Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I didn't even know the nav beacon was a scannable object! Although I do have a discovery scanner I keep forgetting to activate... thanks, I'll try that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

timn posted:

Spamming a rank 1 upgrade takes way longer than working up through ranks 2-4. This was true even before the rebalance patch and should be even more true now that the rank 2-5 recipes are so much easier to feed.

They require stuff you can only get from missions. Screw that. I'd rather just mash the space bar for a few minutes, spending 1 very common material per pull and get to max rank that way. You can skip the rolling animations, and if you don't care what it comes out as, you can just spam spam spam it until you run out of materials or hit the cap.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Hav posted:

Merope 5c is still around.

Went to that one second and it was smashed when I got there in SP and private group.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

They require stuff you can only get from missions. Screw that. I'd rather just mash the space bar for a few minutes, spending 1 very common material per pull and get to max rank that way. You can skip the rolling animations, and if you don't care what it comes out as, you can just spam spam spam it until you run out of materials or hit the cap.

Some of them yeah, but surprisingly few overall. There's usually an alternative recipe of a given rank whose commodity can be bought.

The main point is it should be much faster and easier to collect very small quantites of a few different regular and uncommon materials than it is to amass literally hundreds of sulphur or whatever. It's also a lot less boring and you have a chance to get some lucky rolls on rank 3-4 recipes that are worth keeping.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

the thing about the commodities is that they are more likely to spawn/be rewarded if you know where to look. Modular Terminals are most commonly found in high tech economy systems undergoing a boom.

That's what i heard, so I went to a high tech boom state system and re-rolled the mission board a bunch of times over the course of a couple days....no modular terminals. Then I randomly get a mission in a non-high tech system that rewarded 4 of them. Only 11 more to go :argh:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

timn posted:

Some of them yeah, but surprisingly few overall. There's usually an alternative recipe of a given rank whose commodity can be bought.

The main point is it should be much faster and easier to collect very small quantites of a few different regular and uncommon materials than it is to amass literally hundreds of sulphur or whatever. It's also a lot less boring and you have a chance to get some lucky rolls on rank 3-4 recipes that are worth keeping.

Yeah but you're still having to go back and forth, collecting a bunch of extra crap to do maybe a handful of upgrades, and using up cargo space. OR, you can just spam Rank 1s, and if you run out, you can literally get in your ship, fly 100 meters away, land, and get whatever you need to finish spamming Rank 1s without leaving the planet.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I'm sitting on a level 4 FSD and trying to get access to the level 5 FSD upgrade myself. For the trick that involves spamming the level 1 upgrade, do you have to actually apply the 'upgrade' to your FSD? Or, do you go through the whole crafting sequence and just not apply it to your FSD at the very end?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Dolemite posted:

I'm sitting on a level 4 FSD and trying to get access to the level 5 FSD upgrade myself. For the trick that involves spamming the level 1 upgrade, do you have to actually apply the 'upgrade' to your FSD? Or, do you go through the whole crafting sequence and just not apply it to your FSD at the very end?

You don't have to apply anything. Just craft and discard/try again.

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 16, 2016

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dolemite posted:

You can just keep re-rolling, you don't have to apply them each time. I think if you hit "discard" though, it negates any progression (edit: or maybe not).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
After seeing some NMS screenshots, I finally figured out what this game lacks. It's caves. There's absolutely no caves anywhere.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

No erosion, no caves.

AFAIK anyway.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

tooterfish posted:

No erosion, no caves.

AFAIK anyway.
Aren't there caves on the moon?

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Ledenko posted:

Oh no, I've played ED before, last time was around when Horizons was released, but I didn't have the money to buy it back then. I'm not gonna say ED can hold my interest for a long time, but the aspect of realistic-ish exploration intrigues me, plus I like how ED does spaceship flight. Plus I enjoy KSP and civilian flight sims so my interests might possibly fall into what ED has to offer.

Exploration in E:D is a boring thing for boring people.
I love it! Put some music on that you enjoy, have a comfy chair and get ready to waste some time. I see how it is boring for a lot of people, but it's very zen.
If that doesn't sound like fun for you, well, that's pretty much what exploring in E:D is.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Pilchenstein posted:

Probably not.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

Absolutely not.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Rectus posted:

If they wanted to say "No Thargoids", Braben would probably come out and said it himself.

I seem to remember someone associated with ED, maybe Braben or Brookes, saying that when they do include the Thargoids, players will have absolutely no warning.

