Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It is. I got maybe two or three cities after this point before quitting. It's too much of a grind-fest.

The grinding really is overstated (Yeti is far and beyond over what's actually needed) since there's so many ways to completely break the difficulty curve.*

Rather, the actual biggest problem with playing this game? The goddamn insane amount of padding and backtracking the plot requires along with the vague or complete lack of information on where to go. Seriously, there should be some kind of tally on how many times you go to Asuka City because that poo poo is not okay. I'd say the Sepikmon quest is a low point but there's one part later on that I think is worse.

*Unless you're counting PAL post game, which does require way too much grinding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...maybe that's just to get you in the habit of checking back at Asuka for more auctions and better gear?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Glazius posted:

...maybe that's just to get you in the habit of checking back at Asuka for more auctions and better gear?

It's still not great. There's I think one section up ahead where the only reason to go back to Asuka is just for an auction. You have no reason to trek all the way back otherwise, and the timeframe for that plot point before the auction switches again is quite short.

So I hope you really like Asuka City.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Hey, Yeti, any chance you can add the Digimon's level to your enemy write-ups? I mean, it's not a big deal, but it does make some things a little more humorous, like when you mentioned that Pharoahmon is a Mega. You're still running mostly with Champions, and you basically turned one of the franchise's power barriers into a minor speedbump. Always funny to point it out when the games let your Rookies become stronger than the best Super Mega Special Digimon.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Once you get the Counter Crest on the US version, the difficulty curve of this game plummets and never picks up again.

Even magic spammer digimon will eventually use a physical attack and fall, since I cannot think of a single magic attack that does enough damage to one shot you Although I think Absolute Darkness hits pretty hard

There is only one instance of a Digimon that you would have a hard time Counter haxing, but we won't get to see it on this playthrough, unless Yeti plans to show the alternate DDNA quests.

Speaking of Magic, one think that I really didn't like about this game is how the animation for enemies have a unique look, but when you use the same magic it's just a generic blue orb that then explodes into effects.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 16, 2016

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Hey, Yeti, any chance you can add the Digimon's level to your enemy write-ups? I mean, it's not a big deal, but it does make some things a little more humorous, like when you mentioned that Pharoahmon is a Mega. You're still running mostly with Champions, and you basically turned one of the franchise's power barriers into a minor speedbump. Always funny to point it out when the games let your Rookies become stronger than the best Super Mega Special Digimon.

Sure thing! I'll go back and update the old updates too.

lezard_valeth posted:

There is only one instance of a Digimon that you would have a hard time Counter haxing, but we won't get to see it on this playthrough, unless Yeti plans to show the alternate DDNA quests.

fuuuuuuuuuck that poo poo. It'd require me to play through the game two more times since you jerks picked the pack that has Patamon AND Renamon.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

GeneralYeti posted:

fuuuuuuuuuck that poo poo. It'd require me to play through the game two more times since you jerks picked the pack that has Patamon AND Renamon.

Guess we're gonna be seeing it.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

GeneralYeti posted:

Sure thing! I'll go back and update the old updates too.

Thanks. FYI though, you missed like everyone from Minotauromon on in update 5.

Edit: Ignore me! Apparently I posted as you were updating. My bad.

Also, good poo poo, I forgot Musyamon was only a Champion.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Update 8: tumblr.txt

Right folks, we've got a long update today, so let's just get into it.

Maybe this time we'll make meaningful progr-Hey, wait! Yeti! What the gently caress is this title?

Click for music!

Kite: Sepikmon, I got your Sepik Mask!

Sepikmon: WOW! Thanks!

There's this awkward pause where nobody moves or does anything.

:suspense:

Sepikmon: Uh-uhm... can you look the other way?
Kite: Oh... ah... all right.

Clearly, Sepikmon is naked.

EWWW! EWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Or he's wearing a paper bag over his head.

Clearly he was rated a 3/10

Sepikmon: This paper bag just didn't cut it!

Sepikmon is actually a monkey with a boomerang. It's... Well, I understand why Etemon said he and Sepikmon were the same type of Digimon.

This update's already too weird for me.

About loving time, game.

Sepikmon: I'll give this to you!
Kite: Huh?! What's this Smelly Herb?
Sepikmon: Zanbamon hates the smell of Smelly Herb! It's great. He'll run away for sure!
Kite: Really? Thanks, you're a life saver!
Sepikmon: You too. Good luck!

So, wait. The key to defeating this massive plot-armor Zanbamon is to... wave a smelly thing in his face? This is stupid.

I literally groaned out loud when I read that dialogue exchange.

Click for music!

Everything about this is stupid.

Kite: Hey Zanbamon! I'm going to go thru this time!
Zanbamon: Ha, ha, ha, ha! You just don't give up, do you? No matter how hard you try, you just can't win!
Kite: We'll see about that. Look at what I've got!

The game proceedes to... not change sprite animations in the slightest. C'mon, game, you were doing so well at the start.

Because time and budget didn't allow for an additional animation on flow-stopping, gametime padding nonsense.

Zanbamon: I-I can't take it! All right, I'll back down this time! ...But I won't forget this kid![sic]

commas are hard

He walks away, and despite being able to see the next turn, he disappears. Sure, why not.

Kite: Oh yeah! Now I can go!

Anyway, now that we've opened up the path, we can continue! So many new sights to take a look at!

Like, uh, the screaming souls of the eternally damned...

Hey look, it's my basement.

Let's move on! So, the darkened area of the Jungle Grave actually has different encounters than the light-colored area. (As a side note, Musyamon will no longer spawn now that we've chased off Zanbamon. It's not a bad idea to fight a couple dudes in there, if only because the encounter rate here is pretty high.

As for the new encounters on the darkened area:

Name: DemiDevimon
Level: Rookie

Drops: Dark Power 1

3 STR, 2 DEF, 4 SPR, 4 WIS, 3 SPD,
1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 3 ICE, 1 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP:39, BIT: 80

Regular Attack: No Element
Technique: Energy Suck (Magic)

Name: Bakemon
Level: Champion

Drops: None

4 STR, 4 DEF, 3 SPR, 2 WIS, 5 SPD,
1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 1 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 46, BIT: 90

Regular Attack: Dark Elemental
Technique: None

Those teeth, wow. Neither of them is really threatening at this point. It might be a good idea to get a few Dark Power 1s from DemiDevimon, because we don't really have any good way of dealing Dark damage short of grinding up Digitamamon to get access to a few of his Techs.

Moving on, we finally get to see why this place is called the Jungle Grave.

yeti pls y u typo

no idea wat u talking about

Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine

I'm, like, 90% sure that those paper dolls on the ground are supposed to be Shikigami. Also, that abandoned house? It'll randomly light up. I think it's supposed to lightning, though it almost looks like someone's flicking on all the lights and then flicking them off again.

Shrieking skulls will shock your souls
Seal your doom tonight

That little bridge down at the bottom of the screenshot? It leads to the bridge at the end of the first dead-end. If that stupid thing hadn't snapped, we'd be able to skip a third of the level. :argh:

Trollish Game Designers :allears:

I am angry, so I'm going to take it out on this tree.

Kite used Headbutt!

Basically, I managed to find a good image of the Cardmon with two booster packs. Honestly, you never really need to duel trainers for cards. Just beat up Cardmon a bunch and there you go. That being said, I still refuse to do the stupid card game.

Yeti will do it some other time, folks. Right now, we've got padding as it is.

A hole pretending to be a goal at the end of a knoll.

Spooky scary skeletons
Speak with such a screech

And with the second evil eye gate, we've made it through Jungle Grave. It wasn't terrible, since the DemiDevimon and Bakemon could be wiped out in one attack, but I'd like a change in scenery.

Click for music!

A change like Phoenix Bay. It's, uh, greener, at least.

Out of the grave and into the creepy forest.

But a new area means new encounters! Well, 'new'.

Name: Apemon

Drops: Wind Power 1

2 STR, 2 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 5 SPD,
1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 3 ICE, 3 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 1 DARK

EXP: 50, BIT: 190

I think you already used that one.

