Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
My friend who was working on the GTA VR stuff has decided to work on a different project instead:

https://gfycat.com/WelltodoShortBluebottle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
gonna try combining my rift and leap motion. Looks pretty janky but some roomscale has to be better than none. I really want to get back to The Lab!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Not explicitly VR related, but the reveal of Nvidia's next gen laptop GPU lineup is pretty interesting. They're close to being performance parity of the desktop parts and the 1060 should be quite capable of reasonable VR performance. Prices start at $1300 which while expensive, is pretty obtainable for the target market.

This makes backpack/tetherless VR a lot more realistic, provided someone comes along with some mounting kit for this stuff. It'd be limited only to the Vive, though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

gently caress, I totally forgot about War Thunder. I've got to imagine it's rough to play in the arcade dogfight mode in VR, though?

It, uh. Takes a bit of getting used to. At first I played with mouse from 3rd person, and that gave me no motion sickness, but trying to play with mouse in first person is a barffest. Now I play in the "virtual cockpit" (the thing where it's just an elaborate HUD), but with a joystick and it works great, feels much better than 3rd person.

Still, definitely prefer simulation battles though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

It, uh. Takes a bit of getting used to. At first I played with mouse from 3rd person, and that gave me no motion sickness, but trying to play with mouse in first person is a barffest. Now I play in the "virtual cockpit" (the thing where it's just an elaborate HUD), but with a joystick and it works great, feels much better than 3rd person.

Still, definitely prefer simulation battles though.

Gamepad actually works great for air battles too with the default controls (I'm a lefty so no good hotas for me).

You pretty much have to use a mouse for tanks because the main cannon tracks to where your mouselook "cursor" would be and it's tuned terribly for gamepad.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Has anyone delved in deep with DolphinVR yet? How good is it with n64 titles? How does it treat Vive controllers with Wii titles? I'm considering getting into it but I don't know if the software is there yet.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

Has anyone delved in deep with DolphinVR yet? How good is it with n64 titles? How does it treat Vive controllers with Wii titles? I'm considering getting into it but I don't know if the software is there yet.
It varies from game to game but it puts some games in a really cool new perspective IMO. My favorite that I've tried is Paper Mario TTYD, because it just looks like this incredible tiny little diorama that you're poking your head into which actually kind of substantially improves that game. Most of the other ones I've tried have been a whole lot less impressive, although there's an AR patch for one of the Mario Karts, Double Dash I think, that makes it first person and that's pretty cool.

They recently patched in wiimote emulation for the Vive controllers I think, haven't tried it. And idk if it works with N64 VC games or not, hadn't thought about trying it but now I'm going to go do that right now.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Lemming posted:

720p is also probably the highest resolution you want to deal with, according to Lord Carmack you get severely diminishing returns afterwards
I'm not saying he's wrong or anything, but when Carmack is talking about anything to do with VR, I would keep in mind that he's usually talking about GearVR first and foremost.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Helter Skelter posted:

I'm not saying he's wrong or anything, but when Carmack is talking about anything to do with VR, I would keep in mind that he's usually talking about GearVR first and foremost.

Yeah the 720p quote was him saying the Gear VR screen is 1440p so don't bother encoding movies to watch above 720p because you're just going to burn through battery faster and there aren't enough pixels to go around. Battery isn't an issue on PC obviously.

Rift has slightly lower resolution but almost all of the pixels are hitting your eyes clearly. I have both and the CV1 looks slightly better actually.

Edit: I don't even know what the original post was about but 1080p movies on Rift are nicer for sure.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 16, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

homeless snail posted:

It varies from game to game but it puts some games in a really cool new perspective IMO. My favorite that I've tried is Paper Mario TTYD, because it just looks like this incredible tiny little diorama that you're poking your head into which actually kind of substantially improves that game. Most of the other ones I've tried have been a whole lot less impressive, although there's an AR patch for one of the Mario Karts, Double Dash I think, that makes it first person and that's pretty cool.

They recently patched in wiimote emulation for the Vive controllers I think, haven't tried it. And idk if it works with N64 VC games or not, hadn't thought about trying it but now I'm going to go do that right now.

