Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Gounads posted:

I imagine it's better for the U.S. to lose jobs to automation here at home than jobs overseas to cheap labor?
I think so long as quality is not lost automation is a good thing. Should our farmers still be walking around with scythes and sickles?

Sure, people lose jobs to machines, but less people/energy to create the same thing is a good thing for the country in the big picture. New types of (probably tech) jobs will develop to take their place. People will still be employed, but instead maybe as a mechanic (manufacturing/maintaining the equipment that replaced complete manual labor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Runaktla posted:

I think so long as quality is not lost automation is a good thing. Should our farmers still be walking around with scythes and sickles?

Sure, people lose jobs to machines, but less people/energy to create the same thing is a good thing for the country in the big picture. New types of (probably tech) jobs will develop to take their place. People will still be employed, but instead maybe as a mechanic (manufacturing/maintaining the equipment that replaced complete manual labor).

This is demonstrably untrue in the way that you're suggesting. No, our farmers shouldn't be walking around with scythes and sickles, but agriculture and supporting industries basically don't employ (relative to the labor force on the whole) anyone these days. Take a look at this table. Agricultural and manufacturing labor combined don't add up to even one quarter of the service labor force. Combined they only make up around 15% of the entire labor force.

You don't replace a data entry job with an automated system and then go out and hire a higher paid IT guy to replace your data entry person and maintain the system. Jobs do go away and stay away. It's not strictly a bad thing, but the idea that automation creates new jobs in place of the ones it eliminated is too simplistic a view. The push into the service sector has legitimately replaced a lot of middle income jobs with lower income ones, and there's no reason to think that trend is going away and plenty of reasons to think it's going to get worse. Even the White House thinks that around 80% of jobs that currently pay less than $20/hour are vulnerable to automation.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
In other news Kansas state agencies are being asked to evaluate the impact of a 5% decrease in budget

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A bunch of poor people around the world with no jobs for money and lots of free time...sounds promising!

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

effectual posted:

A bunch of poor people around the world with no jobs for money and lots of free time...sounds promising!

There will be plenty of new jobs for them, such as Prison Guard, Policeman, Parole Officer since there will be a whole new group of criminals.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

This is the time to start getting into carpentry, folks. Learn to make a guillotine and you'll be set.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
And if they need a religion that teaches that the physical, transient world is unimportant compared to the rewards of the afterlife, I have a couple of suggestions Christianity

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Can I pick the religion from Dead Space instead

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Isn't that basically Scientology?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Concordat posted:

Isn't that basically Scientology?
Yes, except for the parts where Body Thetans actually are subharmonic vibrations that cause cellular mutation and tissue death/reanimation, and where Scientology Centers are really Eldrich pillars whose endgame is sucking the sapient life from a planet to create a giant fuckball necroplanet.

So pretty accurate comparison, all in all.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Old James posted:

There will be plenty of new jobs for them, such as Prison Guard, Policeman, Parole Officer since there will be a whole new group of criminals.

Some railroad tycoon or another said something that's pretty appropriate. "The funny thing about poor people is that I can hire half of them to kill the other half." That's paraphrasing but it's terrifying that some people have exactly that attitude.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

You don't replace a data entry job with an automated system and then go out and hire a higher paid IT guy to replace your data entry person and maintain the system.
Well you do..just at a ratio of 1 hire for every 10-20 made redundant.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Some railroad tycoon or another said something that's pretty appropriate. "The funny thing about poor people is that I can hire half of them to kill the other half." That's paraphrasing but it's terrifying that some people have exactly that attitude.

Jay Gould https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Gould

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Wikipedia says that quote is often attributed to him but can't find a source for it so he might not have said it.

I just heard a story about how people in Kansas are having their Medicare benefits withdrawn because the state is out of money. Buy Medicare is a federal program; how can that happen?

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 13, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Gould got an unnecessarily harsh reputation from the fact that he frequently outwitted other massively wealthy men, which offended them. So they tended to try to have him painted as the most evil to make themselves look good.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LLSix posted:

Wikipedia says that quote is often attributed to him but can't find a source for it so he might not have said it.

