Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thumposaurus posted:

Do stretch and folds and you don't need to knead.

In the linked recipe where would I do stretch and folds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Every 30 mins or so.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Whelp thanks to you wonderful people I finally have a loaf I'm not terrible ashamed of! Followed that crusty white bread recipe, the crust isn't actually that thick, though in parts its a bit papery where it looks like a bubble formed on the surface? Regardless decent flavor and unlike my other attempts there's actually a crumb and air holes!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Carillon posted:

In the linked recipe where would I do stretch and folds?

If you're using instant yeast, this is a decent guide: https://platedujour.com/2015/01/25/saturday-white-bread-90-white-wheat-flour-ken-forkish-method-1-bread-and-two-surprises/

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I ended up using active dry.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Same thing basically, I think you just use 1/3 more active dry yeast to replace instant.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Holy gently caress does sourdough taste good. I've never baked bread in my life and I decided to give sourdough a shot. It turned out amazing. God drat sourdough is tasty. They say you can keep sourdough for up to a week and it'll be fine, but that's bullshit. No way is sourdough gonna last a week at the rate I'm eating it.

And another thing that surprised me. The starter smells soooo good. when I feed, it'll smell dull and earthy, but once it's sat for 12 hours it smells so bright and fruity.

http://imgur.com/a/CQP2c

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
^^^Very nice!

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Sourdough is what I'm shooting for as well. I made my first loaf last night. Tastes and smells amazing to cook. However, yours looks a bit better than mine.

I have some hypothesis about what I messed up.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
You made a very respectable sourdough deep dish pizza (vegan).

Where do you think you went wrong? What process and formula did you use?

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

LittleBob posted:

You made a very respectable sourdough deep dish pizza (vegan).

Where do you think you went wrong? What process and formula did you use?

I did 1tbs of my start mixed into 75g flour / 75g water for leaven
left that for about 6-7 hours, a piece floated in water so it was done when I got home.
dissolved 10g salt into 40g warm water
then mixed the salt water with leaven (mistake)
mixed in the rest of the 150g water
mixed in slowly the 275g flour (after this step is when the salt water should have gone in)
let sit for 30min
folded and let sit for 20min (x6)
let sit again for 30min in dutch oven (this should be way longer)
20min bake at 500 w/ lid
10min bake at 450 w/ lid
15min bake at 450 w/o lid

I was going for loaf, not pizza :/

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
Yes, you should add the salt after your autolyse (the first thirty minute rest after mixing flour, leaven, and water.

You have probably quite a high percentage of leaven as well. I'm guessing it was about 135g after float test etc which is about 49%. Your bulk ferment may be going a bit faster than you think. This can especially vary with temperature - not just of your kitchen, but of the dough itself after mixing. Get yourself a large measuring jug, or container with measurements marked on. Or just use something something you have that's clear with straight sides and mark off every 1cm or something. Pay attention more to the size and feel of the dough than going for a particular time.

Proof time for sourdough can vary wildly for all sorts of reasons, so again, pay attention to the dough and not the clock. Finger dent test it. Where I live now I'm ready to bake after 1-1.5 hours. Where I lived before, twice that, easily.

Pay special attention to shaping a tight boule as well, lots of videos in this thread for that. Bake seems fine, but I would try to get it going in to a hot dutch oven. Using a bowl with a towel, well floured, to rest your dough instead.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

I followed this video and it seems to be working very well for me.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be57uXRf5xo

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Have a no-knead in the fridge for a slow ferment for Monday as we're out of town this weekend. Excited to see how it turns out.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I think the acetic acid bacteria in my starter have out-competed the lactobacillus. Came home a couple days ago to my kitchen absolutely reeking of vinegar, coming from the starter which no longer has even a hint of the appley smell it had before. Also the liquor no longer forms a crust like in the pictures I shared in this thread a few months ago.

