Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

BOOTY-ADE posted:

BuffaLord of the Token Rings
:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

BOOTY-ADE posted:

BuffaLord of the Token Rings

:thurman:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Us: "Your plugin keeps getting disabled by MS Word. Any ideas?"
Vendor: "Create a GPO that deletes the registry items every 90 mins and at login."
Us: "Umm..."

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
A competitor of ours just got hit with a data breach.

Execs are coming directly to my door asking me what I'm going to do about it.

Nothing, I guess. v:shobon:v

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They probably mean you should take a look and make sure your company isn't vulnerable to the same kind of breach.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Whee, no cell service and most of the Internet. No idea why I can still get to SA. Don't think it's DNS. Tracert for Google/Twitter/almost everything dies in 10.*

And every year or so they ask us why we don't want our poo poo in the cloud.

(I guess this isn't strictly helpdesk related, but I can't get to twitter, ok?)

edit: Oh hey, I can get to Slack.

odiv fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 16, 2016

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

They probably mean you should take a look and make sure your company isn't vulnerable to the same kind of breach, but don't mention any costs that would have to be incurred to mitigate a breach.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Lord Dudeguy posted:

A competitor of ours just got hit with a data breach.

Execs are coming directly to my door asking me what I'm going to do about it.

Nothing, I guess. v:shobon:v

You're going to get passed over for a promotion or downsized one day and you'll be wondering why they're such assholes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Guys, in times of need all companies' IT departments have to band together and help each other out with attack mitigation! It's the BOFH Code.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

One of the things I absolutely hate that's sorta related is people that don't take care of their computers and keep putting in requests for something new. In the 3+ years I've been at my job I've had 2 computers - started with an old Optiplex tower and upgraded to a Latitude laptop after the tower's warranty expired. Never had any issues with either one but there are several people in sales or account management who have literally been through at least 3 computers in the last 18 months. Most of these computers were either less than a year old with fresh Windows installs, or brand new machines with fresh installs, and each had plenty of resources (i5/i7, minimum 8GB RAM, and either a 500GB hybrid drive or 256GB SSD). It's always pissing and moaning about slowness too, then you check their machine and it's riddled with stupid garbage like Spotify and Pandora, or toolbars hijacking the browsers, or it's full because they decided to link their stupid loving 47GB Dropbox account with all their personal dog/family/baby/flailing retard pictures and videos. These same people go through smartphones like loving Kleenex too and either have to have the latest and greatest because of their own bullshit vanity/ego problems, or because they're clumsy morons who keep breaking poo poo despite us telling them repeatedly to buy an Otterbox or something similar.
Is my hatred and loathing for sales and account management showing yet?

this might be (cough) me.

From an email to my boss's boss from the IT department:

quote:

Xxxxx has given me a laptop used by divabot and the below damaged has been reported on closer inspection.

12/05/2010: User reported hard disk failure. S/N: xxxxxxxx & Asset xxxx
Left side of casing cracked by at the fan.
Power inlet is damaged.
Casing to the left in front of keyboard and the front left corner by the microphone is cracked. Toshiba logo has been removed to the right of the touch pad.
Top of the screen casing is cracked.
Screw missing from right hinge.
Docking port is pushed into the motherboard.
Casing under fan is depressed and cracked.
“Open Rights Group” label has been stuck on top of the laptop.
Hard disk has failed. Hard disk was only replaced in November 2009.

The laptop was purchased last year and I’m not sure how the damaged was sustained but it is a worst case in comparison to Xxxxx Xxxxx. A hard drive failure was reported initially, but from inspection the overall condition of the laptop is poor for a model of this age.

I fear I must admit the complaint about the ORG sticker on the end as a “NOT ONLY THAT BUT” that got me giggling.

I then switched to a personal netbook, which I trashed. Then a company Toshiba again. These kept breaking keys, and the quickest thing to do each time was transplant the HD to a new one. Then I switched to a Lenovo X230 ... which then kept having the problem where the loose power connector spams the BIOS with ACPI events and randomly shuts down. Went through another three of those. Now on an X240, which is so far robust against, ah, me, though this horrible trackpad might make me smash it to bits with a toffee hammer. At which point they will give me a Toughbook with a Pentium III, probably.

pfeh. Buying hardware is wrong. That's what employers are for.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

divabot posted:

I fear I must admit the complaint about the ORG sticker on the end as a “NOT ONLY THAT BUT” that got me giggling.

I then switched to a personal netbook, which I trashed. Then a company Toshiba again. These kept breaking keys, and the quickest thing to do each time was transplant the HD to a new one. Then I switched to a Lenovo X230 ... which then kept having the problem where the loose power connector spams the BIOS with ACPI events and randomly shuts down. Went through another three of those. Now on an X240, which is so far robust against, ah, me, though this horrible trackpad might make me smash it to bits with a toffee hammer. At which point they will give me a Toughbook with a Pentium III, probably.

you... seriously use trackpads for work? Other than the fact that you are apparently some sort of ogre with 10 thumbs instead of fingers, have your work buy you a $5 mouse and save your loving sanity, trackpads are garbage and should only be used for stuff that takes <15 seconds.

