Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always use nutmeg too, and salt the egg mixture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Bread the bread (heh) in panko for extra fancy french toast. :v:

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Then deep fry them and make bacon sandwiches. Freedom Toast.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jan posted:

Bread the bread (heh) in panko for extra fancy french toast. :v:

Captain Crunch makes it even better

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for all the dope replies everybody! This'll be the first time I'm making French toast so I probably won't try Captain Crunch breading, although that sounds amazing and I'm now going to at least become a decent French toast whiz, but soon! Soon!

When I searched the forums earlier for French toast, it seemed like there was a divide between salting the egg mixture and not.. can anyone elaborate on the pros/cons of doing so?

Fake edit: Also, are cast iron skillets good for French toast? I've been meaning to get mine out of the back of my cabinet..

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Johnny Truant posted:

Thanks for all the dope replies everybody! This'll be the first time I'm making French toast so I probably won't try Captain Crunch breading, although that sounds amazing and I'm now going to at least become a decent French toast whiz, but soon! Soon!

When I searched the forums earlier for French toast, it seemed like there was a divide between salting the egg mixture and not.. can anyone elaborate on the pros/cons of doing so?

Fake edit: Also, are cast iron skillets good for French toast? I've been meaning to get mine out of the back of my cabinet..

Always add a little pinch of salt, it won't make it salty, just amp up the other flavors. The only cons I can think of as far as salt and eggs are concerned are associated with scrambled eggs, not french toast where the eggs should be dilute enough that those concerns don't really matter.

And you can do french toast in anything, nonstick, steel, cast iron, whatever. Cast iron is nice for the extremely even heat distribution, just make sure to use plenty of butter, TBH I prefer a really good nonstick for french toast.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Goons With (And Possibly Without) Spoons, bestow upon me your best average-ingredient carbonara recipes. None of this Jamie Oliver "higher welfare pancetta" baloney. I know I'm supposed to use bacon, parmesan, eggs and spaghetti - it's the amounts and order and whatnot I'm not sure on. I'm looking for authenticity but also something I can cook with what I've already got in my fridge.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

Goons With (And Possibly Without) Spoons, bestow upon me your best average-ingredient carbonara recipes. None of this Jamie Oliver "higher welfare pancetta" baloney. I know I'm supposed to use bacon, parmesan, eggs and spaghetti - it's the amounts and order and whatnot I'm not sure on. I'm looking for authenticity but also something I can cook with what I've already got in my fridge.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spaghetti_alla_carbonara

sub/scale as needed. You can temper the eggs with some of the pasta water to help prevent curdling.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Perfect.

Does carbonara do okay leftovers, or is it one of those things that is going to separate and get nasty if i try to nuke it the next day?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I really like that recipe and my only suggestion to change it is to add more yolks.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

Perfect.

Does carbonara do okay leftovers, or is it one of those things that is going to separate and get nasty if i try to nuke it the next day?

IMO, it's a dish that does NOT reheat. But hey, your mileage may vary.

We love that recipe around these here parts, but do disabuse yourself of the notion of an "authentic" carbonara. Without quoting past goonly diatribes, there just isn't a One True Carbonara.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

IMO, it's a dish that does NOT reheat. But hey, your mileage may vary.

We love that recipe around these here parts, but do disabuse yourself of the notion of an "authentic" carbonara. Without quoting past goonly diatribes, there just isn't a One True Carbonara.

Okay yeah but there is a basic/original carbonara that hasn't been tarted up by a bajillion allrecipes users and I assumed that this would be the place to find it. This is my first time having carbonara, and I wanted the baseline before I started getting fancy.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try to figure out how much to pare that recipe down for a single serving.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

Okay yeah but there is a basic/original carbonara that hasn't been tarted up by a bajillion allrecipes users and I assumed that this would be the place to find it. This is my first time having carbonara, and I wanted the baseline before I started getting fancy.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try to figure out how much to pare that recipe down for a single serving.

