Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

"Oh you went to the doctor? What did they say?" - you're right, checks out.

"Oh you went to the doctor? What did xir say?" - Bullshit (Lol a genderqueer doctor!)

"This is my friend Cam, they studies Womyn and Gender studies" - Bullshit

"This is my friend Cam, Xir studies Womyn and Gender studies" - Unsurprising, still nonsense.

and every linguist just snorts and rolls their eyes at this just so you know

language is fluid as gently caress and changes all the time and lol if you think English somehow is the final arbiter of what pronouns exist (other languages even have all their words gendered so you can mis-gender a WORD even haha!)

also it sounds like you care too much about it smoke a bowl imo and stop giving a gently caress and just be chill to people even if they are a bit odd

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Frosted Flake posted:

"Oh you went to the doctor? What did they say?" - you're right, checks out.

"Oh you went to the doctor? What did xir say?" - Bullshit (Lol a genderqueer doctor!)

"This is my friend Cam, they studies Womyn and Gender studies" - Bullshit

"This is my friend Cam, Xir studies Womyn and Gender studies" - Unsurprising, still nonsense.
"Nonsense" as in "I literally cannot make out what is going on; this communicates no information to me"? Because that doesn't seem like "nonsense" to me, just a natural evolution of the language. Maybe work on your English?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

well, again, if all you pay attention to is dumb internet poo poo then sure

you can see lots of rad-fem blue hared male tears drinkers in if you peek in on the right college classes. its defiantly not just an internet thing

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

you can see lots of rad-fem blue hared male tears drinkers in if you peek in on the right college classes. its defiantly not just an internet thing

you say that like small private hippy dippy schools haven't been turning those types out for decades and decades, or like big universities don't create classes to pander to anyone ever *cough Starcraft class at Berkeley cough*

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
The difference is that the established pronouns refer to things we can all see and agree upon. If you just throw out the rules than we may as well just bark at one another to communicate.

And the only fluid parts of language are syntax and slang. Shakespeare still makes sense to us even though the syntax is different. This is not an excuse for redefining how we talk about, and subsequently think about, just because some out of touch people say we need to in order to spare somebody somewhere's fee fees.

You people will not take me on this crazy ride into lala land anymore. I'm getting off this tiger.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
I encounter a lot of people bitching about "made up" pronouns (as though language itself isn't a social construct but whatever) like "xir" and "zey" and "qim", but I've never actually seen anyone in the wild who insists that those pronouns be used. Mostly they are trolls trying badly to mock so-called SJWs. Either it'll go out of fashion as the "singular they" becomes more mainstream or one of those pronouns will win out. The quest to define a gender neutral singular pronoun has been going on for centuries, so it's not just something tumblr invented ex nihilo.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aschlafly posted:

"Imaginary pronouns", as opposed to all those "real" pronouns that were handed down when God dictated the Oxford English Dictionary to Moses on Mt. Sinai.

Also "they" imaginary? The singular "they" is pretty mainstream English and arguably has been for a while.

Inventing special terms that you insist on being referred to by is rather petulant. That said, all language is in a state of flux and subject to change and use. Pronouns, however, generally have to serve a purpose of identifying the gender of whomever is being referred to. In English this isn't THAT necessary, but in a language like Spanish, where masculine and feminine words exist, that identifying language is essential for communicating and also for the formation of proper Spanish grammar.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a dog from hell posted:

The difference is that the established pronouns refer to things we can all see and agree upon. If you just throw out the rules than we may as well just bark at one another to communicate.

And the only fluid parts of language are syntax and slang. Shakespeare still makes sense to us even though the syntax is different.

You people will not take me on this crazy ride into lala land anymore. I'm getting off this tiger.

how do you think pronouns BECOME established dog? they don't just appear from the aether

no one loving knew what words Shakespeare was using when he first used invented things in a play either but they figured it out through context and got over it and now those words are parts of our lexicon

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Aschlafly, you can type this poo poo, but you can't say it!

