Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

COOL CORN posted:

Rodney just seems so genuinely happy :shobon:

It's because he's Canadian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Reddit. This is fuckin' pathetic. I don't even want to think how they managed to stretch this to 16 hours of hell. :psyduck:

Codenames is in there. Sounds like 14 hours of codenames broken up by a single round of the others.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Last night I finally got to play Mare Nostrum Empires (though it was the base additional, so no kickstarter stuff).

It was a 4 player game of all first timers. I was Carthage which starts in the bottom left corner.
The basic game flow is cool in that the phase order for each is decided by whoever is currently leading the victory track in that phase. So whoever has the most military might decides who moves/attacks first, then second, third and fourth. Culture is those with the most cities and temples and Trade is led by whoever has the highest caravans and markets.

The empires are different in their starting areas, playing as Carthage I was shoved into a corner with little free area to expand into. Carthage's innate strength is that Hannibal allows the use of 1 duplicate resource token when buying and he starts with only 1 coin being produced a turn and many resources. This kind of led me into going for the Wonder/Hero victory which is simply filling all 5 slots costing 7,8,9,10 respectively. I did eventually win, though the other players started retaliating not through military strength but locking me out of unique resources by not selecting any of my attractive offers. Though the turn I won I only won due to the fact I had a hero called Perseus who's entire purpose is usurping the proper order of play to declare victory. 2 of the 3 others had victory conditions detailed for the end of that round.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cerepol posted:

Though the turn I won I only won due to the fact I had a hero called Perseus who's entire purpose is usurping the proper order of play to declare victory. 2 of the 3 others had victory conditions detailed for the end of that round.

This is how games for me have gone. I really like board games that allow for multiple avenues of victory especially when equally skilled players come neck and neck to win. Carthage is hard to get to and they're in a position to manipulate the trade market which leads to the other players agreeing on what resources they offer. A lot of games of these types don't really have avenues for discussion but I find it to be a very chatty game.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Cerepol posted:

Codenames is in there. Sounds like 14 hours of codenames broken up by a single round of the others.

Speaking of Codenames, this is another game I do not get. Reading about it makes it sound like the best game ever made, won all kinds of awards, was pushed hugely at Gencon, but I don't get it. I've played it. Probably for like 2 hours (because my friends don't know when to stop). I was incredibly underwhelmed. Why do people find this game so fun?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Clanpot Shake posted:

Speaking of Codenames, this is another game I do not get. Reading about it makes it sound like the best game ever made, won all kinds of awards, was pushed hugely at Gencon, but I don't get it. I've played it. Probably for like 2 hours (because my friends don't know when to stop). I was incredibly underwhelmed. Why do people find this game so fun?

Because playing it for 2 hours is ridiculous. You play a few games, trading in and out because people need to get up and go to the bathroom or want to play something else or watch the kid or is just done. And it fills that spot pretty brilliantly, and better than other stuff in that weight class.

That really only answers part of your question. If you don't like word association, then you don't like it, not a problem. Do you like Dixit, or Mysterium, or ugh apples 2 apples or cards against humanity?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also it's a good game when you've got a good sized group, I've played with 7 and I've played with 4 and 7 is vastly superior. It's still as fast with more players though. I think actually with less than 6 it's kind of a flat game, unless maybe you had like each team be a couple.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

It really depends on the people you're playing with but I also don't think it's amazing. It's fun as an ice breaker, and as long as you have an even group you can technically play with dozens. It's also deep enough to keep me interested for a bit while approachable enough for my grandma.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Clanpot Shake posted:

It's really fun for people who aren't into anything heavier.

If it's up to me and if the group is capable, I'd rather play something with more depth to it.

But if you're teaching a game or playing with a group including your mom, Codenames is a king of the party games genre.

I once played a 2 1/2 hour game of Ticket to Ride, which took 2 1/2 hours because people kept leaving the table to attend to other stuff, or were goofing off on their phone and weren't paying attention to the game state EXCEPT for when it was their turn. Then they'd spend a few minutes looking over the changes, looking through their cards, and then make their EASY EASY CHOICES and then go back to being distracted. It was torture, and I don't think I played another game of Ticket to Ride for at least 2 years after that.

Codenames has worked out GREAT in that environment with the same group, because people can come and go as they please and it doesn't interrupt the game and ruin it for everyone else. And I can then wander away when I'm bored with it after 20-30 minutes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I know I'm late to the party, but I finally got my hands on Kingdom Death: Monster.

I was sold when two of our characters had a child and were promptly decapitated by a giant white lion, and their child took a stone from their graves and marked himself, swore revenge, picked up his father's bone sword and made his way into the darkness.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

It really depends on the people you're playing with but I also don't think it's amazing. It's fun as an ice breaker, and as long as you have an even group you can technically play with dozens. It's also deep enough to keep me interested for a bit while approachable enough for my grandma.

