Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

does genji turn a spread of bullets into a laser beam back at his reflect target?

This is why it feels weird when you're shooting a Genji at range with Bastion. You may only hit him two or three times because of spread, but his reflect is like three times as wide as his body so he'll reflect your entire cone of fire back at you in the form of a laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Widowmaker's scoped fire doesn't have any spread, though. The question is whether Genji reflecting Tracer or full-auto Soldier or Widowmaker's hip fire has the same spread as the original bullets.

I honestly don't know the answer. (Similarly: is the falloff calculated on the distance from Genji back to the target, or is it the distance already traveled and then back, i.e. twice as far?)

Yes because stupid me opened up on a Genji as Reaper and killed myself almost instantly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FAUXTON posted:

Yes because stupid me opened up on a Genji as Reaper and killed myself almost instantly.

If Genji killed Reaper at an unexpected range, wouldn't that suggest the answer is "no," it doesn't have the original spread, and it in fact tightens it up? Or did you mean something else?

I feel like people are misunderstanding the question because some of these answers either seem backwards or totally perpendicular to what's being asked.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think he meant yes, it's a laser

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Dumb question about FPS: What's the advantage of having FPS higher than your refresh rate? I have a 60hz monitor and if I uncap fps/disable Vsync I get a stable ~100 fps, but will I actually see those extra frames?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Edmond Dantes posted:

Dumb question about FPS: What's the advantage of having FPS higher than your refresh rate? I have a 60hz monitor and if I uncap fps/disable Vsync I get a stable ~100 fps, but will I actually see those extra frames?

Tearing, mostly.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Edmond Dantes posted:

No, there is no advantage.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

After you finish a game, when is it alright to leave it?

Like, if you leave during the POTG, do you still get the XP?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

As soon as you see the VICTORY or DEFEAT screen, you're good.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20744615302?page=1

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

Once you see Victory/Defeat pop up you've received experience. Evidence: Having a loot box ready after a round when I previously didn't have one and leaving during the potg.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Ahh, that's excellent, thanks guys

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Poopy Palpy posted:

Tearing, mostly.

Sindai posted:

Like I mentioned in the other thread, uncapped and not streaming, I avg about 140 fps. There is no tearing in this game (that I've noticed) and the game simulation itself is tied to the frames. At higher skill levels, this does indeed help. There are several videos on youtube going over the in-game graphs and stats at various capped and uncapped framerate levels to show how the delay propagates.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Poopy Palpy posted:

Tearing, mostly.

Sindai posted:

I meant advantage as in "smoother game" and not "gameplay advantage", but I'm guessing you meant that as well.

So if I have a 60hz monitor I shouldn't give a poo poo about >60 fps? That's good to know. Cheers.

LCL-Dead posted:

Like I mentioned in the other thread, uncapped and not streaming, I avg about 140 fps. There is no tearing in this game (that I've noticed) and the game simulation itself is tied to the frames. At higher skill levels, this does indeed help. There are several videos on youtube going over the in-game graphs and stats at various capped and uncapped framerate levels to show how the delay propagates.

/edit: yeah, I saw your post and I have your same setup (overclocked i5 2500k, 970GTX, 8gb), but I was always capped at 60fps so I wanted to know how to uncap that and if it actually made any difference. I'm getting 100 though on average from the 5 minutes I spent in the range, but I do have everything at epic.
/edit2: I don't think I'm nearly good enough to actually take advantage of it though, so this may be a moot point. :v:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 16, 2016

strong bird
May 12, 2009

the higher you are above your refresh rate the less likely you are to dip below your refresh rate in a graphically intense moment

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any tips for playing Pharrah besides "do not hang in the air like an idiot for minutes"? I'm really bad, so it's not even good McCrees/Discord Orbs shutting me down, it's just that I don't seem to be able to actually kill people with her before dying to every single opposing character

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

Any tips for playing Pharrah besides "do not hang in the air like an idiot for minutes"? I'm really bad, so it's not even good McCrees/Discord Orbs shutting me down, it's just that I don't seem to be able to actually kill people with her before dying to every single opposing character

You have to get a feel for leading shots and putting rockets where you anticipate people to move.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I'm new to the game, about a week now, but I have played a lot of Pharah and generally do well with her. I use her jump to get to elevated points rather than using it plus hover to stay in the air; that makes you too much of a target. I also try to stay at mid to long range because she feels squishy. The rocket launcher is pretty much your standard fps one; lead targets and try to get them with the splash if they're too jumpy. If you know or suspect someone is around a corner or in a window, try and get them with the splash.