Also lol the "Natural" evolution of the English language was cooked up in Womyn's Studies departments to describe a phenomenon the vast majority of people disagree with.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if a vast majority of people disagree then it won't become a thing and you have nothing to worry or complain about

honk honk

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Aschlafly posted:

I encounter a lot of people bitching about "made up" pronouns (as though language itself isn't a social construct but whatever) like "xir" and "zey" and "qim", but I've never actually seen anyone in the wild who insists that those pronouns be used. Mostly they are trolls trying badly to mock so-called SJWs. Either it'll go out of fashion as the "singular they" becomes more mainstream or one of those pronouns will win out. The quest to define a gender neutral singular pronoun has been going on for centuries, so it's not just something tumblr invented ex nihilo.

the easiest solution is never to talk or write about anyone who insists you use their hosed up third-person pronouns

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Inventing special terms that you insist on being referred to by is rather petulant.

now that's probably true right there though

Aschlafly posted:

I encounter a lot of people bitching about "made up" pronouns (as though language itself isn't a social construct but whatever) like "xir" and "zey" and "qim", but I've never actually seen anyone in the wild who insists that those pronouns be used. Mostly they are trolls trying badly to mock so-called SJWs. Either it'll go out of fashion as the "singular they" becomes more mainstream or one of those pronouns will win out.

also sorry but "I never encounter this IRL, I only see it and get irritated by it when I specifically look for it on the internet"

fuckin what bro

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

a dog from hell posted:

And the only fluid parts of language are syntax and slang. Shakespeare still makes sense to us even though the syntax is different.

Exactly, it's so simple. The core vocabulary of a language never changes. Hence why I can read Beowulf in the original Ænglisc and understand it just fine, and hence why we still use the singular "thou" these days. There is no middle ground between "language literally cannot ever change" and "language is chaos and no one can understand anyone else, ever".

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the world is a vampire

sent to plape

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

how do you think pronouns BECOME established dog? they don't just appear from the aether

no one loving knew what words Shakespeare was using when he first used invented things in a play either but they figured it out through context and got over it and now those words are parts of our lexicon

Out of necessity. The English in Shakespeare means the same to us as it did then. This idea of accessory LGBT pronouns being common vernacular is intending to redefine the way we think of gender. 2 + 2 does not equal 5. In this way we communicate. By setting rules based on necessity.

You can not improve upon the wheel. This poo poo is a modern trend and it will disappear and be forgotten quickly.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a dog from hell posted:

Out of necessity. The English in Shakespeare means the same to us as it did then. This idea of accessory LGBT pronouns being common vernacular is intending to redefine the way we think of gender. 2 + 2 does not equal 5. In this way we communicate. By setting rules based on necessity.

ah yes Shakespeare invented words out of necessity he def needed to use 'cvckold' instead of 'dude whose wife is loving other men' for his plays, which were necessary to stop the French invasion

the gently caress are you babbling about homie lmao

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Aschlafly posted:

Exactly, it's so simple. The core vocabulary of a language never changes. Hence why I can read Beowulf in the original Ænglisc and understand it just fine, and hence why we still use the singular "thou" these days. There is no middle ground between "language literally cannot ever change" and "language is chaos and no one can understand anyone else, ever".

The conventions of language stay the same regardless of syntax or vocabulary. Every word fits a need for the context. Your context is a false context and once some country with people that actually know up from down gets even with the US, these fantasies will be erased.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"lmao can't improve on the wheel!" said the Hyksos before the spoked wheel chariots annihilated them

fuckwit

a dog from hell posted:

The conventions of language stay the same regardless of syntax or vocabulary. Every word fits a need for the context. Your context is a false context and once some country with people that actually know up from down gets even with the US, these fantasies will be erased.

you're wrong that's not how language works drildo (see that drildo is a made the gently caress up word and you know I'm insulting you even though we've just invented it out of pure bullshit not any kind of necessity!)

