Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

GeneX posted:

I want a growlithe. I don't want to be a growlithe.

aw c'mon, EMBRACE your inner Furry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

GeneX posted:

Never read Pokemon ReBurst, then.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Chimera-gui posted:

Except that, as stated earlier, the cast were essentially merging with the remnants of their dead partners to become Digimon themselves. Hell the finale even showed original Legendary Warriors, the ones who died prior to the series, resurrected as the human Hybrid forms and talking to their respective partners before returning the kids to the human world.

haha yeah that's exactly the same as having an awesome dinosaur for a pet, if you don't think about it at all

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

On the flipside, Kabuterimon is considered an Ultimate in this game, despite being a Champion in official media.

Kabuterimon should count as an above-Mega because it's subjectively and objectively the best Digimon :colbert:

I never got further than beating the Seiryu Gym Leader so I'm really hoping the game has more amazing locations like Tyranno Valley. It was so cool to my 11 year-old self.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Partner Analyses Part Two

Anime fox and flying potroast. Okay.

Renamon

Starting Stats:
HP: 140
MP: 200
Str: 31
Def: 22
Spr: 61
Wis: 49
Spd: 36
Elemental Tolerances: Thunder > Ice > Water = Dark > Fire > Wind > Machine

Renamon is the obvious pick if you want to go a magical route; excellent MP and Spirit along with good Speed, and decent Wisdom to blunt magical attacks. Her natural Kyubimon line picks up Thunder and Ice magical assaults, which give her solid offensive options throughout the game - Ice is useful for Tyranno Valley and Thunder is nice against aquatic enemies. Her low HP and Defense are problems, as is low Machine tolerance, so treat the glass cannon with care. With her solid Speed and how easy it is to raise Strength in this game, you can even turn Renamon into a physical attacker.

Her alternate routes also open up that option. Renamon is one of two starters to have early access to the Paildramon line - most starters learn one half of the combination (ExVeemon/Stingmon), but don't learn the other til level 40 at least. Renamon can get access around level 20 or so. The Paildramon line offers a good mix of physical, magical and utility/healing moves, allowing Renamon to do nearly everything (although you'd want to stick to her natural line for magical offense). Alternatively, the Kabuterimon line (via Stingmon) goes into a much more physical route. The Growlmon line goes into a more supportive option, with stat boosts, stealing and counters, although poor on actual offensive moves. You do have to shore up her weak defenses, but past that Renamon's sheer versatility offers a lot of avenues - you can't go wrong with having her as an early pick.

Patamon

Starting Stats:
HP: 130
MP: 170
Str: 20
Def: 45
Spr: 48
Wis: 58
Spd: 29
Elemental Tolerances: Dark > Water = Wind > Ice > Fire = Machine > Thunder

Poor Patamon. He's both slow and frail, which is a really bad combination to have. Worst starting HP and Strength in combination with poor Speed render his decent mixed defenses nearly worthless, as he'll get doubled and can't really hit back. His Spirit is decent, but his natural line doesn't help him: the Angemon line only learns one element (Wind), and learns new attacks slowly, so he'll struggle to keep up even midgame. He does learn a lot of healing and defensive moves, but that just means he's good as a healing battery.

What about other routes? The Digitamamon route is a dead end. The MetalMamemon line can shore up his physical deficiencies somewhat, but there are several Digimon that also learn the line with better effect. Patamon does get access to the Paildramon and Greymon lines around level 20, but a bit later than he'd like - you won't be getting anywhere extensive with them without a bit of grinding.

Instead, where Patamon can focus his efforts on is that he's arguably the easiest starter to get access to a Mega - the Angewomon line is accessible fairly early on and offers two Mega routes. Phoenixmon turns Patamon into the ultimate healing option, if you want him to stick to his chosen role, with powerful healing, status cleansing, and revival moves. The Rosemon line has mixed offenses, albeit leaning in a physical direction. Notably, the Angewomon > Rosemon option is by far the earliest option for Water techs (which isn't an option for physicals without accessories). Water is great against Machines and so is a solid element midgame. You do still have to work against Patamon's poor starting stats, but he is workable. It just takes a lot of work.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Waterfall of Salt posted:

If I remember correctly, Digitamamon actually does not count as an Ultimate in this game, instead being a level in-between it and Champion. There's two other ultimates that are treated the same, but Digitamamon is an evolutionary dead end so it sucks.

Update: just checked, and Digitamamon IS considered an actual Ultimate and not a Champion-2, but it requires the same amount of DVEXP as an Ultimate-2 and gets its signature move at the same level as a Mega.
There are two that are in-between Champion and Ultimate (or champion-2 for short), but Devimon is not an Ultimate.
Funnily enough, Angewomon is treated as a Champion.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Instead, where Patamon can focus his efforts on is that he's arguably the easiest starter to get access to a Mega - the Angewomon line is accessible fairly early on and offers two Mega routes. Phoenixmon turns Patamon into the ultimate healing option, if you want him to stick to his chosen role, with powerful healing, status cleansing, and revival moves. The Rosemon line has mixed offenses, albeit leaning in a physical direction. Notably, the Angewomon > Rosemon option is by far the earliest option for Water techs (which isn't an option for physicals without accessories). Water is great against Machines and so is a solid element midgame. You do still have to work against Patamon's poor starting stats, but he is workable. It just takes a lot of work.
Rosemon is treated as an Ultimate-2 ingame and Phoenixmon is the continuation of that line, so I wouldn't call it two routes.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Never read Pokemon ReBurst, then.

Pokemon ReBurst you say?

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

GeneX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylEOJIssF2c

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh huh. Didn't think it was that well known.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh huh. Didn't think it was that well known.

The Pokemon community has been speculating to hell and back that ReBurst's mechanics are going to be in Generation 7. Probably untrue, but it wouldn't surprise me.

mateo360 posted:

SO I went and got a copy of Digimon World Dawn for me to play while I am on my trip next week. :shepicide:

Trade it in for Dusk before it's too late!

GeneX posted:

Oh so not like in Digimon Tamers or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ephraim225 posted:

Trade it in for Dusk before it's too late!

Dawn has the cooler starter (Coronamon), the better rival, and you get to beat up Newton and Gutts instead of tolerating them.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Dawn has the cooler starter (Coronamon), the better rival, and you get to beat up Newton and Gutts instead of tolerating them.

Ignoring that adorable bunnies win every time with me, can you start Dawn with a PLUSH PANDA?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I will probably re-buy Dusk at some point after my trip. Dawn was the one I happened to find at my used game store.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Ephraim225 posted:

The Pokemon community has been speculating to hell and back that ReBurst's mechanics are going to be in Generation 7. Probably untrue, but it wouldn't surprise me.