Haven't had much success with her ultimate though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mystic Stylez posted:

Use your conc grenade to either reposition yourself or the enemy. Preferably off a cliff. Dont immediately go to the air unless youll die if you dont like if you get caught by a reaper. Lead your shots! Remember the rockets do 120 dmg on a direct hit, and even if you just peek a few shots in, it can be devastating.

Also don't be afraid to use your mobility to run away

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

If it's a rank 60+ Mcree/Zen then don't bother with Pharah, otherwise learn to corner shoot with her, or approach from angles the enemy team wouldn't expect, much like you would do with reaper. Also pick up the habit of randomly letting go of spacebar/right click so your altitude drops are irregular and hard to track.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also never try to duel a roadhog. His hook is longer than you think and thats the only way he will beat you. Stay at range and keep heroes like him distracted.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mystic Stylez posted:

You have to hit directs. Splash damage on rockets is absolutely miniscule, shoot-feet-get-kills doesn't actually work. Aim for directs even they're on the ground. Once you start hitting directs, you'll find yourself two-shotting squishier characters all day.

e: also your ult is pretty mediocre, and is basically suicide if you use it while anyone's actually looking at you. it's serviceable as a generic damage ult to combo with zarya, otherwise you really need to come in from the flank while the other team is distracted for it to do anything. Don't feel bad about blowing it just to mop up a kill or two that might otherwise get away, because it's probably not getting much better.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 16, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
you can use an indirect hit to juggle someone into a direct hit

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Jabor posted:

You have to hit directs. Splash damage on rockets is absolutely miniscule, shoot-feet-get-kills doesn't actually work. Aim for directs even they're on the ground. Once you start hitting directs, you'll find yourself two-shotting squishier characters all day.

Shooting feet will three-shot most of the smaller characters, so it's really not that terrible at splash damage. I've found it's really only lovely against the shielded trio, Zarya, Zenyatta, and Symettra.

As much as Roadhog's fishing hook is dangerous, he's also far and away the easiest way to speed charge your ult, huge hitbox, slow, and all that hp to farm.

Also, never ult when anyone is looking, wait til they're busy and surprise itano circus them from the opposite direction, and then curse motherfucking Lucios and Zenyattas who pop their own ult and render it impossible for you to actually get a kill with it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Pharah is like playing golf for me. Immensely frustrating and filled with missed shots for the majority of the game, except for the one perfect shot that keeps you coming back.

Also forget about finishing off Genji with splash damage if he's hurt and throws up deflect. He'll protect any wall from damage and will slap shot anything at his feet back into your face.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 16, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mystic Stylez posted:

What are you running into that's killing you? Pharah's greatest (and only) defenses are that a lot of characters have trouble hitting people above them, high ground makes really good cover, and that her rocket jump is fast enough that at close range it'll buy her a brief respite before people manage to get their crosshairs back onto her. If you're dying a lot, then either you're not being above people enough, you're not using high ground as cover enough, or you're not utilizing the rocket jump to your advantage in ground-level fights.

Her splash damage is pretty poor, so you need to try to directly hit people with the rocket; the splash is mainly good for finishing off weakened people who are trying to hide or evade. Her conc grenade is good for controlling people's movement in a way they don't like, like knocking a close-range fighter away from your teammates or preventing a weakened foe from running away from your teammates. Don't get too greedy with her Barrage. As ults go, its damage output is somewhat long-and-slow, so while it'll kill everyone eventually, if the enemy team's all at full health and not distracted then they'll probably shoot you down before you kill more than a couple of them.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I definitely was relying too much on splash damage, those are good points, I hope to see some improvement soon!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pharah's frustrating coming from an arena FPS background because goddammit splash damage should be lethal, but if splash damage were lethal she'd probably be off-the-charts good again.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Pumpy Dumper posted:

My favorite deflect is when I hear high noon so I dash to the enemy McCree then reflect. 9 times out of 10 since I'm closest it will fire me first and I reflect kill him and none of my team does.

High Noon prioritizes right-to-left, not closest to farthest.

