Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Are there any other LPers/LPs that are... I guess like davidspackage or Niggurath/iconoclast187? Single LPer doing subtitles or clear informative voiced commentary? Specifically looking for LPs of atmospheric, creepy/quirky games.
I'm aware of CannibalK9's LP of The Void - that one's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

bewilderment posted:

Are there any other LPers/LPs that are... I guess like davidspackage or Niggurath/iconoclast187? Single LPer doing subtitles or clear informative voiced commentary? Specifically looking for LPs of atmospheric, creepy/quirky games.
I'm aware of CannibalK9's LP of The Void - that one's great.

Most of supergreatfriend's stuff is what you're looking for. I highly reccomend his Deadly Premonition runthrough.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I'm getting low on data for the month, anyone have some good recommendations for screenshot based LPs? Preferably RPGs but considering SSLP format that probably goes without saying.

My favorites out of those I have already read are probably Elephantgun breaking FF6, CrookedB's Wizardry 4 and that one of Fallout 2 with the whole TRIGG PUNCHSTUFF thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thuryl's LPs in general, and Chokes McGee's Wizardry/Final Fantasy Legend LPs are both good screenshot LPs. They do the whole "give personalities to generic PCs and have witty dialog" thing. There's also the Icewind Dale 2 LP, which is similar. Those're all on lparchive.org.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks! Is Thuryl the one who did the Phantasy Star 2 run with his own dialog? If so I've read a few of his, but I don't think I've seen the others you mentioned.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
So I was trying to check out GuavaMoment's X-Com LPs in the archive, only to find that the screenshots apparently are in the wrong order for all the updates. Are there other good LPs of the series for someone who is unfamiliar with the games?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Cool Ghost is currently doing a super rad LP of Final Fantasy VIII where they actually go out of their way to find every plot point and sidequest. They've gone to a lot of effort to analyse the plot and characters and its really turned around a lot of people's opinions on the game, including me!

If you want some things where you can interact with the thread and make choices that'll affect things, ChaosArgate is doing SMT Devil Survivor with some thread interaction to decide what the main character does in their spare time as well as plot important choices. Also along those lines Mysticblade is doing Shira Oka which is a really weird but aggressively interesting visual novel/raising sim inspired by Tokimeki Memorial!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Fenrir posted:

Thanks! Is Thuryl the one who did the Phantasy Star 2 run with his own dialog? If so I've read a few of his, but I don't think I've seen the others you mentioned.

Have a list of all of Thuryl's LPs. But yes, she did Phantasy Stars 1-3.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fenrir posted:

I'm getting low on data for the month, anyone have some good recommendations for screenshot based LPs? Preferably RPGs but considering SSLP format that probably goes without saying.

My favorites out of those I have already read are probably Elephantgun breaking FF6, CrookedB's Wizardry 4 and that one of Fallout 2 with the whole TRIGG PUNCHSTUFF thing.

Mega64's LP of Final Fantasy IX is a fantastic display of a fantastic game. He goes into a great deal of explanation of both game mechanics and plot/characterisation. It really deepens the emotional impact of the story.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
If we're talking screenshot jrpg LP, howsabout Tendales' Dragon Quest V LP. An adorable LP of a fantastic game.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

SWMadness posted:

So I was trying to check out GuavaMoment's X-Com LPs in the archive, only to find that the screenshots apparently are in the wrong order for all the updates. Are there other good LPs of the series for someone who is unfamiliar with the games?

I checked a random page on a couple of the archived LPs and didn't see anything wrong. Which page in particular looks off? If there is a problem I'd like to talk to baldurk to see if he can fix it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've had my older iOS devices just go absolutely batshit when using lparchive or lpix. Duplicated images, images out of order, stuff like that. I've never had a problem with anything else. Might be something like that?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
EDIT: Misunderstood.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Anyone know of any good blind playthroughs of Grand Theft Auto V? They don't necessarily have to be LPs, as streams or just casual playing works. I just want to see a good, funny reaction to the stuff that happens in GTA V with someone who hasn't played it before.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

AMReese posted:

Anyone know of any good blind playthroughs of Grand Theft Auto V? They don't necessarily have to be LPs, as streams or just casual playing works. I just want to see a good, funny reaction to the stuff that happens in GTA V with someone who hasn't played it before.

