Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Momomo posted:

I think you have that backwards. Why have all that stuff when you can just blow it up?

Stealth, mainly.

edit: Holy poo poo I just saw that GMDX has rubber bullets for the shotgun and possibly other guns. :getin:

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Enemies can't be alerted if they're already blown up. :clint:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There's an old proverb, sneak past the guard and he remains unalerted for the moment. Blow his rear end up with GEP Gun, and he remains unalerted forever.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

The GEP gun is a silent weapon. The rocket explosion is the loud part that everyone investigates.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
And if you use GMDX they will actually investigate the sound. Are there people here not playing GMDX? It's loving incredible. It actually makes the original game look sloppy in a lot of ways. I re-installed Deus Ex just to play it and I am blown away by how good it is. It makes Revision look like a pile of poo poo. It actually does change up the levels but instead of rebuilding new ones from scratch for no reason, it expands upon the existing levels. Its feels like some dude played through Deus Ex 10 times back to back while taking detailed notes about every single thing that was even slightly annoying or that had even the smallest hint of being able to be better, and then he just did it. Every single one of these videos is amazing. If you are strong enough to watch those videos and not immediately re-install Deus Ex, you are a stronger man than I. Part 6: Level Design and Graphics will probably be enough.

Minor dumb things I noticed that GMDX fixed, just to give you an idea of the direction of the mod:

The front entrance of the Statue on Liberty Island has a wood panel above it with a hole in it. Previously that hole doesn't really do... well anything. There's no reason to ever use that hole. Now there's a ladder that goes up there, so theres an alternate entrance if for some reason you didn't want to find a key or take a back way in. So it adds paths for different playstyles.

The closet at UNATCO with the little power-box vent thing in it? Right outside Manderly's office. In vanilla you had to use a lockpick to open that grate and there was literally nothing in there. At no point did that grate do anything. Now there's a multitool and a biocell in there.

More non-lethal ammo :swoon: EMP bullets for the assault rifle, rubber bullets for the shotgun, tazer darts for the crossbow. I'll probably end up tossing the assault rifle but I'm pretty stoked to have new weapons as a nonlethal player.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 16, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

And if you use GMDX they will actually investigate the sound. Are there people here not playing GMDX? It's loving incredible. It actually makes the original game look sloppy in a lot of ways. I re-installed Deus Ex just to play it and I am blown away by how good it is. It makes Revision look like a pile of poo poo. It actually does change up the levels but instead of rebuilding new ones from scratch for no reason, it expands upon the existing levels. Its feels like some dude played through Deus Ex 10 times back to back while taking detailed notes about every single thing that was even slightly annoying or that had even the smallest hint of being able to be better, and then he just did it. Every single one of these videos is amazing. If you are strong enough to watch those videos and not immediately re-install Deus Ex, you are a stronger man than I. Part 6: Level Design and Graphics will probably be enough.

You can tell whether or not somebody is a true DX fan by their preference between Revision or GMDX.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm looking at the vids now and while it looks like a lot of cool stuff, it looks like they also made the menu not pause and added in a stamina system? I don't really like that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The menu not pausing is a totally optional thing. The stamina system is not optional but it is very unobtrusive... its basically there to give you at least some incentive to take the Athletics skill. I put one skill level in it and I can run continuously for I would guess 2-3 minutes? And thats if you never, ever stop, which is unrealistic for an actual gameplay scenario. It also doesn't regen while stealthing unless you have the associated perk, which I guess is the other thing. I guess now that I think about it, it doesn't really add much. I don't think it would hinder the average player unless you put zero points into it.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Momomo posted:

it looks like they also made the menu not pause
Does the pause key still pause?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I practically never noticed the stamina bar and I just finished playing that mod. It only really did anything when swimming.

I also never really investigated the weapons that much because I took care of almost every enemy in the game with one swing on the back of the head from the baton. I just used the spydrone to take care of robots. Even men in black went down in one swing, it was way easier than trying to have a gun battle.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

gary oldmans diary posted:

Does the pause key still pause?

Yes, but I would just like to re-emphasize that you can toggle the inventory not pausing the game via the menu at any time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I might give it a try, I guess. I played a bit of Revision and I couldn't really get into it since it felt like they added in way too much (and to be honest it was kind of an uncanny valley with the updated graphics, and I felt like it was less charming to look at). Really, I had the most fun with vanilla Deus Ex, I've never finished a single playthrough with Biomod or Shifter installed.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

The closet at UNATCO with the little power-box vent thing in it? Right outside Manderly's office. In vanilla you had to use a lockpick to open that grate and there was literally nothing in there. At no point did that grate do anything. Now there's a multitool and a biocell in there.

