Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

xzzy posted:

Slapshots in low level beer league are stupid anyways, no one can control them and all they do is hurt someone or bang off the glass.

This.
After being sidelined for the first half of this year and seeing at least a couple people a season get wrecked by them I'm pretty much over it. It's frustrating when you're on a team that consistently loses by wide margins and the other team feels the 3rd period is slap shot practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Some guy bombed a slapshot from center ice as the clock ran out yesterday and ended up hitting one of our players up high in the chest. We started talking poo poo to the guy and their team gave the "play to win the game" bullshit.

First off, rear end in a top hat, the shot was after the buzzer and way too high so it was a garbage attempt and secondly, this is loving bottom tier DD/Aluminum so who gives a poo poo about winning when it's at the expense of being a dick or potentially hurting someone.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Shoutout to the D men who have their goalies backs, this one preserved a shutout in our championship game.

Full game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tgIrJ9C42E

Re:Slapshots.

As a goalie I dont mind them because I'm geared up. If you're playing league/pickup and they're skilled they typically know when to take the shot even accounting for deflections. When its C level guys trying to get a contract for all the scouts in the crowd, thats where you can get pissed. Hey even ex NHL'ers can get overconfident with their shot accuracy.

https://gfycat.com/RichConsiderateAnt

titanium fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 15, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I like when people take slap shots in D league because it is pretty much guaranteed to miss the net entirely. Unless of course your own defenseman knocks the puck down and into the net.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Slapshots are for breakaways only. 67% of the time, it works every time.

On another note, I've been using 62-65 flex intermediate sticks for like 5 years. I just bought a senior 75 that I have to cut down last week. Going to be interesting playing with a much stiffer stick tonight.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Loss in playoff game one by like 5 points. Every single one of their goals is low angle and precise to the point of appearing to be magic. About halfway through the 3rd the ref finally asked their ringers who they play for and all that could be heard were crickets until their captain pipes up, "They play for a division 1 club team." Which sounds wacky until you see 5 of them exit the building with their Arkansas and Alabama@Birmingham travel bags. One of them had Texas Stars shells on, but he wasn't *that* good.

Every summer teams stack their roster with skaters who shouldn't be B/C but play there anyway. Team gets caught and pulls the "aw shucks, I didn't know. they won't be back for the winter session." and then their rosters don't get mangled because we're already in the playoffs. Then next summer rolls around and it's the same story, maybe a different team.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

titanium posted:

Shoutout to the D men who have their goalies backs, this one preserved a shutout in our championship game.

New pads again?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I played against a couple guys from the Clemson club team on Saturday and they definitely could pick corners. One of them wired a shot that chipped my mask. Granted it was a mixed pickup with no skill level, so you see hotshots occasionally.

These guys are Div 3, but you could definitely tell they are a cut above the average beer leaguer.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm just trying to round out my kit guys, i almost never get a chance to hit a slapper because there's far too much traffic in the way anyway!

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Bradf0rd posted:

New pads again?

Yeah it had been 2 years and I wanted something to match my Sunday Northstars squad better. The set will work for a fair amount of other team color combos.

titanium fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 15, 2016

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

Really is a large a large kind of thing. My old set one was fine the other was tight as hell.

Go one size larger.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ok, different question because a friend of mine just bought some.

Bauer speed plates, do they actually help? A colleague of mine likes them but he's fairly new to skating, so i'm kinda double checking before I go all in and nab some.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I legitimately had to google what the hell a speed plate is.

It's a goddamn insole. Of course it's called a speed plate.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

No, they don't really do that much.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I regularly forget my insoles and aside from mild rivet discomfort notice no difference at all

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I bought a pair of superfeet or whatever once, and side by side with the default insoles, I couldn't tell anything outside of a difference in shape because of a higher arch in the superfeet. since then I've regarded all skate insoles as hockey snake oil.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

See what you need is $800 white hockey skates to really take your game to the next level.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

On another note, I've been using 62-65 flex intermediate sticks for like 5 years. I just bought a senior 75 that I have to cut down last week. Going to be interesting playing with a much stiffer stick tonight.

