Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Until you remember Homecoming and realize you are a curmudgeon for letting plot consistency get in the way of a good story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Haven't posted in a while due to a need to catch up but here's two things I have to say:

1) As someone who, due to mental illness, has had to make involuntary stays at mental health facilities, Within the Wires is very interesting as a concept to me, and I think it's a much more interesting take on such facilities than what usually appears in media.

2) As a person who is plugged into the tumblr zeitgeist, the Night Vale fandom nowadays isn't really like what it was back in 2013. Most fans have have lost or decreased in interest, and now it's just another thing that some people like.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Got my 6 months of donorship poster today! I love the design, was it Rob Wilson?

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
If anyone was thinking about going to the live show in Montclair on Thursday, August 25th but hasn't bought tickets yet, I have two mezzanine tickets that I unfortunately won't be able to use. :-( I paid about $90 total for them (I think they were $32.50 + the absurd fees charged by the venue) and would like to get some money for them, but I'm flexible on how much based on your financial situation. They're e-tickets, so will be easy to transfer between the two of us.

Shoot me a PM or an email (my sa username at gmail) if you're interested in the tickets!

nerdpony fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 18, 2016

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Limetown might never return, after S1 the creators said they wanted to make a tv pilot all along and the popularity of Limetown lets them do that now.

I really recently stumbled on the fact that there are dozens of what are called drama podcasts and have been binge-ing through them like a madman.

I am really digging WTW, the backstory and potential future story sounds nuts.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I still wish we could just call these things "audio dramas" instead of podcasts but whatever, way too late for that!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just call it an audio drama. It's under the "Modern Radio Drama" category on iTunes.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
for the record, I like "podcast". It helps a little to slow the endless comparisons to old radio dramas when we don't have that much in common with them.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

maxnmona posted:

for the record, I like "podcast". It helps a little to slow the endless comparisons to old radio dramas when we don't have that much in common with them.

"Podcast" sounds so pedestrian though, low art. Welcome to Night Vale is High Art.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
"Fictional Community Radio"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

maxnmona posted:

Yeah, when I think of 'old radio drama revivals' I think more of stuff like the Thrilling Adventure Hour rather than you guys (though of course that was their actual conceit).

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

"Podcast" sounds so pedestrian though, low art. Welcome to Night Vale is High Art.

low art and high art is a dumb concept. I make podcasts, which is one medium of art.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

low art and high art is a dumb concept. I make podcasts, which is one medium of art.

I consider it medium art

Maybe medium rare

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The only high art worthy of the name involves drugs.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the reason I'm not a fan of "podcast" is because its based on ipods which at some point will become a completely obsolete reference. I think more people probably listen on phones or tablets/laptops these days but in the future you'll be injecting this poo poo straight into your brain

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

the reason I'm not a fan of "podcast" is because its based on ipods which at some point will become a completely obsolete reference. I think more people probably listen on phones or tablets/laptops these days but in the future you'll be injecting this poo poo straight into your brain

"Tablet" is an obsolete reference to small tables used as writing surfaces, "fan" is an obsolete reference to obsessive baseball devotees, and "point" is an obsolete reference to tiny holes made by needles. Etymology doesn't matter for meaning, only for historical or linguistic interest. :v:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Idran posted:

"Tablet" is an obsolete reference to small tables used as writing surfaces, "fan" is an obsolete reference to obsessive baseball devotees, and "point" is an obsolete reference to tiny holes made by needles. Etymology doesn't matter for meaning, only for historical or linguistic interest. :v:

those aren't really obsolete though. obsessive baseball fans still exist in large numbers, we just now apply the term to other forms of similar obsession as well. also I think the fact that it's specifically a branded term kind of bugs me, though I guess its no different than calling any portable tape player a "walkman"

in any case this stuff is obviously called podcasts where I like it or not!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

in the future you'll be injecting this poo poo straight into your brain

One day WTNV will be distributed within small black gelatinous cubes that devour all light that dares fall near them.

Some will claim the cubes are harmless but others will be afraid - no, not afraid, concerned - that the cubes whisper in strangely dulcet and comforting tones of times they believe are of times long past or, perhaps, of times yet to come...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Literally The Worst posted:

I consider it medium art

Maybe medium rare

I like my podcasts to moo. Rare only for me, bub :colbert:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Slaan posted:

I like my podcasts to moo. Rare only for me, bub :colbert:

here you go

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

:swoon:

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Reading through this thread and goddamn am I the only one who really likes The Woman From Italy?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Idran posted:

Baseball? I thought fan was short for "fanatic?"

