Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

RZA Encryption posted:

What are some good baseball games? I was playing Cal Ripken Jr on SNES last night, which I think controls well, but doesn't have real teams or stadiums.

Then I moved to Triple Play Gold on the genesis, which has real teams and ok controls.

Finally I jumped to MLB 2k13 on the PS3, which of course has incredible representations of the stadiums and even the fans wear different outfits representing their home team, but you need to take a course on the controls there. Way too much going on there. Compared to the other games I've mentioned this is like the difference between Daytona USA and Forza.

I remember Ken Griffey Jr. on the n64 being good, but I haven't played it in close to a decade, so I don't know of it holds up.

What's good with an mlb license and controls that you don't have to think about?

Did we really get a whole page without mentioning Ken Grif for the SNES? It's like the only good baseball game!

(The regular one not "Winning Run" that one is :butt:)

edit: two pages apparently!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Set up a Retropie yesterday, is great. I just wish I didn't have to adjust the settings to reduce input lag every single time I start up a game. Hoping that upgrading from a 2A to a 2.5A power supply might help a little.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Not a Children posted:

Set up a Retropie yesterday, is great. I just wish I didn't have to adjust the settings to reduce input lag every single time I start up a game. Hoping that upgrading from a 2A to a 2.5A power supply might help a little.

What platform(s) are you emulating? Another common solution to the input lag problem is switching your TV over to Game Mode, if it has one. Modern TV's have so much post-processing built in that it introduces a not insignificant amount of lag. For whatever reason it's especially noticeable when playing SNES games like Super Mario World.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Has anyone realized how amazing old video game magazines are? I've been looking through publications like EGM, Super Play and Video Games and Computer Entertainment. I didn't grow up with this stuff but its just so interesting to look through all the articles and think, "this was the only stuff these guys had to get information". The advertisements are sick too.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Erluk posted:

Did we really get a whole page without mentioning Ken Grif for the SNES? It's like the only good baseball game!

(The regular one not "Winning Run" that one is :butt:)

edit: two pages apparently!

Yeah Ken Griffey Jr presents MLB is amazing. I'm surprised Baseball Stars or Little League Baseball for the NES didn't get mentioned either.

If you're looking for something more current but not painstaking the way The Show can be, I highly recommend Super Mega Baseball.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
EGM was fantastic back in the day because I got to drool over such exotic things as the PC Engine/TG16 and Neo Geo in the ads.

Also, Sheng Long. :laffo:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Wizgot posted:

Has anyone realized how amazing old video game magazines are? I've been looking through publications like EGM, Super Play and Video Games and Computer Entertainment. I didn't grow up with this stuff but its just so interesting to look through all the articles and think, "this was the only stuff these guys had to get information". The advertisements are sick too.

My favorite were the ads that had these pictures of these super tricked out for their era AV setups, and the headline "You could win the ultimate gaming system!" or something to that effect.

It was a total scam obviously, but they were a constant in those magazines.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think someone did an article writeup about those contests. I remember reading one. It was literally impossible to win the grand prize or something.

For the longest time, I read just Nintendo power and my friend had a Genesis so I didn't know there was anything beyond Genesis, nes, snes and n64. Gamecube came out then half a year later I managed to get a ps2 and it changed my life there.

Well I remember a friend getting a dream cast too.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Wizgot posted:

its just so interesting to look through all the articles and think, "this was the only stuff these guys had to get information".

That's not true!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rirse posted:

Dang, tried out the Gameboy I got a few years ago at a yard sale for five bucks, and while it still works (I got a copy of Tetris for testing) it has a few thick lines toward the bottom that cover up the screen. Probably not going to get a flashcart for this then, even through if I did get a Everdrive GB, I would just get a used Gameboy Color instead.

2 pages back, but if you're thinking about getting a GBC, get a Kongfeng GB Colour instead. (Provided you can mentally cope with the screen being the wrong aspect ratio and don't need the infrared port.)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Wizgot posted:

"this was the only stuff these guys had to get information"

there was tons of game related discussion on places like compuserve and prodigy, and on BBS (tho mostly about piracy/cracking) and newsgroups which is probably where the best discussions were

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The oldest post I could find on rec.games.video.nintendo...from 4/20/1993.