I always just eyeball things. Really, the only thing you can screw up is scrambling the egg and there's ways to avoid that (tempering, as suggested, as well as checking the temp of your pasta. If it's under 170, you're good to add the eggs.) I prefer romano to parm. If you can't get pancetta or guanciale, I would suggest you at least try to find an unsmoked bacon. And use lots of fresh cracked pepper. And don't add salt until you've added everything else and tested it because between the bacon and the cheese, there will likely be enough salt.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I always just eyeball things. Really, the only thing you can screw up is scrambling the egg and there's ways to avoid that (tempering, as suggested, as well as checking the temp of your pasta. If it's under 170, you're good to add the eggs.) I prefer romano to parm. If you can't get pancetta or guanciale, I would suggest you at least try to find an unsmoked bacon. And use lots of fresh cracked pepper. And don't add salt until you've added everything else and tested it because between the bacon and the cheese, there will likely be enough salt.

Alas, I only have regular old strips of bacon in my fridge.

I'll keep in mind the temp and the pepper though. The joys of lots of pepper are something I've only discovered recently

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

Perfect.

I usually bring the leftovers for lunch the next day and they're edible but very, very sad and not worth it at all.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

ChickenWing posted:

I'll keep in mind the temp and the pepper though. The joys of lots of pepper are something I've only discovered recently

You know, I make great carbonara, and I only use American style bacon for it. Don't be intimidated!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

It will still be good, just the combo of bacon and eggs may be more reminiscent of breakfast than what you're aiming for.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It will still be good, just the combo of bacon and eggs may be more reminiscent of breakfast than what you're aiming for.

Far be it for me to knock brinner

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Bacon works fine! I like to dice it up pretty fine before cooking it, rather than cooking it whole then crumbling.

Also, if you keep the pasta water in the pot, you can use it as a double boiler to finish everything over a controlled heat.

Leftovers are... OK. Not nearly as good as fresh, but perfectly servicable as a snack or a lazy lunch. Mostly, the sauce just dries out and will never be as luxurious as when you made it.

The thing about carbonara is that there's no original pure vision, it's always been a 'throw together what I've got' kind of dish. It's a descendant of cacio e pepe. It traditionally contains pancetta or guanciale because that's what the people making it had around. If you've got bacon around, then go ahead and use that! If you get good at making it with stuff you always have on hand anyway, that means you can eat carbonara more often, and that's what's really important.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

rgocs posted:

Or, get some French bread now and let it dry out. In France it's called "pain perdu" (lost bread) because it's made with old bread that has gone too dry to eat in its own.
In France it was originally called pain a la Romaine, because they (possibly erroneously) attributed its origins to the Romans in the same way we (certainly erroneously) attribute its origins to France. You'll also hear it referred to any number of other names: croûte dorée, pain crotté, and probably several others I'm not familiar with. Half-day-old brioche is generally what you'd get if you ordered at a fairly nice restaurant---you can use pretty much any kind of fairly light bread, but brioche, milk bread, or as already mentioned challah generally make better pain perdu.

Squashy Nipples posted:

The short version is that the oldest know version of the dish calls for lardo, which makes a substantially different dish than the bacon/pancetta/guanciale/whatever version we so love in GWS. That version is conspicuously an adaptation of the recipe to employ whatever happens to be at hand, so it's a bit silly to worry about `purity' over it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So I make this sorta half-spaghetti sauce half-chili half-stew whatever it doesn't really matter what it's called it's tomato-based with beans and vegetables but not supposed to be overly spicy. I add red pepper flakes, but I added way too much and now it's spicy as gently caress. I looked online to see if I could balance it out, but the issue is I have a whole bunch of dietary restrictions that prevent me from using a lot of those suggestions.

I eat it by itself so there's no pasta or rice to mellow it when I eat it. I will use cheese, but I don't think that'll do the trick on its own. I've used up all my vegetables so I can't just straight up dilute it. Some sites say vinegar which I do have but I hate vinegar (I keep a bottle around for cleaning purposes). Will it make my sauce taste like vinegar? Some sites say sugar or things with sugar in them, but I don't have any sugar (or honey, molasses, etc) in my house. I have sugar twin but I have no idea how that will react chemically. Some say to straight up add more oil, but I'm wary of that in making my sauce more oily than it already is. Also I don't think adding dairy will work since it's essentially a marinara sauce base and other than cheese I don't really have a lot of dairy in my kitchen either.