I've stepped up my feeding to twice daily (250g each of water and whole wheat flour), roughly every 12 hours, which is about the point in time the vinegar smell becomes very strong again. That seems to be helping but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to tip the scales back in favour of the lactobacillus. I've been debating adding either 50g of milk or getting pure lactose and adding a gram with each feed. Think that'll work?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Ok so I did something wrong. I think what happened is I got my dough a bit too wet and didn't work it enough when I was doing my final shaping, but I don't know what all can go wrong.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't over proofed.
I'm quite sure my leaven was good.
But I was having trouble with the dough keeping shape before the bench rest and on the final shaping.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Looking for a good straightforward recipe for making plain wheat sourdough levain!

I have the starter bubbling and it will be done tomorrow.

There are a few recipes out there, any goons know of good one you've tried yourself?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

The hobbes bakery video I posted works great. They have a recipe in the description.

Just as a heads up. it took me two weeks till my starter was active enough to give a good rise to my bread. You want it so that within half a day it looks very active.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It took a month or two after my starter was even viable before it became okay. And it keeps getting better. I think starters are like dense wines, age definitely improves them as long as you're diligent about taking care of them.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

AEMINAL posted:

Looking for a good straightforward recipe for making plain wheat sourdough levain!

I have the starter bubbling and it will be done tomorrow.

There are a few recipes out there, any goons know of good one you've tried yourself?

I used the new York times no knead sourdough recipe and was happy with the results, just used a lower temperature than they recommend.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

large hands posted:

I used the new York times no knead sourdough recipe and was happy with the results, just used a lower temperature than they recommend.

That looks like exactly the kind of bread i want to make, thanks a lot. Will check it out :)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thoughts on these?

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/9082-classic-sourdough-bread-pain-au-levain

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/9076-almost-no-knead-sourdough-bread

I always trust America's Test Kitchen, but they're not as focused on baking as y'all probably are.

By the way, the links may expire in a month, so if you want to try them later, print or save them some other way!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

This might not get seen in time, but if I have a recipe that makes two loaves can I keep one in the fridge for a day or two and bake it later? I just don't want it to stale before I can finish it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Absolutely!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Awesome! It's sitting in the fridge right now hopefully not over proofing toooo much.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Haha wow my starter rose out of my mason jar overnight, i think it's ready. Passed the float in water test :)

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

are you using rye or whole wheat though? I experienced the same thing when I used whole wheat but my starter wasn't close to ready. you have to be feeding it white before it gets decent. Which I found would never overflow unless you're feeding it a ridiculous amount

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

never happy posted:

are you using rye or whole wheat though? I experienced the same thing when I used whole wheat but my starter wasn't close to ready. you have to be feeding it white before it gets decent. Which I found would never overflow unless you're feeding it a ridiculous amount

I've been feeding it every 24 hours now with 1 deciliter flour / water for 9 days. The jar was very small, barely a quart so I moved it to a bowl. Using plain "strong" white flour.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've fixed my dough handling issues and seem to be back on track.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stringent posted:

Goddamn gorgeous. Love the crumb structure and air holes. Nice work!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Stringent posted:

What'd you do differently?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Carillon posted:

What'd you do differently?

I followed the directions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45z18TtFijU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Thusfar I've been making half recipes, but I needed two loaves today so I followed this recipe verbatim: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016277-tartines-country-bread

The dough was way drier than I'm used to, to the point that I added like 50g of water to the dough. But still it felt dry and I figured I'd screwed up some measurements and the bread was a wash.

To cut cut a long story short, it's the best bread I've made to date, and I have no loving idea how bread works.

nadav
Sep 6, 2005
My last name is actually something very jewish. Like Leibovitz, only longer. And more jewish.
A few recent breads:

Tartine recipe, walnut & plain:

Pain de Campagne from Flour Water Salt Yeast:

No crumb shot because I took it to a party, but it was probably the best bread I've ever made. Anyone else find baking easier in the summer?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

This is what I want to be able to make. That looks just right.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So this past weekend I made one loaf of bread:

And one PSA about flouring new bannetons properly:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Use rice flour for your bannetons. Nothing will stick to it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

what's the best way to store 50 pounds of flour?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

The Goatfather posted:

what's the best way to store 50 pounds of flour?

If it's bleached pretty much anywhere. Keep it away from moisture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I keep my bag curled up in the closet and transport 6 qts to a smaller container for general use.