Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

JollyPubJerk posted:

severance is a big thing that's taken pretty seriously if you have a respectable career

Didn't your career use to be announcing Heroes of Newerth games from your grandmother's basement until you got laughed out of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Eldred posted:

Didn't your career use to be announcing Heroes of Newerth games from your grandmother's basement until you got laughed out of that?

As curious as I am about that, here is an imgur poo poo show:

http://imgur.com/gallery/8wytV

tl;dr: dude is living with his aunt for ~reasons~ when she seizes all his stuff, including a $5000 PC, and he's taking her to court on Aug 26 with the impression he'll be able to win and/or collect $15k.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

quote:

So I went to mommys with a car load of things, and the next morning called GameStop and had them email me my purchase history

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

NancyPants posted:

tl;dr: dude is living with his aunt for ~reasons~ when she seizes all his stuff, including a $5000 PC, and he's taking her to court on Aug 26 with the impression he'll be able to win and/or collect $15k.

The biggest shame of the internet is that we'll never get the full story

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Renegret posted:

The biggest shame of the internet is that we'll never get the full story

Nah we totally will.

"I went to court and the judge was like 'Due your aunt is a oval office' and then she tried to turn her hair into snakes and turn the judge to stone and i chopped her head off with the highlander sword and then an eagle flew in the room and awarded me not just the 15000 dollars but a gold medal for badassery and then everyone stood up and clapped but i had to agree to seal the court records so thanks for following everyone."

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

NancyPants posted:

There's so much stdh.txt in that post. Yeah, the cop "kicked the door smooth off the hinges and kindly reminded her I'm allowed to come and go as I please to get my things for the next 45 days"

pathetic little tramp posted:

Nah we totally will.

"I went to court and the judge was like 'Due your aunt is a oval office' and then she tried to turn her hair into snakes and turn the judge to stone and i chopped her head off with the highlander sword and then an eagle flew in the room and awarded me not just the 15000 dollars but a gold medal for badassery and then everyone stood up and clapped but i had to agree to seal the court records so thanks for following everyone."

Exactly

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pathetic little tramp posted:

Nah we totally will.

I'm more referring to his aunt's side of the story where the evil OP was a lazy slob who did nothing but sit at home and played video games all day, stole money out of her wallet, damaged the house, and was six months behind on rent.

But your post made me laugh so thank you for that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Today is terrible relative day:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4xo6jw/mother_in_law_who_doesnt_know_how_to_manage_money/ posted:

Mother in law who doesn't know how to manage money and has large amount of debt (self.personalfinance)

My mother in law has always been terrible with money. She declared bankruptcy about 10 years ago but still has over $130k in student loan debt. She also has a small (~$1000) amount of credit card debt. Since her bankruptcy she has been holding jobs off and on with inlays between a few hundred and a couple of thousand dollars a month. She has a propensity to spend any money that she has on hand. When she goes on vacation she aims to get on her return flight with close to $0 cash on hand.

My wife and I (with two very young kids) are lucky enough to have an upper middle class life and income. We have been supporting her sporadically but the amounts have been going up every year. Last year we bought her a car for $10,000 dollars because the old one was unreliable. She on top of it insisted on donating her old car to charity. This year we have given her a few thousand dollars to pay for rent, groceries, and a trip to take care of her other children.
We are thinking of ways to help to her out without become liable for debts or to worsen her profligacy.

Some of the solutions that we are thinking of:
-Paying her rent directly. This would mean that she always has a roof over her head but would contain her ability to increase her debt.
-Giving her a monthly stipend to cover living expenses. Let her figure out how to manage money.
-Having her move in with us.

I am mainly worried that some how we would become legally liable for her debts by supporting her.

Any other advice on dealing with the situation, especially her profligacy and enormous student loan debt, would be useful.

Edit: Thanks for all the replies regarding the liability of debt issue. We are very relieved that we won't somehow get trapped into paying that off.

Not supporting her is not an option. Her other children are not able to financially support her. If we didn't support her she would be on the streets and that is clearly not an option. She is 60 and I am sure in ten years time we will either be paying for a nursing home or her living with us, so at this point I feel that we have to manage the situation until that point.

quote:

We pay for her vacations, which are visits to her children. Her other kids are not remotely in a place to help her. We give them some small financial support as well.