Kids born 3 years after this post was made can now drink legally.

quote:

STAR FOX BLACK HOLE

It's simple.
On level 1 in the asteriod field do this:
-when see the brown rocks that form a triangle, fly thru it without shooting g
it--it makes your ship a perfect aim for the next obstacle.
-soon as the 3 rotating rocks with brown rock at the center, fly real close
to the brown rock then zap it. ( you can crash it if you like if you got
enough shields left. )
-after the third one, fly to the lower left corner ( a little bit ) then
you'll see a rock with a face and yellow glowing eyes, zap it to open up
the black hole warp.
Good Luck.
Joe

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 16, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

You mean 6 years. :smug:

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Not a Children posted:

Have you overclocked? That generally helped a lot with the speed responsiveness of all the games I tried.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

The oldest post I could find on rec.games.video.nintendo...from 4/20/1993.

And in commemoration of that day they can fly through the black hole as god intended :350:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drone posted:

When I first got my Pi, I was a dumbass and corrupted my microSD card like three times by improperly powering down the Pi. Lesson learned.
I was considering getting a Powerblock, but then bought a USB cable with a switch to start with, and that's actually working very well. Turn on via hardware switch, turn off from the menu and then cut the power. Easy, cheap, doesn't require additional holes in the case.

Wizgot posted:

I found a bunch of good quality scans of magazines I had as a kid the other day and have been rereading them. My takeaway was: boy did they have low standards for layout in those days, one review was red text printed completely across full page screenshots, completely unreadable. And also: these guys had no idea how to review console stuff, applying the same standards to Pilotwings as to PC and Amiga flying sims. And thirdly: Jesus Christ there were a ton of flying sims in the early-mid 90s.

My parents kept them all these years, actually. I gave them to a friend of mine who's big into retrogames and video game archiving. Last I heard he wanted to scan them. Should maybe tell him not to waste his time, actually.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

one review was red text printed completely across full page screenshots, completely unreadable.

gamefan was the worst about this, which was weird because they were the best at everything else, made all the other mags look like pleb poo poo

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Drone posted:

What platform(s) are you emulating? Another common solution to the input lag problem is switching your TV over to Game Mode, if it has one. Modern TV's have so much post-processing built in that it introduces a not insignificant amount of lag. For whatever reason it's especially noticeable when playing SNES games like Super Mario World.

SNES, mostly. Definitely not my TV; I've been gaming on it with no problems since I got it. I've adjusted some of the settings, and I can get the controls on-point at the cost of introducing some stuttering.

SnatchRabbit posted:

Have you overclocked? That generally helped a lot with the speed responsiveness of all the games I tried.

I have not. I'll give that a shot, I'll google up a guide.

Thanks!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I think Play-Asia will have them for sale tomorrow morning. Though I am willing to play inflated prices if the drat thing is matte. :argh:

I know it's region locked and the language can't even be changed but I am like 85% sure that the system can be hacked to get around all of that, though who knows what firmware it ships with.

Also report back as to whether or not it's a TN or IPS panel! :toot:

Received mine today, Firmware 11.0 out-of-the-box. How do I check the panel shenanigans again?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ah, this must be from that book series-gone-TV show I've heard so much about, A Throne of Games.

(Even though that was only the first book, and the series is actually called A Song of Fire 'n Ice)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

Ah, this must be from that book series-gone-TV show I've heard so much about, A Throne of Games.

