Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Chillyrabbit posted:

Dropped my Samsung tab s 8.4 a little too hard, now the screen is bleeding black and purple. Seems to be a total write off.

Now I'm in the market for a new tablet since they stopped selling the tab s 8.4. :argh:

My main uses for it was:
  • an easy to use, portable device when I'm away from my computer with a bigger screen then my phone.
  • Ebooks
  • Comics (so around an 8"+ inch screen is nice)
  • Viewing construction drawings (big pdf's) that I download from dropbox.
  • expandable storage, Comics/manga/pdf's take up a fair amount of space and I have a 128gb micro sd card, so support for up to that size would be nice.

Looking at the nvidia shield k1 or the samsung tab s2 8.0. Anyone have any experience they want to chime in with?

I just got a Tab S2 9.7. Liking it so far coming from a Nexus 10; it's lovely and light, and as zippy as I could hope for. Has a little Samsung bloatware, but I got the slightly older version, which means it runs Android 5.0, which means I can root it. My only complaint is I can't get a custom recovery to stick - oh and no expandable storage, but that's not exactly unusual these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

You just listed two pros and four cons - are you sure you like it?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Chillyrabbit posted:

Dropped my Samsung tab s 8.4 a little too hard, now the screen is bleeding black and purple. Seems to be a total write off.

Now I'm in the market for a new tablet since they stopped selling the tab s 8.4. :argh:

My main uses for it was:
  • an easy to use, portable device when I'm away from my computer with a bigger screen then my phone.
  • Ebooks
  • Comics (so around an 8"+ inch screen is nice)
  • Viewing construction drawings (big pdf's) that I download from dropbox.
  • expandable storage, Comics/manga/pdf's take up a fair amount of space and I have a 128gb micro sd card, so support for up to that size would be nice.

Looking at the nvidia shield k1 or the samsung tab s2 8.0. Anyone have any experience they want to chime in with?

I was literally in this exact situation, with almost exactly these criteria (the exception being the large PDFs) and I ended up going with the Shield, primarily due to the low price ($200, new). I felt the S2 didn't demonstrate a significant enough performance increase over the Shield to justify being double the price and I was turned off by the 4:3 aspect ratio, so I figured the Shield would get me along for a year or two until the S3 or a better Nexus is released.

The main differences I've noticed are the quality of the screen (which is by no means bad on the Shield, just not phenomenal) and the size of the device (it's quite a bit thicker and heavier). Comics read very well and if you set it so the default Android UI automatically hides itself, the viewable area seems pretty much the same. I do like that there's more room on the sides of the screen to grip the device and the front facing speakers are loud and pretty good for music. On the negative side of things, the wireless radio isn't quite as strong (which may not be that big a deal if your AP is close) and the performance is noticeably worse in the few mobile games I've played (Marvel Puzzle Quest and Simpsons Tapped Out).

Edit: the expandable storage took a little bit to figure out how to configure (the menus are really obtuse), but I was able to set it up so the 128GB MicroSD card is device storage and pretty much all my apps, games and media have been running fine off of it.

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 27, 2016

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

sharkytm posted:

Minus all the page jumping, glitchy graphics, random jumps to the desktop... yeah, looks greeeeaaaaatttt. :v:

For a college environment, I'd say you actually are right, a Surface would be a good option. The pen integration is actually useful, and the tablet has some balls if you need to crunch some numbers. There are even docks that let you run ethernet, multi-mon, and have a bunch of USB ports for an honest mouse and keyboard... so your desktop may not even be necessary.

I'm fairly certain that guys just an idiot - although it took a few minutes of squinting at my phone to determine if Daimo was taking the piss.

Went for an i5 SP4 from an amazon seller - it never turned up and now they've vanished from amazon. I did rather think Amazon had stuff in place to stop shady fucks like that. Time to test their buyer protection and claims cover.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Daimo posted:

You just listed two pros and four cons - are you sure you like it?