Too bad "buy a time machine, go back to her 20s, and kick some sense into her while she's still able to learn" is not an option.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Just something funny I saw in the comments on that post:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Renegret posted:

I'm more referring to his aunt's side of the story where the evil OP was a lazy slob who did nothing but sit at home and played video games all day, stole money out of her wallet, damaged the house, and was six months behind on rent.

But your post made me laugh so thank you for that.

This is probably the case.

It's almost as likely that auntie is of the "I let you sleep under my roof, so I'm entitled to everything you own" persuasion. This is a pretty standard tactic of abusers. See also the, "I work hard so it's ok that I neglect my children to get blackout drunk five nights a week," and "I pay for everything for my kids, it's ok if I open credit cards in their name, they owe me," arguments.

Everything about that post screams dysfunctional family.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

lol @ the last several posts

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Haifisch posted:

Too bad "buy a time machine, go back to her 20s, and kick some sense into her while she's still able to learn" is not an option.

Divorce might be a cheaper option than bankrolling his wife's family for 20+ years IMO

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
BWM In-Laws deliver yet again :(

I have posted about them before, basically they have close to no understanding of how to manage their money, which they have never had very much of due to 8 kids on a mostly single income. They purchased a rental 'investment' property in the early 00's but went in with so little capital that the rental payments did not cover the mortgage on it, let alone rates/insurance/maintenance etc. We finally persuaded them to sell the place and they got a small but tidy sum of money from it. At the same time, my father in law was made redundant at 70 and retired, getting a modest redundancy compensation sum. My in-laws had no retirement savings and were relying entirely on the very small state pension and my MIL apparently working 20 hours in a supermarket for the rest of her life. You'd think this influx of about $250k should help them sort out their retirement, right?

Wrong! So far they've clocked up 1 overpriced tour of Europe down with 2 more planned, $50k of house 'upgrades', and they made the decision to transfer the remainder of the cash into their normal account so it is 'available to use' because they're 'so broke'. They're spending like they won the lottery and have zero comprehension that they're going to be even more hosed when the money is gone. I went back to university so we don't have the cash to bail them out anymore, so now we get to watch them go down in financial flames over the next couple of years. Fun.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It's sad to read but heaps of people spend a lot of money during retirement. Including a car that is supposed to last their entire retirement and so on. Hopefully they don't end up surviving on dog food in a couple of years.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
On the bright side they are so practiced at being poor they are actually pretty good at surviving off not a lot - my MIL can magic up food out of nothing. But the whole idea of selling the house was that they would get the equivalent $$ per week from interest etc than what they would could have expected from the rental income (less all the associated expenses), so they wouldn't HAVE to live off nothing. I guess it has just proven beyond all doubt that their understanding of cash is limited to a boom/bust cycle of spend what you have when you have it. They have faith that God will handle the rest.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Haifisch posted:

aww man, my wife could have posted that :smith:

(the situation is nearly identical, except we don't give her money, but just save up a budget line-item for the inevitable emergency, while we fret and hand-wring from afar.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Tamarillo posted:

On the bright side they are so practiced at being poor they are actually pretty good at surviving off not a lot - my MIL can magic up food out of nothing. But the whole idea of selling the house was that they would get the equivalent $$ per week from interest etc than what they would could have expected from the rental income (less all the associated expenses), so they wouldn't HAVE to live off nothing. I guess it has just proven beyond all doubt that their understanding of cash is limited to a boom/bust cycle of spend what you have when you have it. They have faith that God will handle the rest.

I read somewhere that living poor for a long time completely changes your mentality in regards to money, and that 'saving it for a rainy day' is one of those things that just won't make the cut if you ever get a windfall because you're locked into the idea that every cent you get must be spent NOW NOW NOW to survive the next day.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Poor people spend any money they get because that way they get the benefit; otherwise it is simply taken away by bills or whatever. And there are always bills and debts for a poor person so they can't get over that barrier.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm watching Olympic horse dancing. The current rider is dancing the horse to the soundtrack to Rudy. The commentators said she worked as a hairdresser to support the horse (which he had forever) because she had to follow her dream of moving to Europe and becoming a horse dancer. :signings:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm watching Olympic horse dancing. The current rider is dancing the horse to the soundtrack to Rudy. The commentators said she worked as a hairdresser to support the horse (which he had forever) because she had to follow her dream of moving to Europe and becoming a horse dancer. :signings:

I hope next time they have to cut a sport from the Olympics they get rid of wrestling so horse dancing can stay.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Get rid of wrestling? Blasphemy. Slaughter all horses.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

http://mcmansionhell.tumblr.com/

This whole tumblr is an amazing collection BWM McMansions that will fall apart in a decade. Trashy taste is BWM.