ReBurst seems like spinoff territory to me.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Update 6: Crazy Train

Alright, folks, we've got a lot of stuff to cover, so let's get to it.

First things first, we're actually going to be leaving Seiryu City, rather than talk to that suit that I ended on last time. Don't worry, we'll still be getting to that, I just want to do something SUPER IMPORTANT first.

Click for ambience!

Namely, plot!

It's about drat time!

Teddy: Hey, Kite! This is big! Really big!

Teddy: Lucky Mouse! Lucky Mouse appeared!

Ducky Lucky the sky is falling!

...The rest of this game will now be portrayed as a Tom & Jerry skit featuring giant dinosaur monsters.

Kite: What? Lucky Mouse?
Teddy: Don't you know? He's a genius hacker! He can hack into any program!

Pictured: my reaction to pretty much anything this game throws at me in a nutshell.

Teddy: I'm a big fan of his. I really want to meet him!

A fan of a hacker at this young age? That doesn't bode well. In a rare twist, Kite is being sensible.

DING DONG DING DONG. For whom do the bells toll? For a System Announcment, actually.

Tron: We will be undergoing emergency maintenance at this time. Because of this, you won't be able to return to the Real World, but you won't be charged during this time.
Tron: ...I repeat. Everyone will be playing for free!

Normally, I'd complain that this kind of announcement is complete horseshit since you should mandate all players log OFF before maintenance. But given that the start of the cutscene force-fed the info about Lucky Mouse, then it's likely his doing with a fake announcement.

Everyone heard that, Teddy, you idiot.

:ughh:

Teddy: I'm sure Lucky Mouse had something to do with that! Man, I can't stand it. I'm gonna go find Luckly Mouse.

Game, do I need to implement a Fuckup Tally? This is starting to get annoying.

Please do. :allears:

Teddy proceeds to give zero fucks about his erstwhile friend and wanders off to go search for some hacker/cracker/whatever.

Kite: He left.
Kite: ...............
Kite: He's always like that when he gets excited.

So, in summation: We've been given half a scoop of plot - there's some hacker who may or may not be in the game, and there's also some problem going on with the servers that means the players inside have to stay inside. In other words, though we're playing for free, we're stuck here.

Incidentally, if this wasn't a fake announcement, then it's poor management by the admins. You can't force your players to stay inside, game. :argh:

Click for music!

However, Kite doesn't give a poo poo about any of this, there's Digimon Online to play~! So anyway, let's figure out what this weirdo wants.

DRI Jimmy: Oh, I'm Jimmy. I research at the DRI.
DRI Jimmy: Hey if you have time, can you help me? It's easy. Just get a Guilmon DDNA from WarGrowlmon. If you do it, I'll add Guilmon as your partner!

Y'know, I'm curious, now. Would Digimon even have DNA? Deoxyribonucleic acid does contain the blueprints for the human body - all the genomes and such - but wouldn't that be just the code used to generate the Digimon?

Pictured: Jimmy's position represents my tenous grasp of the game so far.

Click for ambience!

So theoretically, we've been tasked to go slaughter an Ultimate Digimon (ignore the fact we have one of our own, Digitamamon doesn't really count) and then beat it up and steal the blueprints on how to construct it.

Though, we have numbers on our side. So an Ultimate's not as big a deal as you might think. Plus, we have an actual brain and items to rely on. Don't be scared of the challenge, wussies. :colbert:

DRI Johann: I'm looking for MetalGreymon... But I have no idea where he is. If I can get Agumon's DDNA, I can proceed with my research...
DRI Johann: Oh! If you see him, can you get the DDNA from him? I'll add Agumon as your partner as a reward!

And judging by the 'reward', we'll be using that incomplete data to recreate a younger, less evolved version of the monster we attack as our own personal slave partner. They're creating life (and probably some version of a personality matrix/rudimentary AI, given the greetings the Digimon gave us at the very beginning).

Click for ambience!

But if we could do that from the start, why not simply generate legions of weak Rookie Digimon and throw numbers at the problem? I mean, Johann gets a pass simply because he doesn't know where MetalGreymon is and we're adventuring, so we're simply more likely to find the target. But Jimmy just tells us to get the DDNA, so he might actually know where WarGrowlmon is and is just having us do his grunt work.

I would presume 1 Ultimate, canonically and not gameplay-wise, is like 1,000 Rookies.

Click for music!

Regardless, we're now in the East Station. We could have visited this sooner, but there was no reason to do so, since we couldn't leave East Sector until we'd defeated the Seiryu Leader. Now that we've done so, we can move on to South Sector.

"Who the gently caress is that awful looking kid?"

Barring that one girl just standing in the corner, there's... not a whole lot to do here.

So let's talk to her!

Ahahahaha, this is your date spot? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tamer Tomomi: ...but it's more fun playing games with everyone else!

Well, her title is Tamer, so that means we can fight her!

Tamer Tomomi: If I win the battle, I just won't go on the date!

I hope the guy/girl she'll be meeting is nice.

How do you even know it's a human? It's the Internet, it can be a loving dog.

o poo poo it's Slippy

Click for music!

Her first two Digimon aren't very threatening. Honestly, we've dealt with worse by this point, so there's no reason to even talk about them.

Her final partner, however, is a new(?) face. RedVegiemon is... it's, um... it's got spiked clubs on the end of its vines? I'm not sure why. It dies just as quickly in the end, though.

Duh, it's called a SHINY. It's a shiny Victreebel.

Tamer Tomomi: This had better be an enjoyable game!

Sure thing, brat. Didn't you hear the announcement anyway? Nobody can leave. You're all stuck in here, so you wouldn't be able to go on your date anyway. (I'm pretty sure we can fight Tomomi earlier, so this line would make slightly more sense if you hear it before we beat the crap out of Seiryu Leader and got that announcement.)

Well, now that the important bits are out of the way, let's get going to South Sector.

Kite: ...Huh?! Who's in charge here? Where is everyone?

