Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

identity49 posted:

Well, upgrading my Lumia Icon to WP10 has killed any love I had for Windows Phone.

I can no longer:
A) conveniently listen to music in my car via Bluetooth
B) scan QR codes (without downloading garbage/paid third party apps)
C) send/receive picture messages
D) send/receive group texts
E) take photos without a 5+ second delay from pressing the button
F) pin photos app to start screen
G) stay under 3gb/mo with same usage habits that incurred <2gb/mo using WP 8.1
H) go more than 6 hours without having to charge the phone's battery
I) differentiate between notification types when in vibrate mode

I'm sure the list would just get longer with time, were I willing to keep using the phone.

It was a good run.

Do a backup, then a factory reset, then restore your backup to fix weird glitches like this. I also signed up for fast ring updates on the Windows Insider app. Made a world of difference for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Apparently a Snapchat support agent claims a WM 10 app is coming. That would be cool. I don't really see much point to it, but all my friends love it.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

smr posted:

Br[wwwrqrq

Wow. Sorry about that one. No idea how that happened :S

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Windows Phone - Br[wwwrqrq

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Does anyone else think it's weird when people refer to Cortana as "she" and "her?" It's software and is a genderless "it" if you ask me. Do people do that with Siri too? Am I cis scum? :ohdear:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It is named after and responds as a female

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Posting from my new phone, Huawei P9. I'm keeping my 925 as backup phone while my dad got the 640XL since he wants the better camera (he owns a lovely android phone atm) and just uses whatsapp.

I have to say that I'm not going to miss the constant loading or lack of apps (or at least not lovely ones) . The camera on the P9 (dual Leica) is fantastic, drat fast and the battery is nice. At the other hand I'll miss the tile interface I learned to love since I got the 925.

I'll keep an eye if they ever release a surface phone and make WM10 actually not a beta.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I really miss my old lumia icon and I'd like to go back to Windows phone. Can y'all recommend the best value for a Verizon compatible Windows phone? The icon did everything I wanted in a phone (although expandable storage and a swappable battery would be nice).

An HTC one? Another icon? Something else?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

LifeSizePotato posted:

Does anyone else think it's weird when people refer to Cortana as "she" and "her?" It's software and is a genderless "it" if you ask me. Do people do that with Siri too? Am I cis scum? :ohdear:

She's programmed to be female, as is Siri. Just because they lack all anatomy doesn't make them less female. Open your mind, jerk!

But yeah, everyone refers to Siri as a her also, even though they are just programs. No one calls the Facebook app by any gender.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wookieepelt posted:

She's programmed to be female, as is Siri.

Siri has male and female voices though (Some countries/languages default to the male voice). Cortana only has the female voice.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nobody calls Google Now "he" or "she," because Google Now is a cold heartless automaton

If you tell Google Now to tell you a joke, it Googles "joke" for you. It figures that you do not understand the concept of jokes, because it does not understand the concept of jokes either.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

If you tell Google Now to tell you a joke, it Googles "joke" for you.

"Okay Google, tell me a joke.... I didn't ask you to google for Windows Phone"

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Drastic Actions posted:

Siri has male and female voices though (Some countries/languages default to the male voice). Cortana only has the female voice.

Cortana the assistant also came after Cortana the explicitly presented as naked blue video game lady so people already had preconceived notions of her nominal gender.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Subterfrugal posted:

I really miss my old lumia icon and I'd like to go back to Windows phone. Can y'all recommend the best value for a Verizon compatible Windows phone? The icon did everything I wanted in a phone (although expandable storage and a swappable battery would be nice).

An HTC one? Another icon? Something else?

Well theres really been nothing new since the lumia icon or HTC one. So whichever of those you can get cheaper would be my bet.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
God that's depressing.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Windows Phone - God, That's Depressing

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Well theres really been nothing new since the lumia icon or HTC one. So whichever of those you can get cheaper would be my bet.

Is there no such thing as an unlocked 640XL that works on Verizon?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
A few years ago my phone broke while I was in Germany so I got myself a 635, and I used it until I got myself an iPhone. I recently pulled it out of a drawer to mess around with and dang it if I don't still really enjoy using WP. I have s little disposable income and the 650 is within my budget but reading online seems there's a lot of complaints about the battery. Since most info I can find about the device is months old, any goons have one and can offer for their thoughts in what is most certainly a poor purchasing decision?

gently caress I wish I could get this exact keyboard on my iPhone.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

ManSedan posted:

A few years ago my phone broke while I was in Germany so I got myself a 635, and I used it until I got myself an iPhone. I recently pulled it out of a drawer to mess around with and dang it if I don't still really enjoy using WP. I have s little disposable income and the 650 is within my budget but reading online seems there's a lot of complaints about the battery. Since most info I can find about the device is months old, any goons have one and can offer for their thoughts in what is most certainly a poor purchasing decision?

gently caress I wish I could get this exact keyboard on my iPhone.

