Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

The Deleter posted:

Shitposting aside I keep meaning to go back and play Beyond the Sword but holy god the UI is so terrible. Why is the End Turn button a tiny dot in one corner? How did anyone think that was okay?

I wish it had the mod support Civ 5 does though. Firaxis, get it hooked up to that workshop, stat!

You get flashing text that says "Press <ENTER> to end turn."

Even the tutorial mentions it like 2 minutes in.

Chucat fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Chucat posted:

You get flashing text that says "Press <ENTER> to end turn."

Ehh, fair enough.

I like both games - I played a shitload of Civ 4 when I was younger and shouldn't bag on it as much as I do. My complaints make me look really loving stupid. I just prefer Civ 5. I apologize.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If we're gonna talk mods, at least you can use mods and scenarios in Civ 4 multiplayer. In Civ 5 it takes third party programs and tricking the game into thinking a mod is DLC to get mods to work, and scenarios don't work at all.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Phobophilia posted:

Having played both and repeatedly kicked the OP in the teeth in Civ5,

I'm always getting my teeth kicked in, but those games were so much fun.

This was my favourite and I'm glad i blogged it for posterity

Can't wait to get in on some Civ6 MP action. I hope hotseat MP isn't a pile of wank on release :ohdear:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Chucat posted:

http://www.sullla.com/Civ4/RBPB2-5.html

I don't know maybe this entire MP war report is just him saying "our doomstack rolled over their doomstack before it could roll over one of our cities" but stretched out over several thousand words or maybe Civ 4 combat is actually...quite deep.

Civ4 Combat is really good, and the people that boil it down to "doomstacks" probably haven't actually played on equal footing in the modern era. There are a lot of tactical choices to make when you are trying to "mop-up." If you play correctly it's fairly fast, but if you screw up you'll get bogged down, and then the AI will start nuking your cities.

Gort posted:

If we're gonna talk mods, at least you can use mods and scenarios in Civ 4 multiplayer. In Civ 5 it takes third party programs and tricking the game into thinking a mod is DLC to get mods to work, and scenarios don't work at all.

I lust for Fall From Heaven, in Civ IV.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 11, 2016

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Super Jay Mann posted:

So evidently Firaxis took a look at Huns and said "You know we made a pretty OP civ. Now how can we make them even better?" and came up with Scythia :stare:

Looks like it. It actually wouldn't be too bad, but it has the same stupid issue of not needing horses that Egypt and The Huns had in V. The Huns were especially obnoxious because they started with the ability to see horses on the map, and their horse archer still didn't need horses.

Just start the Scythians with the ability to see horses and have each of the units that build doubles use only .5 horses each. The point is: make them go get those horses.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Gort posted:

I want this to be a thing too, because there were some really cool mods in Civ V and not being able to use them with friends was a bummer. Would make community patch mods and stuff easier to use in multiplayer for sure.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Civ 4 had a mod that let an entire stack of units fight at once as a combined armed force. It was horribly broken because the AI couldn't take advantage of it, but I liked the concept. You've still got stacks as an abstraction of your military power, but without having to tediously suicide 13 catapults into an enemy city, and then mopping up a dozen 0.1 strength units. And there's still tactical depth in selecting unit composition and positioning. I believe Call to Power 2 did something similar to this as well. I too wish Civ would stop trying to be Panzer General. I love hexes, 1UPT, and wargaming in general but in the context of Civ I'm still not completely sold on it.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 14, 2016

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
What are the best hex games out there these days? Been a long time for me.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The references to changing government types and legacy bonuses makes me wonder if that'll be Trajan's deal. I mean, I know he was a conqueror and all, but it would be cool to get a Rome that focused on its long-term stability or flexibility, rather than war. Maybe get a more conventional war-leader later.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Krazyface posted:

The references to changing government types and legacy bonuses makes me wonder if that'll be Trajan's deal. I mean, I know he was a conqueror and all, but it would be cool to get a Rome that focused on its long-term stability or flexibility, rather than war. Maybe get a more conventional war-leader later.

That's not really Trajan's shtick. They'd use Augustus again, or Hadrian or whatever of that was what they were going for

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
What would be cool is a game where an early war is a tactical choice but the leader also had a late game-trait, maybe call it "organized," where they could profit off of their early conquests.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Something like "cities you control but didn't found get a growth bonus"?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

cheetah7071 posted:

Something like "cities you control but didn't found get a growth bonus"?

Actually I really dislike the idea that cities can never integrate into your empire. I'm totally ok with cities having unique aspects, but why the negative attributes for conquered cities vs "homegrown" cities.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hand Row posted:

Hexcells Plus, Hexcells, Hexcells Infinite, and Hexen II in that order.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Powercrazy posted:

Actually I really dislike the idea that cities can never integrate into your empire. I'm totally ok with cities having unique aspects, but why the negative attributes for conquered cities vs "homegrown" cities.

Well the point of the UA I proposed is something that rewards you or conquering cities by making them better than homegrown ones (though intentionally in a way that gets less relevant the later you conquer them).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

DarthJeebus posted:

I believe Call to Power 2 did something similar to this as well.
Yep. You could stack up to 12 units on a tile and when you attacked it would bring up a small window with all the troops visible fighting with melee in front, ranged behind, flanking units on the sides etc. If I remember correctly units would only focus on the front row whatever that was so your archers would be safe from damage until your melee died.

Siege units could bombard the tile next to them damaging and even destroying units. The more siege you had the more damage obviously but you needed regular units to protect them.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

Agenda: Hates surprise declarations of war.