Sepherothic fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 15, 2016

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Simultaneous gwm and bwm: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/house-investment-wealth-1.3716641

$1mil between two people retiring in their mid-30s doesn't quite work

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

If they can fight lifestyle creep, it could work out.

quote:

They live on $30,000 to $40,000 a year, money that largely comes from dividend payments generated from their stock portfolio.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

DuckConference posted:

Simultaneous gwm and bwm: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/house-investment-wealth-1.3716641

$1mil between two people retiring in their mid-30s doesn't quite work
It does if they're only spending 30-40k a year (which is what they say in the article). The trinity study says a 4% withdrawal rate is fine, not to mention they could always pick up a little extra work if they ever thought they were heading in the wrong direction. e:f;b

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I'm very curious what type of studio they have. To me that would be a unfun living situation, but if they like it, good for them!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moana posted:

It does if they're only spending 30-40k a year (which is what they say in the article). The trinity study says a 4% withdrawal rate is fine, not to mention they could always pick up a little extra work if they ever thought they were heading in the wrong direction. e:f;b

They mention they are picking up occasional freelance work, and they could pretty much just spend that income freely. They are ultra-GWM.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
We need a spectrum definition for this thread of Ultra-BWM to Ultra-GWM and all the minutia in between.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

VendaGoat posted:

We need a spectrum definition for this thread of Ultra-BWM to Ultra-GWM and all the minutia in between.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

quote:

They married in 2010 and then took the next step: house hunting.

They say they had managed to save $500,000 by working hard and living modestly.

By late 2014, Shen and Leung say they doubled their money to $1 million.
Doubling? +500k in 4 years?! The article implies it was all from investments but there's just no way. This doesn't add up.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Bhodi posted:

Doubling? +500k in 4 years?! The article implies it was all from investments but there's just no way

Well, considering the S&P 500 is up ~86% in the past 5 years not counting dividends that's not crazy at all. If you had 500k invested and just left it alone it would have nearly doubled in the past 4 years.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Bad With Money, also Bad With Morality: Abusing your girlfriend while allowing her to manage all the household payments because you can't be bothered, thus making it easy for her to kick your violent rear end to the curb. I also posted this in the Schadenfraude thread.

I'm sure this reddit post will be deleted soon so I copied it: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4xu0yy/my_girlfriend_elaborately_made_me_homeless/

"My girlfriend elaborately made me homeless"

quote:

Two years ago my girlfriend and I had a small DV incident where I hit her. It was wrong of me. I completely owned it and apologized. I was incensed about something I found on her phone but that is absolutely not excuse. She left for a few days but didn't call the cops. She eventually came back home. We finished out our lease and things were fine. We even moved to a better apartment earlier this year with the same landlord. My girlfriend insisted on handling the lease and making all the payments on everything, which is fine. I gave her the money for my half of the bills and keep asking her when I needed to sign the lease with her. She said there was no need and that the landlord hadn't required it.

We were given permission to change the locks because the last tenant hadn't returned a key. I was suppose to help coordinate that but my girlfriend offered to schedule the appointment with the landlord's guy that was suppose to do that.

Things were fine in our new place for a few months but recently we have had a few spats. Nothing like two years ago. I never hit her again.
This morning when I left for work, everything seemed fine but I got a call from a lawyer friend of hers informing me that I had 45 days to move out of the apartment. I try to call her and can't. I'm blocked on her phone. I leave work and go home and find her car gone and all her stuff gone. I call the landlord and he tells me that he had no idea I was living there, the lease is under her name only, only she signed it. He says that he isn't my landlord, she is and I need to talk to her.

I call the lawyer back and he reiterates that I am a month to month subleaser and she has given me 45 days notice to find another place. He says she will continue to pay the rent but I am not to contact her or try to contact her. He gives me an official date to be out and that I should be served with a notice today by 12(noon) stating everything he just said.