Thanks for the info, I just wanted another way to demo VR to friends with a more "well known" franchise of games like Nintendo.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Surprise Giraffe posted:

gonna try combining my rift and leap motion. Looks pretty janky but some roomscale has to be better than none. I really want to get back to The Lab!
It's janky but it definitely works in a some of the games. Make sure you mount the leap pointing downwards at a 30 degree angle!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

Thanks for the info, I just wanted another way to demo VR to friends with a more "well known" franchise of games like Nintendo.
In that case check out Wind Waker, it would make a pretty good demo. The perfect game would be Mario, but I couldn't get any of them working well enough to show off, lots of weird clipping issues.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Breakfast All Day posted:

Minecrift has handed to the torch the Vivecraft, which still works.
I'm a bit sad about this because vivecraft has fixed a bunch of bugs that exist in minecrift (like WAILA and map/waypoints not working at all) but also requires the vive wands so I have to wait until the touch controllers are released to play the 1.7.10 blightfall mod

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Young Orc

StarkRavingMad posted:

There's a reddit thread here with a pack of cabinet art that a guy made, it has a lot of the bigger names: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewRetroArcade/comments/4qyuuo/need_some_cabinet_art_made_taking_requests/

omg I'm going to spend so many days on this

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I had an idea for a great VR peripheral.

Removable Label tags that you can attach to things so the sensors can detect them and you can see them them without having to take the headset off. So you could label things like standard controllers, the TV, the cat and so on.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Intel have an A/VR headset on the way with built in battery and processors. Cameras on the front for image recognition and pass through etc. No specs that ive found but that all sounds really cool.

Also, Touch demos in stores October. Wonder what that means for the release date

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Angrymog posted:

Removable Label tags that you can attach to things so the sensors can detect them and you can see them them without having to take the headset off. So you could label things like standard controllers, the TV, the cat and so on.
Alan Yates talked about this on the embedded podcast. The hosts asked for a peripheral that would allow them to find their drink without taking the headset off and Alan immediately brainstormed that if your cup had a marker on it, they could easily use the Vive's camera to register and place the cup in 1:1 space so you could grab it. The problem being that every game would need to integrate this for it to work in every game. The way he sounded a little excited about it made it sound like he may pitch that idea to the SteamVR software team so it would be available cross-title, so it might be already coming. You'd just need to print out a marker.

The problem with doing it generically means that associating a marker with an object, the VR engine doesn't know what sort of model to display in 3D to represent the marker so they'd also need a gallery of 3D models for common objects.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Bhodi posted:

It's janky but it definitely works in a some of the games. Make sure you mount the leap pointing downwards at a 30 degree angle!

Abosolutely this. It was totally janky, but still pretty cool getting some motion controller functionality back. I only tried the lab, wonder what brookhaven's like

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

CapnBry posted:

Alan Yates talked about this on the embedded podcast. The hosts asked for a peripheral that would allow them to find their drink without taking the headset off and Alan immediately brainstormed that if your cup had a marker on it, they could easily use the Vive's camera to register and place the cup in 1:1 space so you could grab it. The problem being that every game would need to integrate this for it to work in every game. The way he sounded a little excited about it made it sound like he may pitch that idea to the SteamVR software team so it would be available cross-title, so it might be already coming. You'd just need to print out a marker.

The problem with doing it generically means that associating a marker with an object, the VR engine doesn't know what sort of model to display in 3D to represent the marker so they'd also need a gallery of 3D models for common objects.

SteamVR can already do overlays in the compositor, it's built into the API. Some software is already using this functionality.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

CapnBry posted:

Personally I'd be quite happy with just a floating label.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah the 720p quote was him saying the Gear VR screen is 1440p so don't bother encoding movies to watch above 720p because you're just going to burn through battery faster and there aren't enough pixels to go around. Battery isn't an issue on PC obviously.

Rift has slightly lower resolution but almost all of the pixels are hitting your eyes clearly. I have both and the CV1 looks slightly better actually.

Edit: I don't even know what the original post was about but 1080p movies on Rift are nicer for sure.

I've been curious about this and google hasn't been helping.

I have a GearVR and it's a lot of fun... I'm looking to upgrade to a Rift because I make buildings for a living, and walking around inside them has been amazing! But making quick changes, oh god... the number of times I've unplugged my headset, plugged it in, updated the model, unplugged it, put it in the gearVR, put it on... I'll probably wear out the connector soon.

So - in terms of pixel fill ratios, from people who have used both, how much of a difference is there?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Guitarchitect posted:

I've been curious about this and google hasn't been helping.

I have a GearVR and it's a lot of fun... I'm looking to upgrade to a Rift because I make buildings for a living, and walking around inside them has been amazing! But making quick changes, oh god... the number of times I've unplugged my headset, plugged it in, updated the model, unplugged it, put it in the gearVR, put it on... I'll probably wear out the connector soon.

So - in terms of pixel fill ratios, from people who have used both, how much of a difference is there?

What are you using to view your models in, Unity?

If so just get your phone and PC on the same wireless network and push builds onto it. The first time is a little tricky, but then once it works you just build and run inside Unity and it will make a build, push it to your device, and launch it.

