Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm a great player, confirmed :smug: :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't feel like I was good enough to be considered top 6% at rank 64. Like, unless people are just heinously bad below 44 where I've never been.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ahhpple posted:

Whats korean quickplay like. Or ranked, idc

Ranked and quick play are the same essentially

1. They play super aggressive, everyone thinks they can 1v6, which means basically its 12 guys all trying beat 6 other people so it kind of balances
2. If you don't give them their hero or they don't like how you play they'll just go mercy and fly into the enemy team and feed intentionally
3. They never loving stop typing. Seriously, they type almost from the beginning of the match to the end, calling each other trash and bitches
4. Dunning-Kruger reaching new highs (or lows?) of ignorance. If they didn't get a any medals it's because you didn't use your Zarya ults at the right time or something.

Chinese are mostly the same except they use hacks a lot more. Yesterday my whole 6 man stack was constantly getting head shot by a Mei who wasn't aiming anywhere near our heads, etc. Japanese players are really quiet and respectful for the most part, possibly to a fault. You'll never hear them use voice chat.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What happens between season 1 ending August 17th and 2 starting September 6th? Does that just mean you won't be able to shoot for a higher level for more CP's? And it'll be the same system in place now until the 6th?

Without sudden death does this mean matches will be longer as a whole now?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 16, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

What happens between season 1 ending August 17th and 2 starting September 6th? Does that just mean you won't be able to shoot for a higher level for more CP's? And it'll be the same system in place now until the 6th?

That's a good question. They've said there will be an off-season, but they haven't said if it'll use sudden death or season 2 rules.

Oh, off-season literally means it's off. Okay, got it.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 16, 2016

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I believe they said comp will be unavailable to play during the break. So quick play and brawl only. This was awhile ago so it may have changed.

Also at the start of each season you have to do placement matches.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
You can play comp on the PTR.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I think you'll actually find that Pharah is fun and good.

Source: Pharah main

I can also confirm this.

On the other hand, Genji is overwatch cancer, because there are only two types of Genji:

1. The 3 people on your team who have no idea what they're doing, get meleed to death by Tracers, use their ult to throw themselves off a cliff, corner snipe with throwing stars, achieve nothing but a guaranteed loss, and refuse to change to something else.
2. Single Genji who is on the other team, and is so good with their ability timing, jumps, accuracy, and melee that you suspect they are testing a prototype for a neural interface, because they are literally unkillable, their millisecond-perfect reflect either protecting them long enough to double jump to safety, or get close enough to give you the one cut sword gently caress, and their very presence in the battle makes the game less fun than than a rectal examination with a ball of barbed wire.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 16, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I dunno, I destroy even good Genjis with most of my heroes. Tracer, Reaper, Soldier and Roadhog is what I play most offensively and Genji is only scary when he uses his ult. I will admit that sometimes I die to a perfect reflect but those are pretty rare

A genji that can bounce around a solid team can be terrifying though because he'll quickly be topped up on health and be able to fall back to his team if he gets over his head and his shurikens actually become terrifying when you have a discord orb on you. Plus a boosted genji with ult will just wreck your entire team unless you can stunlock him

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Day before yesterday I was up against a Genji that more or less single handedly kept my team penned inside the Dorado spawn room, up to and including using his ult to wipe all 6 people when I finally convinced them to all go out the main door together and just gently caress him up.

I basically just quit games with one of those Genjis in them now, it's not worth the aggravation trying to kill it with any character, let alone kill it and achieve something before it comes back.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Genjis tend to just shred my Mecha when I engage one at close range. I has assumed that the close spread on the auto cannons and massive hit points would give me the advantage.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

LordZoric posted:

I believe your processor is what's holding you back. Blizzard games tend to be pretty processor intensive. I got an i5 4960k in my latest build and it's been doing a great job. I have a 970, 8 GB RAM and an SSD.

Fuzz posted:

Not to belabor it, but your 6 year old processor might be a start. Did you just forget how old that thing is? There's been literally 4+ iterations of the i5 since your processor came out. I have the same CPU running at a slightly higher clock speed (4.4) and it's been adequate to mediocre for well over 2 years, I'm not sure why you'd think otherwise unless you're a recent console convert that's not used to PC gaming.

Not a recent console convert, no, but I originally built the original tower for this computer back in late 2011. The processor, motherboard and RAM are all on my list of things to be upgraded when the funding presents itself. I got lucky with the GPU last year and snagged it for a quarter of its retail cost. I also haven't put much effort into watching the advances made in the processor world. I fully intend to replace it with a newer i7 when the opportunity presents itself.