Second shot: goal. Playoff win. Stick purchase validated.

I did notice more zip on my warmup slappers as well.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Thufir posted:

gently caress, I've been playing through some groin pain for the last couple of months and it finally got bad enough for me to go to the doctor. Turns out I've got a sports hernia so I guess I'm out of action for a few months except for PT. :suicide:

I just started skating again and turns out not playing for 5 months will really gently caress your conditioning.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
So Stinky Socks is doing a promotion right now where if you sign up for a league, you get entered into a raffle and the winners get to play on the outdoor rink at Fenway Park this January. Sounds like an amazing experience that the best friends of the people who run the league will get to experience while pretending everyone else had a chance to get in too, but at least theres that small hope of getting to play there, especially since they have a game for each skill level so we can ensure that the outdoor rink is exposed to the worst D-league play ever witnessed.

They also started offering games at the Bruins new practice rink and I'll definitely be looking to play a game or two there since I played a lot at the old rink in peewee.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tremendous Taste posted:

No, they don't really do that much.

bewbies posted:

I regularly forget my insoles and aside from mild rivet discomfort notice no difference at all

Cheers, that'll save me some cash

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I like my super feet, they helped remove some muscle pain.

Buy them, don't trust these weirdos. Bewbies can't even skate backwards.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I mean, if you need arch support sure. But it won't make you skate faster.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Vargatron posted:

See what you need is $800 white hockey skates to really take your game to the next level.

what now? they weren't $800 though. maybe that's the problem.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Superfeet helped get rid of muscle pain in my foot almost immediately. I'd recommend them to anyone.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Y'all deserve better fitting service

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I'll argue that insoles made a bit difference for me, at least ones in your general foot shape should be used. As a goalie I'm doing a lot more shuffle movement which could be more noticeable but you do get a more direct response out of your push when you have a better connection to skate.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Insoles are for comfort and not performance you retards

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Lack of performance insoles have cost many a beer leaguer a call up to the C2 division. Don't let it happen to you.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Not being distracted by how pained your feet are = performing better

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Quit having gross broken feet, everyone and just play with the insoles God (tm) intended.

How do I know which superfeet is right for me?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I bought some superfeet forever ago and tried them in both my skates and I can't stand them hope that helps

I'm also a poo poo skater hope that helps also

edit: lol the word filter on "h t h"
edit 2: oh yeah for our first playoff game we currently have four (4) skaters and I'm pretty sure it's not going to get much better than that.
:lol::lol: we're going to have to forfeit a loving playoff game.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 16, 2016

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you need insoles they'll help you be comfortable which will help you out. If you're comfortable now I doubt they'll do anything other than make you less comfortable.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, I didn't buy the dumb insoles and got asked to come along and practice with a checking team tonight while I was teaching some buddies how to skate.

I also had two guys vouch for me that i've never seen before, but have apparently noticed me skate.

Don't buy insoles kids. I didn't and look at me now! Beer League Checking!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don't wear socks y'all. They're feet condoms and no one likes wearing condoms

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's like wearing a raincoat to the shower amirite?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wear super feet yellows AND socks. Tuff n lite cut resistant ones because I saw a dude's ankle get cut open and decided that was a thing I did not want to happen to me.

Also the bottom eyelets are snug and a tug, ankle eyelets are winched tight. Elite waxed laces so they stay put.

Also I don't tape my shins and wear knit socks.

Any other pointless endorsements to list?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Played in a "pickup" game tonight that consisted of 3 skaters plus me in net. We said gently caress it and just did skating and shooting drills for an hour and a half. Two guys were players in the D League and they wanted to get some practice taking slappers. I think only about 3 shoots actually successfully hit the net.

gently caress me if a kid who played in juniors didn't show up though. Had a wrister with a release so quick I couldn't even react. Cool dude though, helped me out in doing some dead angle drills.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
I'm glad to see skaters :spergin: over equipment as much as goalies do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I wouldn't call my bare feet equipment, sperglord.

Is the goalie thread relegated to archives like the lazy bastards y'all are