Definitely saves a lot of connector wear and tear.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/18795/wireless-export-and-testing-on-gearvr-no-unlpugging-wifi

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

What are you using to view your models in, Unity?

If so just get your phone and PC on the same wireless network and push builds onto it. The first time is a little tricky, but then once it works you just build and run inside Unity and it will make a build, push it to your device, and launch it.

Definitely saves a lot of connector wear and tear.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/18795/wireless-export-and-testing-on-gearvr-no-unlpugging-wifi

Hmm, I will have to give that a shot as a short-term solution!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The vive software can already do a simple kind of photogrammetry, imagine slapping a few labels on something and turning it in your hand to get a 3d scan of the object inserted into your scene and saved.

In other news, does anyone know if I can join regular minecraft servers with vivecraft? or would I need to get a vivecraft group together?

Anyone interested? :V

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

The vive software can already do a simple kind of photogrammetry, imagine slapping a few labels on something and turning it in your hand to get a 3d scan of the object inserted into your scene and saved.

In other news, does anyone know if I can join regular minecraft servers with vivecraft? or would I need to get a vivecraft group together?

You can, but you're stuck using direct locomotion unless they install a server side mod to enable teleportation

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

You can join any server with vivecraft, but teleporting won't work unless the server has the plugin installed. Also, I suggest making your own server, inviting friends to build poo poo, and then having them over and see what they built in 1st person. It's what I did and there was loads of hype.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Angrymog posted:

http://structure.io

I know someone working on integrating this with current and next-gen VR headsets. Pretty cool stuff.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CapnBry posted:

He had a decent idea for this too though, to just overlay the camera feed in the area around the object so you're looking at the actual thing in roughly the right place, basically like a targeted version of tron mode.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Eyud posted:

http://structure.io

I know someone working on integrating this with current and next-gen VR headsets. Pretty cool stuff.

I can't wait to try the Infinitus Prime tVR but I can't imagine the kind of machine that will be needed to run it!

Also can't wait to try something that has a lightfield display - i feel like those could leapfrog any screen resolution arms race

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Guitarchitect posted:

I can't wait to try the Infinitus Prime tVR but I can't imagine the kind of machine that will be needed to run it!

Also can't wait to try something that has a lightfield display - i feel like those could leapfrog any screen resolution arms race

If the lightfield technology is as good as it appears to be, I can't see any other solution being used. It's got a minimal footprint, extremely high resolution, tricks your brain into seeing depth and realism and has lower power usage.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If any of you nerds have Virtual Desktop and are also Fifth Element fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNm7T0pnBgM

If you have a vive you can obviously get up and walk around in Korben's apartment, but there's not much there (just like the movie)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/18/star-trek-bridge-crew-hits-vr-headsets-november-29th/

This requires Touch, so it would be weird if it wasn't out by then. Of course, we saw what "release date" meant with the headset, so

Either way, super looking forward to this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's been pretty clear they intend to release in October sometime.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
A new Gear VR was just released, reviews say it is lighter, more comfortable, better optics and adjustment, compatible with Note 7 by default (uses USB-C) or you can clip in an adapter to use with previous Micro USB Galaxy phones.

Still going for $100 on Samsung's site.

http://www.wired.com/2016/08/new-gear-vr-best-100-phone-accessory-can-buy/

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wearable-tech/SM-R323NBKAXAR/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone make a ios device please

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lemming posted:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/18/star-trek-bridge-crew-hits-vr-headsets-november-29th/

This requires Touch, so it would be weird if it wasn't out by then. Of course, we saw what "release date" meant with the headset, so

Either way, super looking forward to this.

This comes out on Vive and PSVR too so there is no reason the game can't be released in October as planned even if Oculus Touch isn't out.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

If any of you nerds have Virtual Desktop and are also Fifth Element fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNm7T0pnBgM

If you have a vive you can obviously get up and walk around in Korben's apartment, but there's not much there (just like the movie)

So is there any point to virtual desktop aside from porn?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone have an issue with Elite: Dangerous graphics corrupting after a number of jumps?

It only takes a couple when I use the Oculus debug SS, but I did about 5 jumps in a row using just the normal in-game SS (which is worse) and it finally happened. Closing out of Elite fixes it, but it's annoying. There's a thread on the Elite forums but no solution as of yet.

Someone posted this and it's a good example of what happens - starts on the bottom half and eventually spreads to the entire image.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone know how to reset the head position in war thunder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I dunno how it took this long to hit me, but......how long until a Jurassic Park Trespasser port, do you think?