Again, :frontear:, grain of salt and all that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Holy poo poo don't listen to this guy!

:siren: :siren: :siren: YOU CAN GET TO MAX RANK BY JUST SPAMMING THE RANK 1 UPGRADES! DON'T BOTHER CRAFTING UPGRADE RANKS 2-4 TO RANK UP! :siren: :siren: :siren:

Edit: The reason for this is that the Rank 1 upgrades all cost 1 of any number of very common, super easy to get materials (Carbon, Iron, Phosphorus, Sulphur). Sure, Going from Rank 4 -> Rank 5 will take something like 100+ crafts and that might seem like a lot, but you get 3x carbon/iron/whatever for each single one you pick up so it's not that bad.

So rather than gather up 24 trivially obtainable materials — something that requires all of 6 pick-ups and two trade stops — you want to collect several hundred units of no less difficult materials?! Rather than going through the roll screen 6 times, you want to do it hundreds of times? I'm sorry but that's loving stupid.

No. Don't use rank 1 upgrades to grind grade 3 and 4 — you're wasting your time for no sensible reason whatsoever collecting all those materials and making two orders of magnitude more upgrade rolls.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

They require stuff you can only get from missions.
No, they don't. You're not going for anything that you're going to stick on the module to begin with so you pick whatever upgrade at the appropriate rank that is the least effort. Finding one that requires stuff you already have in abundance and/or can just get from the market takes all of 3 seconds. You need 6 units in total for those two ranks, so there's not even any travelling around needed.

The method you're proposing — flying off “100 meters” and hunting for new deposits — takes many times longer than visiting one or two markets.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 16, 2016

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

Tod "The Blaster" McQuinn also takes alliance bounties. Takes only a bit over 3m to get to rank 4. Wolf 406 is a nearby high-tech system that is easy to farm for that purpose.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

So rather than gather up 24 trivially obtainable materials — something that requires all of 6 pick-ups and two trade stops — you want to collect several hundred units of no less difficult materials?! Rather than going through the roll screen 6 times, you want to do it hundreds of times? I'm sorry but that's loving stupid.

No. Don't use rank 1 upgrades to grind grade 3 and 4 — you're wasting your time for no sensible reason whatsoever collecting all those materials and making two orders of magnitude more upgrade rolls.

No, they don't. You're not going for anything that you're going to stick on the module to begin with so you pick whatever upgrade at the appropriate rank that is the least effort. Finding one that requires stuff you already have in abundance and/or can just get from the market takes all of 3 seconds. You need 6 units in total for those two ranks, so there's not even any travelling around needed.

The method you're proposing — flying off “100 meters” and hunting for new deposits — takes many times longer than visiting one or two markets.

Rolling for rank 1 upgrades is fine though if you're an explorer, because in that case you probably have tons of low-rank materials available. I mean, every time an explorer lands somewhere to futily search for stuff like Polonium, you end up with a massive amount of junk like Iron. So in that case, there's no wasting time, since you would have searched for the high-end materials anyway.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Libluini posted:

Rolling for rank 1 upgrades is fine though if you're an explorer, because in that case you probably have tons of low-rank materials available. I mean, every time an explorer lands somewhere to futily search for stuff like Polonium, you end up with a massive amount of junk like Iron. So in that case, there's no wasting time, since you would have searched for the high-end materials anyway.

That's just it: it's no waste of time for the higher grades either. You will already have those materials same as you would with the iron.

Like you say, you're not grinding the Engineers in a vacuum — you're doing it to get that FSD Range 5 upgrade, which requires its own set of semi-annoying materials. The stuff you need for grade 3 and 4 upgrades is so common that you will have them in abundance by collecting the grade-5 materials.

At the end of the day, you're either collecting 250:ish units of something (which translates into finding 80+ sources), rolling for upgrades 250 times, and only then do you go after an upgrade that requires something completely different; or you're spending 24 units of stuff that you'll come across anyway (from as few as just 3 or 4 sources) while collecting those final materials, and you only have to do 12 upgrade rolls to get through those middle grades.

Yes, some of the grade-1 materials are easier to find than the grade-3 and 4 ones. But no matter what, they're not the orders of magnitude easier it would require to make it a better and quicker deal. In fact, as an explorer, I would not be carting around 250 units of iron, or even some 80/80/80 split of common materials, exactly because they're common — even with the much expanded material storage we have now, why waste the space on stuff I will pick up anyway whenever I need it?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 16, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

That's just it: it's no waste of time for the higher grades either. You will already have those materials same as you would with the iron.