Speedrunner of the game did a 'cutscene%' stream of it, took 11 hours. He'd already played through it dozens of times, but was still blind to a good portion of the content as he'd always skip through it.

Can't say I like his commentary too much, but it's a nice mess of skillful gameplay, interesting strategy, and him cracking up at hilarious cutscenes.

https://www.twitch.tv/gamingdekap/v/43013116

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

GuavaMoment posted:

I checked a random page on a couple of the archived LPs and didn't see anything wrong. Which page in particular looks off? If there is a problem I'd like to talk to baldurk to see if he can fix it.

I was reading through the X-Com UFO Defense one here, looks like a couple images get repeated near the bottom of the page.

EDIT:

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've had my older iOS devices just go absolutely batshit when using lparchive or lpix. Duplicated images, images out of order, stuff like that. I've never had a problem with anything else. Might be something like that?

I think that's what's going on, I'm using my phone for it and looking at it this morning there aren't nearly as many repeated pictures. That's weird.

SWMadness fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 5, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Are there any good LPs involving flight sims?

I've seen Selenic Martian's Strike Fighters and [That one PS2 game whose name escapes me] LP as well as Jobbo's IL-2 LP and even participated a bit in the RoF one by Ender. Just wondering if there was anything else entertaining out there.

Era doesn't matter too much. Heck, even a non-combat flight sim LP might be interesting depending. [edit] But not Ace Combat style stuff, slightly arcadey is ok, but not Ace Combat level (Though I do like Ace Combat).

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are there any good LPs involving flight sims?

I've seen Selenic Martian's Strike Fighters and [That one PS2 game whose name escapes me] LP as well as Jobbo's IL-2 LP and even participated a bit in the RoF one by Ender. Just wondering if there was anything else entertaining out there.

Era doesn't matter too much. Heck, even a non-combat flight sim LP might be interesting depending. [edit] But not Ace Combat style stuff, slightly arcadey is ok, but not Ace Combat level (Though I do like Ace Combat).

Offsite, JefMajor/OneFJef has several IL-2 LP playlists. He really loves the game and plays with most of the difficult/realistic settings turned to max.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WY4aV2R4YM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Uy03rriHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWsrd8PC4Rc

Also has an LP of War Thunder similar stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLj4Rp5i3VI

Has a few none flying simulator LPs too I'd recommend checking out. Silent Hunter 4 especially. (Submarine to air combat)

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Apparently there's an LP of the upcoming Koei Tecmo Attack on Titan ongoing here, does anyone have a link? I don't have search. I want to see how good or not the game is.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

davidHalestorm posted:

Apparently there's an LP of the upcoming Koei Tecmo Attack on Titan ongoing here, does anyone have a link? I don't have search. I want to see how good or not the game is.
I don't know about it being ongoing, but here is the thread.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been following the LP of Star Ocean 4, and decided to finally find and read/watch through a LP of Star Ocean 2 since as much as I want to give the game a shot, I don't have room in my life for 100 hour RPGs anymore.

I started reading the one on the archive by The White Dragon; and it was feeling very heavily targeted towards people who have played the game and were revisiting it. Doubly so considering how he handled the end of Disk 1. Enough so that I really don't want to finish it.

Is there an LP of this game out there that's better for people who have never played it?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Can anyone recommend me a high quality let's play of Far Cry 2?

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
I've only ever read 3-4 CYOA LPs on here and I don't know why I avoid them cos I've loved each one and don't care about participating or not.

Specific request: Any CYOA that begins with a kid or newborn and continues until they're very old or dead? Think "Roy: The game" from Rick and Morty.

None specific: Really good must-see CYOA LPs?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Are there any good informative let's plays of super metroid? I prefer solo commentary.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Kamrat posted:

Are there any good informative let's plays of super metroid? I prefer solo commentary.