*edit* trackpads have gotten EVEN WORSE (this was possible?) with the invention of trackpad scrollwheel ability, so randomly you will trigger the scroll function, this is especially bad on lenovos with how they are setup and the sensitivity/non-existant deadzone for the trackpad.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

divabot posted:

companies buy toshibas? Ugh.

our latitudes get trashed but still hold together well.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheShazbot posted:

our latitudes get trashed but still hold together well.

I dropped my latitude about 8 ft off of a ladder the other day and the only part that broke was the usb console cable I was using at the time. I even got that working again with a hammer and some pliers.

Pretty good for a budget notebook or maybe I'm just lucky.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

MF_James posted:

you... seriously use trackpads for work? Other than the fact that you are apparently some sort of ogre with 10 thumbs instead of fingers, have your work buy you a $5 mouse and save your loving sanity, trackpads are garbage and should only be used for stuff that takes <15 seconds.

*edit* trackpads have gotten EVEN WORSE (this was possible?) with the invention of trackpad scrollwheel ability, so randomly you will trigger the scroll function, this is especially bad on lenovos with how they are setup and the sensitivity/non-existant deadzone for the trackpad.

Counterpoint: Apple trackpads actually rule, and I will actively use them on MacBooks if I can't install SmoothMouse for whatever reason. Especially so if I can install BetterTouchTool.

MiniFoo fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 16, 2016

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I'm expected to support an application with a mobile part (Clicksoft).. is there really no solution to remotely view an iPad or iPhones screen without a capture card or airplay or something?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
an email came in:

PremiumSupport (this would make a really good username btw) posted:

Hello Team,

Thank you for response. I will look into it and update the concern team to do needful required for Autouspport email to be received at right target email address.

Welp...

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

an email came in:

Welp...

That almost looks like a reply generated from one of those Markov bots

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

divabot posted:

See, this to me is a bit excessive, especially the "bad hard drive" that turns out to be way more than that. I dunno, I'm the type that would institute a 3 strikes rulefor repeat offenders - basically cover damage the first couple times, then it's all on them to cover damages if they can't be careful. I'm betting a lot of people would treat their poo poo better if they knew they'd eventually be on the hook for stupid, avoidable repair work, especially the "I dunno what happened it just *stopped working* all of a sudden" assholes that have a laptop that looks like it was run over by a loving tank.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I can't believe he removed the Toshiba sticker.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's how you know it's a Toshiba!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

MF_James posted:

I live on the laptop. I've tried a mouse with one and guess what, it's a pain in the arse.

What I want is one that isn't the loving ridiculous trackpad they put in the X240 (and replaced in the X250).

TheShazbot posted:

They're made of cardboard painted silver, pretty much. The R630 was the worst of the lot.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

See, this to me is a bit excessive, especially the "bad hard drive" that turns out to be way more than that. I dunno, I'm the type that would institute a 3 strikes rulefor repeat offenders - basically cover damage the first couple times, then it's all on them to cover damages if they can't be careful. I'm betting a lot of people would treat their poo poo better if they knew they'd eventually be on the hook for stupid, avoidable repair work, especially the "I dunno what happened it just *stopped working* all of a sudden" assholes that have a laptop that looks like it was run over by a loving tank.

I'd say "stop giving me loving cardboard Toshibas, they're poo poo." The employee costs a lot more than their PC, so if you value the former than IT can go hang. It should be obvious with a moment's thought why your idea is silly and unworkable for anyone of sufficient status to get company equipment. Anyway, I'm the sysadmin. (But that's as distinct from IT, or I'd be ordering myself something shiny and indestructible.)

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Of course! That was holding it together!

That's why I shifted to the Lenovo, hoping for an IBM-quality business brick built like a loving tank. Of course it turns out Lenovo suck too, but hey.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

an email came in:

Welp...

NetApp?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You've got to get one of the metal frame ones like most of the W and T series.

I had an Edge at my first IT job. There was a sharp part behind the screen, which meant that if something fell on the very flimsy lid, it would shatter. It happened twice in maybe six months until I went to Goodwill and bought a super padded laptop bag.

My T430, though, could probably be used as a club and still work.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You've got to get one of the metal frame ones like most of the W and T series.

I had an Edge at my first IT job. There was a sharp part behind the screen, which meant that if something fell on the very flimsy lid, it would shatter. It happened twice in maybe six months until I went to Goodwill and bought a super padded laptop bag.

My T430, though, could probably be used as a club and still work.

Yeah I have a t420, had it for 2+ years, the first part on it just broke literally this morning, the little flap that covers the dockport.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Helpdesk IM:
:downs: I took off the cellulose for my laptop and it displayed funny, but when I replaced it with a vegan alternative, it got all fuzzy. I need to be able to read, can you read this?
:IT Guy: That's a screenshot and it seems alright. What do you mean by 'cellulose' and 'vegan alternative'?
:downs: Well, this fat is really bad for you, so I had to replace it so that it wouldn't harm me.
:IT Guy: We don't deal with food. Did you want to talk to the cafeteria?
:downs: Oh, no! This was my laptop!

