Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Dr Pepper posted:

This doesn't really work since the reason you can't be tempered is the Echo.

The Echo has something to do with the ability to connect different souls, which is how you see people's pasts and understand them no matter what language they're speaking.

Also the whole "Warrior of Light is (becoming) a primal" thing doesn't work out because Primals are distinct things that, in universe, have been scientifically worked out. They have a distinct effect on the worlds Aether that can be detected.

The Echo and being Tempered Immune is something that's conflated a bit. Remember that one fish-man in the Leviathan quest had the Echo as well (who was then aether-consumed by Leviathan.)
Then again there's a LOT of stuff going on that's still relatively up in the air, like what Hydalyn's blessing actually did. I'm pretty sure it included the actual Anti-Tempering thing before the WoL made it their own (with Midgarsormr filling in the interim.)

And it does work out, Thordan and Shiva specifically show the general idea of the whole process. The only thing the WoL is missing is emulating a Legend/tale about someone... But they are becoming that tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The crazy part about the WoL is just how quickly they're expanding their influence. They've already become a living legend in the Eorzean Alliance territories, but I'm pretty sure the WoL is now going to go down as a legend among even the dragons as well.

Rafza posted:

this is my line of thinking tbh, i think the WoL is just unnaturally good at beating things up / solving problems. other FF protags could do it without being a demi-god equivalent (im ignoring zidane and cloud, one of which was a created alien that was designed to destroy the world / foment fear and the other a genetically powered, radiation exposed goon)

Other Final Fantasy games had protagonists do big, heroic and crazy deeds, but none of those games dwelled often on the fact that the protagonist is an actual monster. Well, besides the games in which you've already ignored because they're sort of a different kind of case.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SirPhoebos posted:

Does anyone else want the Penultimate Alexander Boss to be the Archfiends from FFIV? (with a remix of their theme, natch).

This should be their music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8vz186pjY0

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

SettingSun posted:

So what's a good way to get a steady flow of gil nowadays? The one thing standing between me and my zodiac weapon now is a severe cash shortage. It's selling crap on the Market Board, isn't it? I hope there is something less player-dependent I can do. I just started the Heavensward content and I think they jacked up the teleport prices. It's like 450 gil to get from anywhere to anywhere else now. Ugh.

There's a few Heavensward quests that give HQ vendor gear every two levels or so, you can look at what the quest rewards are and what's selling on the market board and flip what you don't need. You can also sell items bought with GC seals, on Excalibur Aqueous Whetstones are the best $/seal last I heard. Or retainer ventures, DIremite Web used to be an early and easy thing to get your retainers to hunt since they/Dew Thread can't be bought from the beastman vendors but I don't know if it's still moving or not.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Maybe FFXIV will go the X route of making the main character a living dream. We don't have the potential to become a primal because we already are a primal representing the cries of those in need.

Griz
May 21, 2001

HenryEx posted:

I've seen the Odin fate twice in the last couple weeks, so that's definitely still in. Not sure about Behemoth, but probably yes.

I did the Behemoth fate on Sunday for the first time in the two years I've been playing this game. I guess no one bothers calling those anymore because you only have to do it like 3x to get all the loot, and the fights are a laggy pain in the rear end.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe FFXIV will go the X route of making the main character a living dream. We don't have the potential to become a primal because we already are a primal representing the cries of those in need.

It wouldn't be too implausible to find out that when Louisouix sent the WoL forward in time with massive amounts of aether everywhere in the wake of a failed attempt at a ritual similar to the one used to summon primals, it gave them a bit of primalness.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HiKaizer posted:

No doubt someone could summon a primal that fitted their ideal of the warrior of light however.

TBH, I'm more interested in just how WoD came into existence, considering how easy it seems to be to summon primals as long as you have access to crystals (which ascians definitely do).

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
WOD is the WOL from one of the other 14 fractured dimensions of whatever and he's who we see in the cgi cutscenes and he went through almost the same poo poo we did but got hosed over by hydaelyn and switched teams

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
How did I miss/forget that.

Also why 14 dimensions, I thought there was only 13 gods. This is fishy. :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Truga posted:

How did I miss/forget that.