NTRabbit posted:

If he's using it to extract from a fight the reflect doesn't kill you, but it damages you, and leaves you vulnerable for his next strike once reflect has recharged, if you can't find a heal. When he's using reflect to attack you, it doesn't really matter whether the reflect itself kills you or just hurts you, because the follow up sword swing finishes the job every time anyway.

Swift Strike does 50 damage, settle down on your weird butthurt theorycrafting and stop shooting into flashy lights.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
why are you still responding to the guy that plays on like 2 whole minutes of delay

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Pharah's frustrating coming from an arena FPS background because goddammit splash damage should be lethal, but if splash damage were lethal she'd probably be off-the-charts good again.

It doesn't have to be lethal, I could settle for not dogshit weak. It takes like 5 or 6 splash rockets to kill anyone.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

Don't play her like TF2 Soldier or Tribes light armor. She doesn't have the beef to throw her weight around like a TF2 soldier brawling in close quarters (200 hp doesn't go nearly as far here and splash damage kills too slowly) and you don't have the mobility of a Tribes player to justify doing most of your killing from the air. A significant portion of your attacks should be from elevated terrain rather than up in the sky. As long as you can account for where Zarya is, don't be afraid to just spam the poo poo out of distant chokes and any clump of people you see.

Have a plan for where you're going to be when you have to land. Most of the time it needs to be on elevated terrain or back behind your front line.

The lower to the ground you are when you ult, the more concentrated your fire will be, which means the faster you'll kill anything caught in the ult. Prioritize targets that would turn around and kill you or interrupt the ult first, then medics, then anyone else.

If playing with a Mercy, stay in communication with her whether she's pocketing you or not. You'll often need to swoop in somewhere to provide a Guardian Angel anchor out.

Several of your hardest counters have the dynamic of the fight flip completely if they're not strong on mechanics. Get a read quickly on whether the enemy McCree or Widow is going to make your life hell because there's no sense in playing Pharah into really hard counters. If they're average or worse, both fights actually favor you.

Hit targets directly. (This goes back to the value of spam and large clumps of people too. Against individuals it'll just take practice)

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 16, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.twitch.tv/blizzard

Blizzard's thing at Gamescom is supposed to start in 10 minutes I think. Hopefully some cool Overwatch stuff? I think it's weird the Bastion short isn't for two days though

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
also for short hops to higher platforms out of combat you should consider rocket jumping up to them instead of committing your jetpack so you can save jetpack for aggression

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I wish Pharah could move a little faster when she's airborne, that'd make her more fun imo

And like Reaper, I wish she could move slightly when deploying her ult. The fact that it roots her in place is what kills her all the time

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zzulu posted:

I wish Pharah could move a little faster when she's airborne, that'd make her more fun imo

I made a frag compilation of just fun Pharah kills because she's my most played by a fairly good margin and looking through clips my favorite stuff was definitely the jukes I could pull when speed boosted. I wish she had that kind of fine control laterally but then you're back to people turning sideways and airstrafing to cover distance.

I just want fast, responsive dogfighting :(

edit: Other tip. Your ability to take high ground means it's often to your advantage to move ahead of the team after a fight. Be proactive in taking the best ground you can safely hold. Especially true on Payload.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 16, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I made a frag compilation of just fun Pharah kills because she's my most played by a fairly good margin and looking through clips my favorite stuff was definitely the jukes I could pull when speed boosted. I wish she had that kind of fine control laterally but then you're back to people turning sideways and airstrafing to cover distance.

I just want fast, responsive dogfighting :(

RIP Tribes.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Guess I've been over valuing her splash, good to know.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Man, i ranked to 64. Had no idea I was in the top 6% of players. Esports here i come.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Macaluso posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/blizzard

Blizzard's thing at Gamescom is supposed to start in 10 minutes I think. Hopefully some cool Overwatch stuff? I think it's weird the Bastion short isn't for two days though

Twitch is not happening it seems. Here's the YouTube stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJtxnu5Wmag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm looking forward to comp play being unavailable because I kinda got addicted to it, and it made it hard for me to try out new heroes. I keep telling myself I need to do some quick play with a few new characters to round out my go-to stable but I could never pull myself away from the lure of the skill ranking.

The funny part is I'm absolutely terrible at this game, so I have no idea why the ranking should matter to me. I've never been so bad at a game and had so much fun with it at the same time, I guess that's a sign of just how good Overwatch is.