Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No captain murphy from sealab singing put him in a scupper 4/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I had 0 interest in that game before, now I am intrigued.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

ThermoPhysical posted:

Recently picked up ACIV - Black Flag before finishing ACI and never having started II or even bought III.

Did I do a bad thing? I hate games where you HAVE to play the first 5+ before you play the one you just bought.

If it matters, it was $8 used from a local store.

I bought the fourth thing in a series, I hate so much that there would be three others that might have built to this point!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ACIV's pirating is great but it's only one of the only Creed games to actually take some risks with its plot, in that the main character isn't a well-intentioned antihero or a dashing rogue but a petty, bitter crook who winds up loathed by his allies, his enemies, and eventually himself for pursuing the game's MacGuffin far past the point of sanity or reason.

The nightmare sequence near the end where he's screamed at by the visions of his wife and Mary over the senselessness of his mission as the island looms bigger and bigger on the horizon really stuck with me, in particular.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
As I figured, The Tomorrow Children comes in a pay2start early pack ($30) and then F2P "in the coming months" http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/08/16/the-tomorrow-children-arrives-september-6-on-ps4/

Game's a curiosity but after the initial impressions were over I spent my time trying to figure out the value of the experience. I'd rather explore in NMS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

ACIV's pirating is great but it's only one of the only Creed games to actually take some risks with its plot, in that the main character isn't a well-intentioned antihero or a dashing rogue but a petty, bitter crook who winds up loathed by his allies, his enemies, and eventually himself for pursuing the game's MacGuffin far past the point of sanity or reason.

The nightmare sequence near the end where he's screamed at by the visions of his wife and Mary over the senselessness of his mission as the island looms bigger and bigger on the horizon really stuck with me, in particular.

AC4's plot is a depressing tragedy about a man trying desperately to escape the plot of AC4.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

aww yeah beta email

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If you're new to AC4, my recommendation since I played it recently is to play the main story missions only far enough to unlock the diving bell, then avoid them as much as possible and just pirate around. The main missions almost always boil down to boring-rear end eavesdropping or pickpocket missions. Just tool around in your boat loving up ships, forts, and whales until it too becomes boring. AC4 is definitely worth playing in that respect.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

If you're new to AC4, my recommendation since I played it recently is to play the main story missions only far enough to unlock the diving bell, then avoid them as much as possible and just pirate around. The main missions almost always boil down to boring-rear end eavesdropping or pickpocket missions. Just tool around in your boat loving up ships, forts, and whales until it too becomes boring. AC4 is definitely worth playing in that respect.

Don't forget the stealth boating bullshit too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dewgy posted:

They are also absolutely fantastic and will be stuck in your head for years.
now we are ready to sail for the Horn

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Black Flag is at its best when the player's and the main character's intentions align; actively ignoring anything to do with assassins and templars.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

My Lovely Horse posted:

now we are ready to sail for the Horn

Cause we're booound for the Riiiiiio Graaaaaande

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Got my beta e-mail. Everything is going into folders, gently caress yeah.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Thanks! Black Flag is now in my list to get. They could have made a game based just around that and I would have been happier than a pig munching on some hazelnuts.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Was just cause 3 patched to be playable yet?

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
Me: "I'm here to pick up my pre-order for Valentino Rossi on PS4."
Gamestop Employee: "Oh, so you were the one who pre-ordered it."
Me: "Yea, I'm sure I'm the single individual who is excited for the new MotoGP."
Employee: "Eeehhh, we had another guy in here who bought it and seemed pretty excited for it."

Mind you, this is in downtown Boston at a really busy Game Stop.

Looking forward to getting home and connecting to the one server hosting a few thousand people who will be racing internet motorcycles. (And single digits who will be racing cars.)

liquorlanche fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 16, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wow, other than the folders I actually kinda hate this update. The new what's new and game pages are way less readable

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Was just cause 3 patched to be playable yet?

Still has the awful frame rates whenever you're having fun, i'm afraid

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

barren_sky posted:

Still has the awful frame rates whenever you're having fun, i'm afraid

Well poo poo. Waiting for it to not suck. Oh well.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Soooo... Grow Up (the sequel to cute/fun game Grow Home) physically CTD's every time you start it. I even redownloaded it.