I just heard a story about how people in Kansas are having their Medicare benefits withdrawn because the state is out of money. Buy Medicare is a federal program; how can that happen?

Medicare funds are entrusted to the states to administer for some godawful reason or another. It's why some not accepting the expansion is a thing that can happen.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

paragon1 posted:

Medicare funds are entrusted to the states to administer for some godawful reason or another. It's why some not accepting the expansion is a thing that can happen.

Are you sure they aren't referring to medicaid?

Medicare - health care for olds
Medicaid - health care for poors

Medicare is entirely federal I believe, medicaid is administered by the states with federal funding to help support it (not 100% though)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

fordham posted:

Medicare is entirely federal I believe, medicaid is administered by the states with federal funding to help support it (not 100% though)

Ah, yes, I think you're right. :sweatdrop:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Wichita is talking about cutting their public transportation services altogether after 2019 because of that dumb law that freezes spending levels of municipal governments forever and ever until the end of time, things are working as intended

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

fordham posted:

The person in the story is both poor and old. I got the information second hand though, so its possible the person talking with me was confused about which benefits were being cut.

rscott posted:

Wichita is talking about cutting their public transportation services altogether after 2019 because of that dumb law that freezes spending levels of municipal governments forever and ever until the end of time, things are working as intended

Truly, the Brownback economy is a creator of jobs.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

LLSix posted:

Since public sector jobs are actually negative jobs, this is a good thing.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

LLSix posted:

Ohhhh, now I understand the confusion. No, you were voting for job craters.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

blowfish posted:

Since public sector jobs are actually negative jobs, this is a good thing.

Well clearly the private sector will step in and provide profitable transportation to replace the buses and trains that the local government had been wasting money on. Right? Right?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Surely a venture capitalist will finance an app that will solve this problem!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Wichita already has the worst public transportation system (and by extension lowest ridership rates) of any top 50 metro area

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

rscott posted:

Wichita already has the worst public transportation system (and by extension lowest ridership rates) of any top 50 metro area

That's probably because Wichita is the #85 metro area in the country, nearly 500,000 people behind #50 (Buffalo, NY)

anonumos posted:

Well clearly the private sector will step in and provide profitable transportation to replace the buses and trains that the local government had been wasting money on. Right? Right?

Last time there were trains for public transit in Wichita was like 1945.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 16, 2016

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014
https://twitter.com/cityofmhk/status/765170966632640513
https://twitter.com/cityofmhk/status/765224066739417089
https://twitter.com/cityofmhk/status/765578886847401984

lmao i'm moving

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

That's probably because Wichita is the #85 metro area in the country, nearly 500,000 people behind #50 (Buffalo, NY)

Last time there were trains for public transit in Wichita was like 1945.

I conflated city with metro area whoops me. The statistic was a rate stat though not a counting one, I think around a half percent per year or something terrible like that.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

That's pretty bold of them to call themselves Manhattan when they're just a rural shithole with a few strip malls.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

effectual posted:

That's pretty bold of them to call themselves Manhattan when they're just a rural shithole with a few strip malls.

Best part is that if you live in Kansas and talk about how you're going to Manhattan everyone assumes you're talking about the rural shithole and not the island.

Worst part about it is that after living here for about 5 years I'm starting to think like that too :(

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

Sleep tight my little demoman
College Slice
They must be the only city in the U.S. to have the same name as another, larger city.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Best part is that if you live in Kansas and talk about how you're going to Manhattan everyone assumes you're talking about the rural shithole and not the island.

Worst part about it is that after living here for about 5 years I'm starting to think like that too :(

Imagine that, they are talking about the city an hour away from them and not the city halfway across the United States...

Stryguy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 17, 2016

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Stryguy posted:

They must be the only city in the U.S. to have the same name as another, larger city.

