Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I haven't really played this game since the early 2000's, so I totally forgot how cool the soundtrack is. This dungeon has some sick beats going on.

Also, I can totally commiserate regarding having a dungeon map sans compass. I can't live without the mini-map having those handy arrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Oh I never noticed before but the Dragonfiles have dynamic shadows. That's really impressive for an N64 game especially one as detailed as Majora's Mask.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hello I made a mistake and went to bed at 9pm last night so I have been awake since 5:30am here's an update

Episode 20 - Just A Regular-rear end Frog

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Hello I made a mistake and went to bed at 9pm last night so I have been awake since 5:30am here's an update

On the one hand I hate when I do that because I have a pretty rigid mental schedule of what time I do things. On the other hand, the next day feels SO productive since once I work through that off-kilterness I get a whole bunch of stuff done by the time I'd usually just be getting my day started. I am not a morning person, but I wish I were.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I elected to watch the anime nite stream instead of sleeping. Well, it's a night stream for Americans, but here it's firmly in dawn territory. Good morning to all fellow Europeans awoken before their time. :shepface:

Actually on topic: I'm glad you still trust in Deku Nuts and that it's still so rewarding. :allears:

Aithon fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 16, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Alternative video title, "Set myself on fire?"

I cannot wait to see this boss battle :allears:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Faerie Fortune posted:

Counterpoint: Eight hours of sleep sounds awesome.

sharkbeard
Jun 24, 2013

Completely Unamused
God drat. I can't watch one episode of your Let's Plays without smiling. It's a great thing to come home to, seeing there are new episodes. As always it's a load of fun to watch.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
God drat it Faerie Fortune! This is the most magical update thus far. Standing on the flower going "How do I get over there?" I couldn't help but shake my head and laugh too much during this whole time.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Editing was so much "fun". Feverish Joey has no idea what anything is or what is going on at any point. Awake, healthy Joey does, and unfortunately, healthy Joey is the one that has to do editing, so there were a lot of points where I had no choice but to sit there and shake my head while cursing out my past self

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That's what videogames are all about...hating your past self

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

That's what videogames are all about...hating your past self

How apropos in a game about time travel

E: this is a weird question FF, but are you Joey? It is a little confusing to hear the name Joey out of nowhere, especially since everyone else, including your first post, just says Fae. Sorry if this is too personal, but it keeps popping up and was bugging me

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 16, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Faerie Fortune posted:

Editing was so much "fun". Feverish Joey has no idea what anything is or what is going on at any point. Awake, healthy Joey does, and unfortunately, healthy Joey is the one that has to do editing, so there were a lot of points where I had no choice but to sit there and shake my head while cursing out my past self

True, but your past, feverish self also had the idea for setting yourself on fire to light a torch, the most metal of puzzle solutions.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I've been enjoying the fever-dungeon at face value - Joey playing a game she's inexperienced at with the added bonus of fever-logic.

Also, the "Shield" counter was a wonderful addition.

These blind LPs of old, wonderful games have taught me solutions to puzzles that had never occurred to me before. The chief example being how goddamn useful deku nuts are throughout Ocarina of Time.

I'm just sad they didn't do anything with Ganon in the end :(

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
They totally do though, they do one damage a pop to his tail. There's no reason to use them over any of your three (?) other, far more efficient options, but you could if you were REALLY dedicated.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Huh, do deku nuts do damage to other enemies? I thought they just stunned them.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Kassad posted:

Huh, do deku nuts do damage to other enemies? I thought they just stunned them.

I'm pretty sure Deku Nuts don't do damage in either game, unless used as bombs by Deku Link. (I might be wrong, though!) With Ganon it seems they specifically made a design decision for him to be damaged by Deku Nuts. Either it's an Easter egg, or guy just really hates light in any shape or form. :v:

World
Jan 30, 2012

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
The upside to not knowing that this LP had started is having a bunch of videos to catch up on! :)

It's been a joy to watch so far. Majora's Mask is one of my favourite games but I've played it to death, so it's lost its magic. This LP reminded me of what it was like to play it fresh, and that's really special. It also unearthed a memory from 16 years ago when I couldn't figure out why the deku flower at the start of the game made a bell ring every time I ran over it :downs:.

Also, you handled those mini bosses pretty drat well for having a fever.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I always found the torch puzzle in the main room to unlock the north room tricky, and for the longest time as a kid I just flat out ignore it. I'd just move on to the next area and then return to Woodfall Temple at a later time to actually complete the temple. So the fact that fever Fae got it in only 3 shots is actually pretty good.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 21 - At Least Six Problems

Its time for counting games with Link!

