Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I have done it. I have finally finished a game of CK2 of the first time ever. I... I don't know what to do with myself now. It's all I've played for the last 3 days. What comes next? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

ShootaBoy posted:

I have done it. I have finally finished a game of CK2 of the first time ever. I... I don't know what to do with myself now. It's all I've played for the last 3 days. What comes next? :ohdear:

Export the save into EU4, and play that. :getin:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Swedish Horror posted:

Export the save into EU4, and play that. :getin:

Yeah no. EU is weird and frightening.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

ShootaBoy posted:

Yeah no. EU is weird and frightening.

Coming from CK2 as my first Paradox game, I actually found it easier to pick up and get into. The lack of weird succession laws/inheritance situations and a more direct casus belli system certainly makes it more straightforward IMO.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I put 53 hours into EU3 and just could not get into it. Probably because it lacks the weird succession laws, it's just not as fun if you're not juggling 30 vassals that all want you dead.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

CK2 was my first Paradox game and I found EU4 confusing at first but once I got the hang of it I loved it. I prefer it to CK2 now, it just feels more streamlined and less buggy and clunky. There are a lot fewer meaningless events and I don't have to choose educations for a million random loving children all the time.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 16, 2016

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

ShootaBoy posted:

You start a new game and do it all again.
Welcome to the Sect :kheldragar:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You finished a game in 3 days? I'm jealous of your computer. 300 years in and it takes me four hours to play a decade.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Volkerball posted:

You finished a game in 3 days? I'm jealous of your computer. 300 years in and it takes me four hours to play a decade.

The game is only 700 years long. So I guess it would only take you another 16 hours to finish it then. If you of course start from 769

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Groogy posted:

The game is only 700 years long. So I guess it would only take you another 16 hours to finish it then. If you of course start from 769

4 x 40 = 16

No wonder Paradox games are a little weird with the numbers sometimes.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Oh, I blame my English skills, I confused Century and Decade together.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Another DD:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-19-the-end-is-nigh.963090/

We should have a new thread tile for RD, the Civ6 thread is too close. Shame ME3 already has Blue oyster Cult was wrong :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Darkrenown posted:

Another DD:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-19-the-end-is-nigh.963090/

We should have a new thread tile for RD, the Civ6 thread is too close. Shame ME3 already has Blue oyster Cult was wrong :(

We had that thread title first!

Any suggestions for a new title?

Increasing the chance for reincarnation is a great idea. I've played at least 400 years in India (as a Buddhist) but have never seen it :(

Separating settling and pillaging is something that's long overdue.

What does it mean that Berbers are designed as seafarers? Will they be able to travel rivers?

Edit: You confirmed it in the thread, seafaring= riversailing. That's seriously great, I will probably play the Umayyads again with the new DLC, and I will make sure to culture change to Berber then.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 16, 2016

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

ShootaBoy posted:

I put 53 hours into EU3 and just could not get into it. Probably because it lacks the weird succession laws, it's just not as fun if you're not juggling 30 vassals that all want you dead.

I've tried my hand at EU4 several times now and just can't get into it like CK2 or Stellaris. It's just too much data put infront of you and it feels inhuman to me. With CK2 the AI has a portrait and that helps me as a player feel like I'm in a more living world.

I'm not taking away from EU4, I can objectively say it's a good game that does nation building well. It's more that it's not a game I can connect with due to my personal interests.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Torrannor posted:

We had that thread title first!

Any suggestions for a new title?

I know, but I also want my first CK DLC to get a thread title. That's how I'll know I've made it into the big leagues.

"Games > Crusader Kings II: Get sick and die"?
"Games > Crusader Kings II: Don't Fear the Reaper"?
"Games > Crusader Kings II: Things just got spooky"?

Or even a non-terrible title, I don't mind!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Games > Crusader Kings II: Spooky Scary Skeletons
Games > Crusader Kings II: Now With Actual Zombies
Games > Crusader Kings II: A Plague On Both Your Houses

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Crusader Kings II: Black Plagues Matter

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crusader Kings II: A Dead Good Game

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Gordito posted:

I've tried my hand at EU4 several times now and just can't get into it like CK2 or Stellaris. It's just too much data put infront of you and it feels inhuman to me. With CK2 the AI has a portrait and that helps me as a player feel like I'm in a more living world.

I'm not taking away from EU4, I can objectively say it's a good game that does nation building well. It's more that it's not a game I can connect with due to my personal interests.

As much as I love CK2 and Stellaris the UI in EU4 looks beautiful. From the videos I've watched at least. EU4 and HoI4 are the only current Paradox games I haven't played but really itching to. EU4 seems like it takes from CK2 and Vic2 a bit. Plus the whole "let's discover the rest of this map" really catches my interest. On the opposite end of the spectrum Vic2 needs a sequel. Don't get me wrong the game is amazing. But getting into it almost requires it's own college course. Plus all I ever want to do is play as Texas. As far as Hearts goes, I've never been much of a war game type guy but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Four Score posted:

Crusader Kings II: Black Deaths Matter

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Do iiiiiiit.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for taking it where even I, a timid field goon, was not willing to go

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Crusader Kings II: Det sjunde inseglet

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

:boom:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Another DD:

There's some great stuff in here, some of this stuff I've been wanting for year!