I've recently (in the last few months) begun streaming sessions of various games and that's what has really opened my eyes to the inadequacies of my current hardware.

Xaris posted:

Is there a particular reason you want 27"?. I think that'd be more annoying to have something that large unless you're like sitting really far back from your monitor?

My main monitor is currently a 27" and I love it. When I finish building my new desk I'll be able to push it back away from me another 8-9" and it will be perfect for that setup. Right now I may have to glance away to see health/ammo but the game gives enough audio/visual cues that looking is really not needed.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

Genjis tend to just shred my Mecha when I engage one at close range. I has assumed that the close spread on the auto cannons and massive hit points would give me the advantage.

Genji jumps too much for the slow turning mech.

Also get a decent Winston to deal with genji. Whenever I am genji I am consistently kept in check by Winston and will nearly always have to switch off because of it. Only time I don't switch is when a team mate goes reaper to deal with him for me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mei is fun to bring out against Genji because you know it just pisses them off so goddamn much to get slowed and then frozen before the mild-mannered Chinese lady slams an icicle through his robot face.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Mei is fun to bring out against Genji because you know it just pisses them off so goddamn much to get slowed and then frozen before the mild-mannered Chinese lady slams an icicle through his robot face.

As a newly christened war criminal, I do so enjoy seeing a genji come flipping in to the point.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Why does anyone need an FPS of 190?

Your input delay is tied to your frame rate. The higher your frame the lower your input delay. This is less obvious on 60hrz server's than it was when it was 20hrz. Thats about the only reason to push your frame rate as high as it will go and still be stable.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I wish i could play genji, but i don't have a ssd so i can't open palm slam instant lock him.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So Gamescom is soon right? When do we get updates on Sombra and the new map and the new beach party skin pack with pail and shovel Torbjorn

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Have they increased the speed of Hanzo's Dragons? They seem to move a lot faster than I remember.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I wish I could play Genji, but I don't have skills at this game, and shooters, and life

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

I wish I could play Genji, but I don't have skills at this game, and shooters, and life

I wanted to get better at genji so I just played him exclusively for a week in quick play. At first I died to everything but now I'm routinely turning the tide of battle with my ult and contributing greatly.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

You don't need it. Just double jump around constantly like an rear end in a top hat, find the enemy support, spam right click until you get ult, dash around and kill everyone, and repeat. That works until you play against people that actually look out for their teammates.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jastiger posted:

9 out of 10 players agree.

the tenth player is me, junkrat

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zzulu posted:

I dunno, I destroy even good Genjis with most of my heroes. Tracer, Reaper, Soldier and Roadhog is what I play most offensively and Genji is only scary when he uses his ult. I will admit that sometimes I die to a perfect reflect but those are pretty rare

If Genji is in range of any of those characters while they are at more than half health, he done hosed up. Genji and Tracer's greatest strength is the ability to pick their battles - with their superior mobility, they can easily avoid anyone they don't want to fight and only commit to battling people they know they can beat.

Zephyrine posted:

The autocannons are just an invitation to use deflect, and D.Va's massive headshot zone means that Genji's standard right-click spam will be pure headshots, giving him far higher damage output against her than any other character.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I decided to branch out from my normal characters and learn Mei. Mei is very good and fun and if you can icewall the middle of an enemy push, you can split their party and eat them.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The other day I was playing Mei in comp and I thought I was doing well, despite people complaining at the beginning of every game. I didn't gently caress over my team and I used my ult to shut down several pushes. The best moment was on the Illos level with the point in the building. My team was all in the building and the enemy team was grouped up and advancing. I saw their Dva start charging the point and dropped a well in front of her as she pressed Q. My team exploded in praise and one person even said, "Mei I'll suck your dick for that wall."

I nerfed that. ;)

Mei rules.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Main Paineframe posted:

If Genji is in range of any of those characters while they are at more than half health, he done hosed up. Genji and Tracer's greatest strength is the ability to pick their battles - with their superior mobility, they can easily avoid anyone they don't want to fight and only commit to battling people they know they can beat.