Name: RedVegimon
Location: Asuka South - Phoenix Bay, Ether Jungle, Kicking Forest

3 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 4 SPD,
1 FIRE, 3 WATER, 2 ICE, 3 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 1 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 45, BIT: 90

We can also run into wild Woodmon. By and large, though, everything is weak to Fire. Why it's like that in a swamp, where things are usually surrounded by water, I don't know.

We can fish, but it's still just Seadramon and 1-Pack Cardmon.

This tree fauna is dumb. We got a bright, multi-fruit bearing tree on one side of the road, and a dead tree on the other. Wat.

The early parts of the area are linear (and very wild), but as we progress things open up and get a little more civilized. These are actual, real bridges, not just rotting planks of wood thrown across two deltas.

Oh no, barrels. Whatever will we do?

There's even some signs of human life! Boats and cargo means that there's someone to send boats and cargo to, after all.

According to the sign, Suzaku City is to the north while Ether Jungle is to the west. Right now, Ether Jungle is still technically out of our wheelhouse, so we'll just be heading to Suzaku City.

(I'd also like to draw your attention to the first few digits of pi. It's dumb and stupid and I love it :allears: )

Is this info for a later puzzle. I feel like it's important.

Uh-oh, more numbers. Annoying puzzle detected.

Ooh, fancy!

Ooooo

Click for music!

Hooray, we finally made it to the second city! It's a pretty neat one, too. I always like this kind of look, with the whole 'sitting on top of the water' thing.

This makes the second area that I really like from this game.

Tamer Alice: ...if it's... ...Digimon Battle...

Girl, what is WRONG with you?

But enough gawking at the scenery. We have fighting to do.

...Oh, gently caress off, game.

She also has a pair of Dokugumon. They die real quick. (They look so dumb when they enter the battle, holy crap.)

OK, THAT is funny.

No, we cheated and used a teleportation item. Don't tell anyone.

On the other side of the platform, there's this guy.

Strongman Kyle: I guess you're better than you look.

Immediately north of the entrance is the Armory; it has some new stuff, and I take the chance to upgrade Patamon's weaponry since there's still no two-handed weapon for the flying rat. It only ups attack by about 10, though, so not much.

The east side of town has all the other shops, as well as the Divermon for opening cards and the Piximon if we had any new Digivolutions or Techs. Since I haven't unlocked anything new, there's no real reason to drop by - I did anyway, just to load Frost Cutter from Dinohumon and have access to it for Kotemon.

The west side is actually progress.

Woman: Hey you... you over there!
Kite: Uummmm, who... me?

No, Carrot Top

Woman: Hi, I'm Lisa. Nice to meet you! What's your name?
Kite: Oh, um, it's Kite...

But before we can do anything, we're accosted by Lisa. I don't know what the heck is up with this cutscene, honestly.

Lisa: By the way Kite, have you seen a cute green Digimon?
Kite: Um, ah, is that Monmon or Terriermon?
Lisa: Well... umm, I don't know. What do you think it is Kite?
Kite: ...well...um, ???
Lisa: ...I know, it's Ogremon! It has to be!

Because this woman is clearly insane.

Huh??? Is she... What. Huh?

We'll see Ogremon later this update, actually. Suffice to say, she's got a screw loose.

Lisa: Nice talking to you, Kite.

I don't know. She's weird.

Click for music (I like the Inn theme, okay?)

The building she was standing in front of was the Inn. I take the opportunity to rest up.

Because look here, it's Suzaku Hall.

Lena: It's been a while. I wonder why he came back?

Clearly, Lucky Mouse has been here before. I wonder what he's up to, anyway?

SWATing Twitch streamers.

The inside of Suzaku Hall is lush and green. It kinda has a tropical flair - fitting for the South Sector city in the middle of a jungle, I suppose.

That's eerily hypnotic.

"Come dance with us, Kite."

Patamon: They're trying to become the Server Dancing Queens!

See that girl, watch that- NO gently caress THIS! I'm not quoting that song!

Renamon: ...Not until I know you're worthy to take this passage.

Renamon won't let us pass just yet, though I don't particularly care right now.

Can we punch this guy

That's because the Suzaku Leader is right here! Normally, I'd grind for a little bit before challenging her, but I have the Counter Crest, so gently caress your difficulty curve.

Suzaku Leader: So, what, are you ready to step into my arena?
Kite: Yeah, of course!
Suzaku Leader: My, you sound really confident! But don't underestimate me because I'm a girl!

HEAVEN OR HELL

oh no a girl whatever will we do

Click for music!

LET'S ROCK

Suzaku Leader, like the Seiryu Leader, has three members in her team. Her initial Digimon is a Woodmon, which is super weak to Fire. However, Angewomon doesn't have any Fire techs, so a regular old slugfest it is.

That being said, after my first attack Suzaku Leader switches out Woodmon for RedVegiemon. Also weak to Fire, but against Angewomon is just a tedious hit-me-hit-you. Fortunately, I'll win that fight; Angewomon A) can heal, and B) has the Counter Crest, so any damage I take gets reflected back. I also have an Ice Power 1 accessory on her, so that ups the damage a little tiny bit.

Suzaku Leader's signature digimon, coming out after I beat up Woodmon and RedVegiemon, is a really fat toad.

Name: ShogunGekomon
Level: Ultimate

Drops: Chaos Wave

3 STR, 3 DEF, 4 SPR, 4 WIS, 3 SPD,
2 FIRE, 3 WATER, 1 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 101, BIT: 490

Technique: Confuse Gas (Magic, Chance of Confuse)

Again, the stupid toad refuses to use Confuse Gas. I'm never going to be confused, I think. This is the main reason I attached the Ice Power to Angewomon's attack, to take advantage of the Ice weakness. Honestly, Angewomon was probably my worst choice to fight Suzaku Leader, since she can't take advantage of any of the weaknesses.

But gently caress weaknesses, I've got Counter Crest.

BAKE ME A CAKE

Suzaku Leader: Oh well. What's your name?
Kite: It's Kite!
Suzaku Leader: That's a cool name!

Better name than Giver, at any rate.

Shows how much you know. There were a few votes for the name in the thread.

Suzaku Leader: OK, I'll give you this.
Kite: Yeah! I got the Suzaku Badge! Next I need to get the Byakko Badge.

Suzaku Leader: There's only one way to go there. You have to call Submarimon. Ask around in this sector for information about it. That's the only clue I can give you. Well, good luck.

I smell a fetch quest. It smells disgusting.

poo poo, we need Surf. :negative:

Well, nothing to do but get started. Maybe the Inn will have some information? I doubt it, since that's where we needed to go the last time, but it's a place to start. Besides, I want to rest up after that fight.

Oh no, no, no, WHAT NOW.

Oh no, our friends who I've forgotten about!

Kail: Hey Kite! Good timing. We've been here a while. Why don't we go back?
Kite: Yeah, I've beaten Seiryu and Suzaku Leader, so that's good for now. But what about Teddy? We have to find Teddy!
Kail: Teddy is fine. He's in Asuka City's Administration Center. When I saw him last, that's where he said he was going.
Kite: Oh, OK. Then let's hurry back to Asuka City!

gently caress, do I have to walk all the way back for the fourth goddamn time?

Wait, we're going BACK!? WHY!? To find Teddy? JUST USE THE BUILT-IN PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM! Doesn't this MMO have one? Type /w in chat, you fucks!

Click for ambience!

Oh, that's nice. The game just fades to black and cutscene-teleports me.

Not when you realize that you'll have to make your way back on your own.

That's, um. That's a lot of people. What are you all doing?

Maniac Phillip: Hey, what's up? I've been waiting for a while now!
Lazy Fei Fong Wong: When can we go back?
Tamer Service: Sorry, there are still no details.

:bang: did none of you listen to the announcement earlier. WE CAN'T LEAVE. For that matter, Kite, Kail, why are you even here?