What constitutes as a "surprise war" there, attacking without denouncing first?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hand Row posted:

Age of Wonders III is really good and has good combat AI.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Teron D Amun posted:

So it seems, as per Civ Analyst:

quote:

Civ VI uses a "casus belli" system; in other words, you will incur less of diplomatic penalty if you have cause to go to war. If you declare war without first Denouncing the target civilization, this will be considered a "surprise war" and will incur additional diplomatic penalties.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Teron D Amun posted:

As I currently understand it, surprise war is any time you declare without having a justification. Denunciation is the earliest "formal war" prerequisite, but you can't just denounce and then declare war - a certain number of turns must pass after your denouncement first (10?) before you can declare war with lesser penalties. On the flipside, if you've been denounced, you apparently have the ability to declare a formal war any time during the denouncement period in response. Other casus belli appear to open up as you tech through civics, but I don't know how specific they may be.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I hate about Civ games is the lack of things you can do with snow tiles. Ski resorts for snow hills would be nice. Also there could be hot springs similar do how deserts have oasis, geothermal stuff, and glaciers.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Safety Scissors posted:

One thing I hate about Civ games is the lack of things you can do with snow tiles. Ski resorts for snow hills would be nice. Also there could be hot springs similar do how deserts have oasis, geothermal stuff, and glaciers.

Sounds like an easy mod

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Safety Scissors posted:

I don't think snow should be particularly attractive to settle because a key part of civ is the point when all the good land is settled and you're driven into conflict with other players if you want more after that. That said, I guess you can put districts on snow in 6, so you'll be able to have a city with a bunch of snow tiles without it being completely worthless.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Red Bones posted:

I don't think snow should be particularly attractive to settle because a key part of civ is the point when all the good land is settled and you're driven into conflict with other players if you want more after that. That said, I guess you can put districts on snow in 6, so you'll be able to have a city with a bunch of snow tiles without it being completely worthless.

With petra, solar plants, oasis, and increased chances of oil popping up desserts can be pretty attractive to settle. Why should snow just get a gently caress you?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Safety Scissors posted:

With petra, solar plants, oasis, and increased chances of oil popping up desserts can be pretty attractive to settle. Why should snow just get a gently caress you?

Civ's snow terrain has always been basically Antarctica. It exists primarily to help fudge the illusion that the rectangular map represents a sphere: there's way too much territory at the poles but it's largely useless to curb geometrically impossible polar empires. I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of modern era bells and whistles for snow terrain but realistically it would come so late in the game that it wouldn't really make a whole lot of difference one way or another.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
The real question is why the hell desert is so awesome.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

The real question is why the hell desert is so awesome.

A lot of very vibrant civilizations sprang up in regions that are now largely desert (because they were over-farmed into oblivion by those same civilizations), so obviously deserts must be fertile places for civilizations to develop! :downs:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Civ's snow terrain has always been basically Antarctica. It exists primarily to help fudge the illusion that the rectangular map represents a sphere: there's way too much territory at the poles but it's largely useless to curb geometrically impossible polar empires. I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of modern era bells and whistles for snow terrain but realistically it would come so late in the game that it wouldn't really make a whole lot of difference one way or another.

Eh, at least Beyond Earth did something with now. You couldn't build farms in snow, but you were free to build manufactories, academies, generators, and all whatnot in the snow.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Go full planetary annihiliation and make it a god drat geodesic sphere

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cythereal posted:

Eh, at least Beyond Earth did something with now. You couldn't build farms in snow, but you were free to build manufactories, academies, generators, and all whatnot in the snow.

The base yield of snow was still garbage though. There was one improvement you could build on snow (terrascapes) that ignored the fact that it was snow and was as good everywhere, but that's not exactly a point in snow's favour, rather just the absence of a point against it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

echinopsis posted:

Honestly, I don't understand why they haven't already.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm still holding out hope that they'll add an Inuit civ someday. They don't even have to make them make snow tiles good just give them a way to eke out a bit of food and production and give them a sick bonus to fishing boats.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

echinopsis posted:

Because spherical maps are not really good in a gameplay sense and the gimmick made planetary annihilation annoying as gently caress to play.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Am I the only person that doesn't want an inuit civilization added by default? I get it - there exist some people who live in the snow. But to put them in a game with history creating empires like Rome, China, Persia, England, etc., seems thematically wrong for the scope of the game.

I don't think places like Canada would even be a proper addition to the game, when compared to the usual crowd that gets in.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 15, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Am I the only person that doesn't want an inuit civilization added by default? I get it - there exist some people who live in the snow. But to put them in a game with history creating empires like Rome, China, Persia, England, etc., seems thematically wrong for the scope of the game.

I don't think places like Canada would even be a proper addition to the game, when compared to the usual crowd that gets in.

First Civilization DLC Pack: Lichtenstein, San Marino, and Andorra.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'd personally much rather that Civ games represented a wide range of interesting and different cultures than a laundry list of imperialist nations by descending significance, half of which are European. I'm all about the Indonesias and Aztecs and Polynesias of the world, even when their implementation is a bit ham-fisted.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The whole conceit of Civ is "what if a bunch of nations that often didn't even coexist all started together at the dawn of history". There's nothing wrong with throwing in peoples that never formed an empire, because "what if the Inuit were willing and able to conquer the world" is no sillier than "what if America conquered Germany with horse archers in 2000BC".

You could get all Paradox on things, and make people like the Inuit usually a minor culture, unless conditions are just right for them to take over, but Civilization has NEVER been a history simulator. It's always a economic/war game first and foremost, and if they can think of a way to make a culture mechanically interesting in that context, then it has a place in the game.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

history creating empires like Rome, China, Persia, England, etc.

...You mean like the Celts, Denmark, Korea, Poland, Siam, the Shoshone, Polynesia, and the Haudenosaunee? Those 'history-creating empires'?

e: vvv I'll give you that one. vvv

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The PLC was pretty large.