The other thing I'll say is that it (Codenames) really depends on the group.

I've played with a few groups who never venture beyond clue:2 (and often do singles) and the game feels pretty pointless. I've also seen groups that have decided that the clue rules aren't important and pound out terrible rhyming/same-first-letter type clues and wonder why they're not having any fun.

The game works best if your primary goal is spectacular clues that might connect (and you play fast!), with a secondary goal of winning. If you're just walking it in, slowly devising clue:2's that hit consistently, it can be pretty lame. Games should end quickly, with people discussing post-mortem whether "dragons" or "labs" are more "tubular".

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, codenames plays best with 6+ players and best when you're aiming for clue: 4+ as well as actually adhering to the rules. In that context, it's a great loving party game that's easy to teach and plays quickly either as filler or for a group who doesn't really want to play anything more complex. It's also a good alternate suggestion when someone casually mentions how they'd like to play cards against humanity or some other garbage.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Millennial Sexlord posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but I finally got my hands on Kingdom Death: Monster.

I was sold when two of our characters had a child and were promptly decapitated by a giant white lion, and their child took a stone from their graves and marked himself, swore revenge, picked up his father's bone sword and made his way into the darkness.

Sounds like a good story but what about the $400 game elevated beyond what any RPG system could do (arguably better)?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hauki posted:

It's also a good alternate suggestion when someone casually mentions how they'd like to play cards against humanity or some other garbage.

If all it does for you is keep you from suffering through Cards Against Humanity or Exploding Kittens, then Codenames has done a lot of good for you already

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Sounds like a good story but what about the $400 game elevated beyond what any RPG system could do (arguably better)?

That's why you play it on TTS, cause your GM less and no one really wants to put in the effort atm.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Tekopo posted:

Uvulabob come back :cry:

I want Scott Nicholson to come back, but I know he's happier teaching people to make transformative games and writing papers about escape rooms. :unsmith:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

When you play it on Tabletop Simulator for free, who cares?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The guy I was replying to didn't mention TTS at all...?

quote:

And I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious what about the game justifies the cost.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I've always had a soft spot for DM-less "RPG" board games but I actually don't really know anything about Kingdom Death (is ": Monster" technically part of the title or what?) besides that there is at least one weird titty blob monster, it's expensive and rare, and the giant ton of miniatures consisting of parts on sprues ready for assembly probably means that most copies are still sitting unplayed.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
^^^

I think the setting is referred to as Kingdom Death, and existed before this game. Monster is the game itself. Think like Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan. Setting: This Piece of Media

Bottom Liner posted:

The guy I was replying to didn't mention TTS at all...?

And I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious what about the game justifies the cost.

The guy you replied to was me.

And most of the cost of the game is in the excellent high quality miniatures and well made components. Its a 15 pound box.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 16, 2016

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Would you mind elaborating on how it works and plays? I'm genuinely curious.

If there's a TTS version that would be pretty cool. I didn't see it in the list when I quickly checked, though.

BTW did 401games.ca go belly-up or something? For a while now they redirect to store.401games.ca which is a big fat 404 error and it's been waaaaay too long now for someone not to have noticed/fixed it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The guy you replied to was me.

Yeah, their answers to my question were "it's not $400 on TTS" which is a non-answer. So the mini's are what are worth it to you? Would it be a good game if it were say $60 without the minis?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

Would you mind elaborating on how it works and plays? I'm genuinely curious.

Basically the game is a group of primitive humans trying to survive in a hellish, dangerous world of eternal night. You play through 3 phases each "lantern year"; Hunt, Showdown, and Develop.

Hunting is where you choose a quarry and track it down, experiencing events and encounters along the way. This is where alot of the setting flavor comes into play.

Showdown is an indepth tactical turn based battle between the players and a single boss level monster. The monster operates on ansemi randomly constructed AI deck which controls its actions and also doubles as its health. Lots of flavor in the hit locations and possible serious injuries, and the combat is dice based and pretty tense. Positioning is stupidly important. Victory here is BY NO MEANS a given; this game is hard as poo poo.

Develop is where the settlement builds, crafts gear, develops new social principles and technology, and manages the returning survivors (if any). Each cycle pushes the timeline along, and all kinds of story events take place here, with a variety of effects.

Game is designed to play as a campaign over multiple sessions, with permanent death and consequences. You will lose people and rescources, and very likely will end up all dying and losing the game. Losing is fun!

