Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Somefool posted:

NIPPLE MADE AN ENTIRE EPIC SET DEDICATED TO SUPPORT SADER!

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

otoh I now have an excuse to not run hells for like 6 months.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Wow, fantasy New York looks slightly more dirty than actual New York. GG Neople, ya did good.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Jack Trades posted:

Weird, I'm trying that but I can't make it work. No issue with other motions though.
I guess I'll just hotkey the backstep but it's a shame though. I prefer doing motions.

Is your jump key set to something other than C? If so, press that button instead.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Black Balloon posted:

Is your jump key set to something other than C? If so, press that button instead.

God dammit. Yes it is and C is my Skill button, that's why I got confused.
I'm a :downs:.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
So I've played DFO for about 4 hours now, until I ran out of Fatigue.
The game is pretty fun. I dig the combat.
The Fatigue systems are cancer though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
They're pretty much only a hindrance on your first two days of playing a character.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

So I've played DFO for about 4 hours now, until I ran out of Fatigue.
The game is pretty fun. I dig the combat.

It won't take you long before you reach a point where it's a chore to spend all your fatigue, instead of a limit.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
With the introduction of a steam client, is the built-in rootkit gone/defanged? I really enjoyed playing DFO but eventually it started picking up some disassemblers I needed for being productive as hacking tools.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

With the introduction of a steam client, is the built-in rootkit gone/defanged? I really enjoyed playing DFO but eventually it started picking up some disassemblers I needed for being productive as hacking tools.

I'm really not sure, and can't find anything about it. I think Xigncode is built into the client, but I could be wrong.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

It seems like a big limit but it really isn't. On top of that, fatigue is tied to your individual characters, not the account, so it's pretty alt friendly

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
Man these new epics are loving hot.

The 90 Revolver grants you bonus damage for every piece of Unique/Legendary/Epic gear you have, up to 6, granting you a total of 54% Additional Damage. The other equipment grades aren't as great but still super nice. Plus it does some bullshit with DBR and Silver Bullet that aren't quite clear what they mean.

And there's this other leather set that buffs the poo poo out of your critical damage, called Pandemonium Courteous Gentleman.

Pretty good :ocelot:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The true winner of the 90 epics is the pole.

"Sometimes the character will show their emotions."

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

buncha new sprites getting mined. Animated, high fidelity pixelart is so rare these days I'm glad dnf can keep it alive

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Raruna posted:

Now wait a diddly second. Doesn't this mean that we can have 6pc sets+5pc sets? Because I assume all quest legendaries will gain an Earring as well. And if they do, loving imagine, Gracia+any Epic set! Gracia+Tactical!! AAAAAAAA!!!!

Currently there are only epic Earrings, so I have no idea how they will approach this.

Nethertribes
Mar 19, 2011

BLOOD
Imp when are you gonna get Excalibur.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nethertribes posted:

Imp when are you gonna get Excalibur.

Tribes when are you gonna play.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
imp already has excalibur tho

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Excalibur is like a sidegrade for me lmao

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Is there a link to details for this gear? Wanna look at the level 90 asura epics I'll never get.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is there a link to details for this gear? Wanna look at the level 90 asura epics I'll never get.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ERWsPVGJDotgSFzBq-9VUHEf_rWBK2UurvXSJI1N6Rc/edit

Also here's a decision flowchart for everyone that isn't me/Calatar/Ryb/Arto regarding "do I still want to do hell modes before 90 cap"?

Do you want to do anton raid? If yes, do hells

If you don't care, wait

boom, easy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Black Balloon posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ERWsPVGJDotgSFzBq-9VUHEf_rWBK2UurvXSJI1N6Rc/edit

Also here's a decision flowchart for everyone that isn't me/Calatar/Ryb/Arto regarding "do I still want to do hell modes before 90 cap"?

If you don't care, wait

boom, easy

Thanks.

I'd do Anton Raid but even Anton Normal I don't normally see groups for since I'm sure you guys run them hours earlier in the evening than I can get on to play.