He said the locks would be changed at the end of 45 days and that I would need to do a walk-through with him to make sure there is no damage.

He is saying that I could be liable for any damage and that someone of my girlfriend's choosing would be given a key to check on the property but that I would be given notice of that check.

He is saying I need to have the power and internet turned on in my name today. He didn't say that the power or internet would be shut off, but can they do that?

I have no idea what to do or where to go. This is my home.

I have some questions to what my rights are in the this situation.

Is she even allowed to have a lawyer do this for her? Do I have to do a walk-through with the lawyer? Can they just change the locks? Can I be charged for any damage? He didn't mention paying my half of the rent to her, am I required to do that? Can I leave now? Would I be liable for the remainder of the rent?

Can she just do this?

The lawyer also stated that any attempt to contact her could result in the police being called. Could I get arrested?

All my stuff is here and untouched so I am not missing anything.

I am in the state of Arkansas. Northeast. I am not sure if she is planning on moving back into the apartment after I am forced to leave. I'd like to avoid that.

Do I need to get a lawyer here?

His later posts:

quote:

Is there no recourse for her doing this so elaborately. I would have signed the lease if I had known. She implied my name was on it.
It is pretty hard to find an affordable apartment in this area. I don't make that much money. I'll likely be living in my car after the 45 days.

quote:

I didn't agree to pay any rent is writing. We had an informal agreement we would just split everything, utilities, rent, food, etc.

quote:

It has been 2 years [since he hit her]. She could have left right after that. Not played me for 2 years and then elaborately left me in a bind.

quote:

I did it that one time two years ago. I admit to that. But she is jumpy and overreacts a lot. We were having a disagreement [last week] and she panicked and overreacted. The police who came out found no evidence of abuse because I don't abuse her. They just asked me to leave so we could both calm down. I asked her then if she wanted me to leave permanently, she said no.

Honestly, there's too many awful ones for me to post. You should just read all his posts here yourself: https://www.reddit.com/user/tumanityaway

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Guinness posted:

Well, considering the S&P 500 is up ~86% in the past 5 years not counting dividends that's not crazy at all. If you had 500k invested and just left it alone it would have nearly doubled in the past 4 years.
I must be missing the wave because my investments look nowhere near that, it also said they had a 60/40 split

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

God you're just such a jumpy irrational girl, assuming your known abusive boyfriend being abusive means he's abusive!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bhodi posted:

I must be missing the wave because my investments look nowhere near that, it also said they had a 60/40 split

Well, they were clearly saving more money as time went on, probably north of $100k a year. In that light, their investments actually did pretty poorly to only go $500k to $1mm.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

God you're just such a jumpy irrational girl, assuming your known abusive boyfriend being abusive means he's abusive!

I'd like to see the other half of that post, probably in r/relationships, where she details exactly how he acts and the posters there lay out the exact plan she did for maximum safe exit for her/hosed over for him.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bhodi posted:

Well I mean, if 60% of their $500k ($300,000) was in the S&P500 in 2010, it was at ~1,100/share. Currently that's 2,191, so they're up to $600,000 + whatever their bonds were worth.

Assuming no bond growth at all, they got to $800,000 without contributing an extra penny. Anything they saved in 2011, 2012, and 2013 would have appreciated by a very large amount as well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
All my vanguard target funds are shielding me from the glory that is the 25% return per year, I guess. I think the 5 year was listed at 7%? I'm the BWM I guess; my overall since inception is under 4%

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 15, 2016

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Bhodi posted:

All my vanguard target funds are shielding me from the glory that is the 25% return per year, I guess. I think the 5 year was listed at 7%?

The target 2040-2050 funds are all about 36% international, which is poo poo and has been poo poo for the same 5 year time period (only up ~5%).

Vanguard 2050 is still up ~50% in the past 5 years, though.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bhodi posted:

All my vanguard target funds are shielding me from the glory that is the 25% return per year, I guess. I think the 5 year was listed at 7%?

TR2055 was 19.64 on August 20, 2010, and it's 33.14 on August 12, 2016. That's up 69%, which is about 30% inferior to the S&P500's up 99%.

Coincidentally, TR2055 is 30% International Stock!

You're still doing really well; you just didn't perform as well as a "Only bought the winner" portfolio because you have a balanced portfolio that should perform better in the long run.

• Locked thread