Also why 14 dimensions, I thought there was only 13 gods. This is fishy. :v:

Look, just because 13 was a bunch of endless hallways and 13-2 stunk, doesn't mean that it didn't happen ok. They can't all be astral ages.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

We all know the last content patch 8 years into the future is going to involve some group utilizing the MCs legend to primal himself only to lose to the original. The MC is stronger than the mythos/legend created around him/her and that'll be bad rear end.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
ACTUALLY we will discard the title of warrior of light and become the warrior of hope

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
if you are into cute plushies, they are releasing a cait sith plushie for preorder now.

comes with an ingame code for cait sith cat ears.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

if the WoL turns out to be mother loving tidus i will laff forever

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Kuvo posted:

if the WoL turns out to be mother loving tidus i will laff forever

WoL is a tidus slayer

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Groggy nard posted:

I do remember part of the 2.xx questline had an Ascian going "WoL's crystals make them strong beyond mortal limits". And then you keep getting stronger despite Midgardsormr being a dick.
There are also conditions in the game where it'll put the message "The power of the Echo grants you strength beyond mortal limits!" right in the middle of the screen. (I may not have the exact wording.)

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

IS THIS IMAGE REAL OR FAKE?

HAS SCIENCE GONE TOO FAR?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Zereth posted:

There are also conditions in the game where it'll put the message "The power of the Echo grants you strength beyond mortal limits!" right in the middle of the screen. (I may not have the exact wording.)

It got replaced in solo instance content with 'Breaking limits as only the Warrior of Light can' Such as in the latest bit in the Warring Triad storyline now, so it's your own power nowadays. Pretty sure the Echo bonus only showed up in solo instance content and most primal/raid content if you fail to complete it first.

I may just be reading into things, but it seems to me that there's been a theme since around the end of 2.x with Midgardsomr sealing away the Blessing of Light of the WoL growing above and beyond Hydaelyn. She's weak and can't supply any power, can't even communicate with anyone anymore without a proxy and who she wants to speak to coming directly to the astral sea.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 16, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Aphrodite posted:

My master plan is to make myself known as a Summoner, so that when Eorzea raises Primal Me I'll be easy to beat.

You're already a magic warrior risen from death by God.

can a Primal Summoner summon themself?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Man I hope I hit that supposed patch of story again at some point, because the constant grind in the early 40's is really bad and this fetch quest for corrupted crystals across multiple regions is the worst in a while.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
People read into stuff a lot differently than I did.

The way it seemed to read to me, was that it was not 14 dimensions but 14 ages; 7 Umbral and 7 Astral. The scenes with Urianger, Elidibus and the WoD in the Great Library have Elidibus showing Urianger a book which seems to contain prophecies detailing all the events that have currently happened to date. The book also seems to detail some disaster at the end of the 7th Astral Age (which if you believe the GC leaders we are currently in, which makes sense as the ages seem to be getting shorter) and then nothing afterwards. The WoD just seemed to be a mirror of the current situation from a previous age, which then fell in with Elidibus' plan presumably after he revealed this to them. Given that they had a black mage and a white mage, presumably from the end of the 5th Astral, or 6th Umbral eras.

The other thing about Primals is that they are entities from the sea of aether that are given shape by prayer and given form by aether. While it is less clearly spelled out with the case of people who become the primal, it seems to be a case of their bodies act as a vessel that gives them at least some kind of influence over the primals' actions. With Shiva and Thordan you could make a case that they summon primals that they want to share their agendas, but this would not necessarily hold for the case with Phoenix. Thordan still needed a supply of aether to maintain his form, which was why he had Nidhogg's eye.

Additionally the warrior of light has been the direct beneficiary of power from other beings a number of times. For example when we fight Ultima Weapon, Hydaelyn specifically gives them a shield to protect against Ultima. Later you receive power from Hraesvelgr to protect against Nidhogg as well. While the WoL is pretty incredible for defeating primals fairly regularly, there are a lot of situations where there is aid to protect you against their full power. The shield against Leviathan's tidal wave and against Bismark crashing into the island, fighting the spirit of Bahamut instead of his physical form, the weakened nature of the Triad, the various shields we end up with fighting the Great Wyrms, the blessing of light's shield against Ultima. It's not consistent but there are more than enough instances to show that the WoL needs their friends and aid to pull off the things they do. They are certainly amazing and unusually powerful, but I think putting it all down to some sort of apotheosis goes against the theme and story of the game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So I finally did it. I finally completed my Ragnarok Zeta. It was a hard, tedious, expensive road, but I did it. The zeta step didn't even take 90 minutes. I got lucky and Sastasha was in bonus mode so it was 6 minutes a mahatma. What a victory lap!