If I were a more... suspicious LPer, I'd be wondering why this system needed to reboot in the first place.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01101111 00101101 01000111 01101001 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01101100 01101001 01101110 01100101 00101110 00100000 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01100101 01101110 01100011 01101001 01101110 01100111 00111010 00100000 01000100 01101001 01110011 01110010 01100101 01110011 01110000 01100101 01100011 01110100 00100000 01010000 01110010 01101111 01110100 01101111 01100011 01101111 01101100

Kite: Woah, what?!
Tron: I AM THE OPERATING SYSTEM OF DEEPER CREVICE'S GONDOLA. TO TURN ON THE GONDOLA HEADED TOWARDS SOUTH SECTOR, ACCOUNT REGISTRATION WITH A BLUE CARD IS REQUIRED. DIGIMON BORN FROM A BLUE CARD POSSESS IT, THEREFORE OBTAIN IT FROM THOSE DIGIMON.

Sorry for the capslock, folks. Except Giver. I'm not apologizing to him.

01010011 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101001 01100011 01101011

Kite: ...hmm... I think that's Guilmon... I should go ask Guilmon in the city.

Renamon is also born from a blue card, actually (if we're talking about the cards in this game. No idea in the official TCG) and we have one of those in the party. Speaking of, no, you don't get off easy if you started with the Maniac Pack, you still have to go speak with this other Guilmon.

But hey, there was that Guilmon in Seiryu City, so let's just go talk to him, get the Blue Card, and then we can be on our

gently caress. He's gone.

...Robo-Giver mode deactivated. Disrespect Protocol still engaged.

Look at that piece of poo poo on top of the chair.

Nowhere in the city, either. So... Where else was there a Guilmon?

Oh, oh, I know!

:effortless:

Ugh. Backtracking.

In good news, though, Angemon hit level 30, and Patamon has at least 180 base Intelligence, so we've unlocked Angewomon. I've already got a good physical attacker, and a good magical attacker, so I'm sending Patamon down the support route. Angewomon won't be getting many attacks, but the end of the route (Rosemon, and eventually Pheonixmon) have very powerful healing Techs, both for health and for status. If I want physical techs, I'll stick with the level-up route for Patamon.

Angewomon? These loving names.

Before we can enter Asuka City, though, we have to deal with this chucklefuck. He looks like Giver, in that the very sight of him makes me feel homicidal.

So you're saying he looks very cool and can wreck your rear end in a second.

Interestingly enough, one sentence is enough for me to feel homicidal, too. Giver, did you manage to get a cameo in this game?

I've been in many games, dude. There's even a game that was inspired by my tendencies. Take a look

Hey! I'm playing Digimon here!

Mystery Man: Of course! I mean you! You're Kite, who beat Seiryu Leader, aren't you?
Kite: Yeah...and you are...?

Kite, when a mystery man comes up to you and knows exactly who you are, the answer is not 'And who are you, Mr. Stranger with a van and candy?' He even has the loving trenchcoat too!

Giver's terrible behaviour strikes again! :pedo:

Keith: I'm the one that's going to win the tournament!
Kite: Oh yeah? We'll just have to wait and see!
Keith: Ha ha ha, I see! Then you want to battle with me?
Kite: Go for it!
Keith: Sorry, but I'm not going to pull any punches!

Maybe he'll actually be a challenge.

Click to watch the fight!

First off, for those who won't or can't watch the video, the battle music this time is the Leader battle theme - meaning he's roughly on par with the Seiryu Leader, adjusted for being about five minutes down the plot. Like the Seiryu Leader, he's got three Digimon.

Unlike the Seiryu Leader, however, he's not a total pushover. His Triceramon has a ton of health, and hits like a truck. Granted, I'm using Angewomon, who has basically no defenses or attack power, but still...

That being said, everything dies when Dinohumon comes out to play.

His second Digimon is a Kuwagamon, which gets met by Angewomon (remember, I loaded the Air Blast Tech, so I can still swat the bugs without Angemon).

And his final Digimon, uh...

...yeah.

Caterpie no

:woot: We won.

Not that it was in any doubt, of course.

It always is with your incompetent skills.

Keith: Ha! I went easy on you kid.
Kite: I thought you said you weren't pulling punches.

:iceburn:

Keith: I don't know what you're talking about! You better watch out. I'll get you next time!
Keith: Don't forget me. Sayonara, sucker!

You, uh... you tell him, Kite.

Anyway, now that we've taken care of that idiot, let's head in to Asuka City.

Mika: I can keep on playing!
Patamon: I'm happy I can play with everyone!

Some of the NPCs have new dialogue since we've heard the announcement.

Hm...

Welp! We ruined a potential relationship. We're just great hereos!

The spawn camper has some new dialogue too.

But more importantly, he'll refight us.

He hasn't changed much - his first Kuwagamon got beefed up a little - but he's also added this green Kuwagamon to his roster. It's...

How many loving shinies are there?

It's still a Kuwagamon. Two Air Blasts takes it down.

Anyway, that's enough of that silliness. Let's go get that Guilmon, get the Blue Card, and then get down to

Oh COME ON.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Take that!

Patamon, did you do this?

Don't blame Pikachu! Abuse! Abuse! Someone call PETD!

Ugh. Now I have to run around Asuka City to find this stupid lizard.

While doing so, however...

Click for music!

We've apparently stumbled on a pit fighting ring. I can take them!

:smith: : Divine Barrier, admired by all members! The Patamon exclusive shield will start at 400 BIT!

Oh, never mind, false alarm. It's just an underground auction.

I bid 3 bottlecaps and 1 GeneralYeti

400 BITs is too rich for these dweebs, though.

After a few bids, RPG Fan Masao raises it up to 700 BIT.

Kite: Hmm... 800 BIT...hmmm...

Yeah, I'm gonna be bidding. It's only a shield (i.e. useless) but it's exclusive, and a lot cheaper than it would be normally. You can get another one in one of the late game shops.

:smith: : Wow! 800 BIT! Anyone above 800 BIT?

No one has the stones or wallet to go against us.

:smith: : Seems like there's no one else. Divine Barrier is sold for 800 BIT! Congratulations to you over there! I'm transferring the item to your satellite now!

Hooray, go us. Now for it to languish in our inventory forever or until I need to sell it for a quick amount.

Kite: OK, I got a pretty cool item, so let's go somewhere.

Click for music!

Something I found out since we first visited El Dorado - the amount of Charisma needed to get in and the amount needed for the El Dorado ID is different. You need 150 Charisma combined to actually enter, but you need 210 to get the ID. The thing is, by the time you get 150 Charisma, you'll probably have a full set of equipment (about... 60 per Digimon, so 180 for the total) and have leveled up a few times, breaking 210 Charisma easily. That's why I thought it was the same amount for both.

W00t! A trainer battle! Money and XP here we come!

The reason I bring it up is because the El Dorado ID gets us access to the back.

