Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

NTRabbit posted:

Just had a game of Lucioball ruined by a team mate with a name made out of Korean characters who was clearly a bot, just skating around and spazzing in different directions not actually participating

Living in Asia myself and having played with plenty of Koreans, there's a decent chance it wasn't a bot and was actually just a retarded idiot learning the game. Koreans are absolutely the worst people to play with at the non-tournament level. Motherfuckers never shut up and play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

LCL-Dead posted:

I'd like to find where my bottleneck is..

I run the following:
i5 2500k @ 4.2
GTX 980
8GB RAM
Game is installed on an SSD and graphics are set to maximum @ 1080p.

When not streaming my fps is unlimited (when streaming I cap it to 80 to leave the GPU some room for the stream). When uncapped I fluctuate between 110 and 180fps but I see people running 970's and older cards (Namely the 780 TI) streaming with fps counters stable up in the 190-210 range.

What the hell is holding me back?

Not to belabor it, but your 6 year old processor might be a start. Did you just forget how old that thing is? There's been literally 4+ iterations of the i5 since your processor came out. I have the same CPU running at a slightly higher clock speed (4.4) and it's been adequate to mediocre for well over 2 years, I'm not sure why you'd think otherwise unless you're a recent console convert that's not used to PC gaming.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 15, 2016

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Will Zarya's barriers completely mitigate a single hit heavier than their 200 health value? Like if she barriers herself and takes a single 300-damage hit, will she be left at full health or will she take 100?

edit: VVV Thanks!

Hydrocodone fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 15, 2016

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The people getting that FPS won't be on the highest settings either

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hydrocodone posted:

Will Zarya's barriers completely mitigate a single hit heavier than their 200 health value? Like if she barriers herself and takes a single 300-damage hit, will she be left at full health or will she take 100?

She'll be left at full health.

The trickier aspect of this mechanic is "how many actual hits are there in Reaper's ult?"

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Why does anyone need an FPS of 190?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hydrocodone posted:

Former, which is why Junkrat's tires can be good for an immediate 100 charge if you're on the ball.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Why does anyone need an FPS of 190?

I think there are a couple of visual features that only work if you can double your "desired" FPS, like for 3D monitors or whatever.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Hydrocodone posted:

Barriers completely negate the hit, even if it depletes it. It's why you can tank junkrat and dva ults even though they do more than 200 damage.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

That's actually what i'm planning on doing because i like watching TV shows from my 50 inch monitor when i don't game. Lets investigate together.

This might work and is not $500+ like a lot of the longer monitor arms:
https://www.amazon.com/LX-Desk-Mount-LCD-Arm/dp/B00358RIRC

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zikan posted:

Barriers completely negate the hit, even if it depletes it. It's why you can tank junkrat and dva ults even though they do more than 200 damage.

Doesn't her barrier also absorb earthshatter's effect, meaning if your team is behind her and she bubbles as he hammers down they won't get stunned?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zikan posted:

It's worth noting that every barrier or shield in the game works this way. A Reinhardt shield with 20 hitpoints left will take a DVa bomb on the chin and Winston's shield bubble works similarly.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think there are a couple of visual features that only work if you can double your "desired" FPS, like for 3D monitors or whatever.

Haha, what kind of an idiot buys a 3d monitor? Ahahaha.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Someone super tilted from being lit all the time.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Doesn't her barrier also absorb earthshatter's effect, meaning if your team is behind her and she bubbles as he hammers down they won't get stunned?

Yes, more specifically since earth shatter is a cone if you're up in his grill you will negate the entire ult since you're at the point. Being further back it will just stop you from getting stunned

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Yes it negates stuns if the bubble is live when the stun would hit, applies to hooks and flashbangs as well.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Verranicus posted:

well i mean if i had infinite money to spend on videogame junk it'd be cool to see how it works

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bolow posted:

Yes, more specifically since earth shatter is a cone if you're up in his grill you will negate the entire ult since you're at the point. Being further back it will just stop you from getting stunned

That's what it was! Thanks!

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I finally broke my losing streak earlier and have started to climb back up from rank 51. It's nice knowing that even though I went on such a depressing and seeming never ending streak of losses I still held on to the 50s due to player participation keeping me from losing too much of a rank.

