Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I couldnt make out if she was coming out of a portal or a coccoon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

I couldnt make out if she was coming out of a portal or a coccoon though.

Dripping black abyss portal probably

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BBQ Dave posted:

Same. Isn't it odd that the only way to save a human from a bug is to feed humanity to a human/bug hybrid? :psyduck:

By feeding her humanity you "heal" her so it makes sense (kind of) and you can listen to her dialoge if you get the witch's ring.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

BBQ Dave posted:

Same. Isn't it odd that the only way to save a human from a bug is to feed humanity to a human/bug hybrid? :psyduck:

How dare you insult my waifu Dave!!

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Gologle posted:

How dare you insult my waifu Dave!!

Hey now odd isn't necessarily bad! Like I said I always save Solaire, I loves my fair lady. She makes it so I don't have to go through my least favorite part of the game, and the fire sage. Hate that guy.

Finding her body in 3 was a bummer. Could this be a Princess? (curl up gesture).

Good point Guil.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Is Rinfinger Leonhard's title a typo? Since he is one of Rosario's Fingers, I always saw it in my head as Ringfinger Leonhard, implying he was a pretty high rank in the covenant or something.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Carl Seitan posted:

Is Rinfinger Leonhard's title a typo? Since he is one of Rosario's Fingers, I always saw it in my head as Ringfinger Leonhard, implying he was a pretty high rank in the covenant or something.

It is Ringfinger.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
How in the world am I supposed to dodge the Old Demon King's move where he stabs his hammer in the ground? Seemingly comes out of nowhere and kills me instantly

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Not an Owl posted:

How in the world am I supposed to dodge the Old Demon King's move where he stabs his hammer in the ground? Seemingly comes out of nowhere and kills me instantly

Hammer into ground describes a lot of his moves and everything he does has a generous wind up, so you'll need to be more specific about what's going on.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Zoom out the camera when you fight large bosses.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
He stabs the ground with the tip of his hammer, directly downwards.

The biggest problem is that I'm not sure when he's open? I dodge into all of his attacks, and sometimes that lets me score a hit, but other times he gets me before I can even roll out of there.

I don't even know when to attack in his 2nd phase

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I really struggled with ODK, and even when sunbroing with 2 others a lot of runs ended in failure. Try ranged - he does quite a few AOEs so that can keep you a bit safer.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Going back briefly to Yhorm and Sieg, first time I fought Yhorm Sieg died more or less immediately, as well as the other times I fought him. I also never figured out Storm Ruler, since I was a sorceror and just blasted Yhorm in the face with magic till he fell over and I could stab his head.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The first time I fought Yhorm I had screwed up Siegward's plotline and couldn't figure out how to use the Storm Ruler, so I just hit him a lot of times until he died. It was boring but not particularly hard.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I will confess that I've never beat ODK any other way than running away and plinking with arrows.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I couldn't think of what odk could stand for and had to look it up

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

I couldn't think of what odk could stand for and had to look it up

Look at this casual.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Not an Owl posted:

He stabs the ground with the tip of his hammer, directly downwards.

The biggest problem is that I'm not sure when he's open? I dodge into all of his attacks, and sometimes that lets me score a hit, but other times he gets me before I can even roll out of there.

I don't even know when to attack in his 2nd phase

There's an attack where he makes a circle of fire expanding out from him.
Roll through the fire with good timing.

There's and attack where he kneels and charges up and then splodes.
Run the gently caress away. It has a limited range and you can get away from it.

You can summon an npc to distract him with ineffectual attacks. (It's a pyromancer shooting fire at the daddy of all fire demons.) But works as a distraction so you can keep your distance.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Bombadilillo posted:

You can summon an npc to distract him with ineffectual attacks. (It's a pyromancer shooting fire at the daddy of all fire demons.) But works as a distraction so you can keep your distance.

He'll also poison the ODK which can really help whittle down his health if your struggling to stay on him.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

You can also summon Morne. Bring a greathammer and have a hammertime.

vvv True. Which makes my hammer joke even worse if you can believe it.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 16, 2016

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

pun pundit posted:

You can also summon Morne. Bring a greathammer and have a hammertime.