:smith: Junior: Then you can go ahead and pass through.

The back room has two exits, one on ground floor and one up that rope ladder.

The top shop doesn't have much of interest, just some Super Charges. They're the next rank of healing item, up to 2000 HP instead of just 500. They're also more expensive, and I have Patamon able to do healing, so I don't bother buying any.

Riggs from LA (the guy off to the right): What? Divine Barrier isn't here either? This is weird... I heard that it was in Asuka City!

This is our only real hint that the auction exists. Only problem is, the game never tells you when a new auction item goes up for sale, and if you miss the auction (i.e. keep progressing with the story instead of schlepping back to Asuka City) you miss out on the item for sale.

:negative: I HATE missable items in RPGs. HATE.

The bottom shop is our real prize, though.

Miss Asami (off to the left): Only the selected few can come here.

It's not all that exclusive, though? All you need to do is buy a full set of equipment for your Digimon partners.

The Heavy Armory, on the other hand, is frankly ridiculous.

It is, however, a little out of my price range. For now.

Grinding time!

(Which means that I went out, fought Coelamon, Cardmon, and Divermon until I had enough money to buy Kotemon the Zweihander, the first instance of a two-handed weapon. I only get one weapon boost, and eat a speed penalty of about 8, but I also get a 150 power boost so gently caress the speed loss, I can just train to raise it again.)

Back to not breaking the game over my knee, we find the Guilmon chilling out in the Inn's second floor. rear end in a top hat.

Keep on truckin', Charmeleon. :allears:

Guilmon: Huh? Blue Card? Oh, the gondola thing. Sorry, I don't have it, but my cousin does. He said he's going to Seiryu City. But he's hungry, so he may stop somewhere to eat.

Rssm frssm. Stupid MMO quests and sending us all over the place...

Copious amounts of grinding and fetch quests with little to no plot. This really is an MMO!

Well, this is the only place to stop and rest between here and Seiryu, so hopefully we can just get the stupid card here.

Hooray! We've found him! Now to get the-

Guilmon: I don't have it, another Guilmon has it. I think he went to Seiryu City.

:tizzy:

This is bullshit. YOU ALL LOOK THE SAME.

You'd better have the loving card or I SWEAR TO YGGDRASIL- Meh, who am I kidding? There's no way he'll have-

Tricky Guilmon: Hmm? Blue Card? I have it! You want it? Then I'll give it to you!

...huh. Well then.

Finally. We have the Blue Card, we can go on the loving gondola even though it's clearly some train-like platform, let's just GO.

Kite: OK, now this time it should work.
Tron: Beep. Beep. PLEASE WAIT. CONFIRMING DATA.
Tron: ......BLUE CARD CANNOT BE CONFIRMED. TERMINATING ACCOUNT REGISTRATION...

:what:

Charmeleon is now the worst Pokemon in this game.

WHAT.

Kite: I have the Blue Card! ...Huh?! What?! This isn't the Blue Card! The B is an 8! This is a 8lue Card!
Kite: Hey, this is a fake! I've been tricked!

:whoptc: KITE! HOW DID YOU NOT SEE THIS BEFOREHAND. The name is loving FITTING now!

ARGH :bang: I'm going to hunt down that Guilmon and MAKE A NEW PAIR OF SHOES OUT OF HIM.

He can run but he can't hide. I will find him, and when I do there will be bloodshed.

Answer me. Where is your friend.

:toughguy:

Guilmon: 8lue Card??? ......?! Oh! It's a fake that Trickster Guilmon made. He just ran out of here.

I am aware. Now, unless you want to be next, I suggest you tell me where I can find your friend.

Guilmon: He's probably hiding somewhere. Umm... he likes it underground, so... He's probably hiding in a place like a basement with ghosts...

Excellent.

Oh good. We've found him.

Trick Guilmon: Oops! You found me... H-hey! I'm sorry! OK, I'll give you the real Blue Card. Go to East Station. Heh heh heh... I'm just kidding! It'll work this time, promise.

This one is the actual Blue Card. Fun fact: if you look at your key items for whatever reason, you still can't get around having to go through this event. It'd be pretty neat if they added that in, but alas.

Kite: Great! Now I get access!
Tron: Beep Beep... PLEASE WAIT. CONFIRMING DATA.
Kite: It worked! Now I can go to South Sector!

loving finally.

See? Clearly some sort of moving platform and not a gondola.

Suddenly, the gondola platform slows to a stop.

Tron: Code Red! Code Red! We will stop momentarily for safety reasons.

Groudon WHY

Safety reasons being known as a giant gently caress-off earthquake with giant gently caress-off boulders.

And... whatever this is.

Kite: What the...? Is that a Digimon?!

The first time I saw this jerk, I thought we were going to be fighting Apokarimon. That actually might cause me some trouble.

Click to watch the fight!

This one has the boss music and a pretty nifty background.

Name: Bulbmon (Boss)
Level: Ultimate
Location: Asuka - Deeper Crevice: Riding the Gondola from the East Sector to the South Sector for the first time

Drops: None

3 STR, 4 DEF, 3 SPR, 2 WIS, 4 SPD,
2 FIRE, 3 WATER, 3 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 3 MACHINE, 2 DARK

Regular Attack: Machine Element
Technique: Mad Pump (Physical-Water)

Not sure why it's called Bulbmon - it's Japanese name is Valvemon, which is something slightly more apropos, but only slightly.

It's physical attack isn't too dangerous, but it'll do about 150-ish damage to Dinohumon.

Mad Pump would theoretically be more damaging, but Dinohumon blocked it so :shrug:

Either way, this is an unwinnable fight - after Bulbmon hits red health, any and all attacks do 0 damage and it runs away like a little bitch.

Oh no it's bubbleman

It just rolls away and does literally nothing else. I don't even know why it attacked us.

Kite: Ah... Hey, wait! Shoot, it got away.
Tron: Thank you for waiting. We will now resume gondola operation.

It only took five boss fights and two and a half trips to and from Asuka City to make it here.

Kite: But I wonder what that Digimon was...

Well, we're here. It's a shithole. What fun.

i'm not bitter about guilmon

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 25, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bulbmon is a total jerk, to my recollection.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Does the plot normally take this long to get rolling, or is it just Yeti's grinding?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

giver336 posted:

Does the plot normally take this long to get rolling, or is it just Yeti's grinding?