Probably. Bloatware is nullified by being able to root the device, and not many devices have expandable storage so he doesn't count that as a con. So really, we're looking at 2 pros and 2 cons, and I'd certainly view having a quick and enjoyable user experience (something you use all the time) to be much more important than custom recovery (something seldom or never used).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

Probably. Bloatware is nullified by being able to root the device, and not many devices have expandable storage so he doesn't count that as a con. So really, we're looking at 2 pros and 2 cons, and I'd certainly view having a quick and enjoyable user experience (something you use all the time) to be much more important than custom recovery (something seldom or never used).

Yes, having root is a pro precisely because I could thus remove the bloatware. :sun:

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm fairly certain that guys just an idiot - although it took a few minutes of squinting at my phone to determine if Daimo was taking the piss.

If you're calling me an idiot I was actually trying to be helpful finding that video. Recommending windows 10 was obviously sarcasm though.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Daimo posted:

If you're calling me an idiot I was actually trying to be helpful finding that video. Recommending windows 10 was obviously sarcasm though.

Oh no I meant the guy in the video who was hitting all the wrong buttons with his palm.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

More of a general question: are there Android tablets with memory speeds akin to an SSD?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm considering getting a cheap tablet. I already have a Macbook, so I don't intend to use it for more than ebook reading and maybe a bit of web browsing. Thinking about the Amazon Fire cause it's dirt cheap and looks functional enough. Is there a better option?

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I'm going on a flight to Europe this October and I'm looking for a tablet to keep me busy. I need it to have a USB port for a controller, and I'd like it to run Android if possible. Under $200 is a real plus. I'm mostly looking for something that can run emulators. SNES is good and all, but psx/n64 would be ideal. I was going to get an Nvidia Shield tablet but it looks like they're sold out. Does anyone know of something comparable, or if they restock pretty regularly?

edit: also portability is not an issue, I'd like the screen to be as large as possible but I understand I'm probably not going to do better than 8"

SoR Blaze fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 4, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The shield is probably refreshing soon (the new one just passed the FCC), but who knows if it'll be by October.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
So I know nothing about tablets, but my wife just dropped and broke her 13" MacBook Air and I'm wondering if maybe a tablet is a better option for replacing it. She has a work laptop (MacBook Pro) so it's possible she doesn't really need another.

The MBA was mostly used to chromecast Netflix and videos from other chrome tabs; browse Facebook and buzzfeed; and sometimes to finish up work in a lighter laptop that consists of research, some lightweight spreadsheets, and some heavy-ish duty MS PowerPoint presentations. File storage not really an issue, she all up in that Dropbox.

1. Is a tablet a favorable/feasible option for a full replacement here, or should we just stick with a laptop for that?

2. She could theoretically keep her work stuff to her work laptop if that's just not doable on tablet, but ideally there would be other benefits to buying a tablet. In general, what are the things that tablets do better than laptops? Convenience seems to be the most commonly cited benefit -- but is a wifi-only IPad Air (for example) that much more convenient than an MBA?

3. Assuming we stick with Apple devices: is it better to wait until it's September, when new models supposedly will come out, to get a replacement? Between her work laptop and my personal laptop we could probably make due til then.

4. Any recommendations for cheaper but high quality non-Apple devices worth investigating are also very welcome.

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 9, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sounds like a Surface 3 might be a good scenario for her.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The main benefits of tablets are portability, battery life, and ease of use. My iPad Pro lasts much longer than my MacBook Pro doing similar sorts of tasks. They really are more convenient than a laptop, unless you stick it in some massive keyboard case or whatever (and even then unless you get the big iPad Pro).

As for her specific uses, an iPad Pro (either size) would likely do most or all of it, though I haven't used the Office apps for it, and I think you need an Office 365 subscription. "Heavy" Powerpoint might be pushing it a bit, and I really doubt a Surface 3 would be a whole lot better beyond running the full desktop app.

The only things really worth mentioning other than Apple stuff right now is the Chrome Pixel C, the Surface 3, or the Surface Pro 4, none of which are particularly cheaper, though the Surfaces are a bit more functional.

