Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Guys, come on. Throw me a fuckin' bone here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I keep going back and forth from wanting to see Rumble win to wanting to see Glover win.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I want to see Glover win, because I think the way he'll win will be less brutal and sad.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i feel fairly confident that glover will get brutally owned

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i want rumble to win because i honestly believe he could get himself into a situation where literally no-one will sign to fight him because without being champ there's just no point

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Very sneaky of Embedded to show me Cowboy doing :krad: poo poo and making me think "oh, i'll finally see what rick story does when he isn't in the cage" but NOPE

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
rick story is a tall order for cerrone. that's a very interesting fight.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Yeah I think Story beats him up but it'd be real cool if Cowboy wins.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

-Atom- posted:

rick story is a tall order for cerrone. that's a very interesting fight.

same atom. i actually think donald's the better fighter everywhere, but i will 100% not be surprised if story does what story does. the betting lines are about perfect so i don't really see any value in a bet but if i had to, i'd get on story as an underdog.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i don't know if this is from some cartoon that i'm not aware of but it sucks poo poo
Without the Hank Hill presence it all falls apart

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

TheRationalRedditor posted:

if you told me shmorky made it i'd believe you

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Don't we all

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think that conor is going to win this fight

What do you think, guys??

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

209 bitch.

How do you see it going down? Early TKO? I think that's Conor's clearest path to victory, but I still don't think it'll be easy.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 16, 2016

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I think Conor winning by a tepid decision is the worst outcome then anything for him.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Team_q posted:

I think Conor winning by a tepid decision

i'm not entirely convinced of conor's ability to realisticaly plan on knocking out nate. in my brain i see it like the jones / gus fight, 3 extremely competitive rounds followed by two rounds of jones (nate) winning convincingly, only this time it goes to gus.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I don't think Conor will win by decision.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i don't think conor will win at all

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Well, I think hes going to lose too, but I think there are more likely ways of him winning than others, with dec and sub being far, far down the list.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Well, I think hes going to lose too, but I think there are more likely ways of him winning than others, with dec and sub being far, far down the list.

i 100% get this, but there are so many more examples of a wily fighter out-pointing a diaz than knocking a diaz out. i am prepared to treat kj noons and josh thomson as extreme anomalies in this case.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I get that, but I don't think Conor's interested in those various gameplans, and I don't think he has the tool-set to do what Condit or Dos Anjos did, either. I know how hard it is to finish Nate, but I also think Conor's going to be actually trying to do that, which gives him a good shot at catching Nate with a kick, or clipping him coming in after getting him to bite on a feint.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

yeah points all highly valid, but if conor really is going into this looking to knock him out than the fight could be called over just now. nate showed in the first fight how ridiculous he is at rolling with punches to take the edge off him - running in face first is the complete opposite of his lexicon.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Nate working out at Planet Fitness, Conor with his own gym. I want Nate to win now.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

The best part about Conor's Private Warehouse Gym is the postersize pictures on the wall of him hitting Nate.

Dan Didio posted:

I get that, but I don't think Conor's interested in those various gameplans.

I think Conor's metagaming is more important then winning an individual fight, and I think he figures a highlight knockout, or even RNC'ing are best results to go for, he doesn't need to win on points to climb the ranks or whatever, he pretty much makes the fights he wants anyways. Pointing out oblique kicks for a tepid decision is probably the best path to victory, but not super likely, unless he really needs his win back, and I figure he's much more modivated by what makes him look good.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

if you told me shmorky made it i'd believe you
well, the USADA klurf would have its own urine-soaked accessories ...

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Imagine the first fight, but with Conor holding back on the powershots like he says he would. And with Nate with a full camp. Conor does even less damage, and Nate now easily finds his range even faster and starts unloading. Conor is going to eventually panic when he understands poo poo isn't going his way, and either resort to big lefts or some lame attempt at grappling again, and it's all going to be over quickly. Again.