This game is just grindy as gently caress. He's really not overleveled at all, though he has done so a bit smarter than a first time player would.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I too, on my first playthrough, thought the game had just tossed a wild Apokarimon encounter after the Pewter City Gym. I was like "welp, this is probably one of those unwinnable encounters"

Then it turned out that it was Apokarimon's chair. Still a pretty unwinnable fight for a first timer if you didn't have the precaution to grind

dis astranagant posted:

This game is just grindy as gently caress. He's really not overleveled at all, though he has done so a bit smarter than a first time player would.

Not overleveled but save state scamming training sessions DOES make a HUGE difference, since you will get your major stat boosts from there. Specially when RNG just wants to make a little 10 year old playing this game cry and gives you 3 Xs in a row after saving up 10 TPs.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

dis astranagant posted:

He's roughly the levels you'd be at this point with minimal training and there is a reason to wait with that, so I would say he's a lil bit overleveled, but nothing significant. Training just has a massive effect on your power levels.

Game's still grindy though

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm pretty sure I only beat Bulbmon by Blasting three times, the first time I played this. Was a hell of a wakeup call.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
That encounter with Keith was my introduction to Blast digivolution back when I first played this as a kid. I hadn't been expecting a boss fight right before the city and was in no condition for it due to earlier grinding, so suddenly having a SkullGreymon to crush the fight with was pretty great.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
God I had a ton of trouble fighting Apokarimon-Lite the first time I played this. It was one of my first RPGs (FF9, Chrono Cross, Pokemons Blue/Yellow and Golden Sun being some of my first ones as well), needless to say I survived the fight by the skin of my teeth and limped back to Seiryu City right afterwards to heal. I didn't exactly get the "concept" of grinding until the early-mid 2000s.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Valvemon is pretty much the first (of many!) difficulty spikes in the game, and the moment Digimon World 3 leaves it very clear that it expects you to grind your heart out. In my latest playthrough, I just bought Blast items and used them to win, because gently caress it is pretty dang strong and I had no idea about type weaknesses.

Also I feel you two are overthinking the DDNA thing. It's a MMO, in-game. This is just a sidequest to get new Digimon into your party. It justifies itself! Those researchers are probably NPCs even in-game.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

See, it's Digital DNA. So yes, it's literally just code.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Fun fact about Bulbmon's name, valve is romanized as "barubu" which can also be the romanization for "bulb".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like the idea of your starter town having more shops that unlock as you progress in the game and find poo poo.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

gently caress your difficulty curve

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

GeneralYeti posted:

RIP game.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
And thus everyone who high-fived Renamon died, the end.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GeneralYeti posted:

If I know anything about MMOs, they're going to patch that guy and Kite's account is banned.

GawainStark
Apr 9, 2016
Wow, I never realized how strong the counter crest was.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

GawainStark posted:

Counter Crest alleviates a lot of the horrible grinding the game makes you do otherwise. It makes the game so much more playable.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

ApplesandOranges posted:

Counter Crest alleviates a lot of the horrible grinding the game makes you do otherwise. It makes the game so much more playable.

Unfortunately the PAL version killed it with a nuke from orbit, nerfing it's simple existence of breaking the game into the ground.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

GawainStark posted:

I really don't know how the Counter Crest formula works, but the harder you get hit, as long as you survive, you will most likely one shot or at least do insane damage back to your enemy. So once you get the item, you could potentially speedrun the whole game with minimal grinding and spend your turns using healing items.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Counter Crest deals the same damage you took to the enemy.

Pal Counter Crest is still crazy good, even if it doesn't proc every time.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Update 7: Increment Counter
(Alternate title: Mirror, Mirror.)
(Alternate alternate title: Where in the World is CarmenSandiegomon?)
Actual title: Stop Hitting Yourself

Man, I'd be sold on that last one if I weren't so married to the lovely programming joke.

Click for ambience!

Last time, I ended up getting just a bit angry, but we've made it to the South Sector at last. There shouldn't be much trouble - hopefully it'll be in, out, and off to West or North Sector.

Yeah, right. This game and brevity are mortal enemies.

Click for music!

That being said, gently caress actually progressing. I have something much more important to do.

And this LP, too, apparently.

Namely, these two schmucks.

Andy's Groupie: Andy is going to be the World Champ!

Tamer Andy: I am Andy yah. A genius tamer from Switzerland! Naturally, I am the Server Champ! I'll prove it by showing you my powers.
Tamer Andy: Digimon Battle is fine, yah?

Yes, yes yes yes yes! OH MAN am I looking forward to this fight!

The gently caress kinda accent is this. That ain't swiss...?

Click for music!

Not you, get the hell out of my way.

Dinohumon proceeds to do quad-digit damage. Weaknesses are great.

You! Yes, you! Die for me, please?

(This is Tuskmon, I'll talk about him later when he actually shows up as random battles.)

Big Digimon, small name.

The important thing about Tuskmon, however, is that they have a chance to drop this. This is instrumental in breaking the game, so getting one a whole Sector early is a major power boost.

Counter Crests are our first real Accessory - sure, we could get a Water Power 1 from fighting Seadramon, but they were a bit too strong back in East Server, so this is likely our first one. Its effect, when equipped, allows the Digimon to counter any physical move, dealing an equal amount of damage to the attacker. This damage is then run through the elemental property filter, so if you have an elemental boost to one of your attacks (like, say, the Water Power 1 we get from Seadramon) it'll get modified from there. If you hit a weakness, you actually do more damage than they did to you.

:wtc: That sounds loving GROSS. Lemme guess, enemies spamming Magic becomes abundant late-game.

Lemme try it out!

No :v: I want to hurt you :v:

Just don't hurt Mr.Fuzzums. NONE OF YOU HURT MR. FUZZUMS.

Tamer George: I'll show who's the boss in Digimon Battle![...sic?]

Alright, so this guy also has two Digimon. He leads with Vademon, whose regular attacks can put your Digimon to sleep. Sleep is an irritating status effect, especially since it's entirely possible to wake up and then immediately be put back to sleep. Fortunately, sleep can wear off even when the Digimon is swapped out, so if your partner does get afflicted, just swap them out for another one and keep doing so until you finally have a chance to punch Vademon's face it.

Of course, it'll only put your Digimon to sleep if it gets a chance to attack. Dinohumon's sword to the face suggests otherwise.

(Again, I'll go over all the new faces when we finally have a chance to fight them in random battles unless they're Tamer-unique monsters, or the signature monster of a Leader/Rival/other important person.)

His second Digimon is Thundermon, another one of the 'round ball with arms and legs' Digimon. I don't know why that particular shape is so popular, but it really is... Every member of the Mamemon line, this guy, Nanimon...

Because it's lazy as poo poo.