That short sword isn't elenore right? It's 42% smash? On top of the +25 boost to your best element and 17% crit rate? It makes my HLS look like some crappy sealed rare. :psyduck:

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I'm up to run anton whenever, I'm west coast now so I'm always on late.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Evil Fluffy posted:

Thanks.

I'd do Anton Raid but even Anton Normal I don't normally see groups for since I'm sure you guys run them hours earlier in the evening than I can get on to play.

That short sword isn't elenore right? It's 42% smash? On top of the +25 boost to your best element and 17% crit rate? It makes my HLS look like some crappy sealed rare. :psyduck:

From what I understand, that SS modifier is basically a new stackable form of smash.

So yeah basically every epic weapon that isn't like Berserk or Byeollungum is pretty much irrelevant in the face of our new 90 epic overlords.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Black Balloon posted:

From what I understand, that SS modifier is basically a new stackable form of smash.

So yeah basically every epic weapon that isn't like Berserk or Byeollungum is pretty much irrelevant in the face of our new 90 epic overlords.

I have a Byeollungum sitting in storage that I'm not using because I have my HLS amped to +10 (and I'm using the NINJA title which has smash on it) but even byeol looks kinda meek compared to this new stuff.

Stackable smash is cool and good though. The level 90 monk totem looks kinda lackluster compared to lightning cloud and maybe rat-a-tat but maybe those bonuses add up much better than I think.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Black Balloon posted:

If you don't care, wait

boom, easy

I was hoping for a level 80 worth it for some class I play to xfer with the stone but it's increasingly obvious i should just throw my crocodile nest on my EB and shrug a lot.

Or my shrieking queen of pain on my vagabond. :shepicide:

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I downloaded this the other day and cleared a few levels and the combat is really fun. However, I don't know if its because I'm getting old but any time I go back to the town my brain just can't process the UI, with players spamming some kind of animation over their heads, about 3 massive stat boxes popping up any time I highlight a piece of equipment with a load of stats I'm not quite sure do, and vendors everywhere. I also got a 'returned' weapon which seems to imply I've played the game before (I'm pretty sure I haven't) that seems massively overpowered for my character's level, most things die in a couple of swipes of it.

Is this all normal? Do I need to worry about town stuff or should I just be powering through the levels and equipping stuff with bigger numbers?

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

yeah, sounds about right. Overloading new players is probably one of the games bigger hitches.

in order of your post:
the animations are probably titles? You can disable them in the settings (esc > settings in the lower left) if you'd like.

don't need worry about equipment stats. Gear in general is very low-impact until you reach high levels. When you pick a subclass (at lv.15) you'll be given a set of appropriate gear that you can throw on and forget about.

not sure why you got a returnee weapon if you're new, but strong, level-scaling weapons are given out like candy in this game. Killing things in one or two skills is the norm, though you'll unlock the option to increase dungeon difficulty a bit later.

yes, you can ignore everything in town. Following the [Epic] questlines will lead you around by the nose, and you'll get the hang of things pretty soon.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Every account that hasn't logged on for 21 days is a returnee account that gets returnee poo poo.

If you've never logged on, that means your account hasn't logged on for 21 days :v:

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Apropos of nothing, I've been thinking about the criticism of level 90 epics being boring compared to 80 and 85. The effects are less dynamic and the overall programming of 'em is less immediately complicated than some sets we currently have, but I don't think I can agree with the "boring" assessment. A bunch of our epic sets pigeon-hole you into certain builds or the use of certain items to fill out the rest of the set, while other epic sets emphasize the use of certain kinds of moves over others. In both of those cases it ultimately feels a bit limiting. I find it intrinsically more fun to press more buttons and feel like I'm utilizing more of my class, and I think the new sets better facilitate that. To take an extreme example from what we currently have, look at the epic katana build for SM, where you literally just alternate X and IS. A two button class sounds like the epitome of boring bullshit to me. It could maybe be argued that the 90 sets should include one or two gimmicky sets like that in the interest of providing some build variety, but I don't understand putting a ton of effort into gearing yourself so as to play less of your class.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I feel almost the opposite. I like that the endgame gear guides the way you play, though admittedly some of the epic sets are a bit too restrictive on that front, like the Katana build you mentioned. Since getting the epics you want is such a crapshoot, it's an interesting dynamic to have to adapt to what you get.