I wonder how much time has passed in-game between the announcement and right now. Apparently not much given Kite hasn't had to go home yet, but long enough that he would have traveled to another sector and took down a Gym Leader?

There's a PA sound notification over the loudspeakers, and everyone starts freaking out.

No poo poo, idiot, they're gonna be talking about the fact that everything is hosed!

Worker Jeff: She's a woman?! I didn't know that!
Miss Misha: She's cool! I want to be just like her!

Ah, poo poo! I see the title's meaning now. Yeti, WHY!?

Game Master: The maintenance to the Matrix Chamber will take a little more time. Please be patient until the system is fixed.

That's... that's it? You're not even... God, this really is an MMO. The admins are terrible at their jobs, and their announcements say nothing and mean even less.

Lazy Alan: What? That's it!?
Worker Jeff: Well there's nothing we can do about it.
Energetic Yuki: Yeay!
[sic] Then I can play a little longer!

YOU ALL KNEW ABOUT THIS ALREADY.

I'm not sure what's worse. When this game doesn't do story progression, or when it does.

Kail: We can't go back to the Real World!
Kite: Hmmm, I wonder if this is Lucky Mouse's fault?
Kail: Lucky Mouse!? ...hey, what do you mean by that?
Kite: I don't know the details, but Teddy said that Lucky Mouse appeared.

Kail's really bad at being subtle. We'll see more about that later.

Kail: ...Is Teddy looking for something at the Administration Center? ...hey Kite. Let's go look for Teddy! I have something I want to ask him!
Kite: OK, then let's go into the center now!

I STILL don't get why we aren't using the loving PM system!

Y'know, this didn't actually work the first time I tried it, so why would I expect anything different?

DO Guard: Sorry, only authorized personnel are allowed beyond this point!

Again, Kite and Kail just mosey on out without putting up any kind of argument.

:shrug:

Which means putting up with 2 Loading Screens.

Kite: There has to be some way...
Kail: ...well, no use pouting about it here. Let's split up and check things out. Talk to people in the city.
Kite: OK, I will!

Kail wanders off somewhere.

Kite: I'm starting to get worried about Teddy.

Alright! We have control again.

This is Gilligan's Island right now. Yeti, this might just be a better title for this update.

Click for music!

I immediately head off to an auction. This one starts as soon as we have control, and it ends REALLY soon, so it's best to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

:smith: : This Monmon exclusive shield will start at 800 BIT!

This shield is a little bit pricier, at 1600 BIT, but it's still a bargain. Plus, I have the money for it.

Click for Lamb Chop!

There's a bunch of changed dialog from the NPCs in town, but it all boils down to 'I dunno how to get into the Admin Center :v: but I've seen Digimon wander in all the time.' People that have more than two working brain cells (i.e. people that aren't Giver) might be able to figure out the solution, but we need to set the correct story flag.

Trying really hard with those third-rate insults, aren't you, Yeti.

Master John: Only staff can go inside the Center. Also, lost Digimon without a partner can enter too.

For some reason, Master John is the only NPC that actually matters. Not that I'm complaining, since I love the music.

Oh boy, did we ever!

Kail: ...what?! If we're lost Digimon, we can go inside the Center?! There was an old couple who were looking for a way to become Digimon. Maybe we should ask them... they'll might know something![sic]

Game, stop having text errors. Anyway, let's go chat with those old people down by the tree to see if they -

Oh no.

Ohhhhhh no.

AH poo poo. I TAKE IT BACK! FITTING TITLE.

Grandma Beth: This Agumon Suit is great! Do you like it? Etemon gave it to us.
Jake: Look at us! We're Digimon! My dream has come true!

...This will only end in disaster. Well, let's go talk to Etemon - last time we saw him, he was in the sewers.

HOLD ME, I CANNOT STAND THIS. THE loving OTHERKIN ARE HERE TOO.

Hm? Etemon isn't here, and now there's this jerk in his place.

Mischievous Mat: Etemon? Ah... I don't know. There was no one here when I came. Heh heh heh. Well, go away and don't bother me!

His name is Mischievous Mat. Clearly, he is on the up and up and we should take his word at face value.

Duh.

Sorry, Kail, we couldn't do anything. Looks like we have to just give up on Teddy, write him off for lost, and continue conquering Asuka Server.

Kail: ...what?! There was a man instead of Etemon? What're you doing?! He's Etemon!
Kail: ...don't you get it? He used an Etemon Suit! If you ask him, I'm sure he'll tell you about Digimon suits! Well, good luck. I'll wait at the Underground Path!

What?! Our good trustworthy pal Mischievous Mat... lied to us?

Gasp!

Say it ain't so!

Mischievous Mat: I told you the Etemon you're looking for isn't here.
Kite: Well, of course not, because you are the Etemon.

Again with Kite's patented method of getting criminals to confess. 'It was you! I have no proof, or anything, but it was you!'

Mischievous Mat: ...What?!
Kite: I know your game. You were wearing the Etemon Suit back there!
Mischievous Mat: .........Ah, you found out? That sucks! Hey, just don't tell anyone, OK? I'll give you this in return!

I despise everyone involved in this comedy of errors.

Please no, game. Don't do this to me. No spirit animals, please. I'll even stop the Pokemon jokes.

Mischievous Mat: This is a secret, between you and me, all right?!

Fortunately, true to her word Kail meets us here.

Kail: So how do we change into Digimon?
Kite: Hey! Take a look at what I got!
Kail: Perfect, with these it should be no problem. We'll put on the Agumon Suits and look for Teddy!

And now we're Digimonkin.

Only one thing for it, then :suicide:

Kite: ...How's this? Now I look like a Digimon!

Unfortunately, we're not the fabulous pink Agumon, we're the blue one.

Kail: Be quiet! Keep your mouth shut! We don't want them to know that we're not Digimon!
Kite: Oh... ah, that's true. I understand...
Kail: ...I've got something I want to look into, so I'll go on ahead. Kite, you keep looking for Teddy. As soon as I'm done, I'll catch up with you!
Kite: Oh, OK, but be careful.
Kail: Don't worry, I'm not like you!

With that :iceburn:, Kail just strolls into the Admin Center. After a few seconds, she doesn't leave, so I guess her disguise worked.

Kite: What's up with Kail? She's been weird since we got here... Oh well, I have to find Teddy!

DO Guard: Sorry, only authorized personnel beyond... what, a Digimon again?!
Kite: Umm, yeah. ...I'm... ...a lost Digimon!
DO Guard: First that pink Agumon and now you... You can pass, but don't be getting in everyone's way.

This Center -- which allows only unowned Digimon -- can't even tell if it's humans in a suit or an actual Digimon? WHAT!? Are we sure this is an MMO?

We can't explore everywhere, thanks to the guard blocking us. (Also our arms flap as we run and it's absolutely fantastic)

There's only one real way to go.

Alright, this is pretty neat, I'll give them that.

Yeti, I can't handle this nonsense. Kill me, please. I know you want to.

Yes, naturally, but this way you suffer first.

This is off to the corner, but ideally you'll have outgrown the 500 healing it provides, either through having a better source of your own (Patamon or Kotemon) or by purchasing Super Charges.

Doesn't the orb over our head give away our identity as a player character?

Nope, since the orb is only visible to us. There was some throwaway line in the first update about that, but the long and short of it is that thing is invisible to everyone else in the world.

Yes, because it's not like Digimon are thinking creatures or anything. Christ.

Racist.

:ughh:

Subtlety, thy name is 'giant pink Agumon in the middle of the hall'.

Kite: Huh? Hey Kail, are you done?
Kail: Uh, Um...
[sic] yeah. So did you find Teddy?
Kite: No, I couldn't find him anywhere.
Kail: ...me too. I looked everywhere... He did say he was going to the Admin Center...
Kite: ...I wonder how far inside Teddy is...
Kail: ......don't you have a feeling that he's inside here?

No. Why would we have that feeling? That's ridiculous.

Wait, how do we even know Teddy is here? We just know that he was going to the Admin Center. What if he got turned away!?

Kite: Hmm... won't know 'til we look.
Kail: Gee thanks! All right, let's go in then!