Thundermon likes throwing out Thunder Gemini, a fairly powerful Thunder-type attack.

I had to sandbag for a while (thanks, Dinohumon, for learning Small Heal) just to get this to happen, but here we go!

:eyepop: Bruce Lee, is that you?

See? Equal damage. Not so useful right now, since Dinohumon hits for over 700, but every little bit counts, right?

The reason, though, that Counter Crest is so broken is that the devs made a mistake when coding how it works. For whatever reason (a bad line of code, a poor if check, whatever) the Counter Crest triggers every. SINGLE. TIME. Coupled with my ridiculously high speed, that means I get two to three attacks to their one, depending on the attack.

Excuse me while I go laugh maniacally at the poor, tattered shreds of this game's difficulty.

:eek: Zero tension in alll gameplay videos from now on, people. Not that there was any to begin with.

Oh hello. I didn't, uh, realize that you'd be... right here...

Oh poo poo it's a Legendary. SAVE YOUR GAME. STOCK UP ON ULTRA BALLS.

So hey guess what we found MetalGreymon, guys :v:

MetalGreymon: ...hm? What?
Kite: Hey, MetalGreymon. I have a favor to ask... Can I get an Agumon DDNA sample from your DDNA?
MetalGreymon: Ummm, sorry, but I can't give it to you that easily. If you really want it, you'll have to win it from me!

Bring it on :black101:

This dude just told Kite to get a blood sample by punching him in the face.

So, MetalGreymon.

!!! MR. CUDDLES!

Name: MetalGreymon
Level: Ultimate

Drops: Agumon DDNA

3 STR, 4 DEF, 4 SPR, 2 WIS, 1 SPD,
5 FIRE, 3 WATER, 1 ICE, 3 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 4 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 160, BIT: 340

Regular Attack: No Element
Technique: Giga Destroyer (Magic, Machine element)

Please note that the stat spread is a rough estimate based on the Digivolutions boosts. I can't find any hard data on him. I can't say for certain how effective certain attacks would be.
Regardless of that, MetalGreymon's kinda tough. He's our first real Ultimate fight; the others don't count, since they're plot-gated, but this guy is entirely optional and so has the difficulty to match. I'm going against him with just Dinohumon because Dinohumon is ridiculously strong against him (thanks to 1. the Zweihander from the Heavy Armory and 2. Frost Cutter.)

His signature attack is the Giga Destroyer, where he shoots grinning missiles out of his tits. :shrug:

...MR. CUDDLES COMMANDS YOU TO SUCK HIS TITS, PUNY DIGIMON.

Hey, remember how I said that Counter Crest triggers on every physical attack? :v:

Boom! Ultimate down. It helped that even though Giga Destroyer did 600 damage, Small Heal healed more than that, and Dinohumon got two turns to MetalGreymon's one. Without that, I'd be stuck in a sandbag loop (I'd only get to attack twice before having to heal for about 6 turns, assuming worst-case scenario of constant Giga Destroyers).

Mr. Cuddles, no. :eng99:

MetalGreymon: Well, I did make a promise... Use it well!
Kite: Yeah, I got the Agumon DDNA! Thanks, MetalGreymon!

We'll drop that off later.

If we head south from there, that leads us to the Bulk Bridge. There's one new encounter here, and it's a plentiful one:

This thing makes fun of itself.

Name: Gekomon
Level: Champion
Location: Asuka South - Bulk Swap, Tranquil Swamp, Bulk Bridge, Jungle Grave

Drops: Ice Power 1

3 STR, 3 DEF, 4 SPR, 4 WIS, 3 SPD,
2 FIRE, 3 WATER, 1 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 41, BIT: 85

Regular Attack: No Element
Technique: Confuse Gas (Magic, Chance of Confuse)

Confuse is a status effect that's pretty funny. I'll show it off as soon as I get afflicted with it, but unfortunately my Digimon have evaded every Gekomon's attack and then slaughtered the offender in one shot. ...Oops? I'm sure we'll get it eventually, probably at the most annoying time if my luck is any indication.

The only other encounters Coelamon, who isn't much of a problem anymore, and the green Yanmamon. The Cardmon in the trees have upgraded too - they now have two boosters on their heads instead of just one.

I hope you like brown, since that's the defining color palette for the first half of this Sector.

:barf: Boring and putrid.

Tamer Mei Lin: There are many tamers in China too! Then let's Digimon Battle! I'll show you my Digimon kung-fu style!

So, would that be a kung-fu style based on Digimon attacks, or her showing us her Digimon, kung-fu style? Punctuation is important, you know.

Yeti without Giver is nothing. Punctuation can't save you now. :colbert:

Her first twerp is a DemiDevimon. I don't know what it does, I kill it in one hit.

Her second partner is a Bakemon, a random ghost digimon with what has to be a fantastic dentist on retainer. It gets an attack off, but only because the initial turn ALWAYS lets the opponent go.

Also, remember that we just fought a ghost, please.

OOooooo! Spooky scary skeletons!

"But everything looks the same. I wanna go- " SHUT UP PIKACHU.

Bulk Bridge is kind of a shithole, with muddy water and loose planks everywhere, but it at least has some redeeming qualities such as the Tin Mail inside this chest. I can sell it for money.

Kite looks so sad and why the gently caress is Pikachu dancing. And the other two are looking at their feet. What is this? :argh: Annoy Giver day?

You might be able to see the eponymous bridge off to our left, but we won't be going there yet.

What the hell is going on with these Pokemon.

Wait, a different bridge?

First, there's a path to the west that we want to take that leads us to the Tranquil Swamp.

I'm not entirely sure what those crop circles are supposed to be.

Ghostbuster Puck: That was a ghost... I'm sure of it!

Eh, that's fine, we just punched out a ghost seven images ago.

But he's supposed to be 'fraid of no ghost.

Click for music!

This is the Shaman House. (Ignore the title of the music, it's a thirty-second spoiler.)

As soon as we take a step inside, however...

Kite: Huh? That's weird. There's no one here.
:ghost: : ...Woooo!
Kite: !!! What's that?! ...it's a ghost!

Kite then books it like a Giver giant pussy.

ARGH! Kite, you just punched out a ghost! Why are you so scared of this?!

Ugh.

I actually kinda like the scenery here. It's less brown than the rest of Bulk Swamp.

Tamer Jessica: Playing this game when you're young... You are so lucky.

fite me already

The Giver disease has taken hold. One of the first symptoms is asking random people to 1v1 you.

