10k eggs so far, I'm level 23.

- jk I haven't seen a single one yet.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
What is the best moveset for magmar?

Also I've hatched 5 lapras out of like 25 10 km eggs at level 24, so I am willing to forgive the complete lack of Eevee here

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Zo posted:

You have to remember that razz, great/ultra balls, great/excellent throws etc are all multiplier bonuses.

So if you're trying to catch something with a base catch rate of 100%, then yes nothing matters obviously. If you're catching something with, say, a 3% catch rate (high level charizard, dragonite etc) then even boosted 2.5x with ultra razz it's still incredibly low.

Anyway getting great throws is really important. It's a 1.5x chance to catch which is equal to razzberry. So if you consistently get great throws, that's basically a free razzberry every time. This stuff has been conclusively confirmed by botters, who exclusively land excellent throws for 2x catch bonus. It was funny when the great/excellent bonuses were broken, bot catch rates dropped to half.

Do you have a link to all of this? This seems super helpful.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Cartouche posted:

We are not talking about rare high level mons. I have been having strings of break outs and runaways with nice throws on pidgeys that were green circles, and I have been getting high CP uncommon mons with a single normal ball. Breakouts I can handle, but the runaways after wasting berries and higher level balls on uncommons is broken.

edit: If it is an uncommon mon like a ponyta or growlithe I will use berries and better balls just because they are ones I have chosen to pursue/evolve. Eevees pretty much jump into my balls without me even thinking about it. Did I mention gently caress Eevees today yet?

Yeah, same experience.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My 10km eggs so far (I'm level 23)

- Chansey
- Eevee
- Pinsir
- Eevee
- Pinsir
- Omanyte
- Eevee
- Electabuzz
- Pinsir

Could be worse, but could definitely be better. I'm just LOUSY with Pinsir Candies.

Substitute some Scythers instead of Pinsers and that's basically what I'm rolling.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't think berries affect capture rates but it's not like it matters since you'll want to berry stuff with low rates anyway

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

WetSpink posted:

My 10k eggs so far, I'm level 23.

- jk I haven't seen a single one yet.

Are you using incubators? I think most players that have got a decent amount of 10ks by the early 20s are probably buying incubators like me.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Currently on a weedle that has broke out 4 times already.

5, 5 loving breakouts in a row.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Dahbadu posted:

Are you using incubators? I think most players that have got a decent amount of 10ks by the early 20s are probably buying incubators like me.

Which makes you buy even more. They likely know who the whales are and the carrot on the stick is made more enticing. I have yet to purchase anything.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Also I've hatched 5 lapras out of like 25 10 km eggs at level 24, so I am willing to forgive the complete lack of Eevee here

Twenty five 10k eggs by level 24? Holy poo poo you're lucky. The 5 Lapras (I've yet to get one) are just icing on the cake.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Dahbadu posted:

Twenty five 10k eggs by level 24? Holy poo poo you're lucky. The 5 Lapras (I've yet to get one) are just icing on the cake.

Well I've also had like 5 onyx and pinsirs each and 4 kabuto so you take the good with the bad

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Ember / Fire Blast for attacking (Flamethrower is fine though)

Ember / Fire Blast or Flamethrower for defending

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Dahbadu posted:

Ember / Fire Blast for attacking

Ember / Fire Blast or Flamethrower for defending

Thanks. While we're on the topic of eggs, I've always gotten a pretty good mix, like 40% 2km, 40% 5 km and 20% 10 km

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cartouche posted:

Which makes you buy even more. They likely know who the whales are and the carrot on the stick is made more enticing. I have yet to purchase anything.

$20 on coins made this feel like an actual game to me. +100 bag capacity and a bunch of incubators were a world of difference. I strongly recommend it unless you're super poor.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Thanks. While we're on the topic of eggs, I've always gotten a pretty good mix, like 40% 2km, 40% 5 km and 20% 10 km

You're an insane outlier for 10k egs. In my experience, and I've gone through a lot, my wife and I have probably hatched close to 300+ eggs combined. I'd say less than 5% of our eggs are 10k and at one point it was close to 2.5%.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Cowslips Warren posted:

AZ goons, what other indoor malls have you found with some good stops? I almost went to Westgate Friday but there was a game, so I skipped it.