As for waiting, hard to say. I haven't seen any rumors about new iPads, and the 9.7" Pro isn't even a year old yet. If anything, I'd say get that and don't bother waiting.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Has anyone tried enabling encryption on the Kindle Fire now that it's been patched back in? How badly does it impact performance?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Any tablet smartypants have a alternative for the NVidia Shield K1? After seeing reviews/videos of it and seeing that $200, I thought I finally made up my mind, but that thing is nowhere to be found and NVidia won't say anything about it.

$200 is my breaking point, can't go any farther. I just need something to replace my notebook which just poo poo the bed, and that really means a new device to browse the forums, youtube, twitch, netflix, etc.

I did go over the OP but it seems like if I go cheap on the Samsung tablets I'm gonna regret it, and I don't care for IPads in general.

e: this situation in general sucks, really wanted the Shield

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Any tablet smartypants have a alternative for the NVidia Shield K1? After seeing reviews/videos of it and seeing that $200, I thought I finally made up my mind, but that thing is nowhere to be found and NVidia won't say anything about it.

$200 is my breaking point, can't go any farther. I just need something to replace my notebook which just poo poo the bed, and that really means a new device to browse the forums, youtube, twitch, netflix, etc.

I did go over the OP but it seems like if I go cheap on the Samsung tablets I'm gonna regret it, and I don't care for IPads in general.

e: this situation in general sucks, really wanted the Shield

At that price point, you are pretty much going to go Kindle Fire or a used tablet from a year or two ago that was good at that time. I know that Amazon has their Fire HD 10's on sale for $180. That should do everything you need. If you are invested in the Google Play store, though, it'll suck as you need to rebuilt your library.

Also, you should look into your cell carrier if the $200 is a hard wall limit as you can get pretty good (and some truly terrible, research your choices!) tablets for $20-$30/month on the installment plans.

Arsten fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 11, 2016

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Halp, my 4.5 year old iPad 3 is dying (random reboots, horrible performance) and I'm starting a new job next week (teaching) for which I desperately need an iPad (I do all my presentations in Keynote and sync them via iCloud). So I guess I need a new one, but I haven't really followed the iPad world for quite a while. Are the iPad Minis still nerfed poo poo? The Pros seem horribly expensive. I don't want to shell out too much for this crap, I really only need an iPad as a nifty presentation tool, my iPhone 6 Plus is large and fast enough to take care of my other mobile needs.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Wengy posted:

Halp, my 4.5 year old iPad 3 is dying (random reboots, horrible performance) and I'm starting a new job next week (teaching) for which I desperately need an iPad (I do all my presentations in Keynote and sync them via iCloud). So I guess I need a new one, but I haven't really followed the iPad world for quite a while. Are the iPad Minis still nerfed poo poo? The Pros seem horribly expensive. I don't want to shell out too much for this crap, I really only need an iPad as a nifty presentation tool, my iPhone 6 Plus is large and fast enough to take care of my other mobile needs.

There might be a refresh soon, but if you need one right the gently caress now, go buy an iPad Air at whatever store you want.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

There might be a refresh soon, but if you need one right the gently caress now, go buy an iPad Air at whatever store you want.

Dang I guess I'll have to make to with a last-gen one for now... Maybe I can snag a used one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wengy posted:

In terms of performance, they're ordered like this:

iPad Pro 12.9"
iPad Pro 9.7" (has half the RAM of the larger model)
iPad Air 2
iPad mini 4 (has one fewer core than the iPad Air 2, but otherwise the same)
iPad Air, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3 (these all use the same internals, though the mini 3 has TouchID)

You shouldn't consider anything older, and I'd mostly recommend against those bottom ones unless you find a really good deal.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Whats a good writing stylus for the iPad Air 2? I have the Pencil by 53 which works well for drawing, but the stylus only does the palm-rejection with their own app and their app only works in landscape mode. Ideally the stylus would work with the Notes app.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nothing will work like that with the Notes app on an iPad Air 2, since palm-rejection is dependent on the app, and Apple only has it in their apps on Pros.