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Jurgan posted:

Baseball fanatics.

Like this guy

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Pencils R Cool posted:

Reading through this thread and goddamn am I the only one who really likes The Woman From Italy?

It's one of my top five, easily.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pencils R Cool posted:

The Woman From Italy Cares Not For What You Like. Her Only Concern That Involves You Would Make You Squirm And Shrink Into a Corner, BallingBawling Like a Child.

e; either way works when read out loud. :colbert:
V

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 26, 2016

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Ballin' like a child. :whatup:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

Benny the Snake posted:

Baseball fanatics.

Like this guy

Yeah, pretty much; the shortening was originally about really big baseball enthusiasts specifically being called "fanatics" by sports press as common slang in the late 19th century. It rippled out from there, kind of pushed along by big boxing enthusiasts being called "the fancy" as a sort of dual-meaning, and eventually meant enthusiasts of any sort.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Finally got a chance to start on Episodes Vol 1 and am loving it. The behind the scenes notes are really interesting and the artwork is great.

Question though: when you give the scripts to Cecil do you include stage direction, or just let him interprete it as he sees fit? Moments that come to mind are parts like THE BROWNSTONE SPIRE.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Finally got a chance to start on Episodes Vol 1 and am loving it. The behind the scenes notes are really interesting and the artwork is great.

Question though: when you give the scripts to Cecil do you include stage direction, or just let him interprete it as he sees fit? Moments that come to mind are parts like THE BROWNSTONE SPIRE.

very occasionally there are stage directions. Almost every stage direction that was given to him was included in the book, although we cut a few because they messed up the flow. Mostly he just gets text and then decides how to interpret it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I haven't been keeping up since last time you were in Copenhagen, so I have a lot of stuff to listen to before the 8th

see you there

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Today's episode was "all right." All right, indeed.

(Excellent fourth wall breaking guys)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anyways, I thought this was the best play to ask: Anybody have podcast recommendations? WtNV is the first one I've really followed and I'd love other stuff in the same vein (or just scifi/horror stuff in general.)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Alice Isn't Dead, which is written by Joseph Fink and produced by Disparition, was really good. I enjoyed it a lot more than I'd been enjoying recent Night Vale.

Edit: Err, if you haven't listened to it already, I mean. I somehow forgot this was the Night Vale thread, so didn't think that you're probably already aware of it.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 19, 2016

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Mokinokaro posted:

Anyways, I thought this was the best play to ask: Anybody have podcast recommendations? WtNV is the first one I've really followed and I'd love other stuff in the same vein (or just scifi/horror stuff in general.)

Check out the Serialized Fictional Podcasts thread, there's a bunch of recs/reviews of other podcasts. If you're looking for horror, I'd recommend The Magnus Archives, Archive 81 and Small Town Horror. For more scifi and less horror try Wolf 359 or Escape Pod.

On a related note, I think Within the Wires is developing well. There's still a lot of mystery as to what the protagonists are up against, but the story is becoming more compelling even with all of the action being "offscreen".

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mokinokaro posted:

There's Wolf 359 and Within The Wires, which is also Joseph Fink and his cabal's doing.

E: I should read the last post before replying lol

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

There's Wolf 359 and Within The Wires, which is also Joseph Fink and his cabal's doing.

E: I should read the last post before replying lol

that's a difficult sentence to parse, but we have nothing to do with Wolf 359.

(I also don't write Within the Wires, that was created by Jeffrey)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I should probably read my own posts too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I should have clarified that I follow both Within the Wires and Alice isn't Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
The Message is good, and extremely short. A team works on interpreting an alien signal.

Limetown is great, and you should listen right now if you haven't. It's about the disappearance of everyone from the town just over a decade ago. (I don't know if we'll ever get more, but it stands well on its single season.)

I liked Sayer, and that's a completed series. It's sort of like if GLaDOS ran a space station, but not so homicidal.

For general horror stuff, I like Knifepoint Horror. The No Sleep Podcast and Chilling Tales are very hit-or-miss, but worth checking out.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 21, 2016