I don't know about any good ones, but Tempe marketplace and Paradise valley both suck.

The main strip for downtown mesa is full of stops though, which is nice.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Emanuel Collective posted:

I've probably seen more Drowsees in Chicago than I have Rattatas.

In Chicago, and I have caught a total of 3,000 pokemon. 800 of them are Drowzees. I have caught more Drowzees than Zubats, Pidgeys, Weedles, Rattatas, Caterpies, and Spearow's combined.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I didn't really recognize this until today, but some movesets are better for attack and defending.

In general, slow moves are better for defending while fast moves are better for attacking.

The reason for this:

After the first couple of seconds, defending pokemon pause for 2 seconds between each attack (both quick and specials). So it's 2 seconds + attack animation/speed, e.g. Water Gun has an attack speed of essentially 2.5 seconds instead of 0.5 seconds when used by a defending pokemon. The math works out that heavy hitting slower attacks (such as Zen Headbutt, Steel Wing, Confusion, Bubble etc.) can often do more damage.

For special moves, moves that have a long duration can sometimes be better than a special move that does the most damage. This is because most special moves deal damage over the course of their duration, and if the pokemon dodges, the dodge window can only dodge part of the damage because the duration of the move is longer than the dodge window. This will become important once people get better at dodging, because the only reliable way to hurt an attacking player is through special moves that can't be fully dodged.

Also keep in mind that HP is doubled for defending pokemon, and each pokemon gains about half an energy point for HP lost. So HP sponges soak up more damage, and as a result will have more energy and will be able to use more special moves, which will be the only reliable way to damage players once people get gud.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 15, 2016

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Dahbadu posted:

I didn't really recognize this until today, but some movesets are better for attack and defending.

In general, slow moves are better for defending while fast moves are better for attacking.

The reason for this:

After the first couple of seconds, defending pokemon pause for 2 seconds between each attack (both quick and specials). So it's 2 seconds + attack animation/speed, e.g. Water Gun has an attack speed of essentially 2.5 seconds instead of 0.5 seconds on a defending pokemon. The math works out that heavy hitting slower attacks (such as Zen Headbutt, Steel Wing, Confusion, Bubble etc.) can often do more damage.

For special moves, moves that have a long duration can sometimes be better than a special move that does the most damage. This is because most special moves deal damage over the course of their duration, and if the pokemon dodges, the dodge window can only dodge part of the damage because the duration of the move is longer than the dodge window. This will become important once people get better at dodging, because the only reliable way to hurt an attacking player is through special moves that can't be fully dodged.

Also keep in mind that HP is doubled for defending pokemon, and each pokemon gains about half an energy point for HP lost. So HP sponges soak up more damage, and as a result will have more energy and will be able to use more special moves, which will be the only reliable way to damage players once people get gud.

How does special move charge work for gym defenders? I can never really predict when one is coming, but I also haven't been paying much attention.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

HagridOfTheLibrary posted:

So this is a first. I was trying to put an egg in an incubator and I got a notification to sign in, but the background decided to go all MissingNo. on me and this is what I got.

Anyone else seen something like this happen?

This happened to me but it was a while ago

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Fusion Restaurant posted:

How does special move charge work for gym defenders? I can never really predict when one is coming, but I also haven't been paying much attention.

From what I've read, and I could be wrong:

Energy is generated via:
- Every quick move generates a certain amount of energy. Usually slower quick moves generate more energy. Because defending pokemon have a 2 second delay between their quick moves (imagine if you could tap the screen once every 2 seconds while attacking), they obviously generate energy slower from their quick moves than an attacker.
- Every HP lost instantly translates into about 0.5 energy generated for the pokemon that got hurt. So if a defending Snorlax lost 10 HP from an attack, he would get about 5 energy from it.
- The slower energy generation due to 2 second delays between moves is made up for by the fact the defender has double the HP. As a result, he'll take more damage and gain more energy from it.
- A defending pokemon (i.e. bot) will use its special move as soon as it has enough energy to do so.