The Adonit Jot might be better for notetaking, but you'll still likely need to buy an app to use it the way you want.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Quick question. I used to have a cheap tablet, a refurbished Nexus 7. We used it for light web browsing, video streaming and mainly as a remote control for the Chromecast/xbmc.

I'm looking to get something else along those lines for cheap. Is there a trustworthy place for refurbs, or any specific recommendations?

I assume the Fire isn't a good option due to it not having the Google Play store for chromecast support.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Go RV! posted:

Quick question. I used to have a cheap tablet, a refurbished Nexus 7. We used it for light web browsing, video streaming and mainly as a remote control for the Chromecast/xbmc.

I'm looking to get something else along those lines for cheap. Is there a trustworthy place for refurbs, or any specific recommendations?

I assume the Fire isn't a good option due to it not having the Google Play store for chromecast support.

Assuming you are in the US, order of places to look for refurbished tablets: Fry's, Microcenter, NewEgg, Amazon, Best Buy (Don't actually shop best buy unless you have no other options). A refurbished Nexus 7, if you still swing that way, is $80 on NewEgg.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Yeah, that'll do. I don't have a Fry's or a Microcenter near me, and that one at Newegg seems a fair price. Thanks!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Is Samsung going to be coming out with a new Galaxy Tab S2, or successor to it any time soon?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

The Bananana posted:

Is Samsung going to be coming out with a new Galaxy Tab S2, or successor to it any time soon?

a quick google search answered my own question. new Tab S3 is just around the corner, purported to be launching in September. Cant decide if I should get an S2 on the cheap, or pony up for the new toy. hmm...

any suggestions or opinions?

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

So which of the million cheap 7-8" Android tablets is the least worst? The Shield is forever sold out, and wait times are in the months range to get one here (Canadia), so I figure I'll just make do, now that my N7 is dead. Just the usual web browsing, occasional netflix, and book/pdf reading is what I'm expecting to use it for.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably whatever the best Kindle Fire HDX you can afford is.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

rizzen posted:

So which of the million cheap 7-8" Android tablets is the least worst? The Shield is forever sold out, and wait times are in the months range to get one here (Canadia), so I figure I'll just make do, now that my N7 is dead. Just the usual web browsing, occasional netflix, and book/pdf reading is what I'm expecting to use it for.

There are a couple of shield K1's kicking around on Kijiji, but if you want a new one its going to be tough. MemoryExpress Calgary SE supposedly has 2 in stock but I'm guessing they won't ship it out as the online store is out. I could offer buying it in store and shipping it to you if you really want it. I would only charge price + Shipping.

EDIT: OR maybe call them up and see if you can buy the one's they have in store from them.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

There are a couple of shield K1's kicking around on Kijiji, but if you want a new one its going to be tough. MemoryExpress Calgary SE supposedly has 2 in stock but I'm guessing they won't ship it out as the online store is out. I could offer buying it in store and shipping it to you if you really want it. I would only charge price + Shipping.

EDIT: OR maybe call them up and see if you can buy the one's they have in store from them.

Thanks for the offer, but rather than jumping through hoops to get a Shield, I think I'll just try a cheaper Zenpad or something. By the that, or whatever dies, hopefully the market for small form tablets isn't as bad as it is now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The (small tablet) market is probably hosed for good.

Chrome books running Android, giant phones competing in a similar form factor, razor thin margins....

Honestly I really do love the nexus 7. I'm babying mine and trying to make it last as log as possible.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Rumor has it Google is announcing a new Nexus 7 in November.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It would be nice. I'd probably buy the second generation of it. Google just needs 7 and 9s. No eights and maybe tens.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

After owning a Shield K1, I disagree: eight is a fantastic size.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Honestly the Surface 3 has the best size for a tablet, but I wish Windows 10 worked better with it in a portrait configuration. Being able to pin to top half/bottom half would be great.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
E: Need is taken care of, nevermind!

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

My google nexus 7 (2013) has finally crapped out. Anyone have any suggestions for an economical replacement?