honk honk

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

Moridin920 posted:

also sorry but "I never encounter this IRL, I only see it and get irritated by it when I specifically look for it on the internet"

fuckin what bro
Of the instances of "I prefer xir/xey/xim" I've encountered on the Internet, almost all have been anti-SJWs trying to make fun of SJWs. I'm not denying that it happens, but for the way these guys bitch about it you'd think everyone on the planet invented their own pronouns one day and the English language immediately devolved into meaningless, guttural sounds. It's not "irritating" to me; someone requesting that I use specific pronouns to refer to them is such a weird and petty thing for me to get butthurt about.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
CAN'T IMPROVE ON THE WHEEL said the Egyptians as the iron rimmed wheels of Greek chariots ran them down

Aschlafly posted:

Of the instances of "I prefer xir/xey/xim" I've encountered on the Internet, almost all have been anti-SJWs trying to make fun of SJWs.

oh well that I believe.

people are always blowing things up into bigger affairs then they really are to get points with their clique

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

a dog from hell posted:

What is a "false context" as opposed to a "true context"? Sounds like you've bought into the myth of the museum buddy, better go read some basic linguistics or metaphysics.

You're gonna be mad surprised when you start studying a language other than English and learn that government-mandated spelling, grammar, and even pronoun use reforms aren't unheard of.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

They teach "xir" in gen-ed college classes nowadays.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

ah yes Shakespeare invented words out of necessity he def needed to use 'cvckold' instead of 'dude whose wife is loving other men' for his plays, which were necessary to stop the French invasion

the gently caress are you babbling about homie lmao

What does this have to do with my point, which is that you are asking for a fundamental change in the way people think? Coining a word for brevity and style has nothing to do with changing the rules of language.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

The Kingfish posted:

They teach "xir" in gen-ed college classes nowadays.
Maybe it'll stick and that'll become the generally accepted gender neutral third person pronoun, or maybe "they" will, or maybe some other word will. Who cares?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"can't... improve... on... the wheel..." gasps the Greek as the Persian scythe chariot spills his intestines

a dog from hell posted:

What does this have to do with my point, which is that you are asking for a fundamental change in the way people think? Coining a word for brevity and style has nothing to do with changing the rules of language.

this a doubleplus ungood post dog

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"Can't improve on the wheeeeel!" screams the Persian chariot driver right before Roman caltrops obliterate the wheels

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

a dog from hell posted:

I'd imagine you're capable of reading early modern English, where pronouns like "ye" and "thou" and "thee" abound and verb forms like "-st" and "-th" are all over the place, so what exactly are you complaining about? It's adding a few words to English, not replacing it with loving lojban.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Words represent ideas. Most people don't believe in the idea of genderfluidity or a third gender, so why propagate it?

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Aschlafly posted:

What is a "false context" as opposed to a "true context"? Sounds like you've bought into the myth of the museum buddy, better go read some basic linguistics or metaphysics.

You're gonna be mad surprised when you start studying a language other than English and learn that government-mandated spelling, grammar, and even pronoun use reforms aren't unheard of.

Communication is used for a purpose. Courting mental illness is not viable long-term.

I am mostly drawing from Wittgenstein here. Language is a game with rules and its purpose is to accomplish real objectives.. Additional perversions are just that - perversions.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"... can't improve on the wheel" mutters the factory owner when presented with pneumatic tires

a dog from hell posted:

Communication is used for a purpose. Courting mental illness is not viable long-term.

I am mostly drawing from Wittgenstein here. Language is a game with rules and its purpose is to accomplish real objectives.. Additional perversions are just that - perversions.

lol look at you referencing Wittgenstein like you know what you're talking about (he also said the object of language is to figure out what game the other person is playing so we can more easily communicate, not that we need to wipe out perversions like we are WH40k commissars)

also perversions in that context mean the bullshit word games we play which prevent us from clearly communicating, not what you're talking about

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 15, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Aschlafly posted:

"Imaginary pronouns", as opposed to all those "real" pronouns that were handed down when God dictated the Oxford English Dictionary to Moses on Mt. Sinai.

Also "they" imaginary? The singular "they" is pretty mainstream English and arguably has been for a while.

Those are silly too.

One time this dude with a deep voice and a beard got offended that I called him a he and insisted that he was a she and how dare I just make an assumption about her gender. I was a little stunned by this and didn't quite know how to react, because thing one, when you look and sound like a man, what do you expect someone to say? Especially with no context? How do you expect me to automatically know the right word to use, buddy?