I want to thank you guys for lending me advice on it, it really did help. The primary reason I resubbed to this game was because I saw this quest and wanted to do it. I'm glad I saw it through. I don't normally feel accomplished when I play games; it's not why I play. But boy do I feel proud of myself now. It feels so good to see all my efforts pay off by seeing "Zodiac Saga Complete" pop up.

Now to complete Heavensward and get caught up with the Anima quest. :getin:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Obligatum VII posted:

can a Primal Summoner summon themself?

Catgirl-Egi?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tae posted:

Man I hope I hit that supposed patch of story again at some point, because the constant grind in the early 40's is really bad and this fetch quest for corrupted crystals across multiple regions is the worst in a while.
The 40s is by far the worst part of the MSQ, and it's only going to get worse before it gets better. Stay strong.

Also protip: once you get to the full party instances around level 49, try to do them with a FC or goon group that will let you watch the cutscenes. The very end of ARR is a failed experiment in storytelling inside of instances and if you want to see the story you will have a miserable time in DF.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 16, 2016

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
46-50 is the worst it gets, at least it felt that way when I played through it. It's the first time the game tells you to just go figure out gaining a few levels on your own without offering anything to help that process along, so all of your progress grinds to a halt.

But it's totally worth it! Even getting a second job to 50 isn't as bad as that first time around.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

CeallaSo posted:

46-50 is the worst it gets, at least it felt that way when I played through it. It's the first time the game tells you to just go figure out gaining a few levels on your own without offering anything to help that process along, so all of your progress grinds to a halt.

But it's totally worth it! Even getting a second job to 50 isn't as bad as that first time around.

I found it to be the second worst. The whole buildup to Tidus was the worst.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

homeless snail posted:

The 40s is by far the worst part of the MSQ, and it's only going to get worse before it gets better. Stay strong.

Also protip: once you get to the full party instances around level 49, try to do them with a FC or goon group that will let you watch the cutscenes. The very end of ARR is a failed experiment in storytelling inside of instances and if you want to see the story you will have a miserable time in DF.

The other day I joined a PF that advertised an min ilvl, all cutscenes journey through Praetorium. We managed to get enough people to do so and it was an extremely refreshing experience. Being concerned about whether or not we'll be able to burn the final boss before Ultima is cast or remembering to dodge the crashing airships was like stepping into a time machine.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CeallaSo posted:

It's probably worse now that the North Thanalan bot FATE train isn't a thing anymore, right?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's not all bad, do PotD once or twice, grind some fates to catch up on GC ranks/get your favorite yokai weapon and you're done.

vv: Yeah, my friend is 47 and them some, and hasn't even done all his 46 MSQ yet, and those give tons of xp now.

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 16, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its also just way way easier to get EXP in general now, if you've been doing your LLDRs and challenge log and stuff you will probably not even hit much of a roadblock at all at this point at 48 or whenever

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A thing I read said PotD is about 30% of a level for floors 1-10, and increases after that.

Is that 30% per floor, or 30% once you do all 10?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Once you do all 10.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That doesn't sound like very good experience until like the 40s then.

So FATE run at low levels still, I guess?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
At low levels, just do MSQ and if you ever get caught up, a few sidequests and the leveling roulette.

FATEs on the first class are fairly trash, because you're missing the 100% armoury bonus.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

CeallaSo posted:

Haha this is exactly where I'm at now. I'm in no rush to get to 50 though, but it is a little annoying. Speaking of 50, once I hit 50 and starting doing post 2.0 content, do I want to buy Heavensward immediately so that I can gain levels in 2.1, 2.2, etc? Is that how it works? So that I can be like 53 or something before I even hit heavensward content.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That's exactly how that works, yes.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Truga posted:

That's exactly how that works, yes.

Awesome, thanks.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Because I put such a huge focus on completing my relic before I do Heavensward quests, I was level 57 before I stepped into Ishgard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Truga posted:

At low levels, just do MSQ and if you ever get caught up, a few sidequests and the leveling roulette.

FATEs on the first class are fairly trash, because you're missing the 100% armoury bonus.

Oh, I'm not new. I have no MSQ left. I just have other classes to level and didn't know if PotD replaced fates or what.

• Locked thread