I opened this at one point and there was an item inside (in vanilla), though I forget what it was. I think it just depends on what UNATCO trip you are currently on.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Are there people here not playing GMDX? It's loving incredible.

I play Deus Ex vanilla. GMDX probably is pretty cool but Deus Ex is perfect and any attempt to change it will result in an inferior product. :pray:

Those items were always there, at least on the first trip.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gobblecoque posted:

Those items were always there, at least on the first trip.

Memory is playing tricks on me

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I'm playing through Invisible War for the first time right now and it's really not bad. I actually like it (I just arrived in Cairo so I'm not very far in I think but it's enough for a first impression). Shooting stuff feels much, much better and I don't really mind the unified ammo that much, it's better than cluttering up your inventory with 10 different ammo types (looking at you here HR). The side quests are fun and short but a bit too easy to find / it's too easy to do them by accident.

It's nowhere close to DX or HR in quality but all the hate on the internet had me expect a much, much worse game. Also: wtf is up with all these coffee shop missions?

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Popelmon posted:

It's nowhere close to DX or HR in quality but all the hate on the internet had me expect a much, much worse game. Also: wtf is up with all these coffee shop missions?

As you say, it suffers a lot by comparison.

The coffee shops (besides being mildly-clever Starbucks references) are there to illustrate a lower-stakes example of the societal schisms/polarization. I mostly ignored them, honestly, but YMMV.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Probably 15% of my playtime in IW is load times and that alone is enough for me to not ever revisit it

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
IW wasn't bad but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the first Deus Ex which is why it got hate.

If you're going to make a sequel instead of a new IP, it won't be judged in a vacuum and that's just part of the deal.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I feel like my experience with IW is opposite of most people's. I originally played it on the Xbox (without having played Deus Ex before) and I remember enjoying it. About a week, however, ago I checked it out on PC again after not playing it for over a decade and holy poo poo it's so much worse than I remember it being. Everything is so janky and awkward and ugly (I honestly think Deus Ex aged much better than IW both in visuals and gameplay), I really don't dig the super futuristic aesthetic (the multitool is literally a magic wand lmao) and haha it literally sends you to the desktop whenever it loads which is all the time because areas are loving tiny. Also the very obvious voice of Walton Simons on a different character in the opening cutscene.

IW might not be the worst game ever, but it is really that bad.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Yeah what was up with using Walton Simons voice again? A deliberate choice or "poo poo poo poo we need a voice actor, call that one guy again". I felt robed that he wasn't simons, real case of chekov's gun or something.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
He was voiced by Tom Hall, the co-founder of Ion Storm (along with John Romero, both of id-fame), and they left after releasing Anachronox in 2001. His appearance in DX:IW is a bit of a cameo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The coffee shop chain missions were one of the few things in IW I kind of really liked.

The twist that they were both owned by the same parent company was pretty funny.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
They also mirror the main story as the WTO and the Order are also in cahoots

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
IW's coffee shop missions feel even more dated than most of the stuff in the original DX, joking about coffee shops opening up across from one another is just so specific to the early 00s.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I've been replaying DX with revision + biomod + shifter, going for a nonlethal + no guns run, and just got up to Hong Kong. It's been a fairly long time since I played the original so I actually didn't even notice some of the updated graphics, but I really appreciated the expansions they made to some of the levels. There's a couple of new hidden areas and alternative paths they added and I feel like they fit in well with the rest of the level design. NSF headquarters in particular was a lot more fun now on the escape, with a sewers section and additional buildings to the side to run through. Everything still feels familiar, to the point where I sometimes I can't tell what was new - I probably missed a bunch of these changes on the previous levels.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I hate to sound like a broken record but GMDX changes the levels and expands on them in much better ways. For instance the sewer where you go to find Ford Shick. It looks like a place that an actual human would use and traverse now. One thing Revision doesn't do is reward you properly for exploring. So many times I would poke around hard to reach places and find nothing. In GMDX there's stuff hidden everywhere. It's an absolute dream come true to be honest. I know that vanilla Deus Ex ain't nothin to gently caress with and Biomod is cool but honestly GMDX is just way better. Another instance, I'm currently trying to get into the warehouse with the power generator. I used some explosives to blow up some alarm wires and guys came to investigate the noise. :aaaaa: There's also like five new alternate paths to get in there. I mastered hacking pretty much immediately so I make any security system my bitch, but as I look at the level design I'm starting to see how it might be possible to progress without spending any skill points at all. There's so many clever alternate paths. And the best part is GMDX doesn't really gently caress with the core level design which I know sounds like a conflicting statement, but it has to be seen to be believed.