Whoops!

[edit] AHAHA, another Ubisoft game that you have to disconnect from the internet to play. #UbiSoftFriendsListBug2016

Feenix fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 16, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

don't pay for ubisoft games unless they got rayman in there

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Real hurthling! posted:

Grow Home was dope. On PC. The performance on PS4 was not so great. I hear this is better. I will let you know. I disconnected from the internet and now I can play...

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Feenix posted:

Grow Home was dope. On PC. The performance on PS4 was not so great. I hear this is better. I will let you know. I disconnected from the internet and now I can play...

I really liked the first one. Will be interested to hear if they made climbing a bit less frustrating.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

barren_sky posted:

I really liked the first one. Will be interested to hear if they made climbing a bit less frustrating.

God I hope not. (and it doesn't seem like it?) Depends what you mean by frustrating. It's the same gimmick as before, which I rather liked.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feenix posted:

[edit] AHAHA, another Ubisoft game that you have to disconnect from the internet to play. #UbiSoftFriendsListBug2016

Ubisoft 🙄 :argh:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Real hurthling! posted:

That is a weird way of spelling Rainbow Six: Siege.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

El Jebus posted:

That is a weird way of spelling Rainbow Six: Siege.

rayman is in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNO2DHkUQd4

no wrists in sight

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I finished Bound and I do not think that game is very good. It feels like there's a fundamental disconnect between mechanics and theme in that it's supposed to be a game about the power of dance, but the actual act of dancing feels restrictive and joyless, only slowing you down. I love Journey and Abzu, but they both understood that a game also needs to feel good to play.

Very beautiful game, but otherwise completely empty and dull. Also feels weirdly unpolished in general.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Oxxidation posted:

The post Ezio/Colonial games (III, Black Flag, and Rogue) are also all very much about how the line between the Templars and Assassins isn't a black and white good vs evil thing, it's super dope as a thematic thing linking them

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

MrLonghair posted:

As I figured, The Tomorrow Children comes in a pay2start early pack ($30) and then F2P "in the coming months" http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/08/16/the-tomorrow-children-arrives-september-6-on-ps4/

Game's a curiosity but after the initial impressions were over I spent my time trying to figure out the value of the experience. I'd rather explore in NMS.

"This high-end Black Market paid item will take you to new heights, allowing you to reach otherwise inaccessible areas on tops of “islands” to mine resources and find hidden items."

mmm exactly what i love in my f2p games. buying gameplay advantages.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tomorrow children beta was really boring. end of a 2 hour nms sesson levels of boring from the very beginning.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i watched a stream for about 10 minutes and it looked terrible

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tomorrow Children looks like Sony trying to muscle in on the "depressing" game genre ("Papers, Please", "Cart Life")

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its another indie studio with a pitch that was probably based entirely on its art style

Awesome! posted:

i watched a stream for about 10 minutes and it looked terrible

you have to stand and wait in line to use buildings. like wait for a dude to spend 5 minutes in a menu and don't move or you lose your place.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 16, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I liked it but I also just really like the weird atmosphere of it all. It is a game that really requires people to work together for the greater good though so I can't imagine it working well with a F2P population

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Real hurthling! posted:

you have to stand and wait in line to use buildings. like wait for a dude to spend 5 minutes in a menu and don't move or you lose your place.

And most of the time the thing you were waiting in line to DO was one of those shifting square number puzzles.

gently caress. That.

The moment I saw that I gave up on the beta. Which is a shame because there are trappings of an interesting game in there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

I remember when this happened by accident to The Division except there it was a hilarious oversight that they got rid of as soon as possible because it made their game a laughingstock.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Y_kYCKImc

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I bought Dishonored when it was on sale and am finally getting around to playing it. This is a fun game. So far the only thing that's weird to me is the mechanic with rats and how they eat unconscious bodies.

Is it an original IP? It feels like it's based off of something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8P2CZg3sJQ

• Locked thread