It's not that "how dare someone ask me to change my language", it's more like I don't appreciate people trying to force me to become a liar. I don't tell people what to do or believe because I don't care for it when people shove their beliefs down my throat. Especially when you try to force me to take part in your delusion. If you're like "say that God is real and the earth is flat or else" I'll tell you to go gently caress yourself.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

"can't... improve... on... the wheel..." gasps the Greek as the Persian scythe chariot spills his intestines

this a doubleplus ungood post dog

You take internet arguments very personally and frankly I think you should go get some sun.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

Those are silly too.

One time this dude with a deep voice and a beard got offended that I called him a he and insisted that he was a she and how dare I just make an assumption about her gender. I was a little stunned by this and didn't quite know how to react, because thing one, when you look and sound like a man, what do you expect someone to say? Especially with no context? How do you expect me to automatically know the right word to use, buddy?

you shrug because people are dumb fuckers and go 'sorry girl didn't realize' instead of blowing it up into an altercation or getting butthurt about it for later

i mean i agree, that person is being dumb, but so what man you won't stop people from being dumb

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
Like OK, sure, slight changes in vocabulary can affect the way people think. For example, in English there's no longer a tu/vous distinction, which means the barrier between formal and informal interactions is a little less rigid than in other languages. Adding a gender neutral third person pronoun might cause speakers to default to it instead of "he" for persons whose gender is unknown, and it might cause speakers to conceptualize gender as not inherently binary. Aren't these good things, though?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aschlafly posted:

Of the instances of "I prefer xir/xey/xim" I've encountered on the Internet, almost all have been anti-SJWs trying to make fun of SJWs. I'm not denying that it happens, but for the way these guys bitch about it you'd think everyone on the planet invented their own pronouns one day and the English language immediately devolved into meaningless, guttural sounds. It's not "irritating" to me; someone requesting that I use specific pronouns to refer to them is such a weird and petty thing for me to get butthurt about.

Nobody is really talking about pronouns though, that just got brought up this page.

My issue is that "gender fluidity" is an extremely vague theory based on very little actual science and I am disturbed to see political figures using this to their advantage without any consideration given to what it would actually mean to adopt this theory into practice. I've extreme issues with the surgical element of treating gender dysphoria and I'm very concerned with whether this is going to be taught to children as fact in some attempt at espousing progressive values. The fact that effectively ordinary people are being villified as bigots, the term "cis-gender" is not only now part of the loving lexicon but in more instances than not it is used as a disparaging insult or a means of silencing objection to this gender spectrum, it's all very troubling to see.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a dog from hell posted:

You take internet arguments very personally and frankly I think you should go get some sun.

im not taking anything personally im just here to illuminate the hosed up logical conclusions of statements like 'you can't improve upon the wheel' when talking about language as if it is some static thing that has arrived at its end point and this is it this is the best iteration of language possible can't improve any more!

the beauty of English is that it is so adaptable and changes constantly and steals words from other languages, not that it is static and unchanging. Go learn German if you want that.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

"... can't improve on the wheel" mutters the factory owner when presented with pneumatic tires

lol look at you referencing Wittgenstein like you know what you're talking about (he also said the object of language is to figure out what game the other person is playing so we can more easily communicate, not that we need to wipe out perversions like we are WH40k commissars)

also perversions in that context mean the bullshit word games we play which prevent us from clearly communicating, not what you're talking about

Pretending gender doesn't exist as a fact is not clearly communicating. Next argument?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usm7Q_4Xc7s&t=83s

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

a dog from hell posted:

chuckle, snort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a dog from hell posted:

Pretending gender doesn't exist as a fact is not clearly communicating. Next argument?

lol you better review your Wittgenstein next time you come with some weak poo poo like that, that's all. don't be mad bc I brutally owned you

and that's a dumb post anyway, a perverse word game right now is you acting changing pronouns suddenly means pretending gender doesn't exist or 'helping mental illness' like lmao dog just lmao you're the one muddying the waters here

• Locked thread