Here is a spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12FpF66WUzvDV0_GIlbcwVGQ4PxjLYqSPpqLqWrVchL4/edit#gid=1448409206

Just look at the Quick Moves and Special Moves tab.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 15, 2016

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Dahbadu posted:

From what I've read, and I could be wrong:

Energy is generated via:
- Every quick move generates a certain amount of energy. Usually slower quick moves generate more energy. Because defending pokemon have a 2 second delay between their quick moves (imagine if you could tap the screen once every 2 seconds while attacking), they obviously generate energy slower from their quick moves than an attacker.
- Every HP lost instantly translates into about 0.5 energy generated for the pokemon that got hurt. So if a defending Snorlax lost 10 HP from an attack, he would get about 5 energy from it.
- The slower energy generation due to 2 second delays between moves is made up for by the fact the defender has double the HP. As a result, he'll take more damage and gain more energy from it.
- A defending pokemon (i.e. bot) will use its special move as soon as it has enough energy to do so.

Here is a spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12FpF66WUzvDV0_GIlbcwVGQ4PxjLYqSPpqLqWrVchL4/edit#gid=1448409206

Just look at the Quick Moves and Special Moves tab.

Hmm interesting, so basically the same as attack, just with the gym defender combat behavior! Seems hard to build into a heuristic for knowing when to pause and wait for your enemy to use their special unfortunately :(

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Quick question, incense still has that whole deal where it increases the spawn rate when you're moving. Is that movement still restricted to the whole ~15mph or less deal that eggs are, or is it independent of what speed you're moving? I've got a long car drive in a couple days where I'll be sitting in the passenger seat the whole time, figured I'd see if I could get some good use out of it?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

What the gently caress is going on with my Psyducks attack IVs? Anybody else experiencing anything similar (aside from the rumors about low pokemon # = low attack IV)? I'm pretty bummed since I finally got enough candies for a Golduck walking on the beach last night and it seems pointless to do it with these guys. :smith:

edit: yes I named the first one Snoopduck

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hazo posted:

What the gently caress is going on with my Psyducks attack IVs? Anybody else experiencing anything similar (aside from the rumors about low pokemon # = low attack IV)? I'm pretty bummed since I finally got enough candies for a Golduck walking on the beach last night and it seems pointless to do it with these guys. :smith:

Certain wild-caught Pokemon almost always have a very low Attack IV. The starter trio, for example, seem to have a 0 Attack well over half the time. The trend seems related to how low or high the Pokedex number is. Eevee and Dratini have 13+ Attack IVs well over half the time.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Hazo posted:

Try to hatch one. Though I think you can occasionally find decent Psyducks in the wild.

Can't remember if the Psyduck that I evolved into a Golduck was from an egg or a wild one, but I decided he was good enough to evolve.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Heard it through the grapevine that people using IV checkers are being banned, any truth to this?

I'll admit to using Advisor a few times, and pgnexus once, but it turns out I only care about filling my Pokedex and not really battling anyway

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Heard it through the grapevine that people using IV checkers are being banned, any truth to this?

Sure hope not. What grapevine is that?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Cartouche posted:

Sure hope not. What grapevine is that?

The completely unsubstantiated but still concerning Reddit vine. It's possible spoofers are trying to cover their asses, I guess.

Nowa
Mar 20, 2006

...a gulliver of dreams.
This Drowzee game is a fun game:

Regularly have 3 on my screen at any one-time. "Sightings" is usually 3-6 Drowzees.

Edit: I also sincerely hope a banwave is coming. I'm tired of the local gyms all being controlled by level 30something VIAGRADICK with 3k CP Lapras, Dragonite, Snorlax, etc.

Nowa fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Nowa posted:

Edit: I also sincerely hope a banwave is coming. I'm tired of the local gyms all being controlled by level 30something VIAGRADICK with 3k CP Lapras, Dragonite, Snorlax, etc.
Yeah, those bans are already happening, at least.

• Locked thread