There's always Slio9's Super Metroid Designed videos. Not only does he show the game off, he also points out how the game teaches and leads the player around through small details you normally wouldn't think about. The one downside of his videos is that they're three videos that are each over two and a half hours long, since they were originally him just streaming on twitch. But this is probably as informative as any Super Metroid lp can get.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Any good LPs of Doom 2016 out there? Been playing the game a lot and I kinda want to dare to compare with other people. I'm hoping for something along the lines of Lazyfire's Wolfenstein TNO LP where its mostly professional but I don't mind if the LPer is a bit of a goof.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Highwang posted:

Any good LPs of Doom 2016 out there? Been playing the game a lot and I kinda want to dare to compare with other people. I'm hoping for something along the lines of Lazyfire's Wolfenstein TNO LP where its mostly professional but I don't mind if the LPer is a bit of a goof.

The only ongoing one I know at the moment is Alexeythegreat's run. He's only a few videos in and his goofiness needs work, but it's still pretty good!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Highwang posted:

dscruffy1 posted:

The only ongoing one I know at the moment is Alexeythegreat's run. He's only a few videos in and his goofiness needs work, but it's still pretty good!

Similarly, FlamingVoid also took a run at the game. It's not as polished as Alexy's (at least initially), but it's a complete run through that eventually finds it footing fairly fast.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Astus posted:

There's always Slio9's Super Metroid Designed videos. Not only does he show the game off, he also points out how the game teaches and leads the player around through small details you normally wouldn't think about. The one downside of his videos is that they're three videos that are each over two and a half hours long, since they were originally him just streaming on twitch. But this is probably as informative as any Super Metroid lp can get.

Thanks man, I'll check it out. :)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Powerfrog posted:

You Have 001 Goblins might fit the bill.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Powerfrog posted:

Most of them are actually in the Game Room instead of LP, so you might want to check out over there. Plenty of good ones.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=103

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Can anyone suggest a good LPer to watch play the Dark Souls/Demons Souls/Bloodborne series? Someone who isn't loud or obnoxious, has a good voice, and is more informative than wacky? I like watching people figure stuff out as they go but also have interesting things to say about the game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Verranicus posted:

Can anyone suggest a good LPer to watch play the Dark Souls/Demons Souls/Bloodborne series? Someone who isn't loud or obnoxious, has a good voice, and is more informative than wacky? I like watching people figure stuff out as they go but also have interesting things to say about the game.

Geops blind play is the gold standard.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Skwirl posted:

What channel is that?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Verranicus posted:

What channel is that?

http://lparchive.org/Dark-Souls/

Here ya go

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah Geop's runs are good because he's not a fool but also has friends to both banter with and put him on the right path when things are going off-track.

Vicas' DaS1 LP is a good dissection on game design in general.

I really like Kobuddy's Bloodborne LP because he knows what he's doing but D. Vac and Compufreak bring both the blind reactions and turn the game into a hilarious B-Movie romp.

Argate vs Demons Souls is also funny since every death brings about a horror story, though they've ran out of ammo for that gimmick so I'm a tad worried.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Non-SA, but Kay Plays on youtube is really good for this. She played it blind, but edited heavily, took time to learn and analyze and the result is a very pleasant experience.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Geop's blind LPs can often become rambling and infused with in-jokes, which can sometimes not be to taste. If you're looking for something more directed, recently Dr. Tempest and Nietzschean did a playthrough of DS1 with the former guided by the latter. And then they decided to follow up on that with DS2, but with the gimmick that both are now running blind and periodically passing the controller.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Highwang posted:

Yeah Geop's runs are good because he's not a fool

I will contest against this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Dazzling Addar has a currently ongoing LP of Dark Souls 3 that is basically two LPS. One where she plays the game completely blind and then another one that's more experienced and informative. I love both LPs a lot, Dazzling Addar is really nice to listen to and even in the blind videos she doesn't go all wacky and pretend to be angry, she just enjoys the experience!