Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Almost 2 years seems like more than enough time to find your audience or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm sure Comedy Central threatening to sue Colbert for using some of his old bits really put a good feeling in old Daily Show alumni.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

I'm sure Comedy Central threatening to sue Colbert for using some of his old bits really put a good feeling in old Daily Show alumni.

Oh did they really?

I figured CBS arranged to buy the rights when he busted out The Word.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

IRQ posted:

Wait, two??

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

January of 2015 was when TNS started.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

Oh did they really?

I figured CBS arranged to buy the rights when he busted out The Word.

The next night he said he was threatened with a lawsuit so now he does The Werd.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I would steal Sam Bee from TBS for the 11.30 slot

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

poty posted:

I would steal Sam Bee from TBS for the 11.30 slot

No don't

She's perfect where she is

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Nightly being cancelled is kind of bullshit, but I think I might have been the only goon around who legit liked the show and watched it pretty frequently.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I watched it every night.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GreenNight posted:

:(:hf::(

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

AndyElusive posted:

Nightly being cancelled is kind of bullshit, but I think I might have been the only goon around who legit liked the show and watched it pretty frequently.

GreenNight posted:

What's up?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I liked it and it will suck to see that minority voice disappear. Ricky Velez sucks poo poo and Grace Parra was pretty hit or miss. But Robin Thede, Mike Yard, Holly Walker and Rory Albanese were all pretty solid. I thought most of the middle-segment skits bombed aside from the Trump impersonator guy, but the opening desk segments and panel discussions have been pretty good for the most part. When they get actual activists and smart people on the panels, they are very good and they shouldn't have let those segments get bogged down by Ricky Velez telling Crooked Hillary jokes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
NYT had a story about Larry Wilmore's show getting axed. Apparently Wilmore is saying it's linked to "Unblackening", which could either be him saying CC is trying to trim black people, or a reference to his Unblackening bits on the election.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I liked Nightly, gently caress the haters. RIP Larry my Dark Knight.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

coyo7e posted:

NYT had a story about Larry Wilmore's show getting axed. Apparently Wilmore is saying it's linked to "Unblackening", which could either be him saying CC is trying to trim black people, or a reference to his Unblackening bits on the election.

It's just a reference to his bit on the show. He's been saying it jokingly.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I watched every episode of TNS, and I'm sad to see it go, but it's cancellation is pretty understandable. The show had a boatload of problems. It was frustrating to see it wallow in mediocrity when Trevor's TDS has been improving so steadily.

Anyway, any bets on how long before Ricky Velez dies, of either drug overdose or misadventure? I gave him a year with TNS going, God knows how much time he has now he's unemployed.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I like Trevor Noah, but I've been having Daily Show fatigue a bit more lately. I'd like to say it started with Jessica leaving (which is arbitrary as hell, considering all the talent that has left show including Jon Stewart himself), but I'm getting a little bit more impatient with the show despite mostly liking all the correspondents still. I keep feeling like there's something that should be said about the 2016 election that should be said or articulated but hasn't, despite how much has been said. To be fair, I don't think Jon Stewart could have unpacked it either.

TDS with Trevor Noah feels more like a polished "product" than TNS with Larry. Like, I felt like I got the "real" Larry Wilmore despite how his batting average is worse than Trevor's.

Maybe I'm just getting older.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

I watched every episode of TNS, and I'm sad to see it go, but it's cancellation is pretty understandable. The show had a boatload of problems. It was frustrating to see it wallow in mediocrity when Trevor's TDS has been improving so steadily.

Anyway, any bets on how long before Ricky Velez dies, of either drug overdose or misadventure? I gave him a year with TNS going, God knows how much time he has now he's unemployed.

I didn't watch every episode, but I agree with this. At the start, TNS seemed unpolished, raw, and it felt like a show that still needed to find what worked and what didn't. Like, I don't know, the first season of ST:TNG. Oddly enough, when Trevor took over TDS, he tried to keep the same format, and it, too, felt unpolished and unsure of itself.

The difference between the two shows is that Trevor and his team, like ST:TNG, grew a beard. They made some changes to the format here and there (like how he gives some of his monologues while standing, which plays more to his strengths), and it's getting better. The Nightly Show, on the other hand, never really figured out what worked and what didn't. Their skits and fake correspondent bits never worked that well for me, and the panel segment seemed to grow more and more unwatchable as unfunny comics tried to debate with extremely predictable one-liners.

Still, it's weird to see it go.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

I like Trevor Noah, but I've been having Daily Show fatigue a bit more lately. I'd like to say it started with Jessica leaving (which is arbitrary as hell, considering all the talent that has left show including Jon Stewart himself), but I'm getting a little bit more impatient with the show despite mostly liking all the correspondents still. I keep feeling like there's something that should be said about the 2016 election that should be said or articulated but hasn't, despite how much has been said. To be fair, I don't think Jon Stewart could have unpacked it either.