In related news I wanted to show what happens when you get put onto a really really good team and contribute the bare minimum (tossing a harmony orb on the tank, discording what I can, getting copper in kills, objective kills, healing, and objective time) to an utter stomp.

Yes that is all the rank experience I earned. I thought it was funny.

Edit: Fixed broken image.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Teikanmi posted:

Living in Asia myself and having played with plenty of Koreans, there's a decent chance it wasn't a bot and was actually just a retarded idiot learning the game. Koreans are absolutely the worst people to play with at the non-tournament level. Motherfuckers never shut up and play.

Whats korean quickplay like. Or ranked, idc

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Verranicus posted:

3D movies are a thing, also some people are architects and newer versions of CAD can do 3D rendering. Some people use them for 3D art and stuff, too.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Fuzz posted:

3D movies are a thing, also some people are architects and newer versions of CAD can do 3D rendering. Some people use them for 3D art and stuff, too.

Ah, those kinds of idiots.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

pakman posted:

New Dev update talking about Season 2.

https://youtu.be/Nqh8tnHhIjg

I want Jeff's shirt.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Zikan posted:

For obvious reasons, this doesn't negate two self destructs in a row. Guess at what moment I figured that out? :v:

What I don't know is, if there's a shielded Zarya between me and the ult, will that protect me as well? Does her shield break LOS like Reinhardt's?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

LCL-Dead posted:

I run the following:
i5 2500k @ 4.2
GTX 980
8GB RAM

When not streaming my fps is unlimited (when streaming I cap it to 80 to leave the GPU some room for the stream). When uncapped I fluctuate between 110 and 180fps but I see people running 970's and older cards (Namely the 780 TI) streaming with fps counters stable up in the 190-210 range.

Your bottleneck is running the game on max settings, all the pros and high-level streamers you see getting higher framerates are running on everything low.

Also your cpu sort of, but mostly your graphics settings, Sandy Bridge is still sufficient for the great majority of games.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

LCL-Dead posted:

I run the following:
i5 2500k @ 4.2
GTX 980
8GB RAM

If you actually have every setting maxed out I would suggest turning some down. Also make sure Render Scale is set to 100% and not above.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/overwatch-performance-guide/

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Lord Hydronium posted:

What I don't know is, if there's a shielded Zarya between me and the ult, will that protect me as well? Does her shield break LOS like Reinhardt's?

I believe it does, like Mei's ice block.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
1-5000 rank scale lol.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Grammaton posted:

1-5000 rank scale lol.

It's better though

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the changes to the ranking system are good

making payload timebank is ok I guess but I'm not a fan of how timebank makes games ridiculously long

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Grammaton posted:

1-5000 rank scale lol.

Chess works on a 1-2400 ranking scale, so as you can see Overwatch is more than twice as good a game as chess.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I experienced tranquility today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QDr1aY1-4

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

after extensive testing (3 games), I have decided that pharah is good and fun

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Manatee Cannon posted:

Peer review checks out, pharah is good and fun according to my experiments too.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

Peer review checks out, pharah is good and fun according to my experiments too.

9 out of 10 players agree.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Always upvote Bastions and Pharas. You have to nurture the hubris for the end game.

Also never upvote the discord orb hero because I have no idea what that thing is all about. No one in sight and then *zip* purple goo all over.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 16, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

Also never upvote the discord orb hero because I have no idea what that thing is all about. No one in sight and then *zip* purple goo all over.

Embrace tranquility

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
YES! I didn't have to buy Fool skin.

http://imgur.com/a/HHWTi

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think you'll actually find that Pharah is fun and good.

Source: Pharah main

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

pakman posted:

New Dev update talking about Season 2.

https://youtu.be/Nqh8tnHhIjg

Jeff Kaplan posted:

For example, in our system, a person with a 60 skill rating is actually an amazing Overwatch player. If you had a 60 skill rating you were in the top 6% of all Overwatch players, but it didn't feel like that.

Wow, yea. I've been bouncing around 63-66 and I thought I was way lower than that. The new system will hopefully give a better feeling of how you actually stack up.