Oh and I saw the changelog stated that women would be able to get the viking traits as well, will they get "Sea Queen" rather than "Sea King" (I think it was called sea king)?

Now for my own garbage attempts at making a new thread title:

Crusader Kings II: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Have Pneumonia.

Crusader Kings II: Night Fever, Camp Fever. We know how to do it.

Crusader Kings II: My Liege, You Have Cancer.

Crusader Kings II: Bringing Syphilisation to the Old World.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 16, 2016

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

As much as I love CK2 and Stellaris the UI in EU4 looks beautiful. From the videos I've watched at least. EU4 and HoI4 are the only current Paradox games I haven't played but really itching to. EU4 seems like it takes from CK2 and Vic2 a bit. Plus the whole "let's discover the rest of this map" really catches my interest. On the opposite end of the spectrum Vic2 needs a sequel. Don't get me wrong the game is amazing. But getting into it almost requires it's own college course. Plus all I ever want to do is play as Texas. As far as Hearts goes, I've never been much of a war game type guy but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Oh I agree it's a gorgeous looking game and captures that period of time's theme magnificently, but there's so many components to the game through all the menus that I get overwhelmed by it ontop of feeling detached from it. Like when I play CK2 I see it less as an AI and more of series of characters with traits that feel more personal. I see greedy vassals and tyranical emperors when I play. Vice versa, when I'm playing EU4, it just feels like an impersonal computer opponent challenging me because "reasons".

Probably not the best articulation of what I'm getting at, but my main point is I enjoy the mechanics of CK2 and can still appreciate the craftsmanship in EU4, even if it's not my cup of tea.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Can't say I'm too comfortable with Black Deaths Matter

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

:vince:

ThaumPenguin posted:

Oh and I saw the changelog stated that women would be able to get the viking traits as well, will they get "Sea Queen" rather than "Sea King" (I think it was called sea king)?

Lady Vikings will also be known as Sea-Kings. Equality! (Also our trait names don't support calling genders automatically)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ThaumPenguin posted:

Crusader Kings II: Night Fever, Camp Fever. We know how to do it.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Gordito posted:

Oh I agree it's a gorgeous looking game and captures that period of time's theme magnificently, but there's so many components to the game through all the menus that I get overwhelmed by it ontop of feeling detached from it. Like when I play CK2 I see it less as an AI and more of series of characters with traits that feel more personal. I see greedy vassals and tyranical emperors when I play. Vice versa, when I'm playing EU4, it just feels like an impersonal computer opponent challenging me because "reasons".

Probably not the best articulation of what I'm getting at, but my main point is I enjoy the mechanics of CK2 and can still appreciate the craftsmanship in EU4, even if it's not my cup of tea.

I completely understand what you are saying. And I agree. It does feel more personal because it is more personal due to the fact that you can point at your screen and say this is me, this is my beard, this is my crest, this is my land. These are my advisors and this is my court. This is my wife, my son's and my daughters. This son here is an rear end in a top hat and he will inherit the throne and everyone is going to hate him for quite some time. My daughter here helped form an alliance for me. Now watch as I lead my army at the age of 72 alongside my grandson so I can claim this title before I kick the bucket. The way Paradox blended RPG elements into a grand strategy is genius. CK2 is highly addictive and still the most played Paradox game I have in my library.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Volkerball posted:

Oh god no, I started that game weeks/months ago. No it took me 3 days of almost nonstop playing at speed 5 to get through the last 100~ years.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I figure something about Cats and Cornucopias and completely ignoring the diseases would be funny :v:

Or, alternatively, Crusader Kings 2: Cats, Cornucopias, and Cholera

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I hope there's an event where a Genius character devises germ theory and adds an effect that reduces disease spread dramatically. The downside is that the character is basically guaranteed to be killed by a mob for being a sorcerer within a few years.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal
So finally saw some of the YouTube videos for the upcoming patch; I got a little wet when I saw the Game Rules feature they added.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Do they usually put the older CK2 stuff on sale whenever they release a new DLC? I kind of want to pick up Conclave but not sure I want to pay the current price tag for what it appears to add.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Leinadi posted:

Do they usually put the older CK2 stuff on sale whenever they release a new DLC? I kind of want to pick up Conclave but not sure I want to pay the current price tag for what it appears to add.

Yeah, definitely wait 10 days or so.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hell yes, barbary pirates so overdue and humiliate now actually sorta worth it!

also hell yes, invasion refunds!!

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Heellll yeaaa

Darth Windu posted:

Can't say I'm too comfortable with Black Deaths Matter
What with it making fun of a serious issue in the US? Yeah, I can get that.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What with it making fun of a serious issue in the US? Yeah, I can get that.

I can respect that point of view, but I also see it as a current events-relevant, clever turn of phrase that doesn't make fun of the issue so much as exploit it's memetic value (not to say that isn't problematic in itself, but the purpose certainly isn't to trivialize BLM). I am all for choosing a less objectionable title if it so pleases goon sirs

• Locked thread