With all the new stuff it's just "your numbers are bigger" and there's no real variety. You don't even really have elemental preferences based on gear with them since a lot of them just add their bonus to whichever element you have the most of.

It means you get to play your class with as much variety as you want in your build, yes, but that also highlights how some classes simply aren't that interesting.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

It made your gear build dynamic, but what I'm getting at is the actual effects it had on playstyle. If new epics incorporated in your build did force an alteration of your playstyle, it was almost always in such a way that it emphasized the use of certain abilities over others. Which, to be fair, isn't inherently unhealthy in game design, but in DFO it directly means you are doing a smaller variety of things. So yeah, as I said, they could absolutely guide the way you play. But always towards something more boring. And as for classes that aren't as interesting, even taking into account their entire kit, how are they made more interesting or engaging by doing even less?

The healthy exceptions I can think of are the cooldown reset effects, which go a long way towards increasing dynamism. Would've liked to see those effects in the 90 sets. But I can understand them moving away from that for balance reasons.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I've been quite enjoying the game so far (with the exception of the fatigue system, gently caress that) but there's one thing I've been wondering.
What kinds of items are possible to get without paying real money and what items are not?
Like, is it possible to get avatar items? Are there any account upgrades that help a lot later if I decide that the game is worth dropping some money on? Stuff like that.

EDIT: I also wish they had a separate volume slider for the stupid fighting game-like announcer that says poo poo like "Overkill!". I want to turn him waaaay up.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 18, 2016

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Okay so I just hit level 15 and now I can advance my class. I started off as a Slayer, and am thinking of going for either Dark Templar or Demon Slayer. Are either of those 2 classes bad choices or any reason? Any reason to pick one over the other?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
They're both good classes. If you want more immediate damage, I guess Demon Slayer, but they both have mobbing skills out the rear end with Dark Templar imo being better at it.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Cool thanks for the quick reply, I was leaning more towards Dark Templar so I'll go with that.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

demon slayer is a little clunky till you get some attack speed, but both are fine choices. You can switch subclasses once for free pre lv.49 (and additional times for gold) also, if you're not into one or the other.

Jack Trades posted:

I've been quite enjoying the game so far (with the exception of the fatigue system, gently caress that) but there's one thing I've been wondering.
What kinds of items are possible to get without paying real money and what items are not?
Like, is it possible to get avatar items? Are there any account upgrades that help a lot later if I decide that the game is worth dropping some money on? Stuff like that.

EDIT: I also wish they had a separate volume slider for the stupid fighting game-like announcer that says poo poo like "Overkill!". I want to turn him waaaay up.

everything is possible to get without real money, depending on your patience. Events roll out every couple weeks that give different cash shop items: safe upgrades, kaleido boxes, contracts, etc, and occasionally avatar sets (the leveling event right now gives a set of account-bound avatar boxes, for example). There's also rotating packages containing a bunch of stuff, which are tradeable. They run ~30m gold, but you can sell the various pieces inside for ~24m and just keep the avatars. I think the one thing you cant get without $$$ are specific avs from the cera shop.

Black Balloon posted:

It made your gear build dynamic, but what I'm getting at is the actual effects it had on playstyle. If new epics incorporated in your build did force an alteration of your playstyle, it was almost always in such a way that it emphasized the use of certain abilities over others. Which, to be fair, isn't inherently unhealthy in game design, but in DFO it directly means you are doing a smaller variety of things. So yeah, as I said, they could absolutely guide the way you play. But always towards something more boring. And as for classes that aren't as interesting, even taking into account their entire kit, how are they made more interesting or engaging by doing even less?