You're not grinding the Engineers in a vacuum — you're doing it to get that FSD Range 5 upgrade, which requires its own set of semi-annoying materials. The stuff you need for grade 3 and 4 upgrades is so common that you will have them in abundance by collecting the grade-5 materials.

At the end of the day, you're either collecting 250:ish units of something (which translates into finding 80+ sources), rolling for upgrades 250 times, and only then do you go after an upgrade that requires something completely different; or you're spending 24 units of stuff that you'll come across anyway (from as few as just 3 or 4 sources) while collecting those final materials, and you only have to do 12 upgrade rolls to get through those middle grades.

Yes, some of the grade-1 materials are easier to find than the grade-3 and 4 ones. But no matter what, they're not the orders of magnitude easier it would require to make it a better and quicker deal.

You're missing the point completely. I have found 1 Polonium to something absurd like 100+ Iron and Carbon. And since time machines don't exist, all that time I spend hunting for Polonium is forever and unrecoverable wasted. So thanks to me being an explorer, I could just double down on my four engineers and spam tons of rank 1 upgrades. (I still have like 50 Iron and Carbon left, by the way. :v: )

All I'm saying is, if you already have all that crap, there's no reason not to spam them like mad. Especially since you often don't want full level 5 clearance from certain engineers, and getting to level 3-4 is a lot less wasteful then blasting the 50+ upgrades you need to climb from 4 to 5. :shrug:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 16, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Libluini posted:

You're missing the point completely. I have found 1 Polonium to something absurd like 100+ Iron and Carbon. And since time machines don't exist, all that time I spend hunting for Polonium is forever and unrecoverable wasted. So thanks to me being an explorer, I could just double down on my four engineers and spam tons of rank 1 upgrades. (I still have like 50 Iron and Carbon left, by the way. :v: )

All I'm saying is, if you already have all that crap, there's no reason not to spam them like mad. Especially since you often don't want full level 5 clearance from certain engineers, and getting to level 3-4 is a lot less wasteful then blasting the 50+ upgrades you need to climb from 4 to 5. :shrug:

And all I'm saying is that, you will already have all that crap when you're grinding for the grade-5 upgrade, so why even bother picking up all that unnecessary iron and carbon? Why waste time on 10× more rolls (by the way, goddamn FDev, why is there a pause on the roll skipping?!) when you can just focus on the mere handful of sources and rolls you do need?

Now, if you're saying that your magpie instinct is too strong to just leave the iron you find behind then… well, ok, yeah. But that's a different issue. :D

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

And all I'm saying is that, you will already have all that crap when you're grinding for the grade-5 upgrade, so why even bother picking up all that unnecessary iron and carbon? Why waste time on 10× more rolls (by the way, goddamn FDev, why is there a pause on the roll skipping?!) when you can just focus on the mere handful of sources and rolls you do need?

Now, if you're saying that your magpie instinct is too strong to just leave the iron you find behind then… well, ok, yeah. But that's a different issue. :D

From the view-point of an explorer, all that low-tier junk can be used for important things like refilling your SRV-tank if you're ten thousand light years from the next star port and close to strand yourself in some deep canyon your ship can't land in. So as long as there is enough free space, we space magpies just hoard that stuff like crazy. :v:

And sometimes grade 1 re-rolls even get you some side-benefits: The hull on my Imperial Cutter is stronger and has higher resistances than normal, for example. Thanks to all those grade 1 re-rolls when grinding Liz Ryder up to lv. 3, I ended up with a result really, really close to what is the maximum possible with level 1 armor mods.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Libluini posted:

From the view-point of an explorer, all that low-tier junk can be used for important things like refilling your SRV-tank if you're ten thousand light years from the next star port and close to strand yourself in some deep canyon your ship can't land in. So as long as there is enough free space, we space magpies just hoard that stuff like crazy. :v:

And sometimes grade 1 re-rolls even get you some side-benefits: The hull on my Imperial Cutter is stronger and has higher resistances than normal, for example. Thanks to all those grade 1 re-rolls when grinding Liz Ryder up to lv. 3, I ended up with a result really, really close to what is the maximum possible with level 1 armor mods.

Oh sure, I have the same problem. It's just that over time I've come to accept that the common stuff is actually common — unless you're driving like a drunken groundhog on a body that somehow has none of the four SRV basics, you really don't need much in the way of a buffer. I'm not saying I don't pick it up, even if just reflexively or by accident, but I've also learned to cull those piles down to non-silly numbers every time I finish a trip.

