Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Did you use Windows 7 or 10? I have been doing some research and it looks like a lot of the VHS to DVD/PC programs don't work with 10. Ten years ago I had an HP entertainment laptop that could record directly, I'm almost considering purchasing an older laptop and running the older windows program just to get it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

The actual legit ezcap is actually good and I believe works in Win10 with a bunch of different programs.

There's a million knock-offs of it though so you have got to order from one of the company's actual stores - http://www.ezcap.tv/ezcap-usa-orders

edit - uh for some reason it's really expensive on their stores right now. It's usually around 30 bucks so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm watching Dr. Strangelove right now. Not my first time, but this is the first time I've noticed the presence of chewing gum... what's with that?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They're nervous and it's funny

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm watching Dr. Strangelove right now. Not my first time, but this is the first time I've noticed the presence of chewing gum... what's with that?
I always interpreted it as an oral fixation. Random google result:

quote:

Turgidson, for his part, frequently reacts to Muffley’s reprimands by sulking like a young schoolboy. Throughout the scenes in the War Room, he is chewing gum, occasionally adding another stick to the large wad stuffed into his cheek. This oral fixation, which mirrors Ripper’s devotion to cigars, denotes Turgidson’s immature nervousness in Muffley’s presence, and his furious chewing reveals his petulant frustration at being chastised.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That is funny.

It's been a few years since I've seen this, but now that I think of it, the black humor and nobody knowing what the gently caress nature of this movie reminds me of Burn After Reading.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I'm considering doing an effortpost in CD.

1. If I upload a bunch (30+) of short clips from a single movie (anywhere from 15 seconds to 2 minutes) to youtube, will that account get nuked pretty quickly? I'd like to do some gifs and clips to put in the thread but I don't know how actively that sort of thing gets C&D'd.

2. What is a good application for ripping short clips from a DVD and making them into either youtube ready video clips or gifs?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Before actually sitting down and watch Strangelove, I had no idea of how sexually charged the whole movie is.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Grifter posted:

1. If I upload a bunch (30+) of short clips from a single movie (anywhere from 15 seconds to 2 minutes) to youtube, will that account get nuked pretty quickly? I'd like to do some gifs and clips to put in the thread but I don't know how actively that sort of thing gets C&D'd.

2. What is a good application for ripping short clips from a DVD and making them into either youtube ready video clips or gifs?

1. Maybe. It probably would depend on the movie. You can use http://www.vid.me and don't label it and it would probably stay up.

2. VOB2MPG will get it off the DVD to a mpeg file. Then you can edit that with VirtualDub and export to gif or avi.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Freemake was what I have used for DVD clips for years (I have to do it for classes all the time). It's basically one click to rip, two clicks to clip. I think you might need to pay to do it without a watermark now, though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grifter posted:

You can turn 15 second clips into .gifv files and host them on imgur really easily but I think imgur urls eventually get recycled after a few years so they won't last forever

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Freemake was what I have used for DVD clips for years (I have to do it for classes all the time). It's basically one click to rip, two clicks to clip. I think you might need to pay to do it without a watermark now, though.

That's correct RE: the watermark issue, plus it forces the install of some other software when you install it to begin with.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
In The Big Lebowski, after Maude refers Lebowski to a doctor, the next scene is him pumped in his car punching the ceiling. Did he go to the doctor and get a handjob? Thanks in advance

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
No

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
What's the implication there, anyways? I haven't seen it in forever but I never quite understood what was meant to have happened.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What's the implication there, anyways? I haven't seen it in forever but I never quite understood what was meant to have happened.

The doctor asks him to slide his shorts down.

He either did a prostate exam or checked for an inguinal hernia and told him to turn and cough.