You can. Wordflow keyboard.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Wordflow is great on iOS. The only thing is, is that it doesnt suggest emoji. But there's an emoji panel to pick them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Factor Mystic posted:

Wordflow is great on iOS. The only thing is, is that it doesnt suggest emoji. But there's an emoji panel to pick them.

Unfortunately Microsoft never bothered to make it available in Australia

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Factor Mystic posted:

Huh? It does on mine.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That's actually a feature. Grown adults shouldn't be using emoji. (except on SA, but those are grown up emoji; they even have sex sometimes)

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 13, 2016

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

CubanMissile posted:

Huh? It does on mine.

Weird, I guess thats part of your personalized autocorrect. I don't get any emoji when I type that stuff. I also don't type a lot of emoji but I see to recall that on Windows Phone it would suggest the icon if you type the word its for.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Windows Phone - Microsoft has great iOS and Android apps!

Wordflow (on Windows and the third party keyboards) should suggest emoji if you type in the word, then you can auto correct to replace it with the emoji.

Also I'm not a big fan of third party keyboards on iOS because Apple's API for it is garbage. Wordflow is okay but it suffers from the same limitations.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I moved to Android last year but one thing I still miss is 8.1's Wordflow. Its predictive text was next level and it was also great at recognizing my clumsy one-handed swipes. The emoji suggestions were also handy. I haven't found an Android substitute that matches that experience yet.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 14, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LifeSizePotato posted:

I moved to Android last year but one thing I still miss is 8.1's Wordflow. Its predictive text was next level and it was also great at recognizing my clumsy one-handed swipes. The emoji suggestions were also handy. I haven't found an Android substitute that matches that experience yet.

Try Swiftkey, for me it's the best android keyboard out there. It has great swipe typing and stores your common words in the cloud (if you want) so you have the same between devices.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I was watching the pocketnow review of the 950, and it's super complimentary but the same guy reviewed the 950XL and it was the opposite reaction. Are they really that different?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The placement of the power button on the 950XL is pretty dire imo :colbert:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Unfortunately Microsoft never bothered to make it available in Australia

Microsoft is currently under the impression that the world ends at north americas borders.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Microsoft is currently under the impression that the world ends at north americas borders.

You amaze me that Microsoft has impressions about things, to be perfectly honest. Microsoft has been a slow motion trainwreck for a number of years.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm still of the opinion that Nadella will save it, just maybe retreating from a lot of things we'd rather see succeed :smith:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

loquacius posted:

I'm still of the opinion that Nadella will save it, just maybe retreating from a lot of things we'd rather see succeed :smith:

Microsoft has done some good stuff - I think the surface pro 4 and the surface book are outstanding pieces of hardware that set an example to other OEMs; I like the Microsoft Store and the Signature edition program; Office is fine, and I use outlook on all my iOS devices; but windows itself is a clusterfuck. Mobile in particular - they basically pushed out an incredibly rough, unfinished, half broken OS that probably wouldn't have been sufficiently finished to be called a beta in other companies, and tried to portray it as a finished product - but you see a lot of the same stuff on Windows 10 for PCs. Even setting aside the complaints regarding privacy, the deceptive tactics used to force the upgrade on people, the aggressive pushing of the store, etc - the OS is Seriously lacking in polish, riddled with broken stuff, the UI is a frankenstein monster of cobbled together concepts from multiple generations of windows -it's not acceptable. Even with the Anniversary Update it isn't in the state it should have been in when it was launched. They need to learn a lesson from Apple and start developing some attention to detail - the contrast between Windows 10 and OSX is staggering. Literally the only thing keeping me from buying a mac when this PC reaches retirement age is the fact that I can't get one with a decent GPU, and if that ever changes I'm gone. I've already ditched windows phone for an iphone, and I've bought an ipad.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Well, I dunno if it's as clear-cut as that for me -- I tried using OSX for work for a few months and couldn't stand it -- but I've recently started to try using Edge as a browser (since Chrome and FF are so bad at resource management) and yeah it definitely feels unfinished