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, their answers to my question were "it's not $400 on TTS" which is a non-answer. So the mini's are what are worth it to you? Would it be a good game if it were say $60 without the minis?

The game would still be good, but the minis mean nothing to me. Hence why I'm playing it in tts.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Mister Sinewave posted:

BTW did 401games.ca go belly-up or something? For a while now they redirect to store.401games.ca which is a big fat 404 error and it's been waaaaay too long now for someone not to have noticed/fixed it.

No, they're doing great and their website still works fine for me... http://store.401games.ca/ is where they're at.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Weird it must be cached in my browser or something because that's where I'm going. Thanks for the check.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So my African Grey parrot Merlin got in range of a shelf of six boardgames and this is the result:

He did not touch any of the four others, guess he likes Alban's artwork.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hey, trigger warning that poo poo man!

(the lovely delivery man left my Small City on the stoop, on a day with 100% chance downpour, and didn't wrap it in a plastic bag. Luckily it was wrapped tight but the rain soaked through the shipping box completely, seeped through the cellophane, and ripped the corners of the cover)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My dog is generally well-behaved but she really likes chewing on certain types of cardboard, so we have to be careful about what we leave on the floor.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey what do you nerds think of Captain Sonar

And when does Seafall come out

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Mister Sinewave posted:

Weird it must be cached in my browser or something because that's where I'm going. Thanks for the check.

I've had the same problem, messaged them on Facebook - apparently others are as well but they don't know what's up with it. Maybe some ISP is doing something weird?

e: actually it works in an alternate browser, I'd even tried flushing DNS but there must be some firefox setting to try first.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Delete all the 401.ca cookies, I had that happen before and after clearing their cookies it worked fine again.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Hey, I'm looking for a good game to introduce my little brother to some more tactics-based games at his request. I own lots of games would teach tactics and strategy like Ticket to Ride or Dominion or some such but he's getting to that age where he's more excited by something a little more fantastical. I tried playing netrunner with him but seems that a lot of the concepts like resource management and card advantage is a little beyond him. I ordered the LOTR card game because that's coop and might be a good way to teach him by doing kinda thing? Are there any other LCGs or board games that might teach him to think more tactically?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Geektox posted:

Hey, I'm looking for a good game to introduce my little brother to some more tactics-based games at his request. I own lots of games would teach tactics and strategy like Ticket to Ride or Dominion or some such but he's getting to that age where he's more excited by something a little more fantastical. I tried playing netrunner with him but seems that a lot of the concepts like resource management and card advantage is a little beyond him. I ordered the LOTR card game because that's coop and might be a good way to teach him by doing kinda thing? Are there any other LCGs or board games that might teach him to think more tactically?

I don't know exactly how old he is, Pathfinder Adventure Cards might be a fun theme for him? It is fairly "light" tactical, he will have to come up with strategies but its not a brain burning euro (and there is lots of fun dice rolling). If Netrunner is too much it may be too advanced though, I donno :shrug:

Don't teach him Magic Cards, unless you want to create a monster.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Pandemic? I introduced a geography teacher friend of mine to the game, and he plays it in class with his seventh graders. They apparently go insane over it. Just frame it as SAVING THE World (from zombies even) and get his imagination going

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Pathfinder cards are terrible, don't listen to Rutibex.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

cenotaph posted:

He's terrible, don't listen to Rutibex.

Fixed that for you.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've seen several people post about Mare Nostrum: Empires. Could anyone compare it to Antike II? They seem to be very similar at least superficially.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Phi230 posted:

Hey what do you nerds think of Captain Sonar

Played it three times today, with the full 8 people. If you liked Space Cadets Dice Duel but thought it should use less dice and more Letters from Whitechapel, you'll like it. It's pretty cool. I'm not sure I'd want to play it with any number other than 8 though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Geektox posted:

How old is he exactly and what have you been playing with him until now?

Pandemic is a pretty good suggestion imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Geektox posted:

What age range and what are you thinking in terms of tactics? If you're referring to more short term in the moment decisions to gain minor advantages, Keyflower or another cutthroat worker placement style game might be what you're looking for. You walk in with an overall strategy, but you're also constantly vying for small tactical advantages the entire game.

Argent: the Consortium is another good game in that line of thinking - the entire game boils down to a series of tactical decisions with tons of interactivity. Plus, you get to set other people's mages on fire. That's always good for a laugh.

I haven't gotten it to the table yet, but Millenium Blades might work as far as an LCG style game goes. Your entire strategy changes on the fly as you constantly gain new cards. The tournament itself might be somewhat anemic compared to a full card game, but the experience of putting together a winning combination of cards and managing that in the first place is the focus of the game (and might get him more interested in LCG games with deckbuiling before the game starts).