Also with Microforbial Muscle, I AM the GEP gun. The new physics are incredible.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 17, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

I hate to sound like a broken record but

I think everyone gets that you really like GMDX right now but it's not like Revision is utterly worthless. I tried it, found it worth playing once, probably won't run it again. :shrug:

also, honestly, I can't trust the opinions of someone who doesn't take the GEP Gun. Sorry. It's nothing personal (it is) but you're just never going to be right with that kind of attitude. :colbert:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Picking the GEP gun is so objectively the correct choice. I mean even if you couldn't get a crossbow or sniper rifle within 1 minute of starting the game, it would still be the right choice.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Alabaster White posted:

Picking the GEP gun is so objectively the correct choice. I mean even if you couldn't get a crossbow or sniper rifle within 1 minute of starting the game, it would still be the right choice.

Another thing GMDX does is hide a GEP gun in Hell's Kitchen.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Popelmon posted:

the unified ammo that much, it's better than cluttering up your inventory with 10 different ammo types (looking at you here HR).

It's amazing how the inventory in the series has gotten worse with each game. DX 1? Ammo is stored elsewhere, don't worry about it - just worry about how much you have.

DX 2? Unified ammo means you can fire your pistol 50 times or a rocket launcher once, then back to scrounging!

DX HR? Ammo now exists in your inventory, meaning there's even less incentive to use that rocket launcher as the weapon and a box of rockets will take up half your inventory! :haw:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's amazing how the inventory in the series has gotten worse with each game. DX 1? Ammo is stored elsewhere, don't worry about it - just worry about how much you have.

DX 2? Unified ammo means you can fire your pistol 50 times or a rocket launcher once, then back to scrounging!

DX HR? Ammo now exists in your inventory, meaning there's even less incentive to use that rocket launcher as the weapon and a box of rockets will take up half your inventory! :haw:

HR had a way bigger inventory if you invested in augs to unlock more space and you didn't need inventory spaces for your augmentations and upgrades, I actually liked its inventory system the most. Especially since the auto-sort and the the fact that you could rotate stuff meant you had to spend way less time babysitting it without becoming completely nonsensical like IW.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Human Revolution had RE4 inventory, and RE4 inventory is the best.

Meanwhile, Invisible War has universal ammo and one candy bar taking up the same space as a rocket launcher. IW's inventory is abysmal.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Maybe it's because I'm a hoarder in videogames but it still felt like not enough, even at max.

The giant energy jars didn't help.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The giant energy jars didn't help.

Oh goddam flashbacks

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Speaking of invisible war, does anyone have a screenshot or a video of the part where it's revealed that the maintenance man actually is switching the sodas on purpose?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Those of you complaining about Invisible War's ammo were playing the game wrong: Upgrade melee strength to max level and the entire world is your ammo. Crates, basketballs, pop cans, other people, rocks... :getin:

Also Gunther soda conspiracy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUMw-h83eQg

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Another thing GMDX does is hide a GEP gun in Hell's Kitchen.

That's trash. No one should use GMDX, now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

chiasaur11 posted:

Human Revolution had RE4 inventory, and RE4 inventory is the best.

Meanwhile, Invisible War has universal ammo and one candy bar taking up the same space as a rocket launcher. IW's inventory is abysmal.

RE4s inventory was quite good. My only complaint was having to go into it to switch weapons; I have the same quibble with Mega Man games, which I adore. I played RE4 the first time on a GameCube, as many probably did, and I wish that they had just let you bind weapons to the various prongs of the directional pad, since if memory serves it had no other function in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's trash. No one should use GMDX, now.

GEP gun still sucks though. I need that inventory space so I can collect my zyme. There's absolutely no way that I'm clearing out 8 inventory spaces for something that is the least interesting way to solve any of the games problems. Quite frankly peoples willingness to give up 8 inventory spaces makes me question their dedication. If I really need an explosive missle I can find an explosive crate and hurtle it at whatever I want with my inhuman strength.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 17, 2016