It's not too bad and I'll still eat it even if it's spicy, but since I can't drink anything while eating, I'd really like to try to make it more reasonable.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

There's not much you can really do to dilute the spiciness without adding more vegetable (or other) matter. Capsaicin is oil soluble so adding more will make it just as spicy, but oily, and adding vinegar won't do poo poo but make it acidic and vinegary. Do you have any canned tomatoes or anything like that? If so, just add a can or two which would help to dilute the spiciness.

Basically if you have anything canned in the pantry (or even frozen veggies), adding them will help but if not, just be prepared to have a burny butthole.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

There's not much you can really do to dilute the spiciness without adding more vegetable (or other) matter. Capsaicin is oil soluble so adding more will make it just as spicy, but oily, and adding vinegar won't do poo poo but make it acidic and vinegary. Do you have any canned tomatoes or anything like that? If so, just add a can or two which would help to dilute the spiciness.

Basically if you have anything canned in the pantry (or even frozen veggies), adding them will help but if not, just be prepared to have a burny butthole.

This is all in a slow cooker and has 2 large cans of tomatoes and a buttload of vegetables.

It still has quite a few hours left on how long I was planning on cooking it, so maybe the vegetables will do their work over time?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I was going to suggest milk, but if you don't have any sour cream, cream cheese, or yogurt... :shrug:

Try eating it with big hunks of bread...unless that's the dietary restriction you were talking about

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MrSlam posted:

I was going to suggest milk, but if you don't have any sour cream, cream cheese, or yogurt... :shrug:

Try eating it with big hunks of bread...unless that's the dietary restriction you were talking about

Yeah, no bread either.

It's always a little different every time, so I guess this is just a spicy batch.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
You could potentially add water/stock and blend the sauce into a spicy tomato/vegetable soup. Less spice per mouthful because of the dilution and if you can eat bread you wouldn't need to eat as much of the sauce, either

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

The Midniter posted:

burny butthole.

The Spicy Butthole is the name of my future sexually liberated bar and grill

we call our onion rings 'O-Rings'

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Serve it over a bunch of rice I guess, like everyone else said you can't really un-spice it, only use more stuff to sop up the spice.

e: you said you don't use rice with it so I guess not, but it's your call on turning a painful unpleasant dish into a nippy feisty one I guess. Just like there's no way to de-salt something that's been overly salted, you can't make too much capsaicin go away without something to buffer it with.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 16, 2016

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

hogmartin posted:

Serve it over a bunch of rice I guess, like everyone else said you can't really un-spice it, only use more stuff to sop up the spice.

e: you said you don't use rice with it so I guess not, but it's your call on turning a painful unpleasant dish into a nippy feisty one I guess. Just like there's no way to de-salt something that's been overly salted, you can't make too much capsaicin go away without something to buffer it with.

Yeah, I would if I could, but it's a matter of what I can and cannot eat.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Yo my carbonara was delish, thanks goons.

Ended up cutting the recipe by a quarter and using fettucine instead of spaghetti and bacon instead of pancetta but it was still honking good

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
As long as your carbonara has pork, pasta, egg and cheese in it in some ratio it's gonna be hella good

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think we should have like a bizarro NICSA where you take those basic ingredients and try to make the most hosed up version possible

like kraft singles and pork jerky or something stupid like that

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Would egg pasta count as egg and pasta in that case or only pasta

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Asiina posted:

Yeah, I would if I could, but it's a matter of what I can and cannot eat.
(People might be able to suggest other options if they knew what you could or could not eat.)

I make a hot chilli/stew similar to what you describe for my lunches. I eat it with Greek yogurt on the side to keep the heat controlled. I know you mentioned you "don't really have a lot of dairy", but I don't know what 'not a lot' covers :) . Also, is going to a store out of the question?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

rgocs posted:

(People might be able to suggest other options if they knew what you could or could not eat.)