This is the Master Room and oh god those are guards this was a terrible idea.

Kail: It's the Game Master. Let's hide!

A TERRIBLE IDEA

I ask this every update.

Game Master: We can't proceed with our plans!
:iiam: : ...I'm sorry. We are intensifying our search.
DO Guard: We will find him. It's just a matter of time!

This is their idea of hiding, by the way.

Getting caught in 3..2..1

Needless to say, it, uh, it ends poorly.

Kite: Ooops! They've found us!

Very poorly.

Punch the guard by the door and run! Nevermind, they're probably super strong. loving town guards are OP.

Corporate espionage, what else?

Kite: Uh... uh... we're looking for our friend Teddy.

Kite: "So we dressed up as Digimon and infiltrated the one place we have no reason to believe he was able to make it into! :downs:"

Game Master: ...Oh, I see. I'm sorry for surprising you. I am worried about your friend too. Lucky Mouse must have him hostage.
Kite: Lucky Mouse?!
Game Master: He is an awful man. He is trying to destroy Digimon Online! He's the reason why we are having problems with the system!

Gee, Lucky Mouse seems like he's trying to do... :cool: something awful

YOU STOLE MY JOKE rear end in a top hat. I WAS GONNA USE THAT.

Kite: I can't believe Lucky Mouse!
Kail: .......

Kail is having none of this poo poo, but Kite's eating it up with a spoon. He was actually doing the 'shake arms in anger' animation from the beginning of the game.

Game Master: Everyone in our staff is looking for Lucky Mouse right now. ...oh, I know! Can you help us?
Kite: Of course! Leave it to us!
Game Master: Thank you. I'm counting on you. We heard he went towards West Sector!

What a coincidence. Man, it would really suck for Teddy if Lucky Mouse's hideout was in North Sector, or in a different Server altogether.

Kail: Sorry. I just remembered I've got to go...

Kail books it.

Hooray, there's someone who's intelligent in the group.

Kite: ...Huh? What's up with Kail? Oh, well. I've got Digimon that I can count on! OK, guys! We're going to West Sector!

Well, actually, not yet.

That's because there's ANOTHER auction! That's right, the gap between the two is literally 'get the Agumon suits and talk to the Game Master'. Hope you had enough money.

:smith: : This Veemon exclusive shield will start at 800 BIT!

This one's also worth 1600 BIT.

Anyway, before we head off to South Sector and start asking around for how to get to West Sector, we've got a few changes to Central and East Sectors.

First, now that our combined Rookie level is between 45 and 60, this DRI agent shows up.

DRI Michael: Where's my precious Taomon?
DRI Michael: You've got a great Renamon. I hope she becomes Taomon.

If we'd started with the Maniac pack, we would get the sidequest here to beat Taomon, and our reward would be Renamon as our partner.

DRI Kazuki: I'm Kazuki, researcher on MagnaAngemon!
DRI Kazuki: I hope Patamon can digivolve to MagnaAngemon. Well, good luck!

And this guy would give us the quest for MagnaAngemon to get Patamon as our partner if we'd chosen the Power pack. I won't be showing these fights, if only because the Ultimates in question are both located in the West Server, and I don't feel like going through the plot two more times. If we'd picked one of the other packs, then sure, I'd have sat through the plot again, but since Balanced Pack has both Renamon and Patamon, I'd have to do two more playthroughs.

Lazy gently caress.

Also, now that we've beaten Suzaku Leader the encounters have changed a little bit.

Name: Shellmon
Asuka Central - Shell Beach, Plug Cape

Fishing: Asuka South - South Cape

Drops: Water Chip

3 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 3 SPD,
3 FIRE, 3 WATER, 1 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 91, BIT: 180

Regular Attack: Water Element

Name: Flymon
Asuka Central - Wire Forest Entrance

Kicking Trees: Asuka South - Jungle Grave, Phoenix Bay

3 STR, 2 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 4 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 1 WIND, 3 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 66, BIT: 130

This guy starts showing up in Wire Forest West and Entrance. Not hard, especially with a Wind Tech like Air Blast.

Name: Kokatorimon

3 STR, 3 DEF, 2 SPR, 3 WIS, 4 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 1 ICE, 3 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 96, BIT: 160

This walking fried snack has also started appearing in Wire Forest East and Protocol Forest. Goburimon have also infested the Wire Forest East, so we'll be fighting them there as well.

Other changes include: Seadramon now spawning as a random encounter in Divermon's Lake, and RedVegiemon now spawning as a random encounter in Kicking Forest.

More importantly, we've progressed far enough through the story that some of these people will fight us!

Tamer Catherine: Ooi! I'm Catherine from Sydney! Let's Digimon Battle now... but go easy on me.

Oh god, an Aussie. Nooooo.

Well, you've probably got a pretty good team, since you wouldn't fight us for a while. (I'm not sure if it's plot progression, or if it's total Charisma, but before Catherine would only Card Battle.)

What the gently caress, game.

Clearly this is right around Yeti's expected skill level.

(She has two Kunemon and a Dokugumon. This is insulting.)

Tamer Lucia is also in the list of people that will now fite me.

Goburimon isn't threatening.

And this is Ogremon! The 'cute' Digimon Lisa was looking for.

Yeah.

It's totes cute, dude.

This guy is the third and final new fighter.

He opens his line-up with a Crabmon that is promptly deshelled.

Dance, dance, dance! :3:

Holy poo poo, this thing is win.

He also has a Gekomon. That died in one shot, so didn't confuse me. :confuoot:

Finally, now that we have the Counter Crest we can reliably kill Divermon; they attack all of once before trying to run, and before we just didn't have the ability to do enough damage unless we got super lucky, and the Divermon would run more often than not. So, I grinded off them for a long while.

Grinding results:
Patamon: Lv. 16 -> Lv. 20
-Patamon unlocked MagnaAngemon digivolution (Patamon Lv. 20)
-Angewomon: Lv. 26 -> Lv. 40
--Angewomon learned Anti-Paralysis (Lv. 30)
--Angewomon can Load Antidote (Lv. 35)
--Patamon unlocked Rosemon digivolution (Patamon Lv. 15, Angewomon Lv. 40)

Renamon: Lv. 17 -> Lv. 20
-Renamon unlocked Taomon digivolution (Renamon Lv. 20)
-Growlmon: Lv. 10 -> Lv. 25
--Growlmon can Load Double Guard (Lv. 15)
--Growlmon learned Picking Claw (Lv. 25)

Kotemon: Lv. 17 -> Lv. 20
-Kotemon unlocked Kyukimon digivolution (Kotemon Lv. 20)
-Dinohumon: Lv. 54 -> Lv. 81
--Dinohumon learned Lizard Dance (Dinohumon Lv. 60)
--Dinohumon can Load Small Heal (Dinohumon Lv. 75)

Whoo boy, that's a lot of stuff. First off, Angewomon hit Lv. 40, so we unlocked Rosemon. She's our first technical Mega digivolution, and the numbers show it. She's hitting about on par with Dinohumon and Growlmon, even without the two-handed weapon. Rosemon won't be learning too many attack Techs, but she'll be a good support (most of her Techs remove ailments from her allies).

Renamon finally reached level 20 and unlocked Taomon. Fortunately, Growlmon reached Lv. 25 at the exact same time, which means I got everything I needed out of that Digivolution branch. Picking Claw was my goal all along, and now Renamon will be comfortable in her natural Digivolution tree.

Kotemon (since he doesn't actually have any interesting Digivolutions) stayed in Dinohumon the entire time the other two were doing other things, and it shows; Dinohumon was the first to learn the Signature Move that all Digimon get eventually. It's a four-hit combo that does regular damage. So, since Dinohumon hit for about 250 a shot, Lizard Dance did just under 1000 damage to a poor unsuspecting Divermon. I also can Load Small Heal, which means that even if when I replaced Patamon with a better 'mon, I won't lose access to at least SOME heals. He also unlocked Kyukimon, which is basically a scythe weasel. It's pretty neat, and we'll see it next time.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 25, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You put that Kotemon unlocked Kyubimon rather than Kyukimon, Yeti.