Sadly, we can't fight Tamer Jessica yet, so, let's check out this house. Surely this one's not haunted, too?

It's not, unless you consider inns haunted by default.

Inncist.

Gatomon: We're all here to learn how to become managers of the Inns.

Excellent. Now, because there's an Inn right here, I take the opportunity to get a little bit of grinding done. We're powerful enough to handle the aquatic Cardmon and the Seadramon, so it's a good spot for fishing. In the US version of Digimon World 3, you can fish as many times as you want; in the PAL release, you have to leave the screen after a certain number of fights to refresh it.

Grinding results:
Kotemon Lv. 13 -> Lv. 15
-Dinohumon Lv. 36 -> Lv. 41
-Dinohumon learned Double Power Kick at Lv. 40

Patamon Lv. 13 -> Lv. 15
-Angewomon Lv. 2 -> Lv. 17
-Angewomon learned Antidote at Lv. 15

Renamon Lv. 13 -> Lv. 15
-Stingmon Lv. 9 -> Lv. 20
-Stingmon learned Poison Bites Sting at Lv. 10
-Stingmon learned Energy Leech Leech Life at Lv. 15
-Renamon unlocked Growlmon Digivolution (Stingmon Lv. 20, Renamon with 80 base DEF)

Double Power Kick does the same thing as Double Guard - it doubles the relevant stat for the duration of the Digimon's participation in the fight. Antidote cures poison. Honestly, both Techs aren't that useful - poison only affects you at the end of your turns, so kill the enemy fast enough and you take no damage. It also doesn't really do that much damage in the first place. And Double Power Kick just wastes a turn that you get back the next attack. Double Power Kick doesn't even double our attacking power, so it's less than useless.

Poison Bites Sting is our first poison move; it's a poison-type attack that has a pretty high chance of afflicting poison, useless as it is. Energy Leech Leech Life is a little more useful, since it has a chance of healing the user for half the damage done. Unfortunately it's not 100% of the time, not that the Tech tells you that. The important thing here is that Renamon unlocked Growlmon, so she'll now be a giant red dinosaur Charizard for a while.

I had to fix those for Yeti because he is getting the Pokemon movesets all WRONG. Do you even know what game you're playing?

Apparently not.

Anyway, now that that's taken care of, let's keep exploring Bulk Bridge. (You might see part of the area's namesake to our top right.)

The west has this wide-open area with nothing in it, not even a kickable tree.

Solid exploration design.

EVERYWHERE LOOKS THE SAME

The east has a path that leads to a place called Bios Swamp, but we can't do anything there until later, so let's ignore it for now.

That just leaves the South for progression.

Click for music!

This is the Jungle Grave. It's a little more green than the Bulk areas, so that's a point in its favor. I like the music, too, so that alone makes it better than those Bulk areas. Who thought it was a good idea to make the BGM just random hoots and insect cries, anyway?

There's only one new encounter in this part of the area:

Name: Musyamon
Level: Champion
Location: Asuka South - Jungle Grave (before Zanbamon), Catacombs, Catacomb Back Entrance

Drops: MP Chip

3 STR, 3 DEF, 5 SPR, 3 WIS, 1 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 155, BIT: 330

Regular Attack: Dark Element
Technique: None

This guy is really out of our league. This isn't even in the same level as MetalGreymon. Musyamon can and will gently caress you up if you run into him, so it's suggested that you just run when you encounter him. The other encounters are the same.

Now who's the pussy?

The game suggests it, not me.

The area is a bunch of tiny sandbar-esque islands with moldy wooden bridges connecting them. It's less a path and more a series of connecting tiny islands. It hardly seems permanent, since the -

oh poo poo

HAHAHAHAHA, YES. KILL HIM.

See this? THIS is why you run when you encounter Musyamon. My regular attack did 48 damage to him.

Of course, I had the Counter Crest equipped, so get hosed.

He tried to step through the looking glass, and it punched him in the face.

HAX. REDO!

Basically, everything in this place is either not very permanent, or is falling apart.

"I don't wanna be here... There is an angry bird about to kill me." loving wimp-rear end Pikachu.

There's a lot of false starts, and branching paths that don't really lead anywhere.

At least we have more green this time, and not all brown.

Eventually, though, the color of the sand shifts. This is our destination, right here. Through here is Suzaku City, and the next leader.

Oh drat, those faces in the dirt set the tone well. If only we were going into a creepy area.

If you get into an encounter here, it's a different background. I like this one more than the regular swamp background. (Also pictured: Musyamon owning himself)

Unfortunately, we have THIS lardass blocking the way.

Zanbamon: Hey, wait! waiiiiit![sic] I'm not going to let you pass through here!
Kite: You've got to be kidding. I need to go over there!
Zanbamon: Then try to beat me. Of course, I never lose! Ha ha ha ha!
Kite: Yeah right! There's always a first time!

Click for music!

So, Zanbamon. Despite the music, he's not a real boss. The reason for this?

After getting hit with one attack, the game immediately makes you run. Since I still had the Counter Crest equipped, this led to a stupid little thing where Growlmon started to run, then attacked, then ran away. (You can tell this is forced running because of the message; if the player runs, it's different text. [Partner] Run away! instead of [Partner] Running away!)

WHY. JUST HAVE THE PLAYER LOSE.

Bite me, jackass. I would have won by letting you hit me and then hitting you back just as hard.

Zanbamon: You're no match for me!
Kite: Man, what's going on! Just watch, I'm going to win! I'll be back!
Zanbamon: You're all talk, kid! Ha ha ha ha!

And then we're unceremoniously kicked out into Bulk Bridge. At least we didn't need to walk out, so thanks for small mercies, game. And I checked - you get one fight with Zanbamon, and if you go back for more he just taunts you. I tried my hardest - no matter what, Zanbamon doesn't do enough damage to let the Counter Crest kill him off, and his defenses are pumped up to make sure you don't get a chance to kill him yourself.

Man, this railroading.

So now, we have no hints what to do next.

So let's go talk to the innkeeper. That's what you usually do in RPGs, right?

Gatomon: Sepikmon in Shaman House should be able to do something... But we haven't seen him in a while. I wonder why...

Well, let's try this again. Now that we hopefully know it's not a ghost (I'm not ruling out anything, given how dumb Kite seems to be) he shouldn't run.

:ghost: : Woo... ...wooo!
Kite: You must be Sepikmon.
:ghost: : Wooo... ...cough! Cough! ...yeah, what do you want?
:ghost: : ...Yeah, what do you want!

There's about half a second of nothing between those last two lines. Kite doesn't move, so... I don't know.