Wait, haven't you heard? Donald Trump wants to gently caress his daughter.

I agree with this, except I do think Jon would have unpacked the point by now. I think Trevor is just lacking that insight, as much as his Daily Show has been great.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Wait, haven't you heard? Donald Trump wants to gently caress his daughter.

I agree with this, except I do think Jon would have unpacked the point by now. I think Trevor is just lacking that insight, as much as his Daily Show has been great.
Trevor and Jon both seem to point to the media's habits and behavior, and the GOP's previous willingness to empower the crazies, and globalization for paving the road for Trump. I don't disagree, and I previously tried to credit a generational effect of Reaganomics as well... but I now feel like even that doesn't really give answers. And I'm not even sure what the questions are.

Also, Donald Trump wants to bang his daughter.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I'm pretty bummed. I always thought TNS was better than TDS.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Noah's been interesting in that the show seems to miss easy marks but get great mileage out of different places. Their RNC coverage was very mediocre, whereas the coverage of the DNC (and contrast to Trump) was very strong indeed.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Jon did a more satisfying Trump take-down in his 10-minute appearance on Colbert's Late Show than Noah's been doing since he took over.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah but that was also sadly the most effective the Late Show had been since Colbert sold out as well
At this point Noah being okay is acceptable alongside Bee and Oliver, I just hope a strong Colbert Show successor can still come in since I wasn't ever down with TNS. Like, Larry was fine, but then he was just surrounded with these aggressively unfunny recurring bits, panels, and collaborators. I'm not sure I ever found anyone on the show funny who wasn't Larry. I know the talent pool with TDS post-Jon has been weak but man did the pool for TNS feel BEYOND weak.
I think the key is getting a big enough personality or concept so you don't have to rely too hard on an iffy correspondent pool but I guess figuring that out is what people get paid the big bucks for.
Or honestly it's hard for me to tell if it was the correspondents or the material written for them, but the whole "I'm pretending to be a dumb character" bit it seemed like ALL of them did just never worked for me ever. At least Larry on his own occasionally dropped some funny lines and burns.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

tarlibone posted:

well, when you can't be fired, you do some pretty strange things.

He's spent the whole episode that wasn't a pre-written bit ripping *hard* on Trump and telling people to vote for Hillary.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

raditts posted:

The interview segments were and have always been the weakest parts of Daily / Colbert IMO. If it were me, I would have had no panel / interview Monday - Wednesday and just make a panel covering the whole week on Thursday, so they could get people that are actually funny / worth listening to and not have to rush the panel by making it five minutes of unfunny jokes / adult party games.

Because I've always been so pressed for time, I would watch The Daily/Report just for the monologues/bits and would completely skip over the interviews unless it was with someone really interesting (say, the President.) I still do this in fact, and when I watch The Late Show I can get through a whole 1-hour episode in about 10-15 minutes because I just care about the monologue & first segment.) It's sad; I like Colbert (and Stewart, etc.) but I just don't have time for those fluff interviews.

I actually watched the interview Colbert had on the Report early in October with Bill Cosby, because it was back when everybody loved Cosby and was right before his career/life imploded. Since I was watching it a few weeks after it originally aired, it was very interesting to see it with the hindsight that people used to loving love this guy, including Colbert.

Bass Bottles posted:

The panels were 100 times more interesting than 1-on-1 interviews could ever be, in my opinion. Interviews are the worst part of late night TV and I almost never watch them.

Kinda doubt they'll replace TNS with another talk show, though. FF and LWT are great and kind of all I need at this point. Having two daily shows seems like overkill.

CaptainYesterday posted:

Am I the only one who wants to see Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn come back?

I was going to say, TNS reminded me of Tough Crowd. The latter was nice because all those dumb comedians would crack jokes and rip on each other (mostly Rich Vos) while trying to have a serious discussion. There were the regulars (e.g. Norton, DiPaolo, Girardo :rip:, O'Neal :rip:) but occasionally they'd have a special guest (Seinfeld :rip:, Carlin :rip:). TNS is sort of like a mashup of a politically themed talk show, and Tough Crowd, but with contributors who are more writer than seasoned stand-up comedians. That's probably why it's had a lukewarm reception; it's a mix of a few different mediocre bits without having a good hook. Still, I've enjoyed watching it even if it's not the most hilarious thing; I've always liked Wilmore.

DeepDickPizza posted:

I liked it and it will suck to see that minority voice disappear. Ricky Velez sucks poo poo and Grace Parra was pretty hit or miss. But Robin Thede, Mike Yard, Holly Walker and Rory Albanese were all pretty solid. I thought most of the middle-segment skits bombed aside from the Trump impersonator guy, but the opening desk segments and panel discussions have been pretty good for the most part. When they get actual activists and smart people on the panels, they are very good and they shouldn't have let those segments get bogged down by Ricky Velez telling Crooked Hillary jokes.