Just smaller stuff like WebM support issues, extensions not working in private browsing mode (and only recently existing at all), page logos not showing up correctly in browser tab headers half the time, etc etc, plus I really miss Firefox's multi-search-engine-capable search bar. Thanks to sound fundamentals (talking again about resource management) it'd end up being the best choice if the kinks were already ironed out, but they're not :shrug:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

loquacius posted:

Well, I dunno if it's as clear-cut as that for me -- I tried using OSX for work for a few months and couldn't stand it -- but I've recently started to try using Edge as a browser (since Chrome and FF are so bad at resource management) and yeah it definitely feels unfinished

Just smaller stuff like WebM support issues, extensions not working in private browsing mode (and only recently existing at all), page logos not showing up correctly in browser tab headers half the time, etc etc, plus I really miss Firefox's multi-search-engine-capable search bar. Thanks to sound fundamentals (talking again about resource management) it'd end up being the best choice if the kinks were already ironed out, but they're not :shrug:

I haven't even been able to get an edge extension to install properly. And the UI Stuff - explorer windows look more or less like windows 7 did, but with a ribbon. the start menu looks like it's come from a totally different OS. Right click context menu can't decide if it wants to be white text on black, or black text on white, and changes depending on what you click on. Modern UI apps like the settings app (which looks really nice, and is an example of what everything should look like) looks totally different to explorer windows, and to MS Office. Except there is also a control panel which duplicates settings, and has some stuff that settings doesn't. Both control panel and settings can uninstall programs, but some programs only show up in control panel - I get that the control panel is a legacy app, and stuff is being migrated to settings, but why wouldn't you finish doing that before you release the OS? dig deep enough (especially stuff aimed at advanced users) and you'll find UI that is essentially unchanged from how it looked in windows 95.

I'm curious for more details on your experience using OSX though, if people don't mind the derail - I haven't actually used it seriously outside of playing around in apple stores.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Microsoft has been a slow motion trainwreck for a number of years.

This isn't really true. I wish I could experience the massively profitable "trainwreck" they're allegedly having. The death of Microsoft has long been prophesied, and has yet to actually occur.

Microsoft is pretty successful at things they care about, and unbelievably frustrating to deal with on things they don't care about. A full 50% of that frustration is due to POOR COMMUNICATION. They can't bring themselves to just come out and say "phones was kind of a bust, moving on", so they just taper off the frequency of messages as they drain out all the talent, so they don't have to say anything. Plus, they can't seem to ever know when they're on to something and let it live and grow... a dozen examples of that in this thread, as we watched treasured features wither and die due on the vine.

I mean, at least they're not Google, but that's hardly a consolation for anyone itc.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

This isn't really true. I wish I could experience the massively profitable "trainwreck" they're allegedly having. The death of Microsoft has long been prophesied, and has yet to actually occur.

Microsoft is pretty successful at things they care about, and unbelievably frustrating to deal with on things they don't care about. A full 50% of that frustration is due to POOR COMMUNICATION. They can't bring themselves to just come out and say "phones was kind of a bust, moving on", so they just taper off the frequency of messages as they drain out all the talent, so they don't have to say anything. Plus, they can't seem to ever know when they're on to something and let it live and grow... a dozen examples of that in this thread, as we watched treasured features wither and die due on the vine.

I mean, at least they're not Google, but that's hardly a consolation for anyone itc.

I didn't mean it from the perspective of how well they're performing financially, more from the point of view of my perception of the declining quality of their products. The two aren't necessarily related, there are many companies than manage to be hugely profitable despite producing poor quality products (or sometimes because of it).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does anyones outlook mail live tile actually work properly in 10? It seems like the message count and actual content is almost always out of date (sometimes by days).

The behavior seems similar on release or insider branches.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I haven't seen "days", but I have, over the last few weeks especially, noticed it being an email or two behind. It seems to have a harder time when I have rules on my desktop Outlook (running 24/7) to move mail, where it doesn't always keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

Does anyones outlook mail live tile actually work properly in 10? It seems like the message count and actual content is almost always out of date (sometimes by days).

The behavior seems similar on release or insider branches.

Not this but I get irritated by clicking on a new email in the dropdown notifications with the phone going to the last message I read, then having to navigate through Outlook to get the actual one I clicked on. What the wft.