Also I see you're grinding a bit more than me, usually I hit Perfect a bit later. And Suzaku's one of my favourite places in the game, it looks so good. This game has really great art.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Since we are not gonna face it, I'll just say it.

MagnaAngemon is a loving hax.

He will spam Gate of Destiny, which has a very high chance to one shot you, over and over and over and over.

Of course with high enough speed you can evade it and get multiple turns in, plus you can just burn revive items and wait for Counter Crest to do it's magic.

But for the target demographic of this game, on a first playthrough?

gently caress YOU MAGNAANGEMON

Fortunately, our MagnaAngemon can do the same. It obviously doesn't work against bosses, but it's a very good tactic against higher level Cardmons that have insane levels of Speed and will flee when given the chance. Digitamamon can also oneshot mons, but it requires that the enemy first be slept if I'm not mistaken

Also, I'm getting a little bit ahead, but now I remember this game has one of the biggest dick moves and I hope you show it Knightmon

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 24, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

lezard_valeth posted:

Also, I'm getting a little bit ahead, but now I remember this game has one of the biggest dick moves and I hope you show it Knightmon

I was trying to remember about what point I put the game down and this just brought memories flooding back.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Update 9: Probably Every Shade
Alt. Title: My Good Ol' Buddy Benny

Last time, we were immediately transported to Asuka City in Central Sector, and then left there after getting charged to find Lucky Mouse and rescue Teddy.

Click for ambience!

Which, naturally, means that we have to walk all the way back to right outside Suzaku City to find the next plot trigger.

Hooray for padding! Also, poo poo, 99. MORE NUMBERS

Nami: Behind the shrine I saw the Crest of Reliability! I wonder why it was there?

(While I was walking back, I got into a fight. Here's Kyukimon and Taomon; Kyukimon is a scytheweasel and Taomon has floppy arms that are really badly polygoned. They're literally three separate chunks.)

Flappy inflatable arm-flailing tube...mon?

Ah, geez. More brown. EW

Fortunately, our next destination isn't too far off the beaten path. We just have to head down to the Bios Swamp.

So instead of brown, we get a sickish looking green. Joy. Hey, at least it's better.

It's a pretty small area, shaped like an anchor, almost; there's no other exits to the screen aside from the one we entered, and the left side of the anchor just has these two trees. You can't even fish here.

On the other end of the anchor, however, is our goal - the Reliability Shrine.

The name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Kite: Then is the Digi-Egg of Sincerity in here? But how am I supposed to break down the wall?

I suggest :bang:. It's not like he'll lose brain cells.

Why not use your Digimon? SMASH IT

Kite: Hmm...maybe Sepikmon can help me...

Click for music!

Sepikmon: Ask my friend Baronmon about bombs! Baronmon is good at making bombs!

So, guess where we're going?!

This game in a nutshell

If you guessed all the way BACK to East Sector to Protocol Ruin, then congratulations, you've realized that this game has a massive problem with making me schlep everywhere.

"Hurf durf, MMOs are time wasters and our game is set in an MMO! :eng101:"

Hey, buddy, you wanna make us a bomb? No? We have to murder you? SOUNDS GOOD TO ME :black101:

Name: Baronmon
Level: Armor (Equivalent to a Champion; he's Patamon + Digi-Egg of Courage)

4 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 2 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 80, BIT: 160

Regular Attack: Dark Elemental

Baronmon is now a random encounter in Protocol Ruins. It's not a huge deal to fight him, but he's pretty strong.

Baronmon: Sorry, I don't have all the ingredients. If I had a TNT Ball I could make it in a jiffy.

Guess what I got the first time we were in Tyranno Valley? :v:

Baronmon: Oh, you got a TNT Ball! Wait one sec. Snip, snip, cut, cut...ta DAA! It's now a perfect Baronmon TNT Chip!
Baronmon: Well, good luck! I'll be rooting for you!

Neat. Now, time to walk all the way back to Reliability Shrine...

Oh, did I forget to mention? There's no indication that we have to go behind the shrine and interact with it. It's stupid and dumb and almost certainly because the team was too lazy to make a 'Kite putting a bomb down' sprite.

Even though there's a sprite of Kite looking down already? Seems like even the programmers got apathetic with all the backtracking!

At least they animate a little smoke cloud.

Kite: There's a hole in the wall! Now we can go in!

Neat, we defaced and destroyed a religious shrine to satisfy our own selfish whims.

Just another day in the life of an RPG protagonist.

Click for music!

At least the music is soothing.

More importantly is what we came for.

Kite: ....Hey that's...!
Kite: Awesome! I got the Digi-Egg of Sincerity! Now I can call Submarimon and cross the ocean!

Yay... :suicide:

We just got the HM for Surf! Yes!

Now that we've got Submarimon, we can make actual progress, which is towards the West.

Finally!

Click for ambience!

It's certainly less puke colored, though it's still not, y'know, a good color palette.

Up immediately north is another of these holes.

Which probably holds a mole.

And then immediately south of the entrance is...

Oh look, it's Digimon Giver.

Yeti, you're going the wrong way! Go talk to him!

So! If we keep going forward, there's this path to our right. And I'd rather fight a boss than deal with that shithead.

But you like talking to me.

WarGrowlmon: I was having a good dream eating bread!
Kite: ...Hey, WarGrowlmon. I got a favor to ask. Can I get Guilmon DDNA from your DDNA?
WarGrowlmon: No way! If you really want it, you gotta fight for it kid!
[sic]

So, now we fight WarGrowlmon!

Name: WarGrowlmon (Boss)

Drops: Guilmon DDNA (After Defeat)

4 STR, 2 DEF, 2 SPR, 3 WIS, 4 SPD,
2 FIRE, 1 WATER, 3 ICE, 3 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 3 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 250, BIT: 520

Technique: Atomic Blaster (Magic-Fire)

WarGrowlmon is actually where my game ended the last time I played through Digimon World 3 - I fought him way too early, without the Counter Crest, and then got defeated. My last save was back in Seiryu City, immediately after beating the Leader. I don't really recall what happened next, but I think my controller hit the wall a few times.

Hahahahahaha, POINT AND LAUGH EVERYONE

His regular attack is a shockwave that hits Kyukimon for about 300-ish, 350-ish.

His special attack, Atomic Blaster, involves him shooting lasers out of his nipples. Seriously, what's up with this game and nipple-based attacks?

Maybe it's a female digimon. Oh god.

WarGrowlmon: That was a great battle. OK, take this with ya!
Kite: Yeah! I got the Guilmon DDNA! Thanks, WarGrowlmon!

Ugh, fine, I'll deal with Keith...

Keith: If you go there your Digimon will get really strong! If my Digimon train there, they'll be invincible!

Alright, fine, now that he's out of the way let's go over the new encounters in the area.

And an in-game model:
Name: Woodmon 2* (Green Color)

Kicking Trees: Asuka South - Ether Jungle

3 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 3 SPD,
1 FIRE, 3 WATER, 2 ICE, 3 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 1 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 76, BIT: 190

Regular Attack: No Element (Drains Enemy HP)

You have to watch out for the Woodmon, since they drain like 90% of the damage they do to you (if it procs; it's like a 75% chance for the drain effect to kick in, I think.)

You'll also find Apemon, RedVegiemon, and regular Woodmon in Ether Jungle, though the green Woodmon are by far the most common enemy.

Moving, on, the area is really small; outside of the side path with WarGrowlmon, which we'll never need to go down again, there's only one fork.

The upper branch leads to a hole.

Do I need to start making this into more rhymetime, Yeti?

oh christ that's a sewage line.

It also leads to this place, which is way too powerful for us right now. We'll be back later when we can handle the fights.

You have the Counter Crest. I demand more game-breaking shenanigans.

I kinda wish that the entire area was this jungle. It'd get old fast, but at least it'd be pretty to run through.