Pretty certain your thinking Tsorig. Eygon (and I'm glad I'm not the only one who just calls him Morne, I had to look up his actual name) is summonable for Crystal Sage and Dragonslayer Armour IIRC.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey this is a Dark Souls 2 SOTFS question. Sorry I didn't find the DS2 thread... maybe it went away?

I played up until about The Duke's Dear Freja on PC. Then stopped playing. Recently obtained it on PS4 and started over, naturally. I am at about the same spot...

I know there's talk of all the DLC for DS2 being the high point of the game.

1) How much farther until end-game for me, more or less? I think I have 2 primal souls. (SInner and Freja)
2) Is the DLC "at the end" or intermixed?
3) if you were to claim that DS2 base game content was an X (number 1-10) scale of quality, what would the number Y before to the quality of the DLC? (ie: Base DS2 is a 6/10, but the DLC is a 9, easy!)

Thanks. SOrry for the dumb questions, maybe? Just trying to muster the motivation. I'm having fun, just getting pulled in different directions for my attention.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Dark Souls 2 thread.

It's the same thread for Scholar and vanilla so if you were searching for SOTFS it wouldn't have turned up. :shobon:

To your questions:
1) DS2 is a loving long game, definitely the longest of all the Soulsborne games, so you have a little ways to go. Getting four Giant Souls puts you at maybe 60% through the main game. So right now you're a bit over a third of the way through.

2) The DLC isn't at the end; they're intermixed. Two of the portals are positioned after the four big bosses (the two you haven't killed, incidentally), and the third is along the way to the zone you get to after getting all four Giant Souls. But you need to find keys, and once you get to the zone I mentioned you have access to the last key too.

3) Most of DS2 is backloaded, for me; I think the good zones are nearer the end of the game (i.e. most of the stuff after the four Giant Souls). I'd say the first half is maybe 7/10, then the back half is 8/10 and the DLC is variously 9 or 10/10 easy peasy.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
Thanks all, ODK eventually went down when I learned when to lock on and when not to.

It's not a big deal since I've already cleared out Smouldering Lake, I still have no idea how to handle the ninja skeletons.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Not an Owl posted:

Thanks all, ODK eventually went down when I learned when to lock on and when not to.

It's not a big deal since I've already cleared out Smouldering Lake, I still have no idea how to handle the ninja skeletons.

Executioner's Greatsword, found early on in Cathedral of The Deep - every hit shatters skeletons so you can wail on them as they put themselves back together. It was so satisfying using that as the skelebros on the way to Wolnir were making me look foolish for quite a while.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Turncoat Mommy posted:

Solaire isn't the firstborn but he does show up in DS3 as the worm in smouldering lake

:stare: You just ruined dark souls for me.

Nah not really but it makes sense. Bug hat took him over and eventually became a lightning worm. Dude just wanted to stare at the sun and he ended up underground. For thousands of years. As a worm. Without eyes.

Sigh ... not even a boss, just a miniboss that can be killed by the environment. Depressing if true.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
DS3 sucks: vitality and poise are broken, most spell casting builds are useless, no reason to manage armor apart from barbie dress-up mini game, tries to be bb in gameplay but ends up in a weird spot, lovely "team A" console port coding/optimization similar to ds1, etc. There, I said it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

RyokoTK posted:

Dark Souls 2 thread.

It's the same thread for Scholar and vanilla so if you were searching for SOTFS it wouldn't have turned up. :shobon:

To your questions:
1) DS2 is a loving long game, definitely the longest of all the Soulsborne games, so you have a little ways to go. Getting four Giant Souls puts you at maybe 60% through the main game. So right now you're a bit over a third of the way through.

2) The DLC isn't at the end; they're intermixed. Two of the portals are positioned after the four big bosses (the two you haven't killed, incidentally), and the third is along the way to the zone you get to after getting all four Giant Souls. But you need to find keys, and once you get to the zone I mentioned you have access to the last key too.

3) Most of DS2 is backloaded, for me; I think the good zones are nearer the end of the game (i.e. most of the stuff after the four Giant Souls). I'd say the first half is maybe 7/10, then the back half is 8/10 and the DLC is variously 9 or 10/10 easy peasy.