Then he's listening to CCR's "dude dude dude lookin' out my back door"

So yeah it was implied to be butt stuff.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Maude sends him to the doctor to check him out, probably for STDs, since she wants a kid and wants to be sure The Dude is in good health. Might have been some butt stuff, too.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Could have been butt stuff. Probably was. But it's not clear to me why he would have been in such an apparently good mood after that unless it's just that the CCR peps him up. Maude sends him to the doc on a flimsy pretext, and he gets checked out not guessing her ulterior motive until he asks her why she's sticking her knees up after sex and then does a fairly respectable spit take when she tells him. But I'm pretty sure the doc couldn't have taken a sperm sample. That would have tipped the Dude off immediately, which obviously didn't happen.

Bottom line, I don't think we're meant to think about it that closely.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think he just likes CCR. I don't think an old Indian man jerking him off would have been very exciting for him.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Dude keeps an open mind.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I assumed it was a prostate exam because Maude tells the Dude a number of times that the doctor is "a good man, and thorough."

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
He's pumped on Creedance man!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
CCR booze and a joint in his car I mean the Dude is peak Duding

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

I think he just likes CCR. I don't think an old Indian man jerking him off would have been very exciting for him.

Besides, I would expect for something like that, the doc would just put him in a room alone for a little DIY project. So no big deal; he could do that at home, almost certainly to better effect, what with having a little weed and better atmosphere available.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FishBulb posted:

He definitely is, but I've noticed on recent watches he's actually kind of a jerk, just less so than Walter.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Along those same lines it's sorta funny that The Dude has become the avatar of chill because he's high-strung and agitated for like 90% of the movie, including the ending after everything's been solved.

"The Dude abides" is obvious fronting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's hilarious but absolutely devastating that the only time he smiles is in his musical pot fantasies.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Along those same lines it's sorta funny that The Dude has become the avatar of chill because he's high-strung and agitated for like 90% of the movie, including the ending after everything's been solved.

It's worth remembering that "abide" doesn't mean enjoy or prosper, but rather tolerate or endure.

And you're not wrong, but he's still chiller than basically every other character in the movie.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

FishBulb posted:

This

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Big Lebowski is basically just a hardboiled/noir story except the detective is a constantly stoned slacker and like Spade or Marlowe or the Continental Op. the dude is a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

It's worth remembering that "abide" doesn't mean enjoy or prosper, but rather tolerate or endure.

It can also mean to survive or remain, as in, "The memory of this person abides with us."

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Snak posted:

And you're not wrong, but he's still chiller than basically every other character in the movie.

Untrue. Bunny Lebowski is the chillest by a country mile.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

It can also mean to survive or remain, as in, "The memory of this person abides with us."

One could even say it endures :P

I always got a vague feeling of Greek myth from The Big Lebowski. Like The Odyssey, or Jason and the Argonauts. The Dude is essentially going on a mundane and comical "hero's journey".

edit: ^ I should have said "almost" instead of "basically".

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dr Monkeysee posted:

What about Larry? That whole kerfuffle with his homework doesn't seem to bother him in the least.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The laughing cop is pretty chilled too.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Seeing that cop is probably the first time I saw in a movie a cop not giving a poo poo about solving a crime, it was a real wake up call.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Keep in mind we're not seeing him in his usual element for said 90% of the movie, though. We're watching him deal with some serious poo poo, and he's still keeping it together with his joint and his CCR, when most of us would be freaking the hell out. He's pretty annoyed for a lot of the movie, but it's for pretty understandable reasons, and he raises his voice like twice in the entire movie (once when a ferret is attacking his junk, and once when he believes an innocent person is gonna die due to somebody else's fuckup).

Is he pure Zen? No. But he's a whole gently caress of a lot closer than most of us.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 17, 2016

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Hell, even Brandt is fairly chill.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

When I think of laid back, relaxed characters I think of Elwood P. Dowd in Harvey (1950).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

In The Big Sleep, what role did Owen Taylor, the chauffeur, play in the whole affair? Was he working for Carmen, killing Geiger to save her reputation? Or was he an opportunist, looking to blackmail Carmen himself? And in either case, who killed him? Joe Brody doesn't seem like the type capable of committing a murder, and Eddie Mars doesn't seem to have a motive.