Phone Call Later:
:IT Guy: Hey, Arsten, are you close to <another office in the city> to go take a look at this users' laptop?
:eng101: Sure, I'll get it on my way home.

Guesses?

She cut off the plastic cover on her screen, somehow separated the plastic front from the LEDs and then smeared what appeared to be straight up fat across the remainder of the panel. It is, indeed, "fuzzy".

I need to get into accounting. Numbers can't possibly be this depressing.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
This is why my company goes with Lenovo T series every cycle. Good build, but godawful touchpad. I pretty much tell people to buy a mice, it'll be a lot easier to work with.

Arsten posted:

Helpdesk IM:
:downs: I took off the cellulose for my laptop and it displayed funny, but when I replaced it with a vegan alternative, it got all fuzzy. I need to be able to read, can you read this?
:IT Guy: That's a screenshot and it seems alright. What do you mean by 'cellulose' and 'vegan alternative'?
:downs: Well, this fat is really bad for you, so I had to replace it so that it wouldn't harm me.

Phone Call Later:
:IT Guy: Hey, Arsten, are you close to <another office in the city> to go take a look at this users' laptop?

Guesses?

She cut off the plastic cover on her screen, somehow separated the plastic front from the LEDs and then smeared what appeared to be straight up fat across the remainder of the panel. It is, indeed, "fuzzy".

Why would ANYONE do this? :pysduck:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Arsten posted:

Helpdesk IM:

Can IT helpdesks get people sectioned?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Pretty sure we need a picture of that.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Can IT helpdesks get people sectioned?

Sectioned? Committed?

odiv posted:

Pretty sure we need a picture of that.

I left it on her managers' desk. If I have occasion to, I'll swing by tomorrow and take a photo.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Arsten posted:

Helpdesk IM:

Phone Call Later:

Guesses?

I wouldn't even be depressed. That's impressive. That's craft and dedication to stupidity right there, you gotta respect that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Arsten posted:

Sectioned? Committed?

Yeah, sorry, :britain: word for it. Does this user have a history?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Arsten posted:

My friend is currently dealing with an idiot that made >30million dollars in bad/fraudulent loans, because I guess he thought the gov't and his company wouldn't notice eventually? Accounting can be sad as well my friend.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

She wanted to convert it to organic LED.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I spoke with an Integra guy this morning because I needed to add an IP range to our SPF record but their web form only allows 64 characters. He said his admins have been trying to figure out a workaround, and I asked him if they'd just removed the maxlength value on the input field. He seemed legitimately amazed that you could just do that. I didn't actually try it, because whatever's on the other side of the web form might be expecting 64 characters or fewer.

This wouldn't make a decent enough post on its own, except maybe I should try to fiddle around with their web form now, because Integra is currently going through some poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No genetically modified diodes in my laptop please

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Segmentation Fault posted:

I wouldn't even be depressed. That's impressive. That's craft and dedication to stupidity right there, you gotta respect that.
You be impressed. I'll be finding out if you can fumigate for stupid. This bug bomb should be good, right?

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, sorry, :britain: word for it. Does this user have a history?

drat you British! :argh: They say your country spawned the loving language, but no one there seems to speak it. :v: Snatch. Watch it if you want an entertaining, but cringe-worthy representation of Britain.

As for her history, her IT user notes says that the account was created in March. She's been here for never.

MF_James posted:

My friend is currently dealing with an idiot that made >30million dollars in bad/fraudulent loans, because I guess he thought the gov't and his company wouldn't notice eventually? Accounting can be sad as well my friend.
30 million, ey? Bet he is let off the hook. Rich people don't go to jail.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Arsten posted:

You be impressed. I'll be finding out if you can fumigate for stupid. This bug bomb should be good, right?

drat you British! :argh: They say your country spawned the loving language, but no one there seems to speak it. :v: Snatch. Watch it if you want an entertaining, but cringe-worthy representation of Britain.

As for her history, her IT user notes says that the account was created in March. She's been here for never.

30 million, ey? Bet he is let off the hook. Rich people don't go to jail.

Nope, gov't gonna own his rear end in a top hat, pretty hard in fact from the sounds of it, the owner of the company paid the loans out of his pocket (not the businesses funds, although it's basiclaly the same yeah?) to get the gov't away from the company.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

MF_James posted:

Nope, gov't gonna own his rear end in a top hat, pretty hard in fact from the sounds of it, the owner of the company paid the loans out of his pocket (not the businesses funds, although it's basiclaly the same yeah?) to get the gov't away from the company.

New money. :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Arsten posted:

But cellulose is vegan :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just on Touchpad talk, the ones on the HP Pavilions have been pretty nice. Though it's semi-important when the model's a 2-in-1 and you don't really want a mouse dangling off it in Tablet Form I guess.

• Locked thread