The lower branch is progress and leads to the South Cape.

There's this guy!

Tamer Gordon: Heh heh! I flaked out from work, and logged in. Then let's Digimon Battle! That way I can forget all the bad things.

This dude might be married and isn't putting food on the table. MMO Addicition afflicts thousands of scrubs per year.

His team isn't great; it's just a Crabmon, Gizamon, and Gekomon. That being said, have a gif of a fox slapping a frog repeatedly.

Behold, Yeti's new avatar.

After beating up this dude who's all but definitely fired, we keep going and find the gym in the South Sector! (Yeah, that's right - East Sector didn't have a gym at all, and the South Sector gym is only accessible if you brave the Ether Jungle, which has Green Woodmon and is a right fucker to get through (Oh, and they appear here, too). So basically you won't be having any access to a gym outside Leomon's Gym for a while.) I happen to have some extra TP burning a hole in my pocket, so I do some training.

Training Results:

Renamon: Speed +66, Spirit +32, Power +33.
Kotemon: Speed +63, Fire Defense +34/Maximum MP +33, Wind Defense +30/Strength -5
Patamon: Speed +66, Power +64

You might notice extra gains/losses when Kotemon was training his tolerances. That's how it works:
Fire Defense -> Max MP up
Water Defense -> Wisdom down
Ice -> Speed down
Wind -> Power down
Thunder -> Defense down
Machine -> Max HP up
Dark -> Spirit down

Of them all, Fire and Machine are the only ones that boost your stats. That being said, you can always train the first five. However, we can't train Machine yet, and we can't train Dark in Leomon's Gym. Basically, Tolerances should only be trained last, when you have nothing better to spend your TP on.

As an aside, Shellmon do appear here when you fish, but they go down to one Thunder Gemini from Taomon.

Moving on, we find another of these platforms and nothing else.

loving lillypad platforms.

Finally, we can do something with them!

Under the sea!
Under the sea!

Click for music!

Welcome to the Seabed! The seabed sucks.

New encounters:

Name: Dolphmon

Fishing: Asuka West - N Badland East, Pelche Oasis, S Badland

2 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 5 WIS, 4 SPD,
3 FIRE, 3 WATER, 1 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 98, BIT: 200

Technique: Divine Rain (Magic-Water)

I'll explain what's up with the Location data when it becomes relevant; don't worry about it for right now. Just know that right here, this is literally the only Digimon that fights us. There's no other encounters.

Oh that is boring AS poo poo. At least it's consistent with this franchise.

First off, the game switches controls with no rhyme, reason, or warning. We're suddenly using tank controls, always rise, and go forward (and sink at the same time) by pressing triangle.

The environment is bland, basically two different colors, and this Seabed is linear. There's one entrance and one exit.

Did we have to dive into the Seabed to cross? Of course we did. Don't think any differently.

See this? This right here exists SOLELY to waste your time. You have to go over them. That's one thing. However, the only way to go up is to stop moving forward. The only way to move forward is to hold Triangle, which ALSO makes you go down. The two grills are set far enough apart that as I pass over the first, I sink low enough to get blocked by the second. It's incredibly frustrating.

Note: Wasting the player's time as much as possible doesn't make your game longer in a good way. It just makes it BORING.

When you see this beam of light, you know you're done and thank gently caress for that.

Click for music!

Welcome to our first taste of West Sector, South Badlands. I assure you, this place is much nicer than the entire rest of West Sector combined.

New encounters (There's a few):

This guy looks amazing. :allears:
Name: Etemon

Drops: Super Charge

3 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 5 WIS, 3 SPD,

EXP: 100, BIT: 205

Technique: Small Heal (Heal a small portion of HP)

Name: Ogremon

Drops: Power Chip

5 STR, 4 DEF, 2 SPR, 2 WIS, 2 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 102, BIT: 200

The drops from these guys are nice, but right now we're entering the part of the game where enemies start hitting REALLY hard. We're talking ~400 damage every attack. If this were a regular run of the game, where I didn't have access to the Counter Crest? Holy poo poo, this would be a nightmare. I'd be forced to up Defense, and any time I'm upping Defense I'm not upping Speed or (relevant attack stat of your choice here).

Basically Counter Crest lets me actually play the game.

That, or you have to grind more. The problem I'm seeing is that you invest a lot of time grinding, only to advance through the game comfortably for a short amount of time. If you're gonna make the player grind, let the player feel superior for far longer than it took to grind. E.g., if the player spends 30 minutes grinding, let them wreck everything for the next 2 or so hours.

Skulls? Are we in Wily's castle?

It does look nicer than South Sector so far, though.

I won't make a hole joke since they aren't our goal-DAMMIT

Nick: ...it's you again! Please, don't get in my way!

Why is it suspicious

That's it for the ground floor.

OK, see you later Nick

...Are those trousers.

There's a pair of incredibly pointless stairs here; they lead to literally the same place.

no

The South Badlands are a bit spread out, but there's really not that much to do here.

Into the Badlands...airs on Sunday night on AMC

Yeti, gently caress off. You're torturing me now.

Especially since apparently they can just have a platform leading to nowhere.

Yeah... I never got the point of those other than to just mess with the player.

That jumping point leads back down to the lower alley, so we're done here! I wonder what new area awaits us?

What are carriage wheels doing here.

Click for ambience.

...gently caress.

Oh no a desert maze

Know how I try to show off the majority of the area, give a fairly good look at the area as a whole?

gently caress doing that for Noise Desert. It's literally a desert! Right here, this screenshot has like 75% of the features. There's a few cacti sticking out of the ground, maybe a rock or two, but it's largely just flat featureless area where the only hint you can't go somewhere is that you bump into a wall when you try to go there. Like, all that stuff to our left? Can't walk on it.

The encounters are similarly lazy:

The in-game appearance:
(except shiny)
Name: Dokugumon 2* (Brown Colored)

Drops: Spider Web

3 STR, 2 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 3 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 1 WIND, 3 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 105, BIT: 210

Regular Attack: No Element (Chance of Poison)

The in-game appearance:
More shinies?

Name: Airdramon 2* (Gold Colored)
Location: Asuka West - Noise Desert, S Noise Desert, Pelche Oasis

Drops: Magician Rod

1 STR, 4 DEF, 5 SPR, 3 WIS, 4 SPD
3 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 3 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 1 DARK

EXP: 104, BIT: 215

Technique: Mega Tornado (Magic-Wind)

I mean, I've already talked about these guys. The Magician Rod is a nice drop to have, but it's not as good as what Renamon currently has equipped, so... I don't care enough.

Shame on you, get every item.

What an exciting area.

YETTTIIIIII!!! :argh:

I'm reasonably convinced that this one screen has almost every shade of brown known to man on it.

Also, there's a south exit to South Noise Desert, but we don't want to go that way yet.

Here's a look at Rosemon, by the way. She's got two whips that are made of vines.

Well, that's someone's fetish.

Literally no idea what's going on. All I see is SANNNDDDDD

There's also an exit to the north. We're headed this way next.

Click for ambience!

This is Pelche Oasis. It still has the Noise Desert encounter table, which means we're fighting more Gold Airdramon and Red Dokugumon.

This place is also the Inn and save point for the Noise Desert area, similar to how Tranquil Swamp was for the Bulk Bridge area in South Sector. We can also fish here, but all we fish up is Dolphmon.

Continuing on, we... Oh, no, not you, too.

RUN YETI RUN

Lisa: Hi Kite! ...why am I here? That's a secret. Women always have secrets!

She's insane. Also, why does the game have her respond to something we didn't say? Kite's not a silent protagonist, we know that much.

She's CRAZY. DUH!

...Actually, come to think of it, we never actually see Kite talk unless it's part of a cutscene.

This is, I'm assuming, an engine necessity; by having it be a cutscene, Kite's no longer a player-controlled entity.

This, then, allows Kite to take on the behaviors of other NPCs - like pathfinding, talking, extra animations, so on and so forth.

Oh, this is North Badlands W, by the way. And there's a very important encounter here.