Thanks for the motivation! :)

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Otakufag posted:

DS3 sucks: vitality and poise are broken, most spell casting builds are useless, no reason to manage armor apart from barbie dress-up mini game, tries to be bb in gameplay but ends up in a weird spot, lovely "team A" console port coding/optimization similar to ds1, etc. There, I said it.

Woa woa woah careful with all those unpopular opinions!

It aint perfect. None of the games were

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

haha ok Comic Book Guy.

Rides Naked posted:

I really enjoy 3 and can't bring myself to play through 2. Am I broken?

Can't bring yourself to start, or can't bring yourself to finish now that you have started? I had a lot of trouble getting into Dark Souls 2. I played 1 and 3 and then picked up SotFS and had real trouble getting into it. I dunno if it's just because it's the first time I've run a DS game at a solid 60FPS, but the movement and combat felt a lot different and I found the opening sections really hard in a frustrating-not-fun way. I've just gotten back into it and I'm about half-way through and enjoying it a lot more now. It's got some really fun mechanics and interesting areas, and I love the wide, sprawling world structure (not nearly as much as the interlocking world design of DS1, but a lot more than the slightly branched straight line of 3). You start off a lot weaker than you do in the other games and I think it's a little too tough at the beginning, but it gets a lot better once you're about a third of the way in. My only real complaint is about all these piss-easy bossfights. I got brickwalled for ages by the Pursuer and Ruin Sentinels and since then I've beaten most of the bosses in a single fight.

Faux Mulder fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 16, 2016

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
DS2 has the weakest start of the soulsborne games IMO. Forest of the Fallen Giants is a good area, but your starting gear is weak and you need some ADP before it stops feeling so sluggish. It also features some pretty difficult encounters compared to the other games. After you open up the game some more it becomes a lot better! Especially in SOTFS, you are even less gated and basically only souls block your way (you can buy a branch from the merchant to open the forest area, pay miracle lady to open the way to huntsmans copse, and you can use the silvercat ring to go into the gutter).

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Garrand posted:

He'll also poison the ODK which can really help whittle down his health if your struggling to stay on him.

She, Great swamp cuculus also unlocks an outfit if she survives the demon king fight, go to where you freed the pyromancer trainer (The cage in the village no the dungeon girl) and you get her gear. In that very same area is the ring of fire protection and if you nom a fire resist consumable it makes the bosses fire attacks much more manageable.

Or just cheese it with poison arrows and 15 minutes of running around.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Have some top quality content for the thread,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlI-6nTUleY

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Samopsa posted:

DS2 has the weakest start of the soulsborne games IMO. Forest of the Fallen Giants is a good area, but your starting gear is weak and you need some ADP before it stops feeling so sluggish.

Yeah, ADP is a big part of it. Having to level up your roll is probably my least favourite change between the two games and until I realised that iframes were tied to a stat now I thought the game was just kinda lovely with broken roll timing. And you have to plough so many points into it to get it back up to DS1 level.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Otakufag posted:

Counterpoint. Pyromancy owns bones. 10/10 would ancient chaos orb again.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah uh. Pointless stats, broke rear end schools of magic, armor being a dress up game, and lovely ports are pretty much series staples at this point.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

poise is working as intended and the reason for the change will be explored in DLC lore

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

skasion posted:

Yeah uh. Pointless stats, broke rear end schools of magic, armor being a dress up game, and lovely ports are pretty much series staples at this point.

Yeah, although I'd say that each game has it's ups and downs. For example Resistance was pretty loving useless but at least it wasn't necessary like ADP.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

skasion posted:

The only one of those true for DS2 is broken magic, and that's due to balance overcorrection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
DS2 was absolutely a lovely port, do you really need a reminder of durability bug that persisted through god knows how many patches, "it's working as it should"s and even the remaster until they finally fixed it in a patch for SotFS? And maybe it doesn't have pointless stats (but then, neither does DS3) but adaptability sure as hell counts as lovely stats.

I mean yeah, years later, after all the DLC and a complete remake DS2 is really good (although they never fixed how godawful the first half of the game looks or miracles being garbage) but you can't really compare it to pre-DLC, no-remaster DS3.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 16, 2016