Albanese was a long-time writer and producer of Stewart's TDS. I'm thinking him and some of the better TNS contributors will have job offers from Noah's TDS.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S
Roy Wood, Jr. on the Daily show alone is better than all the contributors on the Nightly Show put together.

It was hard to watch the first half of the episode tonight as Larry was obviously holding his emotions in, I feel bad for the guy.....but by the second and third act, it was painfully obvious why cancellation was inevitable. Almost two years in and still doing virtually the same tired routines and bits with the same small rotation of unfunny contributors then a painfully rushed and insubstantial panel segment. Larry is great, but the show just wasn't.

The human element in me hates to see anyone lose their livelihood, but I am intrigued by the possibilities of what may be coming in it's place. I just hope it's not Comedy Central's answer to the lip-syncing, karaoke-ing Jimmy Fallon/James Corden millennial-nostalgia-pandering that's all the rage right now.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 16, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Now that you mention it, it's almost definitely going to be a show about celebrities playing Hungry Hungry Hippos

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Bass Bottles posted:

Now that you mention it, it's almost definitely going to be a show about celebrities playing Hungry Hungry Hippos

I know, I literally thought to myself as I was typing that sentence "ooooh yeah, it's 11:30, that's what's going to happen" and died a little inside.

I was so caught up thinking about the possibilities I completely forgot about the reality of late night these days...

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

The human element in me hates to see anyone lose their livelihood, but I am intrigued by the possibilities of what may be coming in it's place. I just hope it's not Comedy Central's answer to the lip-syncing, karaoke-ing Jimmy Fallon/James Corden millennial-nostalgia-pandering that's all the rage right now.

Comedy Central is convinced that YouTube is why cable is dying so I wouldn't hold your breath on avoiding a Fallon-esque suckfest.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
My personal take on the situation is that the nightly show never really figured out a formula that works for them, and you could tell with how often they would change the format.

A fake news panel show wasn't a bad idea but having 3 real guests clearly broke them, and it's kind of a hard concept when almost none of your target audience can even relate to the idea of Meet the Press. The sketches never really clicked for me. I can't remember the last time I saw keeping it 100, which was the most unique feature of the show.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I have to say, I'm bummed that Wilmore is canceled. The show was pretty bad for a lot of its run, but it seemed to be picking up steam over the last few months, and I was pullin' for it. Oh well...best of luck, Larry.:(

IRQ posted:

The show was meant to tackle, among other things, race in the U.S., at this of all times in our history. Expecting them to figure that formula out when poo poo has gone crazy over the past two years is a really stupid expectation.

MrBond posted:

My personal take on the situation is that the nightly show never really figured out a formula that works for them, and you could tell with how often they would change the format.

A fake news panel show wasn't a bad idea but having 3 real guests clearly broke them, and it's kind of a hard concept when almost none of your target audience can even relate to the idea of Meet the Press. The sketches never really clicked for me. I can't remember the last time I saw keeping it 100, which was the most unique feature of the show.

Also Ricky Velez is not funny and also not very smart.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 16, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

maybe now my wildest dreams of the norm mcdonald talk show will finally happen

im really sad that the show he was going to do following conan way back when never happened

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

JazzFlight posted:

Jon did a more satisfying Trump take-down in his 10-minute appearance on Colbert's Late Show than Noah's been doing since he took over.

That's selling Trevor pretty short, he's been destroying him for the past couple months.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i think trevor is doing p. good for his first election cycle

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Cinnamon Hitler is so weak compared to Cheeto Benito though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i think trevor is doing p. good for his first election cycle

Yeah, I'm with this, it started a little toothless but now he's taken it in some directions I never saw coming and that outsider perspective's working for him. Also at this point the correspondents are all getting their legs and taking off running. I'm loving some of the interplay.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Justin_Brett posted:

That's selling Trevor pretty short, he's been destroying him for the past couple months.

I don't agree. He's really only started hitting Trump for actual in depth policy issues very recently, up until the last few weeks it's been the lazy hair / hands / wants 2 bang his daughter poo poo. If the media (Trevor included) had from the very beginning just focused on how utterly incompetent and ignorant Donald was this never would've happened. Instead they all wanted to make stupid hair jokes while he avoided all the real poo poo that would've sunk him like it did Carson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

CaptainYesterday posted:

Am I the only one who wants to see Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn come back?

Chromatic posted:

That show was great. Colin bombing and his comic friends laughing at him was half the fun.

A little late but I just want to say anyone that didn't like Tough Crowd is a really bad person who does not like funny shows.

Anyway, really sad to see Nightly Show go, I was one of the few that really liked it. I don't know if I was the audience they were looking for, but I liked watching it (except Ricky Velez...I didn't really like his comedy that much. Loved Mike Yard, though.)

• Locked thread