The in-game model:

Name: Goburimon 2* (Red Colored)
Level: Rookie

Drops: Naginata

5 STR, 3 DEF, 2 SPR, 2 WIS, 3 SPD,

EXP: 112, BIT: 220

It's not him (The Naginata is the first two-handed weapon if you didn't buy something from the Heavy Armory. It's not as good as what Renamon is using.)

oh he cool
Name: Mammothmon

Drops: HP Proxy

4 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 2 SPD,

EXP: 116, BIT: 220

It's not him either (the HP Proxy reduces damage taken by a small bit. I don't use it because it's an accessory and takes up a slot better served by Counter Crest.)

Those shadows on his art are oddly placed.
Name: Tuskmon
Asuka West - Bullet Valley, North Badland W

Drops: :ducksiren:Counter Crest:ducksiren:

WAT. FARM DAT poo poo.

5 STR, 3 DEF, 2 SPR, 3 WIS, 2 SPD,
3 FIRE, 2 WATER, 1 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 112, BIT: 200

It's this guy! Yes, Counter Crests are now obtainable in numbers greater than one! The drop rate for the fuckers is stupid low, though. It also doesn't help that there are two other encounters in the area, so you're only gonna be getting a chance at a Counter Crest a third of the time. I don't know the exact numbers, but it's somewhere around, oh, let's say an eight percent chance to get a Counter Crest in every random battle. Now, obviously the numbers are skewed down, since two of the encounters don't even have a Counter Crest, but it's still pretty drat low.

Anyway, North Badlands West. It's got lines.

:tizzy:

(the second chest just had a second Power Charge. I didn't realize that I missed the notification until just now :shobon: )

LIAR.

Uh, V goes into thingie. Idk.

Can we go inside the jaws of justice?

Continuing north, we come to the Nazca Lines.

Is that a Duel Runner from YuGiOh 5D's? :what:

All the way up the stairs, there's an entrance to a place called Bullet Valley, but we'll go there later.

That's a smiley face.

The suspension bridge just loops back to the group of two trees we saw earlier.

Oh yeah, SURREEE. Post Image350, and then Image354 just because it has a hole.

And the east path leads to the exit to the area.

This is North Badlands East. Its encounters go back to the South Badland pool.

600 Bit isn't much to our coffers right now. I think we have up of 65000 BIT at the moment, thanks to my grinding against Divermon earlier.

And yet, you have nothing to buy.

There's a second Submarimon spot. If we go down and follow it the entire way, we pop up in Plug Cape!

So, now's a good time to go over the Seabed maps. There's nine of them in Asuka Server, and each of them connects to different areas and has different encounter rates. The one we took from South Cape to South Badlands was Seabed 09, and the one from North Badland E to Plug Cape is Seabed 03. Both Seabeds only have Dolphmon as their only encounter. They're also physically identical, so it's difficult to tell which is which.

This Seabed poo poo just gets worse all the time.

We also have the West Sector's gym here. We can train all of our Tolerances here, but that's the only difference between it and the one about five minutes earlier. I don't even bother looking at it, since I don't have any extra TP to spare. I'm trying to save up for something special later on.

If we go up the ladder and up the steps, we have this area here. There's also nothing else here, so... yeah.

Now, I need two more Counter Crests, so I grinded in North Badlands W for a little bit...
Grinding Results:
Kotemon: Lv. 20 -> Lv. 23
-Kyukimon Lv. 1 -> Lv. 30
--Kyukimon learned Heat Cutter (Lv. 5)
--Kyukimon learned Frost Cutter (Lv. 10)
--Kyukimon can Load Heat Cutter (Lv. 15)
--Kyukimon learned Burn Slash (Lv. 20)
--Kyukimon can Load Frost Cutter (Lv. 30)

Renamon: Lv. 20 -> Lv. 24
-Taomon Lv. 1 -> Lv. 32
--Taomon learned Thunder Gemini (Lv. 5)
--Taomon learned Ice Shower (Lv. 10)
--Taomon can Load Thunder Gemini (Lv. 15)
--Taomon learned Electro Bolt (Lv. 25)

Patamon: Lv. 20 -> Lv. 24
-Rosemon Lv. 1 -> Lv. 66
--Rosemon learned Grand Wave (Lv. 10)
--Rosemon learned Erase Poison (Lv. 20)
--Rosemon learned Erase Paralysis (Lv. 25)
--Rosemon can Load Grand Wave (Lv. 30)
--Rosemon learned Water Field (Lv. 50)
--Rosemon can Load Erase Poison (Lv. 55)
--Rosemon can Load Erase Paralysis (Lv. 60)

Kotemon just started off strong and got stronger; Heat and Frost Cutter aren't great anymore, but Burn Slash is still fantastic.

Renamon learned her -ra spells, if this is to be judged based on Final Fantasy terms, and her first -ga spell. Basically, don't worry about getting the Load Techs with your Champion, since the Ultimate in the line tends to either learn the move really early, or get a better one almost immediately.

Patamon, since it levels up so slowly, got the chance to get Rosemon up pretty drat high. Grand Wave is a fairly powerful Water Tech, and Erase Poison/Erase Paralysis remove the status effect from all allies. Water Field also buffs our Water moves and weakens Fire moves, so it'll be useful if or when we ever fight Fire Digimon.

:wrongful:

UGH

Back in Noise Desert, we only have the western exit to do.

Oh, what's this now?

Kite: Yeah, that's the plan.
Numemon: You better not.
Kite: ...what? Why not?!
Numemon: Just go back from here! OK?

Kite proceeds to do nothing and just watch as Numemon walks away.

How does he walk without legs?

Like an Egyptian? :v:

Kite: He's gone...

Yes, that's because you let him walk away, you idiot.

Kite: ...but what's up with the Byakko City thing?

Well, I'm sure it's nothing.

Click for music!

Next time, we'll check out Byakko City.

...Hey, what's up with the music?

It's cool is what it is.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 25, 2017

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

GeneralYeti posted:

On the other end of the anchor, however, is our goal - the Reliability Shrine.

Kite: Then is the Digi-Egg of Sincerity in here? But how am I supposed to break down the wall?

Neat. Now, time to walk all the way back to Reliability Shrine...

More importantly is what we came for.

Kite: ....Hey that's...!
Kite: Awesome! I got the Digi-Egg of Sincerity! Now I can call Submarimon and cross the ocean!

GAME, How do you keep mixing up the two crests? That is the Digi-Egg of Reliability. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

mateo360 posted:

GAME, How do you keep mixing up the two crests? That is the Digi-Egg of Reliability. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Because that's not the name of Joe's crest in the original Japanese material. Officially, the Japanese material call it either the Crest of Sincerity or the Crest of Honesty depending on what you're looking at while Mimi's crest is called the Crest of Purity in the original.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Chimera-gui posted:

Because that's not the name of Joe's crest in the original Japanese material. Officially, the Japanese material call it either the Crest of Sincerity or the Crest of Honesty depending on what you're looking at while Mimi's crest is called the Crest of Purity in the original.

Yup, the dub here also had it as Purity for Mimi and Sincerity for Joe. Reliability is probably the better fit for Joe, while Sincerity's the better fit for Cody/Iori, who inherited that crest's power in 02 (which also allowed the evolution to Submarimon).

No idea why they mixed it up in the game though.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Wow, I didn't even notice that when going through the game. I just kinda zoned out while transcribing the text... (For those wondering and/or didn't follow the music link, we found the Digi-Egg of Submarimon in 'Reliability Spot'.)

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yup, the dub here also had it as Purity for Mimi and Sincerity for Joe. Reliability is probably the better fit for Joe, while Sincerity's the better fit for Cody/Iori, who inherited that crest's power in 02 (which also allowed the evolution to Submarimon).

Apparently in Zudomon's introductory episode there's a scene where Joe, after saving T.K. from drowning, reaffirms to T.K. that he was sincere in his promise to T.K.'s mother that he would keep T.K. safe.

quote:

No idea why they mixed it up in the game though.