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I'm disappointed "Unhappy Sentient Turnips" wasn't the episode title.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Aw drat, I'm ready for this boss battle. Really dig this games bosses.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Stray Faeries :negative: Please remember to get them, you get some super-useful rewards from them and they reset when you restart a cycle.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We will be mandating some of the later fairy collections for obvious reasons but this one is pretty unnecessary. We've kicked around going back to get them in a bonus session but it hasn't happened yet.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Those black fuzzy things are adorable. It's a shame that they want to eat Link.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I forgot how involved some of the dungeon puzzles are in this one. It must be why I never got any farther than the second dungeon (that and the pressure of completing them within the three day limit). That last room before the boss is pretty large and has a lot of variable heights and distances to estimate by eye. It seems kind of cruel to the player.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Oh man, Fae, I can just hear in your voice how out of it from the fever you are. I just want to go back in time and tell you to go to bed with a big mug of chicken soup. I hope you get all the faeries when you aren't quite so out of it...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Artix posted:

We will be mandating some of the later fairy collections for obvious reasons but this one is pretty unnecessary. We've kicked around going back to get them in a bonus session but it hasn't happened yet.

If you haven't recorded the next dungeon yet it might be good to go back and get them now because then Fae can learn the various devious ways in which Stray Faeries can be hidden. Plus she already knows how the dungeon works so there's less time needed to solve everything. And I think the reward is more useful than you give it credit.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 20, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Honestly, for having a fever, you seem to have done pretty well, Fae. Half of the mistakes in that last room were your guides guessing wrong, even. :v:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 20, 2016

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
One thing I remember testing out once years ago when I wanted to play the N64 Zelda's back to back and being proven correct on: you can give yourself a targeting point for the bow by getting some clear tape, sticking it in the general section of your screen where the arrow ends up, and marking the tape where the shot goes, cause it always travels to the same place on the screen. Big help for the various bow challenges in both games, though the shooting galleries in MM still take a lot of practice. Granted, I did this on a TV with a glass front so didn't have to worry about it messing around with the screen when I took the tape off, but there might be some other way to mark it, like a bead on a string or something if you're worried about that.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

Honestly, for having a fever, you seem to have done pretty well, Fae. Half of the mistakes in that last room were your guides guessing wrong, even. :v:

Yeah, pretty much one in every four things your guides tells your is wrong. just adding to the challenge

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

i81icu812 posted:

Yeah, pretty much one in every four things your guides tells your is wrong. just adding to the challenge
So basically it's like having the Prima guide.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 22 - He's Just Looting A Corpse

Its boss time, with all the skill and finesse you've come to expect from a Fae boss fight!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Finally, the discussion can shift from what the spinning turtles' sound effect is saying to what Odolwa's chanting is saying!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

UZworm posted:

Finally, the discussion can shift from what the spinning turtles' sound effect is saying to what Odolwa's chanting is saying!

It's clearly: ilaa'oi, oi'alaai and ijalaa. :rolleyes:

Odolwa is one scary dude. When I first fought him, I spent about ten minutes just hiding in the deku flower, and hoping he'd go away.

And More fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 23, 2016

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Judging from the last few videos I think one can conclude that fever-Fae makes the LP a lot funnier.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Fever-Fae makes the game frustrating and awful to play and we have resolved not to record any more sessions that I'm not feeling 100% up for because it leads to people on both ends just being grumpy

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Maybe if we set everyone on fire, then the commentary will reach soaring new heights! And from this point on I am also going in blind, so I'm looking forward to mishaps and shernanergins!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really don't like Odolwa as a first boss fight. There's far too much going on, and that's very un-Zelda like, especially for the first boss of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I really don't like Odolwa as a first boss fight. There's far too much going on, and that's very un-Zelda like, especially for the first boss of the game.

Everything he does has a way to counteract it but yeah he throws everything at you immediately and that is just a mess if you have not already got each attack counter figured out.

For reference.

Rock Fall is just keep moving to dodge them
Bugs just kill them, Bonus they drop Hearts
Bats you grab a Bomb Flower and Drop it, while the fuse is lit they just stay on the bomb
Spin Attack can be Blocked or Deku Flower Dodged.

The Bow or Deku Nuts can be used to stun the Boss, Deku Nuts have a super small AE as Fae showed off so you have to literally hit him on like the face to do it.

Boss only gets easier as you unlock more weaponry, Bombs make the bats trivial since you do not have to run around to Flowers just drop a bomb and bats are neutralized. Note Bomb mask does not work as the Explosion is not what works but the Burning Fuse which keeps the bats away