Cognitive dissonance?

Sepikmon: I can, but first I have one request. I lost my precious mask somewhere! If I don't have it, no one can see me! So if you find it I'll tell you what you want to know.
Kite: All right, fine, I'll go and find your mask.
Sepikmon: I had it when I was with Baronmon, so I must have dropped it after that!
Sepikmon: OK, thanks a lot!

This game has weird text choices, sometimes. I feel like this is one of those fever dreams where it has some internal logic but seems like madness. Certainly explains why I'm still playing this game, at least.

Again, we have no idea where to go. However, there's only so much South Sector to search for Baronmon, so eventually we'll run into Kail as we run by.

Kail: ...hey Kite! Listen! I saw a Digimon with an amazing face going to East Sector. I think that was Baronmon.

Well, it's better than nothing. Let's go check out East Sector, shall we?

Click for music!

First, we'll want to gather information, and the best way to do that is to talk to all the NPCs. Granted, 90% of what we get will be useless.

Agumon: He likes forests and ruins, so maybe he's there!

Or, we could hit paydirt with our first NPC. Cool. Forests and ruins are pretty self-explanatory, so the next destination should be pretty obvious.

I hate this maze.

I hope we get a Fire-associated Key Item that lets us burn it down to the ground.

Click for music!

Anyway, remember that one place that I pointed out, how it was pointless? Guess who's there now?

Baronmon: Sepikmon had his mask on when he was with me. The strange thing is... last I heard, he was at Asuka City!

...Say what? :confused: We just talked to him!

Anyway, let's trek all the way back to Asuka City...

NOT AGAIN

this is the third time now

Oh hey. I'm, uh, I'm guessing this is Sepikmon.

Sepikmon: O-oh! Hey look, I found my mask! ...a way to defeat Zanbamon? Sorry no idea![sic] I'm the one who found my mask, so I'm not gonna tell you!

Ungrateful shithead. Well, there're things to do in Asuka City, so might as well drop by.

Torture the gently caress. Remove his eyelids with a box cutter and remove his legs with a hacksaw.

Click for music!

First off, there's a new auction! The trigger for this is after we talk to Sepikmon in the hut. It's a pretty short-lived one, too.

:smith: : The Guilmon exclusive shield will start at 400 BIT!

Same deal, they raise up the bid to 700 BIT and then we're given the option to bid for it. I'll take the shield, same as the Patamon one.

More importantly, and something I can actually use, is this two-handed weapon for Renamon. Hooray for +200 STR!

Well, drat. Go grind off the Angry bird, NAO

Click for music!

Master John: He wrote "Inn" on our sign.

That fiend!

GASP. HE'S CAUSING AN INCONVENIENCE, OH NOOOO

Masato: He dropped banana peels all over and now we are all falling down!

Sounds like a personal problem there, chief. Maybe don't step on the banana peels?

Did we just start watching an Acme cartoon or something?

Patamon: Sepikmon is so mean! Mika was going to eat a snack, but he took it from her!

I'm loving this guy more and more.

Guilmon: That's what Sepikmon told me.

Guilmon, buddy, you're staring straight at Jack.

Maniac Jack: What is up that dude?!

Masahiro: What's his problem?

Basically, Sepikmon is a huge jerk.

Confirmed Giver.

Hey, you're a new face. Sepikmon prank you as well?

Etemon: I heard Sepikmon ran towards the Divermon Lake! ...but he's one bad dude! I'm embarrassed that I'm the same type Digimon as him!

They actually aren't the same type. Sepikmon is a Wizard, Data attribute, while Etemon is a Puppet, Virus attribute. This means Etemon actually has more in common with Puppetmon than he does Sepikmon (which is interesting for reasons we'll see eventually).

After Sepikmon! We must stop him from doing bad things to people we don't care about because he didn't tell us the secret to stopping Zanbamon!

Kite looks especially determined here.

Waaaait a second, you're not Sepikmon.

Man: OK, everything is normal...

Just a regular, bloodthirsty kid, Mr. Suit.

Man: Don't sneak up on me like that! You scared me...
Kite: Ah, ah... I'm sorry mister...
Man: ...I'm not an old man! I'm Nick. I'm only 21!
Kite: Oh, ah, yeah, sorry!

This probably read better before it was translated.

Nick: First Etemon, and now you...
Kite: ...Etemon? Did something happen?
Nick: I found this huge gaudy shield. Then Etemon came and said that it was his, and took it from me without even saying thank you.

:crossarms:

WE'VE BEEN DUPED

Kite: ...Etemon? A gaudy shield? ...I wonder what that is...

You can practically hear the two brain cells sparking.

Nick: Why aren't they doing their jobs? I wish they'd look at me as an example...

Let's go have a chat with that Etemon. I think we've got some discrepancies we'd like him to explain.

Kite: Hey, Etemon, I got something I wanna ask.
Etemon: Sure, what? I'll tell you anything I know!
Kite: Aren't you the one who has Sepikmon's mask?
Etemon: I-I don't know what you're talking about!

Solid investigation tactics. "R u da bad guy?"

And then he just strolls off. Christ, Kite's blunter than a hammer, and Etemon is a lovely liar. Is everyone in this game an idiot or something? It's like Giver was the writer for this part of the 'plot'.

You mean how the men are all assholes and all the females are horny? Yes.

Kite: Hey, wait! He's hiding something!

Etemon ran off towards the underground, but we didn't see where. That being said, he probably couldn't get out of the city, so there's only so many places he could be.

It turns out, it's this one.

Etemon: You really are a rash that won't go away. Oh, all right, I'll give it back, OK! Here, I handed over the Sepik Mask!

Thank you very much. Now we can return to Sepikmon - the REAL Sepikmon.

Can't he just change his disguise?

On the way back, I made a little detour in Kicking Forest to complete a sidequest.

DRI Johann: Then I'll add Agumon as your partner like I promised! Go to Piximon or Dr. Kadomatsu at the lab! Agumon should be in the list under Switch Digimon! Good luck and raise a strong Agumon!

Next time: We deal with this guy, then that other guy, then some more guys past him.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 25, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm about certain Kite called him "Ojisan" or Uncle, which while it's a way to address an older man regardless of actual relation does have an "Old man".

But man this game looks like a chore to play.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Pokemon reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I mistook Musyamon for Zanbamon and thought you sequence broke.

Robindaybird posted:

But man this game looks like a chore to play.

It is. I got maybe two or three cities after this point before quitting. It's too much of a grind-fest.

• Locked thread