(Even though that was only the first book, and the series is actually called A Song of Fire 'n Ice)

This is a pretty good dad joke.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

gamefan was the worst about this, which was weird because they were the best at everything else, made all the other mags look like pleb poo poo

Gamefan weren't trying to be journalists, they were someone's tumblr in the 90s complete with hundreds of images horribly aligned on a page, obnoxious color schemes, and of course the random racist diatribe.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

and of course the random racist diatribe.

that only happened once :colbert:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

d0s posted:

that only happened once :colbert:

Gamefan was a trainwreck.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/gamefan/GameFAN.htm

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I never had a subscription to a proper game mag as a kid until getting Nintendo Power in late '97, so my information about the wider world of gaming was limited to what I read at the rack in the 7/11 or supermarket, and the selective bits and bobs that came through in the 2 page video game section of the monthly Disney Adventures. As a result the few times I actually purchased an issue of another gaming magazine proved be a real bounty of information.

I still have the first Tips & Tricks Video Game Codebook. Beyond the staggering number of cheat codes there was a lot of other cool information in it. Each section was dedicated to a particular platform, and at the beginning there was a brief history/overview/review of the console in question, with several little sidebars pointing out neat peripheral hardware and other trivia. I learned about the SGB Commander and the Capcom Pad Soldier from that. The cheats themselves were an incredible spark for imagination: reading about games I'd never heard of and getting these glimpses of what was possible in them without any proper context left a lot to be inferred, especially when some of them had insane conditions or button combinations, or the results were patently unbelievable. And then there was the simple joy of having this huge dump of all the cheats that applied to many games I already owned, suddenly having new toys to play with.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gamefan is responsible for turning me into a weeb. The first issue I read (has Turok on the cover) ends with a review of Plastic Little (a really bad ecchi film) and Perfect Blue (you know, the not-so-secret inspiration for Academy Award winner Black Swan). In the same issue they have a review of a Ranma 1/2 fighter and this huge double-page spread of Wild Arms which got me SUPER PUMPED.

I think one of their later issues had the entire ending of Final Fantasy in screencaps because why the hell not?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Schremp Howard posted:

Yeah Ken Griffey Jr presents MLB is amazing. I'm surprised Baseball Stars or Little League Baseball for the NES didn't get mentioned either.

If you're looking for something more current but not painstaking the way The Show can be, I highly recommend Super Mega Baseball.

The criteria included MLB license, or else I'd have said Baseball Stars straight off. I never played Griffey because I never owned a SNES.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

The criteria included MLB license, or else I'd have said Baseball Stars straight off. I never played Griffey because I never owned a SNES.

I missed this, or else I would have mentioned that the MLB got the rights to RBI Baseball in 2014 and deliberately made a game that is barely more complicated to control than the NES game. I think most people hate it but I played 2014 and 2015 and they seemed alright to me.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm of the Nintendo Power -> ExpertGamer/GameInformer -> GameWinners.com -> GameFAQs.com generation. The magazines get a lot more dull around the beginning of the PS2 era though.

I like the ones that have mini-walkthroughs of 5 games randomly. I got one for Tomb Raider III hand-drawn walkthrough of the first half of the game, and it also had strats for Turok 2, Trap Gunner, Darkstalkers 3 and Ocarina of Time. I would read them even though I didn't even have an N64 to try Turok with. But I could tell you where the key was in Primagen's Lightship or whatever.

Tangentially related, I just ordered the only copies I could find on ebay of the US Wild Arms + Wild Arms 2 strategy guides for old times' sake. Gonna play through those again soon and I need some solid bathroom break reading.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PlayStation Magazine (PSM) which was technically an unofficial magazine until 2007 when it became officially official, was consistently good throughout at least the PS2 era. They did a lot of weird articles, hired indie comic book artists to do pinups and stuff, and Joe Mad's new Battlechasers RPG is basically every idea written down in a "our dream RPG" article from the magazine.

e: They also made the news with their infamous nude female lead game that was a bunch of doctored Tomb Raider screenshots.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 16, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yes undoubtedly, but they were also "real" in a way so many magazines back then weren't. they seemed to genuinely love games and writing about games and showing you cool poo poo that had nothing to do with advertisers because most of it you couldn't even get in the US. in the days before the web a magazine like that was indispensable and super appreciated

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

d0s posted:

yes undoubtedly, but they were also "real" in a way so many magazines back then weren't. they seemed to genuinely love games and writing about games and showing you cool poo poo that had nothing to do with advertisers because most of it you couldn't even get in the US. in the days before the web a magazine like that was indispensable and super appreciated

for the thread so that it isn't skimmed over from the goldmine that is the HG101 archive of that ...