Back in the day, 80+ of anything common was just too large a portion of the total storage capacity; these days, it's more than I'll ever use on multiple outings so it gets reduced down to maybe 20 or so. Either way, I never got into stockpiling non-rare elements.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

OH! I did find a bunch of chemical manipulators (grade 5 fsd) and conductive ceramics (grade 5 lightweight multi-cannon and grade 5 clean thrusters) from interdicting type-6/7/9s and blowing them up in an anarchy system if anyone needs those. :pirate:
I got my fill on chemical manips (and distillerys to get through rank 4) by doing something similar. Set the galaxy map status to "outbreak", then looked around for one that was anarchy. I was looking for a "Collecting medicine" in the system, which has plenty of large ships just hangin' out, but I ran into a "Convoy Beacon" instead (not a USS "Convoy Dispersal Pattern"). In it there were 2-3 Type-9 and a 3-4 Type-6/7 along with some sidewinders. You could just just open up on a Type 9 and the whole convoy wouldn't mind. After I killed all the transport ships I just logged out and back in twice and ended up with like 40 of everything, which is when I realized that they now get picked up in 3's!

I also used the opportunity to learn how to fight sidewinders in my new Anaconda. I saved my money and went from Asp Explorer all the way to Anaconda so I never got the pleasure of experiencing a large ship that can't turn for poo poo. I'd plink one of the sidewinders so he'd aggro and let him get around behind me, then figured out how to pilot this space cow over the course of a couple hours of flailing around.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tooterfish posted:

No erosion, no caves.

AFAIK anyway.

It's true, and I get that. I'd just prefer if there were.

Atmospheric flight can't come fast enough. It's never coming, is it? :v:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
What exactly is different about atmospheric flight beyond burning up if you enter/leave to fast?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Erosion.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
WTB 25 modular terminals. I hate you Little Marco.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

What exactly is different about atmospheric flight beyond burning up if you enter/leave to fast?

Aerodynamics, clouds/weather, and pretty colors? And life?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Rah! posted:

Aerodynamics, clouds/weather, and pretty colors? And life?

Aerodynamics is the really big one. On barren rocks there's nothing to push against, so you can whip around nice and easy without any regard. If you try to do that in an atmosphere you can rip your craft to pieces, as KSP has taught me. Repeatedly. And without mercy.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah. Lift and drag are the big ones. As far as the landscape is concerned, they'll have to start modelling cloudscapes, weather effects (lightning!), liquids and the effects of erosion. It's not exactly a small job, unless you want to half arse it like CIG.

They've said life will come later, but that's a bigger job than pretty much everything else combined.

I was wrong about caves though, apparently there are caves on the moon! They can be created by tectonic activity and lava flows. Elite's engine isn't voxel based like NMS's though, so caves would be harder to implement and I think they've already said there's no immediate plans for them.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Since E:D uses height maps for planetary generation, the only way to have overhangs or caves and stuff would be to place them on/inside the PG terrain as objects.

Its not difficult to do technically, but FDEV have a lot of other priorities, especially regarding authored content (like new space stations and bases for example). They won't go in hand-placing NMS caves anytime soon...

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
What I'd like to see is some ace combat style corridor missions. That would own so hard.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Only a couple days more until Gamescom. (I played with the thought of going to visit it in person, but gently caress every ticket was sold out last time I checked.)

Now I really want to see what Frontier is hyping so much.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Playable capital ships.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
what I want most is: "we actually sat some users in front of the game, did some user testing, and realized the game is basically unplayable without the help of external guides — so we've added well written, optional tooltips to basically everything in-game."

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Polo-Rican posted:

what I want most is: "we actually sat some users in front of the game, did some user testing, and realized the game is basically unplayable without the help of external guides — so we've added well written, optional tooltips to basically everything in-game."

:nallears:

Libluini posted:

New SRV models, volcanic planets, player avatars/fighters/multicrew.

Dream guesses: Thargoids and SpaceLegs

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nice meltdown

Seriously though, I think spending some time joust doubling down really hard on assets would improve the game a lot. More modular station parts, more kinds of hangars and interiors, more planetary features. Procedural generation spreads your butter thin, so you'd better bring a gently caress ton of butter. Of course I have no idea how time consuming it really is to do (probably very)

Alehkhs posted:

Dream guesses: Thargoids and SpaceLegs

Why not both? You were a thargoid all along!

so many legssssss

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

Haha, look at this dreamer.

• Locked thread