The healthy exceptions I can think of are the cooldown reset effects, which go a long way towards increasing dynamism. Would've liked to see those effects in the 90 sets. But I can understand them moving away from that for balance reasons.

I can see where you're coming from, but I feel homogenizing stats is almost unequivocally a negative. Stripping away 'unnecessary' complexity is one of those game design philosophies that sounds flawless on paper, but practically just results in a less interesting game. Undeniably more difficult on devs to balance/patch/design, but devs got it rough regardless :v:

the adjustments made to epics to make them stronger piecemeal is a smart (and much needed) change though. Having a bank full of epics I can't equip because I don't have the full set is duuuumb

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

with the exception of the fatigue system, gently caress that

You get 1 mileage per dungeon clear for dungeons that are level 17 and up. You can get max 30 per day.

You can access the Mileage shop by hitting F5 (the default keybind for the cash shop) and going to the leftmost option.

20 Mileage or so gets you a potion that restores 20 fp.
30 Mileage gets you a potion that restores 50 fp.
About 15 or so thousand gold can get you a potion that restores 30 fp (from the auction hall, do a search for "fatigue").
50 Mileage gets you a potion that restores 156 fp.
The current attendance event also gives out a week of neo premium plus every so often, which boosts your fp from 156 to 293 (per character) though you might want to hold off until you can open all of them at once.

And before you pop fp potions, just remember to do them one at a time because it costs 1 fp to enter a dungeon, or enter a room you haven't been in for that run (special dungeons excepted, you have to spend 8 on them, flat cost), but if you have 1 fp and enter a dungeon you'll have 0 after entering, and continue having 0 for the entire run, because fp never goes below 0 :eng101:

Additionally, events have a habit of vomiting out fatigue potions like madhouse. Fp is only really a problem in the early levels, the first one or two days of leveling. The higher you go, the longer it takes to use your entire bar. I frequently don't use all of my fp, though I should.

Also, alts extend your playtime.

Really, don't worry about fp, it's not really a big deal.

quote:

Okay so I just hit level 15 and now I can advance my class. I started off as a Slayer, and am thinking of going for either Dark Templar or Demon Slayer. Are either of those 2 classes bad choices or any reason? Any reason to pick one over the other?
Imo do both :v: but I prefer my dark templar over my demon slayer by far and I am passionate about grab hell.

I also wrote a big infopost linked in the second post of this thread. :shobon:

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

_jink posted:

I can see where you're coming from, but I feel homogenizing stats is almost unequivocally a negative. Stripping away 'unnecessary' complexity is one of those game design philosophies that sounds flawless on paper, but practically just results in a less interesting game. Undeniably more difficult on devs to balance/patch/design, but devs got it rough regardless :v:

the adjustments made to epics to make them stronger piecemeal is a smart (and much needed) change though. Having a bank full of epics I can't equip because I don't have the full set is duuuumb

I buy the argument that it's disappointing to see less potential for a variety of builds, but where I'm at if it is that those alternate builds were all about specializing in such a way as to use fewer abilities. What I'm seeing reflected in the new epics is the design intent of making people look at their whole kit regardless of gear, and as a PvPer, that's something I get behind. So while the game overall may be less complex in terms of gearing and set-building and that sort of customization (and I'm not sure I even buy that, since with even more modifiers, it'll be that much more work to make sure your math is optimized), a player's actual engagement in a dungeon run will be expanded.

edit:

NachtSieger posted:

About 15 or so thousand gold can get you a potion that restores 30 fp (from the auction hall, do a search for "fatigue").

I made like 250 of them fuckers and put them in the guild storage. EVERYONE CAN USE THEM PLEASE DO SO

Black Balloon fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Speaking of alchemizing potions, my alchemist alt has the legendary sub for alchemy (and my enchanter has the legendary enchanter sub too but thats not as important) so if you want to make stuff, hit me up and I can hop on my alchemist to make your stuff and let you reap the 15% of extra poo poo per item you craft.