The translation in this game's a mess in general, one of the reasons I hate using it and avoid using it whenever possible.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 28, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GeneralYeti posted:

So, guess where we're going?!

This game in a nutshell

That's a pretty accurate summation, Giver.

Didn't know that Mimi and Joe's Crests were different in the original, though.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Knightmon ALSO ended my run through this game when I lost over a hour of gameplay to it. :argh:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

And here we are, the moment where nearly all of my runs die. Make no mistake, the Seabed is as deadly as it is terrible, and what follows is even worse. You absolutely need to power-level before you get in here, going in without all of your team as Perfects with some techs ready is suicide. Yeti hit this part far higher level-wise than me, unless you're grinding as hard as the game wants you to, you'll have a single Perfect at best by now, and that just won't cut it from now on.

And what comes after this part is much worse and by far my most hated part of the game, but let's talk about that when we get there.

Anyways, since Yeti didn't show them, here are the recolours of this part:

As a small detail, MegaloGrowmon talking about bread is likely a reference to Tamers, where Guilmon did like bread a lot (and Takato's parents made bread for a living). He even got his own bread, Guilmon bread, and it's cute and good. Watch Tamers.

Podima posted:

Knightmon ALSO ended my run through this game when I lost over a hour of gameplay to it. :argh:

That's a hilarious dick move, though. I definitely laughed as I got hit with a game over from that.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Blaze Dragon posted:

And here we are, the moment where nearly all of my runs die. Make no mistake, the Seabed is as deadly as it is terrible, and what follows is even worse. You absolutely need to power-level before you get in here, going in without all of your team as Perfects with some techs ready is suicide. Yeti hit this part far higher level-wise than me, unless you're grinding as hard as the game wants you to, you'll have a single Perfect at best by now, and that just won't cut it from now on.

And what comes after this part is much worse and by far my most hated part of the game, but let's talk about that when we get there.

Honestly, even as a kid who didn't know what he was doing I never needed Ultimates for the Seabed. I didn't get mine until hours after when I stumbled around this entire sector before I found the drat entrance to Byakko city.

Somewhat related: the badlands music is excellent and by far the best song in the game.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh...OH! I almost forgot about THAT. Persiamon

If you haven't cleared that part yet Yeti I would really like to see you try it without the Counter Crest. I most certainly never beat it without it.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

:spergin:For anyone reading who doesn't follow Digimon and localization stuff, and might be a little confused by Blaze Dragon's post: :spergin:

The levels Digimon go through in Japanese are

-Baby 1
-Baby 2
-Child
-Adult
-Perfect
-Ultimate
-Super Ultimate*

The English dub renames these levels

-Fresh
-In-Training
-Rookie
-Champion
-Ultimate (yes)
-Mega
-Ultra*

As you can imagine, this can be a bit confusing when fans use localized and original terms interchangeably, specifically Perfect/Ultimate and Ultimate/Mega. I always figured they should have swapped the Mega and Ultimate terms ASAP in localized versions to fix it, but we're well beyond the point that could be viable. So, you know, just something to be aware of. Yeti is using localized terms for levels, for reference.

*Super Ultimate/Ultra only exists when specifically noted in a continuity. It represents Digimon that are, essentially, uniquely powerful. Ultimate/Mega level Digimon that fuse or use a super form are, more often than not, still classified as Ultimate/Mega levels. If a series or game wants to separate those further from the normal classifications, though, they will be bumped to Super Ultimate/Ultra. This is fairly rare, and will not come up in this game at all.
:goonsay:

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 30, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kurui Reiten posted:

I always figured they should have swapped the Mega and Ultimate terms ASAP in localized versions to fix it, but we're well beyond the point that could be viable.

The dub's Level terminology from Fresh-Ultimate was intended to invoke competitive fighting when the v-pets were brought over to the United States in 1997 as a reflection of the Digimon themselves being more aggressive than the creatures of their sister franchise Tamagotchi while the Kyuukyokutai (Ultimate) stage wasn't created until 1999-2000, well after it was too late to change anything.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

All they would have had to have done really was swapped the terms in the dub and future products, and the change would have spread rapidly from there. The anime's what most people remember with nostalgia for Digimon in Western countries, not the virtual pets.

I mean, you're not wrong, but that was the perfect point to quietly shift them, and it passed.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Just a head's up, folks, at this point both Giver and I are blind, Giver because he never played the game and me because I never made it past Ether Jungle. So I'm probably not going to be looking at spoiler text or anything of that nature; I know the vague general outlines of the game's plot, but no specifics. Feel free to keep talking about stuff in spoiler bars, though, I don't particularly care.

lezard_valeth posted:

If you haven't cleared that part yet Yeti I would really like to see you try it without the Counter Crest. I most certainly never beat it without it.

I'll do my best.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kurui Reiten posted:

All they would have had to have done really was swapped the terms in the dub and future products, and the change would have spread rapidly from there. The anime's what most people remember with nostalgia for Digimon in Western countries, not the virtual pets.

I mean, you're not wrong, but that was the perfect point to quietly shift them, and it passed.

Except that the level localisations were likely mandated by Bandai who would likely have been against any such change since they are known for being very consistent about maintaining level terminology in the games (Ultra for example was used for both Digimon World DS and Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth which were the only games to include the Super Ultimate level so no one would've known that Ultra was the dub term until Cyber Sleuth).

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

As I said, you're not wrong. Simply that in my opinion, it would have been better to have made the switch. Also in my opinion, it would have been better to pour tons more money into the franchise, and make lots of Tamers merch, and localize every game and manga, etc etc.

My opinions are frequently not viable.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So there's a static cast of NPCs who move through the game along with you?

That's actually kind of nice. Catching up with your old friends is always kind of a neat part of your Pokemons and such.

Of course it would help if we had any motivation at all to interact with those yahoos.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
For myself, I think it was around...the third or fourth gym leader that I just threw my hands up in the loving air and gave up entirely on DW3 as a whole. I don't remember anything to that point though because I was a kid when I got there. So, all in all, good luck Yeti...god loving knows you'll need it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't remember too much past Byakko City. I don't even remember what happened in the city, unless it's that everyone got turned into Numemon?

Anyway, past this point I only recall fighting someone with a Persiamon at some point, the Amaterasu server, Knightmon, and a rematch with Bulbmon.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

it's definitely a thing Pokemon and Digimon have opposite situations (for the lack of a better world): Pokemon's anime ranges from So bad it's good to just bad, but the games are quite good, while Digimon's Anime is generally good (ignoring Frontier) but the games are pretty bad.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Robindaybird posted:

it's definitely a thing Pokemon and Digimon have opposite situations (for the lack of a better world): Pokemon's anime ranges from So bad it's good to just bad, but the games are quite good, while Digimon's Anime is generally good (ignoring Frontier) but the games are pretty bad.

Eh, I'd like to argue that Dawn and Dusk were pretty good all things considered.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Cyber Sleuth was a good game. Had its issues, but was a step up from most digimon games.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'll defend Digital Card Battle until the day I die or I finally give up and start a short-lived LP career with it to make other people defend it for me.

Also Rumble Arena was a nice fighter for the PS1.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'll defend Digital Card Battle until the day I die or I finally give up and start a short-lived LP career with it to make other people defend it for me.

Considering we've had people defend Yugioh Forbidden Memories, I don't doubt people will defend that if you do an LP.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The Rumble Arena series was okay (2 was actually not that bad compared to some of the fighters churning out these days, kinda basically a slightly worse Smash). Digital Card Battles gave all the Digimon all the Diigmon at least two unique animated attacks, which is nice.

I'm not sure I can defend Digimon World Championship at all though. And while they did try with All-Star Rumble, it... just wasn't very good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I only played the first Rumble Arena. I remember Reapermon being a gigantic dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
The Digimon Adventure game for PSP is pretty good. Too bad I can't understand a word anyone is saying besides "shinka" and names.

other good games I have played are: World DS, Cyber Slueth, World 2(? I'd play it but I'm not shelling out the amount of money people want for it)

• Locked thread