I make a hot chilli/stew similar to what you describe for my lunches. I eat it with Greek yogurt on the side to keep the heat controlled. I know you mentioned you "don't really have a lot of dairy", but I don't know what 'not a lot' covers :) . Also, is going to a store out of the question?

Going the store is out of the question, unfortunately. I was working all day and now it's evening.

Not a lot of dairy means I have some 1% milk and some cheese, but no butter or yogurt or sour cream.

Also the dietary restrictions are really just very broad. No bread, rice, or pasta, basically most starches are out. Also no sugar in any capacity either.

It's also a matter of amount. The restrictions are because I've had a gastric bypass about 18 months ago. It means I eat extremely small quantities (less than 1 cup of food per meal), and it's important for things like protein and vegetables to always take precedence over anything else, so while cheese is okay to add as something that might mellow it out, rice or bread isn't.

It also means I can't drink for at least 30 minutes after eating, so I tried to avoid very spicy food since I can't do anything about my mouth burning.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Asiina posted:

Going the store is out of the question, unfortunately. I was working all day and now it's evening.

Not a lot of dairy means I have some 1% milk and some cheese, but no butter or yogurt or sour cream.

Also the dietary restrictions are really just very broad. No bread, rice, or pasta, basically most starches are out. Also no sugar in any capacity either.

It's also a matter of amount. The restrictions are because I've had a gastric bypass about 18 months ago. It means I eat extremely small quantities (less than 1 cup of food per meal), and it's important for things like protein and vegetables to always take precedence over anything else, so while cheese is okay to add as something that might mellow it out, rice or bread isn't.

It also means I can't drink for at least 30 minutes after eating, so I tried to avoid very spicy food since I can't do anything about my mouth burning.

You can swish some water/milk and spit, it's sort of disgusting but it will help with the spicy mouth if it gets really bad.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I have a coworker who had a gastric bypass and the idea of not drinking with a meal would drive me loving bonkers. I keep a 24oz Nalgene bottle with me night and day and I think I refill it at least 8 times a day. Not being able to drink a bottle of water 6 hours before surgery or a scope is just murder.

Lentils or other beans might help restore the protein but really all you can do is dilute it somehow.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

hogmartin posted:

I have a coworker who had a gastric bypass and the idea of not drinking with a meal would drive me loving bonkers. I keep a 24oz Nalgene bottle with me night and day and I think I refill it at least 8 times a day. Not being able to drink a bottle of water 6 hours before surgery or a scope is just murder.

Lentils or other beans might help restore the protein but really all you can do is dilute it somehow.

You get used to it.

I drink a lot too. I have a timer app on my phone where I can hit a button on the home screen and it'll beep after 30 minutes. I set it as soon as I'm done eating so I know when I can drink. I do sometimes end up watching that clock though.

There's lots of beans and lentils in it already. I've tried it now that it's been cooking for about 8 hours and while the sauce itself is quite spicy, it's not too bad when I eat it with the rest of the stuff in it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a brownie recipe I like. How would I incorporate cream cheese if I wanted to make cream cheese swirl brownies?

Also, is there a place that lists recipe taxonomies? I'm organizing recipes and want to have hierarchies of things like quick breads, sauces, etc.

e: what's Hoppin John categorized as?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Asiina posted:

You get used to it.

I drink a lot too. I have a timer app on my phone where I can hit a button on the home screen and it'll beep after 30 minutes. I set it as soon as I'm done eating so I know when I can drink. I do sometimes end up watching that clock though.

There's lots of beans and lentils in it already. I've tried it now that it's been cooking for about 8 hours and while the sauce itself is quite spicy, it's not too bad when I eat it with the rest of the stuff in it.

That's good then. If it gets too hot, the idea of swirling milk in your mouth can help. The fat in it helps remove capsaicin in your mouth. And if you end up drinking some by error, there are proteins in it too.