Conor's gonna get his rear end beat. Again.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Someone linked this earlier and I just want to thank them. It's a bunch of fighters talking about Nate Diaz.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/12/12424062/heart-of-the-209-ufc-202-nate-diaz

Does anyone have anything similar or other good long pieces (mmm) to help kill some time today?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I'm extremely excited for this fight, which is why I'm worried it's going to have another freak outcome where one of them is face planted on the canvas in the first minute.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Someone linked this earlier and I just want to thank them. It's a bunch of fighters talking about Nate Diaz.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/12/12424062/heart-of-the-209-ufc-202-nate-diaz

Does anyone have anything similar or other good long pieces (mmm) to help kill some time today?

sorry man not sure if youtube counts but esther lin's focus series is probably my favorite mma media. her camera captures the essence of what i love about this sport. very few written words are able to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIhmWJv3H9E

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

The same author did a really similar thing for Anderson Silva for the 2nd Weidman fight http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/25/5238624/the-silva-sixteen-ufc-168-anderson-silva-vs-chris-weidman

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

just watched diaz / johnson again. i'm not even sure the classical formula would work against nate. he is astoundingly adept at checking if he feels like it's the base of your gameplan

red19fire
May 26, 2010

evobatman posted:

Imagine the first fight, but with Conor holding back on the powershots like he says he would. And with Nate with a full camp. Conor does even less damage, and Nate now easily finds his range even faster and starts unloading. Conor is going to eventually panic when he understands poo poo isn't going his way, and either resort to big lefts or some lame attempt at grappling again, and it's all going to be over quickly. Again.

Conor's gonna get his rear end beat. Again.

If it goes to the ground Conor's toast. Panic wrestling into RNC would be even funnier a second time but I'm hoping for a Twister or some other rare submission.

Does anyone know who the training partners are that Conor brought in specifically to mimic Nate's style?

tumor looking batty posted:

Nate working out at Planet Fitness, Conor with his own gym. I want Nate to win now.

Rocky IV is a sweet metaphor here. All the steroids and state of the art training can't beat a guy with endless heart training in a barren wasteland.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 16, 2016

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Team_q posted:

The best part about Conor's Private Warehouse Gym is the postersize pictures on the wall of him hitting Nate.

Yeah it's kind of like putting up posters from Scarface all over your wall and pretending that in the end, everything worked out great for Tony Montana.

THE WORLD IS YOURS CONOR.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Conor seems to talk a lot about how he believes Nate was two punches away from a finish in the second and I mean sure in the same way that anyone could be at any one time but that really wasn't how that fight was going.

And if he really believes that to be true I think at best he might gas in the third instead of the second if it goes that far.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

By the way he and his camp are talking it sounds like Conor is going to go after the knockout again.

In that case I think how well Conor does depends on how much he's benefitted from the Nate specific training partners he has brought in for the camp. If he can navigate the height, reach, and lead hand of Diaz to get in range and actually connect on the chin with his left often, I think he's got a solid shot at stopping Nate, maybe. He will probably also be looking to get Nate to step in on his 1 2s and give up the reach so he can counter, as these were the hardest and cleanest shots he landed in the first fight and probably still his best tool to finish Nate.

If he gets out there and still struggles with the reach and height and the tools Diaz has to avoid Conor's power, I don't think all the cardio gains are going to matter all that much.

As long as neither of them make a huge mistake and lose the fight in the first thirty seconds or whatever it's going to be a (in GSP voice) crazy good fight guys!

My prediction: McGregor by Nate throwing the fight for a third paycheck down the line.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

red19fire posted:

Does anyone know who the training partners are that Conor brought in specifically to mimic Nate's style?

He Brought in a 6'2" Left handed Irish Boxing Champion Conor Wallace
and BJJ Blackbelt Dillon Danis

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Conor changing up his entire training camp structure for Nate Diaz is why I love this sport

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Also, Conor is already subtly making excuses before the fight even begins with his talk about Nate being a giant walking around at 200 lbs right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

Also, Conor is already subtly making excuses before the fight even begins with his talk about Nate being a giant walking around at 200 lbs right now.

https://twitter.com/latimespugmire/status/765289794943356928

• Locked thread