There are, sadly, over a dozen "Paris"s in the US, and off of the top of my head I know that there is a London, Ontario and a London, Ohio. I'm sure that there are more, but this is just off of the top of my head. I personally think that people should be a little more clever with place names myself.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

JustJeff88 posted:

There are, sadly, over a dozen "Paris"s in the US, and off of the top of my head I know that there is a London, Ontario and a London, Ohio. I'm sure that there are more, but this is just off of the top of my head. I personally think that people should be a little more clever with place names myself.

Also Miami, Ohio

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

JustJeff88 posted:

New Hampshire has a Derry and Londonderry, separate towns, right next to each other.

In Northern Ireland Derry and Londonderry are the same drat town.

Basically city-namers are uncreative assholes.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

fordham posted:

New Hampshire has a Derry and Londonderry, separate towns, right next to each other.

In Northern Ireland Derry and Londonderry are the same drat town.

Basically city-namers are uncreative assholes.

My old university was in Missouri. When the town the university is in was founded they narrowed the potential names down to two. The first option was Hardscrabble. Now, I realize there are a few towns in the US named Hardscrabble, but I like that name. I mean, this would have been q mining town in the middle of nowhere. It would be a hard scrabble place. The other option was to name the town after a city back East some of the founders had a special connection to, Raleigh. The trouble was the founders thought them East Coasters were pretentious for making the name so hard to spell do they simplified it. And that's how the city of Rolla was named.

Point is the people who name cities loving suck.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

alpha_destroy posted:

My old university was in Missouri. When the town the university is in was founded they narrowed the potential names down to two. The first option was Hardscrabble. Now, I realize there are a few towns in the US named Hardscrabble, but I like that name. I mean, this would have been q mining town in the middle of nowhere. It would be a hard scrabble place. The other option was to name the town after a city back East some of the founders had a special connection to, Raleigh. The trouble was the founders thought them East Coasters were pretentious for making the name so hard to spell do they simplified it. And that's how the city of Rolla was named.

Point is the people who name cities loving suck.

I'm always amused by towns with French names, most of which are out east (in both Canada and the US) that Americans (and many non-francophone Canadians) don't even bother to try and pronounce correctly. Dubois (doo-boyz) Pennsylvania was an infuriating example, while way out west is Boise Idaho which was originally bwa-zay, meaning "wooded" in French because it's the only town in Idaho with any loving trees.

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

Sleep tight my little demoman
College Slice

JustJeff88 posted:

I was being sarcastic -- there are like 6 Manhattans in the U.S alone. My point was that insulting Manhattan for it's name (and comparing it to a much larger city) is silly. It's actually a nice little city that contributes a lot to this dismal state with its various institutions.

Come on guys, pot shotting Kansas is easy because 70% of the state has the IQ of a banana, but there are a few bright spots if you look really, really hard. There are much more relevant things to insult than names of cities.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Koirhor posted:

Also Miami, Ohio

This won't be a problem in about ten more years

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Stryguy posted:

I was being sarcastic -- there are like 6 Manhattans in the U.S alone. My point was that insulting Manhattan for it's name (and comparing it to a much larger city) is silly. It's actually a nice little city that contributes a lot to this dismal state with its various institutions.

I figured that you probably were, I was just making conversation to temporarily distract from the misery of falling further and further into a nightmarish capitalist dystopia. We're all doing it, but KS is doing it faster than most.

I've lived in numerous "college towns", many of which are the only bright spot in a sea of poo poo, and they tend to be quite nice if overpriced. I am not the person to ask about what places make for good living because I utterly loathe large cities for more reasons than I would ever care to type.

Stryguy posted:

Come on guys, pot shotting Kansas is easy because 70% of the state has the IQ of a banana, but there are a few bright spots if you look really, really hard. There are much more relevant things to insult than names of cities.

Perhaps, but we do NOT insult bananas on this forum. Mods, schnell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Koirhor posted:

Also Miami, Ohio

That's actually a coincidence. There were two different and unrelated Native American nations located in Ohio and Florida that both called themselves names that phonetically sound like "Miami."

• Locked thread