Gamefan posted:

djpubba
Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza

Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

--

Oh, there's a doosy of a story behind that one. I poo poo you not, but Halverson was high on acid when he wrote the Cybermorph article, along with half the staff. We had just pulled a couple of all-nighters in a row, which was the norm at deadline times. Apparently, when The Enquirer came back to work the next morning, he dropped some acid in the coffee pot, which most of the crew, including Halverson, drank from. I wasn't a coffee drinker at the time so I didn't really notice anything unusual and didn't learn what was going on until George started threatening to murder Cockburn.

So, re-read that Cybermorph article now that you know he was on acid, and it'll shed new light on just why he thought it was such a great game.

"real" is a very relative term

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Caitlin posted:

for the thread so that it isn't skimmed over from the goldmine that is the HG101 archive of that ...

"real" is a very relative term

Where did you learn to fly? :lsd:

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Local CL has this PVM for sale for $50.

Sony PVM-14N5U 14" NTSC Monitor

See here for details --
http://www.broadcaststore.com/pdf/model/17906/pvm20n.pdf

No RGB, guess that makes this a pass? How much should I expect to pay for an RGB model? Guessing CL is still the best outlet for these types of monitors or is there some other place to find one?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Bonobos posted:

Local CL has this PVM for sale for $50.

Sony PVM-14N5U 14" NTSC Monitor

See here for details --
http://www.broadcaststore.com/pdf/model/17906/pvm20n.pdf

No RGB, guess that makes this a pass? How much should I expect to pay for an RGB model? Guessing CL is still the best outlet for these types of monitors or is there some other place to find one?

S-video is more than good enough for 16bit and earlier, you should already have contacted the seller and struck the deal.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

HG101 gamefan thing posted:

Kei also confided to whoever happened to be listening that he was not jealous of American men. He explained that American men may have large penises, but they were not able to have very stiff erections because of that. He went on to say that Japanese men had small penises, but enjoyed the luxury of VERY hard erections (illustrated with a shaken fist in the air, arm bent at the elbow)

lmao

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
My mag of choice was Videogames and Computer Entertainment. It was made by the people who did Electronic Games in the Pre Crash era and I would say Next Generation was the closest thing to a successor. Except unlike NG there was no hint of Wired like pretension.

They were critical of the game companies and would report the stuff they pulled. The mag initially reviewed games without scores and were more interested in talking about what's out now as opposed to poo poo IN THE FUTURE YOU PROBABLY WONT GET BECAUSE ITS A GUNDAM GAME IN 1990 type stuff.

They were talking up how great the Vectrex was even back then. Things like sex and violence in games. It wasn't trying to appeal to the small children that Gamepro was nor did they pander to console players and preview crap like EGM did.

Sadly the market liked EGM and slowly the magazine became more and more like that poo poo rag. ( Nintendo Power was propaganda but in those days their maps and walkthroughs alone made the publication worthwhile. )

I also loved Computer Gaming World for similar reasons but yet again Ron Paul's Free Market decided aiming for younger and dumber was better and PC Gamer won out there. :doom:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Holy lol

Also yeah I really liked Video Games and Computer Entertainment to

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Phantasium posted:

I missed this, or else I would have mentioned that the MLB got the rights to RBI Baseball in 2014 and deliberately made a game that is barely more complicated to control than the NES game. I think most people hate it but I played 2014 and 2015 and they seemed alright to me.

Oh hell yeah, I need to try this out. I wish there was a physical release, though. =[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Oh hell yeah, I need to try this out. I wish there was a physical release, though. =[

There is for the 2016 version, which I haven't tried.

https://www.amazon.com/RBI-Baseball-2016-Xbox-One/dp/B01CR385LS

• Locked thread