That's the thing, if you're at the right HP and medium to short range, Genji uses reflect and then you're 100% dead, either to reflect or the sword, without hitting him once. If he's at long range, or you have a bunch of hp, he hits reflect, you take at least some damage, and then he double move disappears, having taken no damage himself, and nobody will see him again until his reflect recharges - at which point, if you have not found a medkit or a healer, you are 100% dead on the next run. At least Tracer doesn't have any damage mitigation like reflect, so fast and accurate fire can kill her, the best she has is a pseudo-heal in rewind. Also Tracer's time skip is 2 dimensional, Genji's movement is 3 dimensional, which is a big difference.

Those neural interface Genjis just don't even take damage the majority of the time, from any character, and almost never die.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 16, 2016

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
does DVA's defense matrix only stop projectiles that pass through the spaced out squares it projects? like if something were to shoot perpendicular to it does it block it? also at the smallest square closest to her it basically blocks nothing so...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Snazzy Frocks posted:

does DVA's defense matrix only stop projectiles that pass through the spaced out squares it projects? like if something were to shoot perpendicular to it does it block it? also at the smallest square closest to her it basically blocks nothing so...

It does block perpendicular, I had a D.Va hide around a corner and stick its matrix out, and the matrix absorbed all the shots from me headed towards a Lucio that was using it like a Reinhardt shield.

Why exactly the D.Va chose to do it that way I don't know, but it worked.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Dying to reflect should be a rarity. If you see Genji waving his sword around and making neon lights, don't shoot him. Sometimes you'll still get got because you're Bastion or Reaper or something and he dropped on you from above or came around a corner and deflected before you could process who it was, and good Genjis will do that, but if he's just using it to mitigate damage and extract from a fight you shouldn't die to it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dying to reflect should be a rarity. If you see Genji waving his sword around and making neon lights, don't shoot him. Sometimes you'll still get got because you're Bastion or Reaper or something and he dropped on you from above or came around a corner and deflected before you could process who it was, and good Genjis will do that, but if he's just using it to mitigate damage and extract from a fight you shouldn't die to it.

If he's using it to extract from a fight the reflect doesn't kill you, but it damages you, and leaves you vulnerable for his next strike once reflect has recharged, if you can't find a heal. When he's using reflect to attack you, it doesn't really matter whether the reflect itself kills you or just hurts you, because the follow up sword swing finishes the job every time anyway.

It's also really easy to be reflect killed as a Bastion at any range, because the rate of fire of Bastion is so high, you can put out your own death blow worth of bullets before you realise reflect is on and let go of the trigger - and if you are quick enough, one or two throwing stars right after finish the job anyway.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 16, 2016

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Dunno if it's a thing on pc but on ps4 at the 52-55 rank Genji's have taken to just getting in people's faces and using a shuriken fan-> melee combo to blitz enemies down. It's pretty effective since they can just dash through you and hop away if they get in trouble.

Really I just wanted to contribute to Genji chat.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I love how when this game first released after beta Genji was considered trash and 'only worked on two maps' while Hanzo was a legitimately decent pick. Oh how times change.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

It's also really easy to be reflect killed as a Bastion at any range, because the rate of fire of Bastion is so high, you can put out your own death blow worth of bullets before you realise reflect is on and let go of the trigger - and if you are quick enough, one or two throwing stars right after finish the job anyway.

Actually at most ranges Bastion has plenty of time to stop due to the high rate of falloff on his bullets. Genji has to be very close for it not to be reactable.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
does genji turn a spread of bullets into a laser beam back at his reflect target?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Snazzy Frocks posted:

does genji turn a spread of bullets into a laser beam back at his reflect target?

Yes. Or if not a laser, then every bullet at least hits. You can get Genji to make Widow headshot herslf if you fluke your reflect timing a split second before the trigger pull.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 16, 2016

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

My favorite deflect is when I hear high noon so I dash to the enemy McCree then reflect. 9 times out of 10 since I'm closest it will fire me first and I reflect kill him and none of my team does.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Widowmaker's scoped fire doesn't have any spread, though. The question is whether Genji reflecting Tracer or full-auto Soldier or Widowmaker's hip fire has the same spread as the original bullets.

I honestly don't know the answer. (Similarly: is the falloff calculated on the distance from Genji back to the target, or is it the distance already traveled and then back, i.e. twice as far?)

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I believe he focuses the reflect to where his crosshair is. Because there have definitely been times I've had soldier fire at an angle to me and i reflect it in front to kill a bastion or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I believe he focuses the reflect to where his crosshair is. Because there have definitely been times I've had soldier fire at an angle to me and i reflect it in front to kill a bastion or something.

Yes, you do have to aim the reflect (although this works in your favor because it means you can do things like reflect a whole team's worth of fire back at a single person.)